Haven't had wakelock drainage since 2013 - so how's your Nexus 4 treating you?

Search This thread

BoneXDA

Oct 9, 2012
The Nexus 4 is getting better with time. 4.3 went crazy on me so often I can't tell you, Google Keep, Calendar, Google Now! (now off) and other rogue apps causing wakelocks left and right... then KitKat came - with a rough start - and since on 4.4.2, I can't recall a single wakelock battery drainage. So much so that my utter disappointment of WLDetector unsupported then complicated on ART 4.4 quickly went away, and like task killers back in the day, wake fighting now seems like deeds of distant past...

So yeah, standby improved a great bit, just the other days I cracked the 100 hour barrier (not much stuff done, but with WiFi & hi accuracy on), so things are pretty nice. Now when traveling a lot, high accuracy taxes the battery plus ART runtime (the best thing in 2013) appears to be a bit heavier on resources. But oh the goodies of it! Spent like 2 hours last week playing around with the Z1, Z1 compact, Note 3, G2, couple of Lumias and HTCs, and all were noticeably laggier - no, they all had lags and stutters, this Nexus doesn't. Other than the choppy framerates of Real Racing 3 heh... We have an AndroiPhone on our hands, guys!

The 3rd thing I wanna say is how awesome and 'goodbye Nova' Action Launcher is, one home screen, swype right for app list, left for bookmarks/custom widgets, up for recents, down for notifications, tap on icons to launch app, swype over to pop-up folders or widgets - this thing is so simple and useful! Awesome to get the app & swype widget menu in any app too.

screenshot_2014-02-25yery9.png
screenshot_2014-02-25x6qp8.png
screenshot_2014-02-2505ohk.png
screenshot_2014-02-25rnp7p.png

2014 on the Nexus 4 has been quite awesome so far for me! How about you?

Last edited:
Reactions: TheNerd:]

lndulgence

Feb 5, 2014
Not found
Wakelock? What's that? ;)

No seriously, after the 4.4.2 KK update, everything went from good to great! Battery life really improved! So it all boils down to which ROM and kernel you're going to use to drive your Nexus 4. Quite happy with what i have right now. :)

Last edited:

sandy-achar

Feb 5, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Without wakelocks your device wouldnt get up from deep sleep to get notifications, etc. For example WhatsApp has 250+ wake-locks. Hence wakelocks arent bad. Wakelocks turn into a bad thing when they are unnecessary i.e the device will wake up for no reason or wont go to deep sleep, hence lesser battery life.
A partial wakelock means the CPU is ON, but the screen is OFF.
A full wakelock means the CPU and Screen are ON. (we don't really need to worry about this)

So the whole concept of saying u haven't had wakelocks since 2013 is flawed.

Here - http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-nexus/general/kernel-wakelocks-t1462020

Last edited:

Zinken

Jul 14, 2008
Gothenburg
Well, I wish I could be as fortunate as you are. I have massive issues with msn_hsic_host kernel wakelock. Pretty much had it since I bought the phone a year ago. My feeling is that it got worse again with 4.4

On wifi everything is fine. On mobile data it can be ok or terrible. No way to tell why or when. A reboot solves it but I usually doesn't notice until the battery is already drained.

So my options seems to be to reboot the phone everytime I leave a wifi network or to use my Nexus as a dumphone. Right now I have background data restricted so it is pretty much a dumphone. Another option would be throw out this piece of **** and buy a good phone.

BoneXDA

Oct 9, 2012

No seriously, after the 4.4.2 KK update, everything went from good to great! Battery life really improved! So it all boils down to which ROM and kernel you're going to use to drive your Nexus 4. Quite happy with what i have right now. :)
Glad I'm not alone, Indulgence!

Without wakelocks your device wouldnt get up from deep sleep to get notifications, etc. For example WhatsApp has 250+ wake-locks. Hence wakelocks arent bad. Wakelocks turn into a bad thing when they are unnecessary i.e the device will wake up for no reason or wont go to deep sleep, hence lesser battery life.
A full wakelock means the CPU and Screen are ON. (we don't really need to worry about this)

Thx, yeah you're right obviously, I should've said I haven't had any wakelock battery loops or whatnot, I changed the title. But you get the point. Things are great. :good:

Well, I wish I could be as fortunate as you are. I have massive issues with msn_hsic_host kernel wakelock. Pretty much had it since I bought the phone a year ago. My feeling is that it got worse again with 4.4

On wifi everything is fine. On mobile data it can be ok or terrible. No way to tell why or when. A reboot solves it but I usually doesn't notice until the battery is already drained.

So my options seems to be to reboot the phone everytime I leave a wifi network or to use my Nexus as a dumphone. Right now I have background data restricted so it is pretty much a dumphone. Another option would be throw out this piece of **** and buy a good phone.
Sorry to hear that, no issues as such here. Maybe a factory reset? I'm sure you tried that already. Anyway, quick search brought this up, so I'm sharing:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2297291

Zinken

Jul 14, 2008
Gothenburg
Glad I'm not alone, Indulgence!

Thx, yeah you're right obviously, I should've said I haven't had any wakelock battery loops or whatnot, I changed the title. But you get the point. Things are great. :good:

Sorry to hear that, no issues as such here. Maybe a factory reset? I'm sure you tried that already. Anyway, quick search brought this up, so I'm sharing:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2297291

Thanks for sharing but I have already googled my *ss off about this, nothing seems to help (other than disabling mobile data). I found 2 threads in google products forum about this where google employees admit that they are aware of the issue and investigating. Only problem is that those responses are many months old and the threads are closed due to inactivity.

Haven't done a factory reset on 4.4.2 but I did a clean install when moving to 4.4 - really hope to avoid losing all my data again.

Maybe I need to try to move away from stock and try a different ROM/kernel but that was one of the main reasons I bought the nexus, to have the latest android without having to flash. To easy to get addicted :silly:

Zinken

Jul 14, 2008
Gothenburg
What setup are u using? Audio mix, msim wakelocks are a pain in my arse right now

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Was that directed to me?

I'm completely stock 4.4.2. Google Now and location off. No "shadowy" apps, just mainstream popular apps on play store.
Still terrible wakelocks. With wifi or background data restricted it behaves "as it should".

BoneXDA

Oct 9, 2012
What setup are u using? Audio mix, msim wakelocks are a pain in my arse right now

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Stock unrooted 4.4.2 on ART (no FR), no Now!, 2G network preference (I'm almost exclusively near WiFi), Action Launcher with 6-7 widgets updating, GPS high accuracy mode. Wifi always on, but auto-search for networks off, no location sharing etc.

However today I installed Google Now Launcher, which means Now is active, let's see how it treats standby, probably bad. Oh and BTW, I run Google Now Launcher run over Action Launcher so I still retain the nice side-swype function, so it's a good mix, although GNL is quite limited and I'd prefer having "OK Google" listening on AL.

In other news: I did 2 further things to simplify my life:
- remove the dust and fingerprint collecting screen protector, tapping feels much nicer, navigation is much easier screen is a lot cleaner and the gorilla glass doesn't collect finger oil as much. Seriously guys, don't ruin your experience with cases and protectors, you treat your phone right, and it will treat you back :)
- turn off lockscreen. Since I look after my phone, there's little chance of theft and there's still locking option from any computer, so why lockscreen then? Whatever that was on it is on my homescreen (DashClock widget with notifications, camera icon plus everything else), lockscreen is... redundancy

br0ok1ynb0i

Nov 5, 2010
Brooklyn
At a good place right now on 4.3. Have everything I need: touch control, pie, halo, lte. Less I look for wakelocks,the more I notice the phone does pretty decent on battery. One time I came home from work with 74% battery (min usage- about 2 hour talk time on bluetooth). I never turn of lte and wifi. :good:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The Nexus 4 is getting better with time. 4.3 went crazy on me so often I can't tell you, Google Keep, Calendar, Google Now! (now off) and other rogue apps causing wakelocks left and right... then KitKat came - with a rough start - and since on 4.4.2, I can't recall a single wakelock battery drainage. So much so that my utter disappointment of WLDetector unsupported then complicated on ART 4.4 quickly went away, and like task killers back in the day, wake fighting now seems like deeds of distant past...

So yeah, standby improved a great bit, just the other days I cracked the 100 hour barrier (not much stuff done, but with WiFi & hi accuracy on), so things are pretty nice. Now when traveling a lot, high accuracy taxes the battery plus ART runtime (the best thing in 2013) appears to be a bit heavier on resources. But oh the goodies of it! Spent like 2 hours last week playing around with the Z1, Z1 compact, Note 3, G2, couple of Lumias and HTCs, and all were noticeably laggier - no, they all had lags and stutters, this Nexus doesn't. Other than the choppy framerates of Real Racing 3 heh... We have an AndroiPhone on our hands, guys!

The 3rd thing I wanna say is how awesome and 'goodbye Nova' Action Launcher is, one home screen, swype right for app list, left for bookmarks/custom widgets, up for recents, down for notifications, tap on icons to launch app, swype over to pop-up folders or widgets - this thing is so simple and useful! Awesome to get the app & swype widget menu in any app too.

screenshot_2014-02-25yery9.png
    screenshot_2014-02-25x6qp8.png
    screenshot_2014-02-2505ohk.png
    screenshot_2014-02-25rnp7p.png

2014 on the Nexus 4 has been quite awesome so far for me! How about you?