Is the S5 tri-band ?

Search This thread

hakeem0996

Nov 4, 2007
Does anyone know if the S5 is tri-band with spark just like the 720T S4 ?

Sent from my SPH-L720T using xda app-developers app

eyecon82

May 30, 2010
Yep. It's spark enabled. Which I hate because no simultaneous voice and data over LTE

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

eyecon82

May 30, 2010
I heard it's supposed to be coming sometime around June correct? Trying to remember where I saw I mentioned

yea...sprint hasn't upgraded their network to enable simultaneous voice and LTE with spark....but i heard they are working on....i hope its not region based and they can get all the towers working on it at once

i miss being able to mess around on the internet while on hold

eloko

Nov 22, 2010
Why spark being the fastest networks, can't talk and data same time.... Nonsense.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

sleshepic

Inactive Recognized Themer
Oct 18, 2011
PA
Im not in a spark area but still getting much better 4g speeds than my Note 2. Be it modem or whatever its nice

Attachments

• 1397339238044.jpg
    1397339238044.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 331

themuffinman

Jan 3, 2008
yea...sprint hasn't upgraded their network to enable simultaneous voice and LTE with spark....but i heard they are working on....i hope its not region based and they can get all the towers working on it at once

It has nothing to do with upgrading spark to enable voice and lte, sorry but that is completely wrong. Its device specific and not the network, the reason why its not possible is because there is only one radio path with the current crop of tri-band devices which makes it impossible to have lte and voice at the same time so nothing can be done on the network side to make it work. The reason why it was possible on previous non tri-band devices was because they had more than one radio path. I am sure its possible but maybe it just proved too costly and too inefficient to implement Also keep in mind that none of the other wireless carriers can do voice and lte at the same time. The gs5 on att/tmobile, once a call is initiated will drop lte all together but at least they still have the luxury of hspa to fall back on for data in the mean time.

eyecon82

May 30, 2010
It has nothing to do with upgrading spark to enable voice and lte, sorry but that is completely wrong. Its device specific and not the network, the reason why its not possible is because there is only one radio path with the current crop of tri-band devices which makes it impossible to have lte and voice at the same time so nothing can be done on the network side to make it work. The reason why it was possible on previous non tri-band devices was because they had more than one radio path. I am sure its possible but maybe it just proved too costly and too inefficient to implement Also keep in mind that none of the other wireless carriers can do voice and lte at the same time. The gs5 on att/tmobile, once a call is initiated will drop lte all together but at least they still have the luxury of hspa to fall back on for data in the mean time.

Are you sure? Everything I gave read indicates it's a network issue rather than hardware

The s4 didn't have the svdo radio so we lost simultaneous voice and data on 3g and the original s4 could do it without the extra radio

LordLugard

Apr 25, 2008
NYC
Are you sure? Everything I gave read indicates it's a network issue rather than hardware

The s4 didn't have the svdo radio so we lost simultaneous voice and data on 3g and the original s4 could do it without the extra radio

Non-triband Sprint LTE phones "supported simultaneous voice and LTE (SVLTE). It could do so with two separate transmission paths from the antennas to the chipset. Voice/texting could run via 1xRTT on one transmission path. LTE could run a separate path, allowing data and voice to be used simultaneously."

"In contrast, Sprint Triband LTE devices do not support two separate transmission paths. They have one path, shared by voice/SMS and data. We were alerted to this months in advance. However, we did not realize that the network would have to run on Circuit Switched Fallback in order for this to work and what the ramifications of this would be."

Source: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/...-due-to-circuit-switched-fallback-technology/

It's a very informative and extensive read-up and explains, sadly, what is going on.

eyecon82

May 30, 2010
Non-triband Sprint LTE phones "supported simultaneous voice and LTE (SVLTE). It could do so with two separate transmission paths from the antennas to the chipset. Voice/texting could run via 1xRTT on one transmission path. LTE could run a separate path, allowing data and voice to be used simultaneously."

"In contrast, Sprint Triband LTE devices do not support two separate transmission paths. They have one path, shared by voice/SMS and data. We were alerted to this months in advance. However, we did not realize that the network would have to run on Circuit Switched Fallback in order for this to work and what the ramifications of this would be."

Source: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/...-due-to-circuit-switched-fallback-technology/

It's a very informative and extensive read-up and explains, sadly, what is going on.

great article and it proves my point that simultaneous voice and data will be available via triband LTE in the future and its a network issue, not phone hardware

"Yes, this is an issue of all Triband devices, as they are dependent on CSFB to be present on the Sprint network in order to be able to use LTE.

The problem is not Triband LTE devices, but rather that the Sprint network is not currently upgraded enough in all places that currently have LTE"

Basically, Switchback Mode needs to be enabled for us to have simultaneous voice and data over LTE

" when a Sprint LTE Triband device is in Sprint LTE coverage it parks only in LTE. And doing so means it cannot transmit calls without Circuit Switched Fallback (CSFB) on the network side. CSFB and eCSFB (Enhanced Circuit Switched Fallback) are network controls that will allow a single mode/single path network to operate in two modes, both CDMA and LTE"

Prior to triband phones, there were 2 radios...one for CDMA, and one for LTE...but now it's all over LTE radio for both calls and data...but not yet enabled, so it can only do 1 at a time currently

---------- Post added at 07:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 AM ----------

it says right there in in bold in your quote that you need "Circuit Switched Fallback" to have 2 transmission paths on one radio...but it is not yet enabled

Last edited:

themuffinman

Jan 3, 2008

Yes, I am very sure, its in the radio design. Even with previous devices that could do svdo and svlte, it was because of radio design of the hardware and not because of the network.

eyecon82

May 30, 2010
Yes, I am very sure, its in the radio design. Even with previous devices that could do svdo and svlte, it was because of radio design of the hardware and not because of the network.

Read post #12. You are wrong, respectfully

yes, there is 1 radio..but spark will allow both voice and data over LTE once switchback mode is enabled, hence allowing 2 channels with 1 radio

LordLugard

Apr 25, 2008
NYC
GS5 performs really well on tri-band. I'm getting up to around 40Mbps indoors at home, though I'm just a few blocks from a cellsite. The first 3 results are on Google Gigabit Fiber in KC, the second three are Sprint Spark.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3812896/Pics/Android/GFIber Sprint GS5.png

BTW, more on Google Fiber here...
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29157624-Google-Fiber-Kansas-City

Spark in NYC has been a disappointment for me. Haven't seen or noticed any improvements at all (I have an LG G2). Typically test as low as 2Mb to as high as 9Mb usually, which is just fine by me. Fast enough to stream stuff without buffering (most times) but it's just not consistent.
Frankly I'll trade some of that theoretical 40Mbps LTE speeds for better LTE coverage and 3G speeds and the ability to talk and surf over 3G and LTE any day. (I know it's not a big deal for lots of folks but i sure enjoyed it when I had the Galaxy S3 and Note 2).

Definitely jealous of your speeds though. :)

themuffinman

Jan 3, 2008
great article and it proves my point that simultaneous voice and data will be available via triband LTE in the future and its a network issue, not phone hardware

"Yes, this is an issue of all Triband devices, as they are dependent on CSFB to be present on the Sprint network in order to be able to use LTE.

The problem is not Triband LTE devices, but rather that the Sprint network is not currently upgraded enough in all places that currently have LTE"

Basically, Switchback Mode needs to be enabled for us to have simultaneous voice and data over LTE

" when a Sprint LTE Triband device is in Sprint LTE coverage it parks only in LTE. And doing so means it cannot transmit calls without Circuit Switched Fallback (CSFB) on the network side. CSFB and eCSFB (Enhanced Circuit Switched Fallback) are network controls that will allow a single mode/single path network to operate in two modes, both CDMA and LTE"

Prior to triband phones, there were 2 radios...one for CDMA, and one for LTE...but now it's all over LTE radio for both calls and data...but not yet enabled, so it can only do 1 at a time currently

---------- Post added at 07:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 AM ----------

it says right there in in bold in your quote that you need "Circuit Switched Fallback" to have 2 transmission paths on one radio...but it is not yet enabled

I am sorry but I don't think you understand what Robert was trying to say in that article. The reason why its not possible is because there is only one transmission path so its only possible for you to be connected either cdma or lte. The purpose of csfb is to let the tri-band device to know when to actually switch, thats why tri-band devices that are in areas that are not fully upgraded with csfb will have connection issues because it doesn't know when to switch. Simultaneous voice and data will not happen with the current hardware design of tri-band devices regardless of whats done in the network side.

EDIT: And when it talks about csfb is needed, its not needed to be able to do cdma and lte modes at the same time its needed to tell the device when to switch to either cdma or lte.

Last edited:

kunundrum78

Jul 20, 2013
I am sorry but I don't think you understand what AJ was trying to say in that article. The reason why its not possible is because there is only one transmission path so its only possible for you to be connected either cdma or lte. The purpose of csfb is to let the tri-band device to know when to actually switch, thats why tri-band devices that are in areas that are not fully upgraded with csfb will have connection issues because it doesn't know when to switch. Simultaneous voice and data will not happen with the current hardware design of tri-band devices regardless of whats done in the network side.

it says it right below

eyecon82

May 30, 2010
I am sorry but I don't think you understand what AJ was trying to say in that article. The reason why its not possible is because there is only one transmission path so its only possible for you to be connected either cdma or lte. The purpose of csfb is to let the tri-band device to know when to actually switch, thats why tri-band devices that are in areas that are not fully upgraded with csfb will have connection issues because it doesn't know when to switch. Simultaneous voice and data will not happen with the current hardware design of tri-band devices regardless of whats done in the network side.

it says it right below

yep....read the above....

---------- Post added at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

EDIT: And when it talks about csfb is needed, its not needed to be able to do cdma and lte modes at the same time its needed to tell the device when to switch to either cdma or lte.

yea, but it says BOTH...not "either"

"allow a single mode/single path network to operate in two modes, both CDMA and LTE"

themuffinman

Jan 3, 2008
it says it right below

---------- Post added at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

"allow a single mode/single path network to operate in two modes, both CDMA and LTE"

Come on guys, you don't understand what the article is saying:

"In contrast, a Sprint Triband LTE device can only stay on one technology at a time. CDMA or LTE, not both. So when a Sprint LTE Triband device is in Sprint LTE coverage it parks only in LTE. And doing so means it cannot transmit calls without Circuit Switched Fallback (CSFB) on the network side. CSFB and eCSFB (Enhanced Circuit Switched Fallback) are network controls that will allow a single mode/single path network to operate in two modes, both CDMA and LTE.

Here is how it works in the simplest way I can describe. When your Triband LTE device has an LTE signal, it cannot receive or make calls on its own. It is just using LTE data happily. However, what if someone calls you? How does it get through the CDMA network to your device? Via CSFB.

When the Sprint network tries to forward a call to your device but cannot see it via CDMA, it then checks for an LTE connection to your device. If it sees one, it tells your device to disconnect from LTE for a moment and reconnect to CDMA. Your device then jumps over to take the call on Sprint CDMA and the LTE session is interrupted. This happens very fast and seamlessly. Except for the loss of data availability. If you receive a text, the Sprint network is able to route it to your device via LTE."

When it talks about both cdma and lte modes, its not meaning both at the same time, it means being able to switch between the two seamlessly. Without csfb there will be issues switching back and forth for tri-band devices. In the last paragraph I quoted from s4gru, it tells you right there how it works. When you get a call csfb tells the device what to do so you can get the call, the transition is seamless except for the loss of data availability. Read the whole article not just that sentence.

EDIT: Here is a link to the thread over on s4gru that talks about it in more detail, ask your questions there to see what they say.
http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5001-breaking-band-tri-band-lte-ecsfb-issues-thread/

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I heard it's supposed to be coming sometime around June correct? Trying to remember where I saw I mentioned

Read post #12. You are wrong, respectfully

yes, there is 1 radio..but spark will allow both voice and data over LTE once switchback mode is enabled, hence allowing 2 channels with 1 radio

it says it right below