US Cellular Variant Offical Thread

Search This thread

Testicopolicious

Jul 9, 2012
Hey guys, the Samsung Galaxy S III is finally coming to US Cellular this Thursday and/or Friday.
This is the official thread for the US Cellular variant of the phone.
We will discuss mods, flashing, rooting, and etc.

Testicopolicious

Jul 9, 2012
In for my 2 friends on USCC whose phones I'll be rooting (for tether). Hopefully it won't be locked like VZW.

It won't, I spoke with a US Cellular representative today and it's where I got the release date and other details.
The thing is, that the phone does have a lot of similarities with Verizon, so the devs have 2 options.
They can make one for US Cellular and edit it for Verizon.
But as Verizon is a larger carrier, they'll probably get the Developer's edition of the phone and then at some point make a root for the US Cellular version.
You think that CyanogenMod 9 or 10 will be supported for the USC variant?

Pompsy

Jul 5, 2012
I am switching this fall when my contract is up in Verizon to US Cellular. What will the dev scene look like on this phone? Will it be easy to port ROMs from other GS3? If there are very few devs working on this phone, how easy is it for a end user to port the ROM from another GS3?

chakra

Apr 9, 2005
since I already have a mini sim and a lTE acount thats active, from my Galaxy Nexus on verizon, can I just pay cash for the us cellular version and plug in my active sim and it will work?

Testicopolicious

Jul 9, 2012
There's no reason why not.

As far as root, the CWM flash method has worked on all variants thus far, I don't see why it won't work on the USCC phone.

Well, there are already people getting the phone today, but I know that past phones like the Mesmerize and the Aviator have been Cyanogenmod supported, and Root supported.
Do you happen to know which carrier US Cellular has the most similarities to?

Testicopolicious

Jul 9, 2012
I am switching this fall when my contract is up in Verizon to US Cellular. What will the dev scene look like on this phone? Will it be easy to port ROMs from other GS3? If there are very few devs working on this phone, how easy is it for a end user to port the ROM from another GS3?

The US Cellular variant of the Galaxy S II shared a lot of similarities with the Epic4G Touch.
Well, as US Cellular is finally starting to grow, I've seen a lot of developers for AOKP and CM9 discussing the possibilities of ROMs by making it for the 4G Touch, and just porting it over by changing a few things.
I can't answer that last question as I really have no idea on porting ROMs, but as I said in another post, it's either closer to Verizon or Sprint.
But for the S II, I've seen a few threads that it was very easy, but that they just had to change a few things, so I'm assuming that it's not that much of a hassle.

Testicopolicious

Jul 9, 2012
since I already have a mini sim and a lTE acount thats active, from my Galaxy Nexus on verizon, can I just pay cash for the us cellular version and plug in my active sim and it will work?

I've tried Googling that but I can't seem to find an answer.
Some answers say yes some say no, but I think that US Cellular has more similarities to Verizon than any other carrier, at least that's my speculation in terms of radios, as they both use the same spectrum.
But you can go to the website and go to a live chat with a representative and ask there.

sageDieu

Oct 18, 2010
this phone can be rooted with the method that team epic uses for the sprint version. I dunno what the website you're talking about does but it is the same method as it is with all the other carriers.

I would love to see a separate section for us, no we aren't gonna have a whole lot of development going on compared to the big 4 but it would be really nice to have a place where we can have specific discussions and rom ports and things for just us.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: PriTel03

vexx00

Aug 4, 2009
Yes that site just has a set by step guide for installing the Team Epic recovery using ODIN and it worked on my US Cellular Galaxy S III.

Seconded on the separate forum idea. I think there will be more than enough people to have one. I know a lot of people is moving to this from the Desire and that had a decent sized community.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    root66 for US Cellular R530UVXALK5

I was grabbing some stock files to compare CSC's so figured I'd post up a pre-rooted stock USC R530UVXALK5 (Jelly Bean 4.1.1).

This is the same thing I post for the Verizon Galaxy S III in this thread except for US Celluar but if you have questions they could more than likely be answered by reading there. This should not wipe data.
    Download root66_USC_R530UVXALK5.7z

Also here is an ODIN flashable stock recovery from the same base: USC_recovery_R530UVXALK5.tar.md5

Enjoy US Cellular people....
    My successful d2usc roms

I have tried several flavors and kinds but my favorite so far is SlimKat.

CM11 M10 to M12 - Android 4.4.2-4 - Installed just fine. No network. No signal. Abandoning all hope as APN does not resolve issue or flashing current baseband of R530UVXUBMJA (4.3 Jellybean Baseband)
    • Download
    • N/A

SlimKat: Slim-d2lte-4.4.4.build.7.0-OFFICIAL - Android 4.4.4 - Installed just fine (used CWM Recovery). Network and data alright! Excellent battery life (almost 13 hours on one charge). Dark UI. NOTE: Build 9.0 breaks network and data but 7.0 is really good.
    • Download
    • Cannot post URLs... wah wah

LiquidSmooth: LS-LP-v4.1-2015-05-14-liquid_d2usc - Android 5.1.1 - Installed easily. Took a while to set up but runs very nicely. Lots of changes between 4.4.4 and 5.1.1. Not great battery life but better than stock. MMS is not workind for me (did not try to hard to fix it though, just reverted to SlimKat Build 7). Uses Layers to theme device. Used Inversion UI for Layers.
    • Download
    • Cannot post URLs... wah wah

RESULTS:

1. SlimKat: Most stable, longest battery life, Dark UI.
    2. LiquidSmooth: Most up to date with Lollipop.
    3. CyanogenMod: Lost all network capabilities. Old. US Cellular not being actively supported.
    Is there any way to disable RUIM on JZ054K (4.1.2) build? My coworker recently moved from USCC territory to where we are now, and USCC told him he has 30 days to port out because he is roaming 24/7. I've tried DFS & CDMAworkshop but neither will make RUIM NVONLY setting stick. I have yet to try QPST/QXDM.

use one of these password on DFS

Sprint: 01F2030F5F678FF9 or 2012112120131219 (2013+)
    USCC: 2010031619780721
    Verizon: 2009031920090615 or 2010031619780721

and then set to NV Only ( I clicked write several time, and it sticks! )
    The kernel source has been released for the SCH-R530U (aka the USCC version) on opensource.samsung.com. It's really up to a developer now to do some building.
    Has anyone rooted this phone yet? Can we get our own section?