How-To Reinstall Your Sprint Visual VM under CM7!!!

Search This thread

evolvetek

Sep 25, 2006
Thank You - MIUI User

This tutorial saved my VVM access today. I removed the VVM app after having carried it forward for nearly a year. Reinstalling it via normal procedure in AOSP Gingerbread land = fail. This tutorial = win on an EVO running MIUI 8.12.

Word 'em.

/e
Finally!!! A solution that worked!!!

I DO NOT CLAIM CREDIT. I'M PROVIDING THIS FOR THE GOOD OF THE FORUM (Original post found here)

1. Download the Sprint VVM 5.1.0.48 Titanium Backup zip: Download attached below
  2. Extract the Sprint VVM 5.1.0.48 Titanium Backup zip to the root of the SD card.
  3. Download & install Titanium Backup from the Market.
  4. Launch Titanium Backup and make sure Sprint VVM is removed (if not, use Titanium Backup to remove it).
  5. Install the Sprint VVM (/sdcard/sprint_vvm_5.1.0.48.apk).
  6. Launch Titanium Backup, select Sprint VVM, select Restore and select Data Only.
  7. NOTE: There is App+Data but it doesn't work.
  8. Launch the Sprint VVM and "Compose" a message to yourself. It will test send and receive functions of Sprint VVM.
  9. Enjoy and report back to the XDA thread with your results.
  10. NOTE: If the above steps do not work, try manually placing the contents of the folder (titaniumbackup) into the preexisting titanium backup folder, i.e. install the APK as instructed, but also extracting the three files within the contained folder into your titanium backup folder.

I can verify and confirm that Sprint VVM (SVVM) works under CM7 Nightly 12 with the stock kernel, using the above method.

NB: On receipt of new voicemail, a text from "9016" will be sent to your phone. I'm using the basic CM7 MMS app and haven't figured out how to stop these notification texts, but that's a minor annoyance to have SVVM back!

Journeyman83

Jul 22, 2011
Olathe, KS
Thank you much!!

One thing to note is that it helps to have your Titanium Backup transfered to the sdcard, THEN perform backups. As a semi-noob, it took me a while to find where the backups were stored. I know they are kept in the SD backup folder, but I was backing up the apps while TB was still on the phone.

Reactions: maverick101

theiceman18

Aug 17, 2011
Glad I had a backup of my Stock OS

Got this working after 2 tries.

1) Tried to use the apk in the zip from this thread. This worked, however got the "Upgrade Needed" message that would not go away. The upgrade option in the menu produced a "General Failure" message.

2) I simply had to uninstall VVM and install the apk from Titanium backup I performed from my original stock OS. I'm sure most of you already knew this, but at first I wasn't sure if there was anything special about the attached akp. Apparently there isn't.

Thanks for the post!
Now to get rid of the dang voice mail texts

Running CM7.1 RC1 on my Evo 4G.

Reactions: Mcoupe

Kal*El

Mar 6, 2011
www.invision4g.com
Does anyone know if this vmail will pick up google voice...I've merged my number but voice mail still gets google voice message????

Sent from my Swagurious Evo running CM7

maverick101

Sep 20, 2010
wisconsin
i now have my vm working but, when i open the app and go into settings it's stuck on
please wait.......verifying voicemail-to-text account information,this may take a minute
any help is appreciated

nevermind.i see that zip file a couple pages back and flashed it. everything is perfect! you guys rock!
that 9016 text i can live with

Last edited:

DataHawg

Aug 26, 2010
East Seattle
It worked for me too but I chose to use an older version of VVM because I'm not interested in the voice to text feature and didn't want to be asked to sign up for it when the app opened.
I use Handcent so I went into the stock messaging app and turned off auto retrieve, notifications, and checked the box to block 9016 notifications. Then turned on auto retrieve, notifications, and blacklisted 9016 in Handcent. Now I'm not getting any more of the annoying 9016 text messages. Nice!

bline007

Sep 10, 2011
Chicago
Installed and recognized but not able to personalize

I had youmail before I read this post. I was able to install the vvm to my evo and restore the file but then when I went to personalize I realized I still had my youmail account open. I went online and deactivated my youmail account. I received the verification message via text but can not personalize or receive my voice mails. When I call my number it is a busy signal and when others calls it hangs up on them. I have read most of this thread and can not find a fix. Please help.

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 PM ----------

I had youmail before I read this post. I was able to install the vvm to my evo and restore the file but then when I went to personalize I realized I still had my youmail account open. I went online and deactivated my youmail account. I received the verification message via text but can not personalize or receive my voice mails. When I call my number it is a busy signal and when others calls it hangs up on them. I have read most of this thread and can not find a fix. Please help.

bline007

Sep 10, 2011
Chicago
Resolved issue by going online to sprint.com and having them reset my voicemail on my phone. I used the chat method of communication on the sprint site. I followed the steps perfect and the app was working fine it was my sprint account that needed to be reset. The reason was I had tried google voice. I didn't like it, so I removed it and deleted my number from the account. Then I tried Youmail, which was a good app and it was nice, but I found this post and was really eager to use the Sprint VVM app again. I used the *38 prompt before trying to personalize my VVM but because I had used google voice and youmail and then tried to go back to VVM there was some sort of mix up on sprints end. PS I told the guy I had to factory reset and it just wouldnt load. Hope this helps.

bline007

Sep 10, 2011
Chicago
will youmail work if your one boost?
I actually uninstalled youmail completely. In all honesty it was a great app and worked well. I just wanted my vvm. I think to answer your question i have to say yes. If you are having problems with vvm and need a replacement it far exceeds google voice and is very easy to use. But the directions here work to get the vvm back.

MsPoetry

Oct 1, 2008
I CANNOT get this to work. Can anyone guide me in setting this up? I'm loving Cyanogen, but hating I don't have my Visual Voicemail. :-( Please help!

paperc07

Jul 14, 2010
I have to admit I am in the same boat I tried this guide before and it worked fine so I know it can work, but just the other day I upgraded my rom to CM7 to 7.1RC1 well now my visual voicemail is just giving me that V30 error I have tried the titanium backup thing repeatedly and nothing seems to work, do I need an old backup or something which I don't have

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Finally!!! A solution that worked!!!

I DO NOT CLAIM CREDIT. I'M PROVIDING THIS FOR THE GOOD OF THE FORUM (Original post found here)

1. Download the Sprint VVM 5.1.0.48 Titanium Backup zip: Download attached below
    2. Extract the Sprint VVM 5.1.0.48 Titanium Backup zip to the root of the SD card.
    3. Download & install Titanium Backup from the Market.
    4. Launch Titanium Backup and make sure Sprint VVM is removed (if not, use Titanium Backup to remove it).
    5. Install the Sprint VVM (/sdcard/sprint_vvm_5.1.0.48.apk).
    6. Launch Titanium Backup, select Sprint VVM, select Restore and select Data Only.
    7. NOTE: There is App+Data but it doesn't work.
    8. Launch the Sprint VVM and "Compose" a message to yourself. It will test send and receive functions of Sprint VVM.
    9. Enjoy and report back to the XDA thread with your results.
    10. NOTE: If the above steps do not work, try manually placing the contents of the folder (titaniumbackup) into the preexisting titanium backup folder, i.e. install the APK as instructed, but also extracting the three files within the contained folder into your titanium backup folder.

I can verify and confirm that Sprint VVM (SVVM) works under CM7 Nightly 12 with the stock kernel, using the above method.

NB: On receipt of new voicemail, a text from "9016" will be sent to your phone. I'm using the basic CM7 MMS app and haven't figured out how to stop these notification texts, but that's a minor annoyance to have SVVM back!
    CM7, install Sprint VVM, block notifications

Simplified directions for those who are sorta new to this and having trouble:
    1. If you install CM7 after wiping (I flashed CM 7.0.3 to my Sprint CDMA Hero after wiping everything), you won't have Sprint VVM, so you can skip some of the steps in first post.
    2. Download zip in first post to your computer, and extract there.
    3. Download Titanium Backup to your phone.
    4. Connect phone to computer (usb mode). Copy apk from extracted folder to sdcard root. Copy the 3 files from the extracted Titanium Backup folder on your computer to the sdcard/Titanium Backup folder.
    5. Unplug phone, navigate to the apk in the sdcard root and install it. Don't run Sprint VVM yet (not sure it makes a difference, but I didn't run it until later).
    6. Launch Titanium Backup - if you can see the Sprint VVM backup, click on it and restore - data only. If you can't see it in TB's list, reboot, relaunch TB and then look for Sprint VVM backup. When you find it, click on it, restore - data only.
    7. Launch Sprint VVM. Compose a voice message to yourself (your phone number) to test send/receive.

Getting rid of 9016 text messages:
    If you blacklist this in your messaging app (e.g., Handcent), Sprint VVM will not download your voicemail, and you'll need to dial into voicemail to retrieve messages. Instead, download SPC (in Market, it's called "Private SMS & call" by Superdroid.net). Add 9016 to the blacklist, and have SPC move all 9016 texts from your messaging apps to SPC (this is useful so that you don't have unread message counts in Handcent that reflect unread 9016 messages - if you go into Handcent or the stock messaging app, you'll see the 9016 message count roll down as the messages get moved out to SPC). SPC has its own notifications of blacklisted messages, so you'll want to turn that off in SPC settings.

Lastly, SPC is a big app at 3mb or so. But it can be moved to sdcard to minimize the memory hit (SPC has a lot of functionality which I haven't tested, but this blacklist function works fine when the app is moved to sdcard).

At this point, using a different messaging app like Handcent instead of the stock app is purely because you prefer it, not because you want to avoid 9016 messages, which you've already dealt with. If you do use Handcent or another third-party messaging app, in the stock app, turn off auto-retrieve and notifications, and have the third party app act as your sole messaging app.

Edit: Once you've installed Sprint VVM, you can delete the apk from the sdcard root.
    how come CyanogenMod doesn't include this "fix" with the releases?

Sprint VVM isnt open source. To avoid being taken to court things like this are left out.
    Holy crap - thanks! I have seen this solution before, but no one posted a backup file with it. You fixed my voicemail for the first time since I flashed the first unofficial cm7.
    Sprint vvm has always worked with cm but it is the annoying texts you get with each voicemail. You can use handcent or chomp sms and blacklist the texts fyi.