[HowTo] Remove preinstalled apps - no need to flash custom roms or gold card root!

Search This thread

Dr.Romca

Dec 12, 2008
Prague
Hi guys!
Though I did not use overlay as per this howto, I did delete some unwanted apps (created a zip file that did the deletions).
All is fine except a minor thing:
I have a two widgets called "false" (with HTC being the producer) in the add widget list.

picture.php

Does anyone know what other files or entries are there for these?
Code:
delete SYSTEM:app/Stock.apk
delete SYSTEM:app/Stock.odex
delete SYSTEM:app/com.htc.StockWidget.apk
delete SYSTEM:app/com.htc.StockWidget.odex
delete SYSTEM:app/FriendStream.apk
delete SYSTEM:app/FriendStream.odex
delete SYSTEM:app/com.htc.FriendStreamWidget.apk
delete SYSTEM:app/com.htc.FriendStreamWidget.odex
delete SYSTEM:app/HtcTwitter.apk
delete SYSTEM:app/HtcTwitter.odex
delete SYSTEM:app/com.htc.TwitterWidget.apk
delete SYSTEM:app/com.htc.TwitterWidget.odex
delete SYSTEM:app/Talk.apk
delete SYSTEM:app/Flickr.apk
delete SYSTEM:app/Flickr.odex

Thanks!

Dwino

Oct 22, 2008
Does removing system apps give better performance??

QUOTE=BlaY0;9178889]..... For the system partition it actually doesn't matter if it is full in fact why it shouldn't be full. When we get our S-OFF the first thing I will do is to rearange mtd partitions shrinking system and extending data coz now I have like nearly 50 MB free on system partition that I can not use wisely.

Sent from my HTC Legend[/QUOTE]

I am a noob and want to ask this question:
When reading this thread, I was thinking, freeing place by removing unnecessary or unused system apps would give a better performance; BlaYos comment above would lead me to the conclusion, this is not the case and it is only useful for freeing space for other Apps?

Thank you for comments,
Dwino

Snowtoad23

Jul 17, 2010
One quick question..
Does the temproot given by Visionary let you use ROM Manager to flash custom recovery (Clockwork)?
Or you need a new proper rooted ROM for that?

Cheers!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I know there are some people like myself who actually like Sense and doing a 'full' root can be daunting, especailly if all you want to do is remove the crud that Vodafone or your Telco install on your branded Legend. But there is no reason this can't be used to remove apps that are in a custom ROM - as far as I am aware! If someone with a custom ROM could confirm this, that would be great!

Righto, as per usual here is the disclaimer - doing this is risky and you do so at your own peril! Don't come crying to me or Paul @ MoDaCo if it bricks your phone (it shouldn't but this is just a warning)

Enough of that you get the idea ;) Now for the fun bit!

First if you are not you'll need VISIONary+ from MoDaCo, at the time of this writing r13 is the latest and is available on page 7.
    Please read and check the original post as there may be an updated version. If you are rooted skip to the next step.

This is Paul's guide he done quickly on his G2, it's more of a pictorial guide (same rules apply to the Legend as G2 in this case).

Once installed use the Temproot option, this can take 15 seconds or so to complete, use a Terminal Emulator and type su then return/enter and your $ should change to a # - this means you have temproot.

Go to the market and install SuperUser, Titanium Backup, BusyBox.

Open Titanium Backup allowing it root access when prompted, go to Backup/Restore and scroll to find one of the preinstalled bloatware apps, I chose the Vodafone Music app and the Vodafone Web app.
    Long hold on the app you want to remove and scroll down a bit and choose the option "Force remove app (by recovery exploit)"

This will reboot your phone TWICE, you will get the recovery screen up - LET IT RUN IT's COURSE! DO NOT INTERRUPT THIS.

Once it boots back into your normal check that the app is no longer in your App drawer :)

Repeat for all the Apps that came preinstalled that you don't want, just be careful you don't remove anything that may still be needed!

A huge thanks to Paul at MoDaCo for this ingenious hack and the Titanium Backup, BusyBox and SuperUser developers for their hard work in writing their apps which also allow us to easy do this :D

Oh and you can use the Temproot on boot to have a sortof but not fully permaroot :cool: