[Q] heavy battery drain while browsing

Search This thread

artviz

Nov 3, 2012
Hello.

I have a huge battery drain while browsing on my sgs2 running CM10 and recently siyah 5 RC1 (before original cm10 kernel). It is hard to find threads like that, there is always talk about wakelocks and other drain issues. So I wrote a new one.

The battery drain surfing the internet over wifi is huge compared to other things I use my phone for. Example: Streaming a 720p TV show over wireless and watching it on MX player drains about 3x less battery. How is that possible?? I have no problems with wakelocks, the screen on time is usually around 3-4h, BUT, only when using rss and other apps - not touching the browser. There seem to be only a small difference between CM10 original, Firefox and Chrome, perhaps Firefox drains the least, though the power is draining so fast that its hard to compare.

So, is there a way to somehow limit the usage of the CPU or/and GPU while surfing, if this is the problem. Or does anybody have another solution.

As I said, no wakelocks and the battery lasts about 2 days if using apps for getting info-news... + only a little surfing using a browser. I had the same issue on CM9, Slim ROM and others.

thanks

kilometers4

Mar 6, 2012
Try to find a thread that has battery tweaks. You can try under clocking to 1000mhz or even 800.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

artviz

Nov 3, 2012
Try to find a thread that has battery tweaks. You can try under clocking to 1000mhz or even 800.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

It is hard to find a thread like my question. As I said my battery life is just fine. I tried many different setups (governors, shedulers, kernel, CPU and GPU steps and voltages). What I can not understand is how watching a 720p TV show streamed over wifi consumes 3x less power as opposed to only surfing the net. While browsing it seems the battery percentage is dropping every minute.

Why doesn't that bother anyone else?? I am sure its not only me. And as I said, I am happy with 1200mhz, cause the phone runs smooth and it lasts about 2 days. I only wish net surfing wouldn't take that much battery. It's definitely to much!

There has to be an answer to that problem. Is there a way to limit only the browser rendering to a specific CPU/GPU clock...?