WHITE EVO 3D [lot of pics] self-made

Search This thread

Zoidpilot

Jan 9, 2011
Florida
So here's the beginning of my story...

While sitting down watching fireworks on the driveway, my phone decides to commit suicide via tumbling out of my pocket. Mind you - I don't have a case for it yet, and I'm still waiting for my screen protector to come in the mail. I felt the shift in my pocket and heard the *clack* sound as the phone bounced three times on the concrete before landing face-down. My heart dropped. After cursing up a storm I mustered up the courage to pick it up to examine it... As expected it was utter disaster. Nicks and scratches on every corner, and a little notch on the aluminum lining of the screen. I know I may sound dramatic, but I'm sure theres people out there who feel my pain.​

OK! fast-forward to today. I figured since most of the damage was to the back cover, I would just peruse this interweb thingy and find a replacement... Turns out they average about $35.00 a pop. Not bad. So then my imagination kicks in and I start to wonder if they're going to make a white Evo3D. Apparently not. Unless I'm mistaken there is no plan for a white one yet. Boo to that I say! So the guy I always argue with in my head blurted out "I might as well paint my own"... For once we both agreed and so spawned my plan...​

Here's my LIST OF SUPPLIES

• 2 SHEETS OF EXTREMELY FINE SANDPAPER
  • 1 CAN OF BLACK PRIMER SPRAY PAINT
  • 1 CAN OF WHITE PRIMER SPRAY PAINT
  • 1 CAN OF GLOSS WHITE ENAMEL SPRAY PAINT
  • 1 BOTTLE OF GLOSS WHITE TOUCH UP PAINT (just in case)
  • 1 SET OF PAINT BRUSHES (for the just in case)
  • 1 ROLL OF MASKING TAPE
  • 1 RAZOR BLADE
  • 1 BOX OF POP TARTS ( artists get hungry y'know?);)

IMG_20110706_041844.jpg

And here's the before pic... Can't see the horrendous scratches though:(
IMG_20110705_155945.jpg

So from here on, I'll just let the pictures speak for themselves... Mostly.

IMG_20110705_161220.jpg

IMG_20110705_161812.jpg
Made sure to remove the buttons..

IMG_20110705_161859.jpg

IMG_20110705_162256.jpg
Ready to paint!

IMG_20110705_162916.jpg
3 coats of primer, 2 coats of gloss white :)

IMG_20110706_025115.jpg
Same goes for the black

Zoidpilot

Jan 9, 2011
Florida
IMG_20110706_035652.jpg
Now the last coat of white...

IMG_20110706_040502.jpg
I baked it a few times to cure the paint

IMG_20110706_042112.jpg
The HTC emblem was painted over, so I just scraped off the paint to
reveal the chrome again

IMG_20110706_042532.jpg
see the difference?

IMG_20110706_045214.jpg
And here it is after 9 hrs of painting and drying!!

IMG_20110706_045223.jpg

IMG_20110706_045232.jpg
I gave it a black band to match the original design... I hope I didn't go too overboard.

I'm happy with it :)
-Should hold me off until we find another alternative! I was originally gonna go with RED but white looks so clean...

So... What do you think? Idle hands do the devils work...:cool:

Last edited:

mmcjam07

Sep 2, 2009
Atlanta
That's pretty cool, I think I'm gunna try to make mine red and black after I buy a new back. The last time I painted a battery cover (Touch Pro), the paint started eating the plastic :/

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA App

motoelliot

Nov 23, 2010
Wow! Great work... Looks nice, wish I had the coconuts to try that!

Sent from 3D A.W.E.S.O.M-O

rrsweet

Aug 9, 2010
Well I have to say I don't understand everyones love of the "white Phone" But I know that's just me. seems most people want it just to be different from all the others, including those with "white phones". now with that said. HOLY SWEET! Nice job.

ExploreMN

Jun 23, 2007
Looks pretty awesome, almost factory bought. You might want to keep the pictures on the down-low though. Knowing Apple, they will claim it looks too much like an iPhone now and sue you...because, afterall, any phone that is white, or black, or has icons, or a capacitive screen, or makes phone calls, or has cameras....is a copy of the iPhone. (notice I said "or" not "and") :p

Reactions: Neo3D
Hmmm, paint job looks decent, imho...but great creativity! My main concern is that the grooves in the back are so thin and shallow, it seems hard to get a "factory finish" look on it. But, I'm sure this will inspire others to try to do the same. Maybe, fill the grooves with drywall spackel or sand out the grooves :D

Last edited:

SBERG117

Mar 28, 2010
Nice looking work on your phone....Interested in trying this myself. Before i do though i have a small request....Can you post pics in a week or so and show how well the paint job holds up as far as scratches and chips in the paint?
I know you mentioned that you applied a few layers of clear..that should help with durability...but i still want to see how it holds up....
Thnx...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    IMG_20110706_035652.jpg
    Now the last coat of white...

IMG_20110706_040502.jpg
    I baked it a few times to cure the paint

IMG_20110706_042112.jpg
    The HTC emblem was painted over, so I just scraped off the paint to
    reveal the chrome again

IMG_20110706_042532.jpg
    see the difference?

IMG_20110706_045214.jpg
    And here it is after 9 hrs of painting and drying!!

IMG_20110706_045223.jpg

IMG_20110706_045232.jpg
    I gave it a black band to match the original design... I hope I didn't go too overboard.

I'm happy with it :)
    -Should hold me off until we find another alternative! I was originally gonna go with RED but white looks so clean...

So... What do you think? Idle hands do the devils work...:cool:
    So here's the beginning of my story...

While sitting down watching fireworks on the driveway, my phone decides to commit suicide via tumbling out of my pocket. Mind you - I don't have a case for it yet, and I'm still waiting for my screen protector to come in the mail. I felt the shift in my pocket and heard the *clack* sound as the phone bounced three times on the concrete before landing face-down. My heart dropped. After cursing up a storm I mustered up the courage to pick it up to examine it... As expected it was utter disaster. Nicks and scratches on every corner, and a little notch on the aluminum lining of the screen. I know I may sound dramatic, but I'm sure theres people out there who feel my pain.​

OK! fast-forward to today. I figured since most of the damage was to the back cover, I would just peruse this interweb thingy and find a replacement... Turns out they average about $35.00 a pop. Not bad. So then my imagination kicks in and I start to wonder if they're going to make a white Evo3D. Apparently not. Unless I'm mistaken there is no plan for a white one yet. Boo to that I say! So the guy I always argue with in my head blurted out "I might as well paint my own"... For once we both agreed and so spawned my plan...​

Here's my LIST OF SUPPLIES

• 2 SHEETS OF EXTREMELY FINE SANDPAPER
    • 1 CAN OF BLACK PRIMER SPRAY PAINT
    • 1 CAN OF WHITE PRIMER SPRAY PAINT
    • 1 CAN OF GLOSS WHITE ENAMEL SPRAY PAINT
    • 1 BOTTLE OF GLOSS WHITE TOUCH UP PAINT (just in case)
    • 1 SET OF PAINT BRUSHES (for the just in case)
    • 1 ROLL OF MASKING TAPE
    • 1 RAZOR BLADE
    • 1 BOX OF POP TARTS ( artists get hungry y'know?);)

IMG_20110706_041844.jpg

And here's the before pic... Can't see the horrendous scratches though:(
    IMG_20110705_155945.jpg

So from here on, I'll just let the pictures speak for themselves... Mostly.

IMG_20110705_161220.jpg

IMG_20110705_161812.jpg
    Made sure to remove the buttons..

IMG_20110705_161859.jpg

IMG_20110705_162256.jpg
    Ready to paint!

IMG_20110705_162916.jpg
    3 coats of primer, 2 coats of gloss white :)

IMG_20110706_025115.jpg
    Same goes for the black
    Looks pretty awesome, almost factory bought. You might want to keep the pictures on the down-low though. Knowing Apple, they will claim it looks too much like an iPhone now and sue you...because, afterall, any phone that is white, or black, or has icons, or a capacitive screen, or makes phone calls, or has cameras....is a copy of the iPhone. (notice I said "or" not "and") :p
    If u were serious, I'd ship you a back, paypal you, and wait for the magic that ships back! Theoretically, how much would u charge?

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA Premium App

As awesome as that sounds, its a little tough to decide how to work that. I would love to make some money on the side as well as aid my awesome friends here at XDA, but there is a problem with my plan:

It's hard to put a price on it because if I look for an OEM housing online, there are so few and most are expensive. For example I want to have a few on me here just in case something happens to the one you send me, like an insurance policy (if I f*ck up, you have nothing to lose). I also want to make sure YOU as the consumer have cheap access to them too, in case you want more than one color case... I know I would.

*Here is a way to find a resolve:
    Maybe some of you guys can help me find 'em cheap online. I saw one last week for $35 on Amazon but it was just one, and it disappeared fast... I need somewhere that has a lot, and has 'em cheap. THEN I can put a price that is fair with the cost of production. I hope that makes sense because it's hard for me to put into writing what's in my head:eek:
    Inspired by CoD4's red tiger camo. Best game ever.

Agreed.
    Awesome paint job BTW