[Q] Boot Loop - Have I tried Everything?!?

Search This thread

jethrodesign

Sep 8, 2009
Hi,
I'm a bit new here and running a good old-fashioned stock Inc 4G LTE, never rooted or flashed to new ROM. It DOES have the latest OTA update from Verizon a couple months ago.

This morning my phone suddenly went off after working OK. Then when trying to restart, I get an infinite boot loop and it won't get past the red Droid screen. I've searched various threads and tried what I think are the most obvious things, and nothing seems to help. But I want to make sure there are no other options before I throw it in the trash.

Here's what I tried:
- Tried entering Safe Mode by holding down volume key after HTC screen comes on. Makes no difference, does not enter Safe Mode.
- Get to HBOOT OK. Says 'LOCKED' and I am running HBOOT v.1.15.0000.
- - In HBOOT, I've tried running Recovery a couple times. Seems to go OK, but just starts looping when restarting.
- - In HBOOT, tried running Recovery > Wipe Cache Partition. Says cache is cleared.
- - In HBOOT, tried running Recovery > Wipe data/factory reset. Seem to go through OK.
- - In HBOOT, tried running Factory Reset.
- - In HBOOT, tried running Clear Storage.
- Pulled battery and tried spare.
- Removed SD card.

Some history - this phone has always been very sluggish. A few months ago started shutting down when doing camera intensive things (would jump to battery at critical level). So I did a factory reset a couple weeks ago and was slowly adding some of the essential apps back in. It crashed trying to upload photos to Facebook. Last night I had just moved some apps to the Phone storage and set my Sound Profile app to change profiles in the morning. This is about the time the phone crashed.

• Anything else I should try before giving up?
  • Can I try to root and install a custom ROM to fix when in this state? Is this now possible with latest OTA update?
  • If custom ROM is last chance, is there a really solid one running 4.3 and Sense?

THANKS! May be time to get a HTC One or iPhoney, as I'm just not into huge phones that are coming out...

jethrodesign

Sep 8, 2009
If your on bootloader 1.15.0000 and now 1.16.0000, try using the stock Ruu and restoring the phone. If not, try rebooting in bootloader and factory reset.

If that doesn't work, gain root (if you haven't) and get s-off/unlock bootloader/CID set to 111111, and try a custom rom. If all else fails, take it back to stock and unroot/s-on/CID back to VZW/Relocked.
Call Verizon and tell them you need a replacement. The phone randomly gets real hot and reboots. They should send you a new one no problem.

I girlfriend had the random reboots, ending up getting it replaced. Now shes on her 4th or 5th incredible lte. (data Issues & random reboots)

I tried running a stock 2.17.. RUU, but got a "Failed" message because the software was too old. I'm guessing that is because I'm on the newer 2.19.. OTA update?!? Anyone know where to get a RUU file for the latest 2.19 version? I've been searching with no luck.

I'll have to research how to root/unlock the phone when it won't boot. Any specific threads that have fairly detailed instructions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

jethrodesign

Sep 8, 2009
I tried running a stock 2.17.. RUU, but got a "Failed" message because the software was too old. I'm guessing that is because I'm on the newer 2.19.. OTA update?!? Anyone know where to get a RUU file for the latest 2.19 version? I've been searching with no luck.

I'll have to research how to root/unlock the phone when it won't boot. Any specific threads that have fairly detailed instructions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I looked at the thread about how to successfully root & flash the phone when it has the Verizon OTA update (2.19.xx) found here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2664460.

But it appears at first glance that to do it the phone needs to be booted up and connected to the computer via USB. I can only get my phone to the HBOOT screen, nothing else.

- Can anyone confirm that to unlock and/or flash a new ROM on this phone that it has to be able to boot up? No way to do it on my phone with the 2.19 software and constant rebooting?

Thanks. It's cosmetically perfect, so I feel bad about throwing it away. If I can get it back up somehow I could at least sell it or give it to someone in need.

Mar 30, 2014
I looked at the thread about how to successfully root & flash the phone when it has the Verizon OTA update (2.19.xx) found here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2664460.

But it appears at first glance that to do it the phone needs to be booted up and connected to the computer via USB. I can only get my phone to the HBOOT screen, nothing else.

- Can anyone confirm that to unlock and/or flash a new ROM on this phone that it has to be able to boot up? No way to do it on my phone with the 2.19 software and constant rebooting?

Thanks. It's cosmetically perfect, so I feel bad about throwing it away. If I can get it back up somehow I could at least sell it or give it to someone in need.

If you want to use mdmower's "temp-root" trick, then you'll need to be able to access the device through Android Debug Bridge. Can you see the device if you type
Code:
adb devices
after booting up past the bootloader?

jethrodesign

Sep 8, 2009
If you want to use mdmower's "temp-root" trick, then you'll need to be able to access the device through Android Debug Bridge. Can you see the device if you type
Code:
adb devices
after booting up past the bootloader?

Hi. I've never tried running ADB. Not very familiar with it at all. But my phone will not boot past the HBOOT option. No matter what I've tried, it will just go into a rebooting loop. I'm assuming it needs to be fully booted up to work with ADB?!?

- Is there an RUU for the latest software update (2.19.xx) somewhere that I can try running to see if it will help it fully boot?

- Any other options?

Thanks!

Mar 30, 2014
Hi. I've never tried running ADB. Not very familiar with it at all. But my phone will not boot past the HBOOT option. No matter what I've tried, it will just go into a rebooting loop. I'm assuming it needs to be fully booted up to work with ADB?!?

- Is there an RUU for the latest software update (2.19.xx) somewhere that I can try running to see if it will help it fully boot?

- Any other options?

Thanks!

Yes, my understanding is that to use adb, you need to be able to boot into the OS with usb debugging turned on. Hopefully someone will come along with a worthwhile response!

Is anyone aware of more current RUU's than are menteioned here?

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1770978

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 PM ----------

If the phone failed as a completely stocked phone, why not try returning as opposed to figuring out how to root a broken phone?

Last edited: