[DEVS ONLY] CyanogenMod 11 for Samsung BCM21553 Development Discussion

Search This thread

psyke83

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 29, 2011
WARNING: App2SD and Mounts2SD are not recommended for use with any OTA-enabled ROMs, as they break delta updates, and may cause problems during full upgrades. I suggest using my modified version of S2E, simple2ext_mod, instead.

NOTE 1: I recommend that everyone uses @Bhargav97's Google Apps package (cm11 v2.2 version or later). Other versions of gapps may cause issues or break delta updates.

NOTE 2: You must ensure that your phone is running the latest baseband available for your region, or else your device will not operate correctly when a SIM card is inserted. If you have a cooperve and tassve, you may need to flash the latest totoro baseband (which will work correctly on your device). Please see @marcussmith2626's stock ROM thread for links to the appropriate files.

Information for users:
  • This topic is intended only as a meeting point for other developers of the shared BCM21553 devices to discuss and solve issues related to development. If you are not a developer, please restrict your posts to the general discussion thread so that developers can maintain good communication. Thanks for your understanding.

First-time installation:
  • ClockworkMod v6.0.5.3 or later (MTD version) is mandatory to install CM11. If needed, download the latest recovery build here
  • Download the latest full OTA build for totoro from here
  • If necessary, flash the ClockworkMod v6 build, then reboot into recovery. If you can't flash the CWMv6 update package (.zip) in your existing recovery, use the Odin package (.tar.md5) instead.
  • Perform a data wipe - this is mandatory if upgrading from an older Android revision
  • Flash the OTA package and reboot.
How to update (via OTA):
  • Please consult the cm-ota instructions on Jenkins.

Current issues (06/10/2014)
  • OMX codecs (for accelerated audio/video - may never be solved)
  • SIM unlock doesn't work (you must remove your SIM lock in another device/ROM)
  • Video recorder

Summary of major work done:
  • Forked broadcomCM devices into androidarmv6 repository (forked from ics branches).
  • Initial changes needed for cm-11.0 have been committed to cooperve, tassve, totoro and bcm21553-common device trees.
  • All of Broadcom's code has been adapted for the cm-11.0 branch.
  • After some reverse engineering of the vendor binaries, "adbd" and "init" built from source now work correctly. ADB will now set the proper USB mode, can give a root shell, and no longer has a hardcoded dependency on /system/bin/sh, which should help a great deal with debugging. We also no longer need to use the init prebuilt binary - the source-built version is now compatible.
  • Implemented common kernel source for totoro, cooperve and tassve.
  • Implemented hybrid boot/recovery/charge ramdisk.
  • Fixed WiFi, Bluetooth, Bluetooth tether & mac addresses.
  • Fixed graphical performance regression on CM11 branch.
  • Fixed basic audio (speaker, microphone, software encoders/decoders)
  • Fixed GPS.
  • Fixed Gallery, wallpaper chooser, live wallpapers, RenderScript, and possible EGL crashes in other apps
  • Added workaround for SystemUI corruption
  • Fixed graphical corruption/stability issues (caused by buggy GL_EXT_discard_framebuffer extension)
  • Fixed RIL, telephony and audio routing to speakers, headset, earpiece, microphone and microphone mute.
  • Audio routing improvements/fixes, small graphics performance optimizations
  • Fixed camera
  • Fixed wifi tethering
  • Updated to newer bcmdhd wifi driver to resolve wifi instability
  • Fixed USB tethering (with caveats)
  • Improved audio routing and fixed BT headsets (SCO)

* = this code is work in progress, which means that it is not yet available in the OTA build.

XDA:DevDB Information
CyanogenMod 11 for Samsung BCM21553 series, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Y GT-S5360

Contributors
psyke83

Version Information

Created 2014-10-27
Last Updated 2014-10-27

Last edited:

Alberto96

Recognized Developer
Feb 24, 2010
Modugno (BA)
Samsung Galaxy S4
LeEco Le 2
Ok, tested on CM9.

Hardware is fully initialized, but seems that there is an heavy memory corruption (like you said).

I/DEBUG ( 4743): debuggerd committing suicide to free the zombie!
F/libc ( 4747): Fatal signal 13 (SIGPIPE) at 0x0000128b (code=0)
F/libc ( 4748): Fatal signal 13 (SIGPIPE) at 0x0000128c (code=0)
F/libc ( 4749): Fatal signal 13 (SIGPIPE) at 0x0000128d (code=0)
F/libc ( 4750): Fatal signal 13 (SIGPIPE) at 0x0000128e (code=0)
F/libc ( 4751): Fatal signal 13 (SIGPIPE) at 0x0000128f (code=0)
F/libc ( 4752): Fatal signal 13 (SIGPIPE) at 0x00001290 (code=0)
F/libc ( 4753): Fatal signal 13 (SIGPIPE) at 0x00001291 (code=0)
F/libc ( 4754): Fatal signal 13 (SIGPIPE) at 0x00001292 (code=0)

I adapted almost all, i wasn't able to adapt just property_service.c & property_service.h so recovery/charging mode isn't working yet.

Great job @psyke83 !

psyke83

Mar 29, 2011
Ok, tested on CM9.
Hardware is fully initialized, but seems that there is an heavy memory corruption (like you said).
Great job @psyke83 !

Thanks for testing. To be clear, you're saying that CM9 boots into Android with the init built from the CM9 sources? I'm particularly curious to know if surfaceflinger is working OK. I suspected that something in the init may be causing problems either with the framebuffer or hgl libraries for CM11, but if it works on CM9, then I might be wrong.

I've merged the cm-11 bringup patches for tassve and cooperve. I can only confirm that it will allow the builds to complete (when all of the other integration patches are applied), but I imagine there will be more bugs that need fixing. If you find major bugs with the device configs, please submit them to gerrit or at least let me know,

We also need to organize a proper shared kernel source that we can integrate into the build system, and then get rid of the prebuilt kernels. Until then, you may need to recompile the kernel and modify your board files so that it doesn't use that generic "Thunderbird" name. The init.rc files are expecting the machine name to be "GT-S5360 Board", "GT-S5570I Board", etc. The init binary reads the machine name from the cmdline, and then converts to lowercase and filters spaces. So, the .rc file for the totoro would be "gt-s5360board" -> "init.gt-s5360board.rc".

Last edited:

Alberto96

Recognized Developer
Feb 24, 2010
Modugno (BA)
Samsung Galaxy S4
LeEco Le 2
Thanks for testing. To be clear, you're saying that CM9 boots into Android with the init built from the CM9 sources? I'm particularly curious to know if surfaceflinger is working OK. I suspected that something in the init may be causing problems either with the framebuffer or hgl libraries for CM11, but if it works on CM9, then I might be wrong.

I've merged the cm-11 bringup patches for tassve and cooperve. I can only confirm that it will allow the builds to complete (when all of the other integration patches are applied), but I imagine there will be more bugs that need fixing. If you find major bugs with the device configs, please submit them to gerrit or at least let me know,

We also need to organize a proper shared kernel source that we can integrate into the build system, and then get rid of the prebuilt kernels. Until then, you may need to recompile the kernel and modify your board files so that it doesn't use that generic "Thunderbird" name. The init.rc files are expecting the machine name to be "GT-S5360 Board", "GT-S5570I Board", etc. The init binary reads the machine name from the cmdline, and then converts to lowercase and filters spaces. So, the .rc file for the totoro would be "gt-s5360board" -> "init.gt-s5360board.rc".

Yes, CM9 with source built init & adbd binaries boots fine.

True, a proper shared kernel is better. But we also need an updated kernel source (request processing by Samsung osrc)

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

psyke83

Mar 29, 2011
Good news: I just discovered that surfaceflinger works if I remove the hwcomposer.default library. However, there is some graphical distortion, and the colours are incorrect. Still, it's some progress. Will try to troubleshoot hwcomposer now.

savie

Feb 8, 2012
android_native.h similiar with ANativeObjectBase.h without include <android/native_window.h>

updater-script cant run in cwm5 so need modified wanna force try to flash zip package but still not luck for boot coz messy ramdisk code.

temporary cwm6 still black screen so since its not working modified ramdisk is 1st think to do with old cwm5 (in my case) to running dualboot (stock cm) at least to make it boot 1st.
@psyke83 great work and still follow ur update from behind :)

psyke83

Mar 29, 2011
Yes, CM9 with source built init & adbd binaries boots fine.

True, a proper shared kernel is better. But we also need an updated kernel source (request processing by Samsung osrc)

Was there a white-screen bug with the init you built from source? I notice on my totoro that the screen turns white when the screen returns from off. It happens both in charge mode and in Android itself. I'm not sure if it's a bug caused by init or just something related to the stock kernel. I haven't been working with this device for very long, so I'm not aware of any common issues with the kernel, etc.

This means cm11 boots now ?

sorry for offtopic,but are you back????

There's a general thread for off-topic posts (linked in the first paragraph of my first post)... please use it in future. This thread is supposed to be for developers to collaborate and fix bugs only.

Alberto96

Recognized Developer
Feb 24, 2010
Modugno (BA)
Samsung Galaxy S4
LeEco Le 2
Was there a white-screen bug with the init you built from source? I notice on my totoro that the screen turns white when the screen returns from off. It happens both in charge mode and in Android itself. I'm not sure if it's a bug caused by init or just something related to the stock kernel. I haven't been working with this device for very long, so I'm not aware of any common issues with the kernel, etc.

No white screen bug here. (i'm using my ramdisk but with source built init/adbd)

It should a bug related to missing backlight permissions:

chown system system /sys/class/backlight/aat1401-backlight/brightness
chown system system /sys/class/backlight/pwm-keypad-backlight.0/brightness

I had this bug when i've removed these lines

Last edited:

psyke83

Mar 29, 2011
@bieltv.3, @Alberto96,

The shared kernel is working, but has only been tested with totoro. It only has basic functionality and certain drivers need updating, but for now, it can be a stable reference point. Can you please give me your current working defconfigs for your respective devices? I will update them to be compliant with CM11's configuration requirements and submit as initial defconfigs, to see if the kernel can work for your devices. Thanks.

bieltv3

Jun 12, 2012
Barcelona
@bieltv.3, @Alberto96,

The shared kernel is working, but has only been tested with totoro. It only has basic functionality and certain drivers need updating, but for now, it can be a stable reference point. Can you please give me your current working defconfigs for your respective devices? I will update them to be compliant with CM11's configuration requirements and submit as initial defconfigs, to see if the kernel can work for your devices. Thanks.

I will push cooperve kernel source this afternoon. Thanks for your work done, really appreciate. I hope I can upload tassve too, if Alberto dont mind. I will base it though on your tototo config, but on cooperve. As far as I know, cooperve need changes on its modules to get the kernel work good, as it have a different canera driver (updated one for 5 MP and flash)

Enviat des del meu Xperia SP usant Tapatalk

Alberto96

Recognized Developer
Feb 24, 2010
Modugno (BA)
Samsung Galaxy S4
LeEco Le 2
@bieltv.3, @Alberto96,

You can find my defconfig on github. It's updated.

https://github.com/Alberto96/androi...arch/arm/configs/cyanogenmod_tassve_defconfig

Last edited:

Alberto96

Recognized Developer
Feb 24, 2010
Modugno (BA)
Samsung Galaxy S4
LeEco Le 2
@psyke83 :

On CM9 using tassve kernel with built-in gememalloc there are problems (with heavy heavy heavy graphic corruption and laggy screen). (this error in logcat: [v3d_opt.c:v3d_thread:1415] wait timed out [1500]ms )

your commit (https://github.com/androidarmv6/and...mmit/17cd93229df1ff8f5f7616398b8b792a8fbd1c92) should fix this.

If i use your egl commit and use built-in gememalloc all should work but it will work as is on CM11 with heavy graphic corruption.

Without using built-in gememalloc and your egl commit CM9 runs great with much less corruption than CM11.

We should investigate more on this....something is wrong here with memory allocation.

psyke83

Mar 29, 2011
@psyke83 :

On CM9 using tassve kernel with built-in gememalloc there are problems (with heavy heavy heavy graphic corruption and laggy screen). (this error in logcat: [v3d_opt.c:v3d_thread:1415] wait timed out [1500]ms )

your commit (https://github.com/androidarmv6/and...mmit/17cd93229df1ff8f5f7616398b8b792a8fbd1c92) should fix this.

If i use your egl commit and use built-in gememalloc all should work but it will work as is on CM11 with heavy graphic corruption.

Without using built-in gememalloc and your egl commit CM9 runs great with much less corruption than CM11.

We should investigate more on this....something is wrong here with memory allocation.

Good observations, thanks. CM11 seems to work exactly the same with or without the gememalloc modules loaded (in the case in which it's not compiled-in). However, I think that the gememalloc is only a wrapper module, and a lot of functions are bypassed in favour of bmem.

I was trying to avoid this, but I think it's best for me to download the ICS source and run a build. Maybe I can get some better ideas on solving these issue with CM11. In the meantime, please let me know if you make any more progress. Thanks.

Alberto96

Recognized Developer
Feb 24, 2010
Modugno (BA)
Samsung Galaxy S4
LeEco Le 2
Good observations, thanks. CM11 seems to work exactly the same with or without the gememalloc modules loaded (in the case in which it's not compiled-in). However, I think that the gememalloc is only a wrapper module, and a lot of functions are bypassed in favour of bmem.

I was trying to avoid this, but I think it's best for me to download the ICS source and run a build. Maybe I can get some better ideas on solving these issue with CM11. In the meantime, please let me know if you make any more progress. Thanks.

Maybe I'll try something next week. I need to update first some stuff for another device (gt-i9500, samsung finally released 4.4.2 sources for it).

psyke83

Mar 29, 2011
Alberto,

I'm up and running with ICS now. Performance is very good and I don't see graphics corruption, but it is unstable. I believe it's the same issue with bmem allocation that the alcatel code fixes.

Anyway, I'm about to test the built-in gememalloc, but something else that you can try is to disable loading of all modules in system/lib/modules with the regular kernel (no gememalloc built-in). I just tried it here on ICS, and I see absolutely no difference in graphics performance with or without the modules loaded. I suspect those modules are used for other things, possibly related to video decoding.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WARNING: App2SD and Mounts2SD are not recommended for use with any OTA-enabled ROMs, as they break delta updates, and may cause problems during full upgrades. I suggest using my modified version of S2E, simple2ext_mod, instead.

NOTE 1: I recommend that everyone uses @Bhargav97's Google Apps package (cm11 v2.2 version or later). Other versions of gapps may cause issues or break delta updates.

NOTE 2: You must ensure that your phone is running the latest baseband available for your region, or else your device will not operate correctly when a SIM card is inserted. If you have a cooperve and tassve, you may need to flash the latest totoro baseband (which will work correctly on your device). Please see @marcussmith2626's stock ROM thread for links to the appropriate files.

Information for users:
    • This topic is intended only as a meeting point for other developers of the shared BCM21553 devices to discuss and solve issues related to development. If you are not a developer, please restrict your posts to the general discussion thread so that developers can maintain good communication. Thanks for your understanding.

First-time installation:
    • ClockworkMod v6.0.5.3 or later (MTD version) is mandatory to install CM11. If needed, download the latest recovery build here
    • Download the latest full OTA build for totoro from here
    • If necessary, flash the ClockworkMod v6 build, then reboot into recovery. If you can't flash the CWMv6 update package (.zip) in your existing recovery, use the Odin package (.tar.md5) instead.
    • Perform a data wipe - this is mandatory if upgrading from an older Android revision
    • Flash the OTA package and reboot.
    How to update (via OTA):
    • Please consult the cm-ota instructions on Jenkins.

Current issues (06/10/2014)
    • OMX codecs (for accelerated audio/video - may never be solved)
    • SIM unlock doesn't work (you must remove your SIM lock in another device/ROM)
    • Video recorder

Summary of major work done:
    • Forked broadcomCM devices into androidarmv6 repository (forked from ics branches).
    • Initial changes needed for cm-11.0 have been committed to cooperve, tassve, totoro and bcm21553-common device trees.
    • All of Broadcom's code has been adapted for the cm-11.0 branch.
    • After some reverse engineering of the vendor binaries, "adbd" and "init" built from source now work correctly. ADB will now set the proper USB mode, can give a root shell, and no longer has a hardcoded dependency on /system/bin/sh, which should help a great deal with debugging. We also no longer need to use the init prebuilt binary - the source-built version is now compatible.
    • Implemented common kernel source for totoro, cooperve and tassve.
    • Implemented hybrid boot/recovery/charge ramdisk.
    • Fixed WiFi, Bluetooth, Bluetooth tether & mac addresses.
    • Fixed graphical performance regression on CM11 branch.
    • Fixed basic audio (speaker, microphone, software encoders/decoders)
    • Fixed GPS.
    • Fixed Gallery, wallpaper chooser, live wallpapers, RenderScript, and possible EGL crashes in other apps
    • Added workaround for SystemUI corruption
    • Fixed graphical corruption/stability issues (caused by buggy GL_EXT_discard_framebuffer extension)
    • Fixed RIL, telephony and audio routing to speakers, headset, earpiece, microphone and microphone mute.
    • Audio routing improvements/fixes, small graphics performance optimizations
    • Fixed camera
    • Fixed wifi tethering
    • Updated to newer bcmdhd wifi driver to resolve wifi instability
    • Fixed USB tethering (with caveats)
    • Improved audio routing and fixed BT headsets (SCO)

* = this code is work in progress, which means that it is not yet available in the OTA build.

XDA:DevDB Information
    CyanogenMod 11 for Samsung BCM21553 series, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Y GT-S5360

Contributors
    psyke83

Version Information

Created 2014-10-27
    Last Updated 2014-10-27
    I will update cooperve device tree as soon as I can. I guess @Alberto96 could adapt tassve (his device). Lets get some fun here ;)

Enviado desde mi Xperia SP mediante Tapatalk
    I've solved the graphics performance issue on CM11. Will upload the changes soon. We're getting close to a first usable build, but there are still quite a few things that need fixing.
    Hey folks,

After a lot of research, I discovered the issue causing graphical instability on CM11. It seems that a certain OpenGL extension (GL_EXT_discard_framebuffer) is buggy, and was causing parts of the interface (or at times, the entire screen) to flicker red at random intervals. To solve the issue, I've simply disabled the extension within the VideoCore driver. This not only fixed the corruption issues, but also seems to have improved graphics performance, and - most importantly - has tremendously improved overall stability. Before this change, applications would often crash at random intervals with stack traces pointing to libhgl, but now, those crashes no longer seem to occur. Why was this not causing problems on ICS? Well, the extension is still broken on ICS, but it's never actually utilized in Android's ICS code, so the problem never manifested.

Although there are still major issues to be fixed (see post #1), I feel that the port is now mature enough for wider testing. I've added the three devices (cooperve, tassve and totoro) to the OTA and nightly build lists on Jenkins, and I'll soon provide instructions on how to install these builds.
    Good news: I've figured out the ALSA routing. It was very annoying, because I realized only today that the "tinymix" binary (a replacement for amixer) doesn't work when there are two integer values in a mixer. By chance I tried using alsa_amixer, and it worked. So, we first need to fix tinyalsa before adapting the audio driver.

Here's the mixers:
    https://gist.github.com/psyke83/a6ca133e023d966c273b

Oddly, none of the speaker/earpiece/headset switches have any effect. What does work is the PCM Playback Route. It has two values - the first specifies to remove (0) or add (1), and the second value corresponds to the audio device (defined in the kernel driver). The audio endpoints are defined here: https://github.com/androidarmv6/and...udio_controller/public/audio_controller.h#L57

By default, when the audio device is opened, audio outputs to the loudspeaker (4). So, to turn off the loudspeaker and change to the headset (1), I would do this:
    Code:
    adb shell tinymix 10 0 4
    adb shell tinymix 10 1 1

But, checking the kernel log, it seems that the driver doesn't receive the second value (it's always set to 0).

This works (mixer id is offset by 1 compared to tinymix):
    Code:
    adb shell alsa_amixer cset numid=11 0 4
    adb shell alsa_amixer cset numid=11 1 1

The CM11 tinymix version has a bug in which it doesn't recognise two or more integers as arguments, but I manually applied this patch from upstream to fix it: https://github.com/tinyalsa/tinyalsa/commit/8b772cc507f4c3a3b2ce5ca8a2cebbc60d1fa684

I hoped that this was enough to fix the issue, but it still never sets the second value properly. The kernel sound driver debug lets me see what's sent, and when using tinymix, the second is always zeroed...