[APPS/LIBS/FONTS/WALLPAPERS][FAQ]4.4 KitKat Apps (Google Nexus 5)

What is your favorite DPI for Google Home on the Note 3?

• 480 DPI / 4x5 Grid (DefaultI)

Votes: 80 53.7%
  • 400 DPI / 5x6 Grid

Votes: 31 20.8%
  • 320 DPI / 6x7 Grid

Votes: 38 25.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

TweakerL

Oct 6, 2010
Rosedale, MD
I have seen several threads related to this subject, however most of them just have files and no explanation about issues and how to solve them in a single OP. This is the only reason why I'm posting this. Anyway, on to the good stuff.

All necessary files with all the most likely questions answered can be downloaded
HERE - MD5: 0A0FB2CF5CB7487BFF40E1EC52D58335

All wallpapers can be found
HERE

List of included files:

Apps:

Books.apk - Google Play Books
CalendarGoogle.apk - Google Calendar
DeskClockGoogle.apk - Google Clock
DevelopmentSettings.apk - Google Development Shortcut
EmailGoogle.apk - Google Email (NOT GMAIL)
Exchange2Google.apk - Exchange Services (Adds Exchange support to Email app)
GalleryGoogle.apk - Google Galery
Gmail2.apk - Gmail
GoogleCamera.apk - Google Camera
GoogleHome.apk - Google Home (New KitKat Launcher)
GoogleTTS.apk - Google Text to Speech
Hangouts.apk - Google Hangouts (New Hangouts with SMS support)
Keep.apk - Google Keep
LatinImeGoogle.apk - Google Keyboard (New Keyboard with space bar recognition)
Maps.apk - Google Maps
PlayGames.apk - Google Play Games
PrebuiltGmsCore.apk - Google Services 4 (Required for several apps to work)
QuickOffice.apk - Google Quick Office
Street.apk - Google Street View for Maps
Velvet.apk - Google Search/Google Now

Libs:

libgoogle_recognizer_jni_l.so - Required for Google Now / Google Search
libjni_filtershow_filters.so - Required for Google Camera
libjni_mosaic.so - Required for Google Camera
liblightcycle.so - Required for Google Camera
libvideochat_jni.so - Required for Hangouts
libchromeview.so - Required for Chrome

F.A.Q.

0.1 Before replacing/modifying/deleting/uninstalling anything, I strongly advise that you make a backup of the original should anything go wrong. You have been warned!
0.2 This is not a Recovery Zip, it's meant for you to get only what you need. All you need is ROOT.

1. Something is not working / It keeps telling me that I have to update Google Play Services:
This means that you haven't installed PrebuiltGmsCore.apk that's included in this package. It's a newer version of Google Play Services that's required for several of the apps to work. I highly recommend installing it before installing anything else.​

2. Google Search / Google Now keeps crashing:
You must copy the following file from the included /system/lib folder to /system/lib in your device:
Code:
libgoogle_recognizer_jni_l.so
Make sure that permissions are set to 644.
You'll need a file explorer app with root features. I personally use File Explorer with the Root Addon as it makes it extra easy to move things around since it has a dual panel feature and also allows you to change permissions.

Also, for the launcher to work properly, you need at least the following installed, in this order:
Code:
Google Play Services - PrebuiltGmsCore.apk
Google Search - Velvet.apk
Google Home - GoogleHome.apk

3. Ok Google Feature doesn't seem to work:

First, make sure you've done all the above steps to ensure that everything else for the Launcher/Google now is working.
Then, from the homescreen:
Menu > Settings > Voice > Offline Speech Recognition > Update if possible or Uninstall and Re-install the English (US) file.

4. Photosphere is not working in the camera app:
You must copy the following files from the included /system/lib folder to /system/lib in your device:
Code:
libjni_filtershow_filters.so
libjni_mosaic.so
liblightcycle.so
Make sure that permissions are set to 644 on all those files.
You'll need a file explorer app with root features. I personally use File Explorer with the Root Addon as it makes it extra easy to move things around since it has a dual panel feature and also allows you to change permissions.​

5.Google Hangouts force closes when video calling:

You must copy the following file from the included /system/lib folder to /system/lib in your device:
Code:
libvideochat_jni.so
Make sure that permissions are set to 644 on all that file.
You'll need a file explorer app with root features. I personally use File Explorer with the Root Addon as it makes it extra easy to move things around since it has a dual panel feature and also allows you to change permissions.

6. I cannot install Maps.apk:
You'll have to uninstall your current Maps in order to be able to install the new one. I'm not sure why it is that this is the only app that cannot be updated, but that seems to be the case. I suggest backing up the original APK first with an app such as Titanium Backup and then uninstall Maps, also using Titanium Backup. Once uninstalled, proceed to uninstall the new APK and all should be fine. You may have to restart the device after uninstalling the old Maps, though I personally didn't have to.​

7. How do I make the launcher icons smaller?
In order to make them smaller you have to use Xposed Framework + Xposed App Settings to lower the DPI on the launcher.
You can get the latest Xposed Framework HERE. If you don't know what Xposed Framework is, please take a look at this post HERE.
Follow the instructions in the link above to get Xposed Framework installed. Once everything is done, open Xposed Framework go to Downloads and install App Settings.
After done installing, go back to Xposed Framework > Modules, and enable App Settings.
Reboot your Device.
Once Done rebooting, open App Settings and select Google Seach (the blue icon) Thanks to bakercj for clarifying this one.
Turn it on and change the DPI
400 DPI = 6 icons in the dock and App Drawer Grid 5x6
320 DPI = 7 icons in the dock and App Drawer Grid 6x7
Make sure to tell it to save, and then go back to the home screen. If it didn't take effect, reboot your device.

8. How do I add more home screens?

Home screens are added automatically when you try to add a widget/shortcut and slide your finger to the right of the screen while holding the new content.

9. Google Now does not show up when I swipe left on the launcher:

Press menu in the launcher's homescreen > Go to Settings > Enable Google Now.
Look at the screenshots for more guidance.

10. Google Chrome doesn't work properly:

Code:
libchromeview.so

Fully Working:[/CENTER]

Google Home
Google Now
Google Camera
Gmail
Google Email(Including Exchange Support)
Google Keep
Google Maps
Google QuickOffice
Google Play Games
Google Chrome

Sort of Working:

Google Keyboard - The Emoji doesn't show the same way as it does in 4.4 roms. Tried replacing AndroidEmoji.ttf but it did not solve it.
Google Gallery - Force Close when trying to edit a photo, Trying to find a solution.
Google Hangouts - Problems sending MMS

Attachments

• 2013-11-01-20-44-09.jpg
    2013-11-01-20-44-09.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 16,122
  • 2013-11-01-20-58-15.jpg
    2013-11-01-20-58-15.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 15,664
  • 2013-11-01-21-08-32.jpg
    2013-11-01-21-08-32.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 16,018
  • 2013-11-01-21-08-57.png
    2013-11-01-21-08-57.png
    170 KB · Views: 13,878
  • 2013-11-01-21-10-36.jpg
    2013-11-01-21-10-36.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 13,228
  • 2013-11-01-21-12-51.jpg
    2013-11-01-21-12-51.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 12,733
  • 2013-11-01-21-13-47.jpg
    2013-11-01-21-13-47.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 12,413
  • 2013-11-01-21-19-01.jpg
    2013-11-01-21-19-01.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 12,229
  • 2013-11-01-21-21-24.jpg
    2013-11-01-21-21-24.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 12,578
  • 2013-11-01-21-23-28.jpg
    2013-11-01-21-23-28.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 12,227
  • 2013-11-05-07-07-57.jpg
    2013-11-05-07-07-57.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 8,938
  • 2013-11-05-07-08-49.png
    2013-11-05-07-08-49.png
    186 KB · Views: 8,416
  • 2013-11-05-07-10-16.jpg
    2013-11-05-07-10-16.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 8,212
  • 2013-11-05-07-11-25.png
    2013-11-05-07-11-25.png
    192.8 KB · Views: 8,129
Last edited:

TweakerL

Oct 6, 2010
Rosedale, MD
Changelog:

Google KitKat Apps - 20131101143113
Added Missing Gallery App

Google KitKat Apps - 20131101143710
Added Missing Calendar App

Google KitKat Apps - 20131101145001
Added Fonts
Added:
Google TTS
Development Settings
Calculator
Downloads
Music
Phone

Google KitKat Apps - 20131101213549
Added Exchange2Google.apk - Exchange Services (adds Exchange support to the email app)

Google KitKat Apps - 20111102081334
Removed because I believe it's just compiled for 4.4, not ripped from Nexus 5 (Really belongs elsewhere):
Calculator
Downloads
Music
Phone

Google KitKat Apps - 20111102183429
Re-Added Velvet.apk (Sorry for taking it out at some point)
Added Chrome (as well as needed lib for chrome)

Google KitKat Apps - 20131102211608

After wiping my device and starting from scratch I have finally confirmed that copying updated libvideochat_jni.so to /system/lib fixes video chat in hangout, therefore I added it to the zip. Make sure not to use any Xposed Module that affects hangouts as I believe that's what caused mine to stop working.

Last edited:

Javho

Nov 26, 2012
Man the photosphere it's doesn't work properly

Enviado desde mi GT-I9070 mediante Tapatalk

8rockz

Oct 5, 2013
There is a missing lib file on ur system so it keeps fc.. Ill upload it on my dropbox

Javho

Nov 26, 2012
No I can use all of them, but the app never render the pick (photosphere) and always give me the tutorial, only permitted me take 3 photos when I enter in the photosphere

nnbengboy2

Jul 31, 2012
No I can use all of them, but the app never render the pick (photosphere) and always give me the tutorial, only permitted me take 3 photos when I enter in the photosphere

Works fine for me.

Edit: the only problem I have is the calculator crashed when I try to go to settings.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

Last edited:
Reactions: vn7labs

pham818

Dec 4, 2011
Portland
anyone know how to install it on a nexus device? when installing, it comes into conflict with the current app (dialer) for example.

Einheit-101

Jul 4, 2013
Really nice! I will try the new Quickoffice, Maps and Camera,

€DIT::: It seems all Apps are designed for devices without external Storage. I cant choose any location to save images or load Office files with Google Cam or Quickoffice, so i uninstalled the Cam. But Quickoffice is quite nice.

Last edited:

TweakerL

Oct 6, 2010
Rosedale, MD

Did you copy all three required lib files to your /system/lib and ensured they have Permissions set to 644?

Great job OP!! Thanks for simplifying. Chasing threads=No Fun!!!

XT912 RaZR SpYdEr CDMA
hit ThAnKs if I was helpful!!!

No problem, I was having to go all over the place to get all the stuff, so once I had everything, I figured why not put it all in once place so others don't have to waste a whole lot of time like I did.

Really nice! I will try the new Quickoffice, Maps and Camera,

€DIT::: It seems all Apps are designed for devices without external Storage. I cant choose any location to save images or load Office files with Google Cam or Quickoffice, so i uninstalled the Cam. But Quickoffice is quite nice.

I could be wrong, but I thought the first time I launched the Google Camera it told me that an external storage had been found and asked if I wanted to save stuff there. I could be wrong though. You are right about Quick Office though, it only gives you option to load from Google Cloud / Internal Storage.

Last edited:

Anatasia

Apr 10, 2009
Originally Posted by Terr20114
I got my video call working on the infuse. You'll need to replace a lib file. I don't have the original link so I'll upload it to my box and share my link. Gimmie a minute #nextpost

Sent from my SGH-I997
4.3.1 Jellybean (scott.hart.bti)

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

HANGOUTS VIDEO CHAT FIX
paste file in /system/lib/
Link:
https://app.box.com/s/5utx4s0okhlq7hq73pu2
You should add the video lib to avoid FC in Hangout video chat

Ranomez

Jun 1, 2010
HTC One X+
HTC Desire HD
After I installed all the apps Play Store keeps crashing, any ideea?
Also I had to move GoogleGallery and GoogleDeskClock to system cause they wouldn't install, and Google's clock keeps crashing when I run it.

EDIT: Nvm, after deleting Phonesky.apk from /system, rebooting and placing it there again, setting the right permisions and rebooting again it is working, but I must say it is odd that one of the apps from this thread made me this problem.

Last edited:

aldnnnn

May 19, 2013
running 4.1.1 here.

"Google search not found" error comes out after launching google home. Any fix for this?

Reactions: TJ_bab

kr338r

Jun 20, 2012
thanks for the thorough walkthrough,
worked like a charm on my TFP running PAC-ROM 4.3.1 nightly 11.02.2013.

very nice having the preview, cheers!

Sent from my Transformer Prime using Tapatalk 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have seen several threads related to this subject, however most of them just have files and no explanation about issues and how to solve them in a single OP. This is the only reason why I'm posting this. Anyway, on to the good stuff.

All necessary files with all the most likely questions answered can be downloaded
    HERE - MD5: 0A0FB2CF5CB7487BFF40E1EC52D58335

All wallpapers can be found
    HERE

List of included files:

Apps:

Books.apk - Google Play Books
    CalendarGoogle.apk - Google Calendar
    DeskClockGoogle.apk - Google Clock
    DevelopmentSettings.apk - Google Development Shortcut
    EmailGoogle.apk - Google Email (NOT GMAIL)
    Exchange2Google.apk - Exchange Services (Adds Exchange support to Email app)
    GalleryGoogle.apk - Google Galery
    Gmail2.apk - Gmail
    GoogleCamera.apk - Google Camera
    GoogleHome.apk - Google Home (New KitKat Launcher)
    GoogleTTS.apk - Google Text to Speech
    Hangouts.apk - Google Hangouts (New Hangouts with SMS support)
    Keep.apk - Google Keep
    LatinImeGoogle.apk - Google Keyboard (New Keyboard with space bar recognition)
    Maps.apk - Google Maps
    PlayGames.apk - Google Play Games
    PrebuiltGmsCore.apk - Google Services 4 (Required for several apps to work)
    QuickOffice.apk - Google Quick Office
    Street.apk - Google Street View for Maps
    Velvet.apk - Google Search/Google Now

Libs:

libgoogle_recognizer_jni_l.so - Required for Google Now / Google Search
    libjni_filtershow_filters.so - Required for Google Camera
    libjni_mosaic.so - Required for Google Camera
    liblightcycle.so - Required for Google Camera
    libvideochat_jni.so - Required for Hangouts
    libchromeview.so - Required for Chrome

F.A.Q.

0.1 Before replacing/modifying/deleting/uninstalling anything, I strongly advise that you make a backup of the original should anything go wrong. You have been warned!
    0.2 This is not a Recovery Zip, it's meant for you to get only what you need. All you need is ROOT.

1. Something is not working / It keeps telling me that I have to update Google Play Services:
    This means that you haven't installed PrebuiltGmsCore.apk that's included in this package. It's a newer version of Google Play Services that's required for several of the apps to work. I highly recommend installing it before installing anything else.​

2. Google Search / Google Now keeps crashing:
    Code:
    libgoogle_recognizer_jni_l.so
    Make sure that permissions are set to 644.

Also, for the launcher to work properly, you need at least the following installed, in this order:
    Code:
    Google Play Services - PrebuiltGmsCore.apk
    Google Search - Velvet.apk
    Google Home - GoogleHome.apk

3. Ok Google Feature doesn't seem to work:

First, make sure you've done all the above steps to ensure that everything else for the Launcher/Google now is working.
    Then, from the homescreen:
    Menu > Settings > Voice > Offline Speech Recognition > Update if possible or Uninstall and Re-install the English (US) file.

4. Photosphere is not working in the camera app:
    You must copy the following files from the included /system/lib folder to /system/lib in your device:
    Code:
    libjni_filtershow_filters.so
    libjni_mosaic.so
    liblightcycle.so
    Make sure that permissions are set to 644 on all those files.
    You'll need a file explorer app with root features. I personally use File Explorer with the Root Addon as it makes it extra easy to move things around since it has a dual panel feature and also allows you to change permissions.​

5.Google Hangouts force closes when video calling:

Code:
    libvideochat_jni.so

6. I cannot install Maps.apk:
    You'll have to uninstall your current Maps in order to be able to install the new one. I'm not sure why it is that this is the only app that cannot be updated, but that seems to be the case. I suggest backing up the original APK first with an app such as Titanium Backup and then uninstall Maps, also using Titanium Backup. Once uninstalled, proceed to uninstall the new APK and all should be fine. You may have to restart the device after uninstalling the old Maps, though I personally didn't have to.​

7. How do I make the launcher icons smaller?
    In order to make them smaller you have to use Xposed Framework + Xposed App Settings to lower the DPI on the launcher.
    You can get the latest Xposed Framework HERE. If you don't know what Xposed Framework is, please take a look at this post HERE.
    Follow the instructions in the link above to get Xposed Framework installed. Once everything is done, open Xposed Framework go to Downloads and install App Settings.
    After done installing, go back to Xposed Framework > Modules, and enable App Settings.
    Reboot your Device.
    Once Done rebooting, open App Settings and select Google Seach (the blue icon) Thanks to bakercj for clarifying this one.
    Turn it on and change the DPI
    400 DPI = 6 icons in the dock and App Drawer Grid 5x6
    320 DPI = 7 icons in the dock and App Drawer Grid 6x7
    Make sure to tell it to save, and then go back to the home screen. If it didn't take effect, reboot your device.

8. How do I add more home screens?

Home screens are added automatically when you try to add a widget/shortcut and slide your finger to the right of the screen while holding the new content.

9. Google Now does not show up when I swipe left on the launcher:

Press menu in the launcher's homescreen > Go to Settings > Enable Google Now.
    Look at the screenshots for more guidance.

10. Google Chrome doesn't work properly:

Code:
    libchromeview.so

Fully Working:[/CENTER]

Google Home
    Google Now
    Google Camera
    Gmail
    Google Email(Including Exchange Support)
    Google Keep
    Google Maps
    Google QuickOffice
    Google Play Games
    Google Chrome

Sort of Working:

Google Keyboard - The Emoji doesn't show the same way as it does in 4.4 roms. Tried replacing AndroidEmoji.ttf but it did not solve it.
    Google Gallery - Force Close when trying to edit a photo, Trying to find a solution.
    Google Hangouts - Problems sending MMS
    Changelog:

Google KitKat Apps - 20131101143113
    Added Missing Gallery App

Google KitKat Apps - 20131101143710
    Added Missing Calendar App

Google KitKat Apps - 20131101145001
    Added Fonts
    Added:
    Google TTS
    Development Settings
    Calculator
    Downloads
    Music
    Phone

Google KitKat Apps - 20131101213549
    Added Exchange2Google.apk - Exchange Services (adds Exchange support to the email app)

Google KitKat Apps - 20111102081334
    Removed because I believe it's just compiled for 4.4, not ripped from Nexus 5 (Really belongs elsewhere):
    Calculator
    Downloads
    Music
    Phone

Google KitKat Apps - 20111102183429
    Re-Added Velvet.apk (Sorry for taking it out at some point)
    Added Chrome (as well as needed lib for chrome)

Google KitKat Apps - 20131102211608

After wiping my device and starting from scratch I have finally confirmed that copying updated libvideochat_jni.so to /system/lib fixes video chat in hangout, therefore I added it to the zip. Make sure not to use any Xposed Module that affects hangouts as I believe that's what caused mine to stop working.
    Work in Galaxy S Advance with CM 10.1

Sent from my GT-I9070 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 12:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 AM ----------

Any solution for Gallery? Force Close to edit a photo :(

Sent from my GT-I9070 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Works fine for me.

Edit: the only problem I have is the calculator crashed when I try to go to settings.
    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app
    running 4.1.1 here.

"Google search not found" error comes out after launching google home. Any fix for this?