[Q] Backup app data with broken display (no touch, no root, debuging enabled)

Search This thread

calex3141

May 13, 2013
Hi folks,

yesterday my Nexus 4 hit the ground and the front glass just bursted. Touch is not working anymore and the screen is locked (only slide to unlock, no pin or gesture). I can connect it to my PC and can access the internal storage, so backing up images, music, etc. is not a problem.

I have some apps installed of which I want to transfer the app data to my new phone. Debugging is enabled so I thought, well that'll be easy just run adb backup. Thought so... As adb backup requires a user action when it comes to entering the password I'm doomed ;)

Does anybody has an idea or experienced the same problem on how I can get adb backup to work without being able to use the touch screen?
I'm not limited to adb backup but as my phone is not rooted I assume there are not a lot possibilities besides.

Thanks a lot for your help.

calex

abaaaabbbb63

Nov 19, 2011
Somewhere Over The Rainbow
Hi folks,

yesterday my Nexus 4 hit the ground and the front glass just bursted. Touch is not working anymore and the screen is locked (only slide to unlock, no pin or gesture). I can connect it to my PC and can access the internal storage, so backing up images, music, etc. is not a problem.

I have some apps installed of which I want to transfer the app data to my new phone. Debugging is enabled so I thought, well that'll be easy just run adb backup. Thought so... As adb backup requires a user action when it comes to entering the password I'm doomed ;)

Does anybody has an idea or experienced the same problem on how I can get adb backup to work without being able to use the touch screen?
I'm not limited to adb backup but as my phone is not rooted I assume there are not a lot possibilities besides.

Thanks a lot for your help.

calex

Do you have a custom recovery? Try flashing a non-touch one. Adb should work from within it.

IRX120

May 28, 2012
Atlanta
As I wrote, my phone is NOT rooted nor unlocked, so no custom recovery. Or do I get something wrong there?

Your outta luck it seems then... If its that important to you you could buy a replacement screen for the n4... Get your data and sell it and get the money you spent in the screen back.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

opssemnik

Account currently disabled
Jun 10, 2013
GB
meettomy.site
If the apps that u need data are on sdcard(their datas)then u just do adb pull /sdcard c:\sdbackup with phone on.
if not then:
@calex3141 :
1ST: IM NOT RESPONSABLE FOR ANY DAMAGE / FAIL WHILE DOING THIS METHOD, I TESTED ON MY FRIEND´S N4 BUT I CANT GUARANTEE THAT WILL WORK ON EVERY NEXUS (INCLUDING YOURS), USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.
2ND: DO NOT CRY IF U CANT GET BACK THE FILES IF SOMETHING FAIL. YOU COULD JUST BUY SCREEN REPLACEMENT OR GET A JTAG DUMP
3RD: do carefuly. if you are nervous calm down b4 doing this. one single command and u can format the nand so be careful.
4TH: I hope it Works for u :D.
5TH: u need to have adb seted up and also drivers. if you dont know how, search google(for drivers).
for adb just install minimal adb and fastboot
6TH: its recomended to test to see if cygwin(u will know what it is in a moment) is working (do some commands on it, like cd .. (to go back)or ls (list files) )
7TH: if u have any errors contact me asap and i will try to help you
LETS GO:
unlock the bootloader: (type in cmd prompt, fastboot oem unlock, and follow instructions on phone)(DO THE MANUAL WAY, DO NOT USE TOOLKITS, KEEP READING TO KNOW WHY)(it will say that u will loose files, but it actualy dosent format, it just change the 1st´s block of userdata partition to make it unmountable normally,thats why toolkits do fastboot format userdata after unlock.and tutorials say to format data in STOCk recovery, since custom ones dosent format, just delete everything except sdcard)
(do not format anything, even on stock recovery)
flash multirom recovery:http://d-h.st/pzv (Thanks@tassadar for his great work)(the only that i use, so i cant tell others)
then do this
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1994705
(instead of doing it with phone on, just do on recovery,adb is enabled on it)

Last edited: