[STICKY] [FAQ] Official Atrix "Ask A Dev" & FAQ Thread (Last Update: 05/31/2011)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Ririal

Retired Recognized Developer
Feb 21, 2011
Grayslake
www.rirnef.net
OK, I'm no expert on the difference between 4G / 3G / 2G / edge (please excuse if 2G/Edge are the same) I recently did the unlimited data thing with an iPhone but I'm getting text messages from att about needing to change to a 4g data plan. I've called several times and they keep up with the "no unlimited plans exist anymore". This may be because I have a discount plan through my employer so I don't get normal customer care I get business division. In any case I would like to be able to disable just the 4g portion of data for the time being, anyone know of a way to do it? I tried a few apps but none worked and I don't want to disable syncing.
Thanks in advance!

You can't. AT&T's "4G" is just HSPA+, which is 3G. As far as I know, it's not even live anywhere, and nobody is getting anywhere near the promised speeds.

If you go into an AT&T store and tell them about the text messages you keep getting, and just say you're coming from an iPhone and you'd like the messages to stop. Those messages aren't interfering with anything, it's just a glitch in their system since their rate plans are a clusterfuck right now.

which languages are there in settings?

English, Spanish, French, and Portuguese.

i flash the 1.2.6 and for some reason when it was done i couldn't used the touch key when ever i touch them noting happen pls help

This thread is not for support. Please post in the general forums or use the search function.

Reactions: smilen65

sso

Feb 23, 2009
cairo
i'm on my way on getting unlocked version of atrix from amzon so will i be able to flash any of these roms?​

sso

Feb 23, 2009
cairo
it will be a network unlocked atrix

not a bootloader unlocked atrix. you will be able to to only flash the p-roms only at the moment (gingerblur) (greyblur)

thx for your answer but really i'm not that dumb :D i know it's network unlocked but what i mean is rom compatability because all i see here is roms for orange or att or bell but no one mentioned the gsm version so will i be able to use all these roms but after all thx for your attention :)

jonrich2008

Feb 9, 2008
Cannot uninstall or install apps

At&t Matrix running Gingerblur 4.5. I cannot install or uninstall any kind of app, whether it be from market, Amazon, or. apk. When I go to manage applications, every app says "...computing " . I have removed my SD card to no avail. I am at a loss. I bought my phone 2 months ago. I rooted and installed gingerblur that same day. This problem started 1 1/2 weeks ago. Any help would be great.

Ririal

Feb 21, 2011
Grayslake
www.rirnef.net
At&t Matrix running Gingerblur 4.5. I cannot install or uninstall any kind of app, whether it be from market, Amazon, or. apk. When I go to manage applications, every app says "...computing " . I have removed my SD card to no avail. I am at a loss. I bought my phone 2 months ago. I rooted and installed gingerblur that same day. This problem started 1 1/2 weeks ago. Any help would be great.

Again, this thread is not for support. Please keep the posts to questions about the device, not how to fix your broken device.

gnueliafnak

Jun 28, 2011
Hi guys, quick question for those who are experienced, if this is not the place to ask it, please direct me to the correct thread. Thanks!

I've had my Atrix for a while and I finally decided I have the time to sit down and read about rooting, etc. Mainly want to get rid of the bloatware and get some themes on the phone.

I'm thinking of installing GingerBlur, on the briefmobile site it says it roots the phone for you if you already don't have it rooted? but on the installation instructions, it REQUIRES the phone to be rooted first? wtf? Can someone please clarify on this point, thanks!

Ririal

Feb 21, 2011
Grayslake
www.rirnef.net
Hi guys, quick question for those who are experienced, if this is not the place to ask it, please direct me to the correct thread. Thanks!

I've had my Atrix for a while and I finally decided I have the time to sit down and read about rooting, etc. Mainly want to get rid of the bloatware and get some themes on the phone.

I'm thinking of installing GingerBlur, on the briefmobile site it says it roots the phone for you if you already don't have it rooted? but on the installation instructions, it REQUIRES the phone to be rooted first? wtf? Can someone please clarify on this point, thanks!

Without root, you can't access the system files needed to install anything.

EDIT: Just re-read your post, it's misinformation there. You can't install any p-roms without root, so having a p-rom root you is redundant.

Last edited:

gnueliafnak

Jun 28, 2011
Without root, you can't access the system files needed to install anything.

So we actually DO need root in order to install it, correct? And once I root the phone using a method like GingerBreak, I would have to install CWM and load the P-ROM into CWM to install it correct?

Also, how would I install CWM? Can I sideload it using SWM or is there a way to install it after I root the phone? Thanks again!

jdrials

Feb 27, 2011
Troy, IL
When I try to put my music on my 32 gig ext SD card either by dragging and dropping or by Windows media sync, it fails.... either only part gets there or none at all, and if part gets there it all gets thrown in lost.dir after a reboot.... i don't get it.... please help.... you can pm me

Sent from my MB860 using XDA Premium App

Ririal

Feb 21, 2011
Grayslake
www.rirnef.net
When I try to put my music on my 32 gig ext SD card either by dragging and dropping or by Windows media sync, it fails.... either only part gets there or none at all, and if part gets there it all gets thrown in lost.dir after a reboot.... i don't get it.... please help.... you can pm me

Sent from my MB860 using XDA Premium App

Again, for the 10th time, this thread is not for support.

I'm closing it for now to new posts, if anyone has a question they would like answered or something they'd like to see added to the first post please just PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [STICKY] [FAQ] Official Atrix "Ask A Dev" & FAQ Thread (Last Update: 05/31/2011)

Official Atrix "Ask A Dev" & FAQ Thread
    So, there's a ton of misinformation and confusion going around about the Atrix. I'm gonna go through this section best I can and pick out questions that I think should be in here. If you have one you'd like added or have a question to ask, post here and I'll answer and update the first post with the results. I will do my best to provide links, explain as best I can, and keep things UP TO DATE (which is the most important thing). I hope that users will see this thread and use it to their advantage. There's a lot of info out there, and I know it can be confusing, so I want to give everyone a place they can come ask questions or read information they know will be up to date. Feel free to ask anything you wish to know and I'll do my best to answer :)

PLEASE try to keep the thread clean. Post questions, keep discussion at a minimum (if there's a relevant discussion thread, I will link it here), and be polite.

Without further ado, let's get started with the basics.​
    Frequently Asked Question - Updated 05/31/2011
    • Q: "What is"/"How do I" root?

A: If you don't know what root is, chances are you don't need it. This is the basic of the basics of Android modification. Go ahead and do a little research first if you don't know what it is. You can root almost all Atrix devices using the method in this thread, just identify what device you have an follow the appropriate tutorial: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1016060

If your device isn't supported by GladRoot, you can follow this guide by jug6ernaut: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1046626

• Q: What is a ROM/P-ROM?

A: This is one of the more tricky questions when it comes to the Atrix. Designgears set the standard by calling Adeo a ROM. This is loosely based in truth. When we refer to an Atrix ROM, what we are doing is basic Android customization. It could be themes, a few added features (reboot/recovery in power menu, sideloading, adding a tethering APN for certain carriers, etc), or just an automated install for a deodexed system. They are not true ROMs, but we'll take what we can get.

As of GladiAtrix3 beta, I changed the name of these mods to Pseudo-ROM, or P-ROM for short (yes, pronounced 'prom').

• Q: What is an SBF? How do I flash it?

A: An SBF file is the Motorola base firmware. There are only a few SBF files available, and instructions (Thanks to seven2099) to use them can be found here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=13604217&postcount=2. The guide was written with the Bell Atrix in mind, but this process will work with any version provided you have the correct SBF for your device. This guide by kennethpenn contains links to a few of the SBFs for AT&T devices: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=991072

It should also be noted that these files are NOT community provided. They are leaked from Motorola, are are technically for internal Motorola use only. Do NOT ask where we get them, how we get them, or if we can make you a custom one. We cannot.

• Q: What does "deodex" mean?

A: This guide has a pretty good explanation of what the difference between odexed and deodexed is: http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/what-is-odex-and-deodex-in-android-complete-guide/

• Q: What is sideloading?

A: Sideloading lets you install any applications, regardless of carrier or market restrictions. This is also sometimes called "Unknown sources." It can be enabled several different ways. Both the GladiAtrix (for 4.1.26, 4.1.52,, 4.1.57, and 4.1.83) and GingerBlur ROMs contain it. You can also enable it using the GladiAtrix Enabler.

• Q: <app> in the market doesn't work! Help!

A: There are several applications still that have not been updated to support the Atrix. It uses a lot of new hardware, and does things a little differently. Before jumping on and making a thread saying Motorola sucks for your app not working, contact the developer first and ask them to update.
    User Submitted Questions - Updated 04/27/2011
    • Q: Is there a way to install an apk without finding it and tapping on it? Maybe through terminal emulator and if so what would the command lines be? (submitted by drock212)

A: Yes! You can install applications through ADB on your PC with the command 'adb install <app>.apk' where <app> is the filename of the app you want to install. You can also use a file manager, or as metk@ mentioned, the Android Market website. Finally, there is a command line that you can use to install: pm install <app>.apk

• Q: I have a Bell Atrix (unlocked to work with Rogers). Are there any precautions I need to keep in mind when flashing ROMs, installing the new 1.5.7 update and rooting it all using the At&t files in the Dev forum? (submitted by TareX)

A: Absolutely. As far as I know, you cannot flash any of the AT&T firmwares on a Bell Atrix. This will cause a brick and you will be unable to recover since there isn't a Bell firmware SBF available right now. If anyone has been brave enough to try and flash a Bell Atrix with AT&T firmware and has SUCCEEDED, please let me know.

• Q: The atrix has 1GB of ram. Is all of that memory used on the phone or is it like what was rumored and some of it is reserved for the webtop? (submitted by RacecarBMW)

A: The webtop shares memory with the phone side. There is about 800mb free for use by both, with roughly 200mb reserved for system processes.

• Q: Are more ROMs in the works? (submitted by danboard)

A: I've been working hard at getting GladiAtrix 2 to a point where I feel comfortable releasing it in CWM format. Unfortunately, I can't speak for other developers. The tools available for the Atrix are relatively limited, and we don't have a very strong base of talented people like other Motorola phones do. I'm pretty proud of what we've managed to accomplish even with such a small userbase.

• Q: Can I use my phone on a carrier other than AT&T or Bell? (submitted via PM by metk@)

A: You can, but you need to make sure that the carrier you want to use the phone on supports the same frequencies as AT&T/Bell. There are a few different ways you can get the phone unlocked. The easiest, and honestly best, way to do it is to call the carrier and ask them for an unlock code. If you're persistent and polite enough, make your case as to why you need the phone unlocked, there's a good chance they'll accommodate. Getting mad and upset rarely works. You can also get an unlock code through several different online sites. This thread talks about sites with unlock codes, and gives you a good idea which to trust. General consensus seems to be that cellunlock.net worked for most users and has a 20$ rebate coupon code: android50

• Q: Can I use the Webtop without a dock? (submitted via PM by metk@)

A: You sure can. It requires modifications to the system files, so if you don't fee comfortable making permanent changes to your phone's OS, you shouldn't be doing this. This thread has a very detailed explanation on how to get it working on your phone, but make sure you match up the proper firmware version or can potentially brick your phone.[/B]

• Q: Is there a way to install a full version of linux on the Webtop? (submitted via PM by metk@)

A: There is a project running to unlock the Webtop OS and allow you full access to install anything you wish. You can read about the progress here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1000316

• Q: I don't use the webtop. Is there any way to remove it completely to regain the space on the phone? (submitted by Girgizzlemuf)

A: Unfortunately, you cannot. The Webtop is directly integrated into the Android OS, so removing it would render your phone inoperable. I'm unsure if an unlocked bootloader will allow it to be removed either, as the entire build of Android running on the Atrix was built around the Webtop.

• Q: Do I need to unlock before rooting, or are the two completely independent from eachother? (submitted by dropshipinc)

A: Unlocking and rooting are not tied together. You can root without unlock, and you an unlock without root. Unlocking is, in most cases, referring to the ability to use the phone on any carrier. This is called SIM unlocking. Rooting gives you root access to your device. On the Atrix, you cannot unlock your phone by having root. Some devices this is the case, but the Atrix is not one of them.
    • Q: Will installing a rom prevent OTA updates? If so, can they be easily removed so that we can install OTA updates? (submitted by ratkid2271)

A: Installing any of the currently available ROMs will prevent the phone from applying an OTA update. You should still be able to download them, but the installation will fail. As for uninstalling, you should be making a nandroid backup of your phone with CWM before installing any of them. A simple restore of that backup will prep you for an OTA update.
    Special Thanks
    Thanks to: drock212, TareX, RacecarBMW, danboard, metk@, Girgizzlemuf, ratkid2271, and dropshipinc for their submissions. :)
    Has anyone gotten the method outlined here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=969960

to actually work? Cause, I've tried it twice, and wound up w/ a soft-brick both times. Doing factory data reset resolved the problem, so, no worries, but I'm wondering if that method is fundamentally flawed?

Yes, I'm aware that there are automated, turn-key scripts that will enable sideloading. I'm as interested in learning more about the phone, as I am in enabling side loading, so, if I could learn to do it manually, I'd like to do that.

I'd post to that thread, but, I'm still not at 10 posts. (Stupid post count rule!)

Thanks,

-Mark

That tutorial is VERY long winded. You don't need nearly as many steps as he's taking. It can be done much much easier. Just download GladEnabler and look at the script code, it's pretty straightforward and commented so anyone curious what it's doing can look for themselves :)

Does the Greyblur version written fro .57 work with .83?
    There is alot out there and some misinformation floating around on this and I just want to be sure before I screw something up.

Are there plans to update Greyblur for .83?
    I loved everything about this ROM and so did alot of people. Kenneth is amazing in what he does with these ROM's and could or should be writing them for one of the big companies he has a definite gift for doing it right.

Installing mis-matched versions is always a bad idea. Don't install the GB for 1.57 on 1.83, and vice versa. You'll very likely run into problems.

You'd have to ask Kenneth if he's updating his p-ROM. I'm not so sure what these mods do are really on the level of working for a big company, though ;) Ginger/Greyblur is really just a compilation of various mods from other users and a theme :)
    So I understand the awesomeness that is the webtop. However, I have no use for it other than to say 'HAY i got a netbook in my phone wanna see??'

Having said that... is there a way to *remove* the webtop entirely, or is this something we are going to have to wait for in the form of a custom rom / unlocked bootloader?

Unfortunately, you cannot. The Webtop is directly integrated into the Android OS, so removing it would render your phone inoperable. I'm unsure if an unlocked bootloader will allow it to be removed either, as the entire build of Android running on the Atrix was built around the Webtop.
    Nice OP Ririal :) Thanks for being oh so helpful and contributing to the Atrix! Keep up the good work! I wish I can play with your ROMs :( Hoping that the Bell's SBF will be leaked one of these days (yes I know...wistful thinking...)
    OK, I'm no expert on the difference between 4G / 3G / 2G / edge (please excuse if 2G/Edge are the same) I recently did the unlimited data thing with an iPhone but I'm getting text messages from att about needing to change to a 4g data plan. I've called several times and they keep up with the "no unlimited plans exist anymore". This may be because I have a discount plan through my employer so I don't get normal customer care I get business division. In any case I would like to be able to disable just the 4g portion of data for the time being, anyone know of a way to do it? I tried a few apps but none worked and I don't want to disable syncing.
    Thanks in advance!

You can't. AT&T's "4G" is just HSPA+, which is 3G. As far as I know, it's not even live anywhere, and nobody is getting anywhere near the promised speeds.

If you go into an AT&T store and tell them about the text messages you keep getting, and just say you're coming from an iPhone and you'd like the messages to stop. Those messages aren't interfering with anything, it's just a glitch in their system since their rate plans are a clusterfuck right now.

which languages are there in settings?

English, Spanish, French, and Portuguese.

i flash the 1.2.6 and for some reason when it was done i couldn't used the touch key when ever i touch them noting happen pls help

This thread is not for support. Please post in the general forums or use the search function.