[APP] [+3.0] Wifi Scheduler

• Thread starter Deleted member 267841
  • Start date
Search This thread

VnnAmed

Sep 23, 2011
Poznań
Google Pixel 4a
Ok, after a day with this app I am very happy. It does it's job. No more annoying turning Wi-Fi on/off for me. Best spent 6 pln this month. Thanx mr. developer :) U R making life better :D

jolas

Feb 22, 2006
Athens
My wifi breaks (can't turn it on), after a couple of hours.
I have to reboot to make it work.
I don't know if it is because of this application or it is a kernel/rom problem.

I deactivated Wifi Scheduler to see if problem occurs.

My device is Nexus 4, running latest versions of Mahdi786 ROM and AK kernel

Last edited:

joaonuno

May 8, 2012
Lisboa
My wifi breaks (can't turn it on), after a couple of hours.
I have to reboot to make it work.
I don't know if it is because of this application or it is a kernel/rom problem.

I deactivated Wifi Scheduler to see if problem occurs.

My device is Nexus 4, running latest versions of Mahdi786 ROM and AK kernel

Hi,
Sometimes I can't turn WiFi on. Maybe it's some sort of bug (app, rom or kernel.....), my workaround is to activate and deactivate airplane mode. It works.

Last edited:

jolas

Feb 22, 2006
Athens
Hi,
Sometimes I can't turn WiFi on. Maybe it's some sort of bug (app, rom or kernel.....), my workaround is to activate and deactivate airplane mode. It works.

I solve it by soft reset, but the other problem is that by breaking WiFi means that neither the application can turn on WiFi, thus even when I'm on my house it uses my gprs data plan instead of my WiFi network.

I start to believe that it's application's problem, there are similar comments in play store...

Sent from my Nexus 4

Last edited:

tzyn

Dec 19, 2010
Berlin
I have the same problem. Because of that the app didnt enable wifi when i'm in the green cell again. So with that bug the wifi scheduler isn't useful.

I'm using cm11 on a Galaxy S4. But never had a problem to enable/disable Wifi.

joaonuno

May 8, 2012
Lisboa
I think it is still useful, you'll notice after a few days. As I said before, if you define in settings to pause app in airplane mode, when you or the app can't toggle WiFi just activate and deactivate airplane mode that it will be alright. This happens to me for instance if I arrive to new WiFi spot or if I leave or lose a WiFi connection and then come back. It might be an app bug but I think it may have something to do with the time defined in settings to activate or deactivate WiFi.
Some timers can't be configurable for less than 15 minutes, what I think would be good.
Anyway I think it's a great app with good support from dev.
Regards

jolas

Feb 22, 2006
Athens
I think it is still useful, you'll notice after a few days. As I said before, if you define in settings to pause app in airplane mode, when you or the app can't toggle WiFi just activate and deactivate airplane mode that it will be alright. This happens to me for instance if I arrive to new WiFi spot or if I leave or lose a WiFi connection and then come back. It might be an app bug but I think it may have something to do with the time defined in settings to activate or deactivate WiFi.
Some timers can't be configurable for less than 15 minutes, what I think would be good.
Anyway I think it's a great app with good support from dev.
Regards

I'm sorry to say but as long as this bug exists this application is useless as it is not an automatic WiFi management application.

There is no difference between manually turn on/off WiFi or manually turn on/off airplane mode, to make this application to work...

Sent from my Nexus 4

joaonuno

May 8, 2012
Lisboa
I'm sorry to say but as long as this bug exists this application is useless as it is not an automatic WiFi management application.

There is no difference between manually turn on/off WiFi or manually turn on/off airplane mode, to make this application to work...

Sent from my Nexus 4

I see your point, but i'm not getting that bug many times, just occasionally.

tzyn

Dec 19, 2010
Berlin
It seems that i got this bug immediately when i'm leaving the wifi range and the scheduler turns wifi off. If i came back or join another cell with a known wifi after some time the scheduler doesn't activate wifi anymore and manually it's not possible. So for me it's very often.

And if i have to do something manually, check the phone everytime when i'm in the wifi range and just cannot trust that it works correctly then the app is sadly useless. Because then it wastes battery and mobile data traffic and so it's even better to let wifi always on.

I like the idea and used "y5 battery saver" a long time ago. I dont want to bash the app or sth like that. I just want to report the bug and i hope he can fix it.

D

Deleted member 267841

I have the same problem. Because of that the app didnt enable wifi when i'm in the green cell again. So with that bug the wifi scheduler isn't useful.

I'm using cm11 on a Galaxy S4. But never had a problem to enable/disable Wifi.

What time have you configured to pass before enable wifi when you connect to a green cell tower?
Remember that when app enable wifi it will be automatically disabled after a while (2 minutes by default) if wifi connection isn't established.

D

Deleted member 267841

Please,

I'm using the app in my daily with no problems.

If any is suffering any problem, please, post a logcat.

Thanks

Reactions: ralpheboyo

Mike B.

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 17, 2011
/
Using Wifi Scheduler PRO 2.1.60 with the GEO 1.0.11 and RANKING 1.04 modules. No problem here but a request: for those of us in the few remaining countries that haven't switched to metric yet: it would be nice if the toast from the geolocation module ("You are at about xxxx kilometers of the cell tower") could show distances in miles instead of km. Since it's using Google Maps, it's probably feasible without major headaches but I haven't found a way with the current version.

D

Deleted member 267841

Using Wifi Scheduler PRO 2.1.60 with the GEO 1.0.11 and RANKING 1.04 modules. No problem here but a request: for those of us in the few remaining countries that haven't switched to metric yet: it would be nice if the toast from the geolocation module ("You are at about xxxx kilometers of the cell tower") could show distances in miles instead of km. Since it's using Google Maps, it's probably feasible without major headaches but I haven't found a way with the current version.

Added to the new release.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Mike B.

Mike B.

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 17, 2011
/
If I remember correctly, the default for the Google Maps API is metric (UnitSystem.METRIC?) for kilometers/meters but it also allows imperial (UnitSystem.IMPERIAL?) for miles/feet.

tzyn

Dec 19, 2010
Berlin
What time have you configured to pass before enable wifi when you connect to a green cell tower?
Remember that when app enable wifi it will be automatically disabled after a while (2 minutes by default) if wifi connection isn't established.

I used stock settings. So nothing is changed.

And yes, i know. But the problem is that i cannot activate wlan anymore. Not for a second. In the status bar if i tick the wlan toggle or "enable wifi" on the wifi scheduler notification and in android settings if i tick the slider it stays off and nothing happen. So if i'm in the range of a new wlan (unknown to wifi scheduler yet and need to learn) i cannot activate wifi. And if i join the cell of a known wifi and stand near by the router the wifi scheduler also doesn't (or cannot) activate wifi anymore. No matter how long i wait (1, 2 or more hours).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 267841

I used stock settings. So nothing is changed.

And yes, i know. But the problem is that i cannot activate wlan anymore. Not for a second. In the status bar if i tick the wlan toggle or "enable wifi" on the wifi scheduler notification and in settings if i tick the slider it stays off and nothing happen. So if i'm in a range of a new wlan that wifi scheduler didn't know yet and need to learn i cannot activate wifi.

I think this is a hardware/kernel issue (possibly induced by the app, I don't know ATM).
Please, can you post (or send by email) a logcat when you have this issue.

When I developing the app I have suffer a similar issue sometimes.
The app was enabling/disabling the Wifi correctly, but sometimes, when the app (or manually) enable the wifi, it can enable but can't connect (the icon remains in white (JB) or orange (KK)).
This is a kernel issue and was solved in a recent update of CM-11 (this is the ROM that I use).

joaonuno

May 8, 2012
Lisboa
I think this is a hardware/kernel issue (possibly induced by the app, I don't know ATM).
Please, can you post (or send by email) a logcat when you have this issue.

When I developing the app I have suffer a similar issue sometimes.
The app was enabling/disabling the Wifi correctly, but sometimes, when the app (or manually) enable the wifi, it can enable but can't connect (the icon remains in white (JB) or orange (KK)).
This is a kernel issue and was solved in a recent update of CM-11 (this is the ROM that I use).

Also suffer from this.
I'm on PacRom 4.3.1 and apolo kernel, samsung i9100.
as i said when this happens i activate and deactivate airplane mode and it starts working again.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    D
    Deleted member 267841
    This thread is the continuation of this other: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2734122, that I've closed due the app has totally renewed and the working algorithm has been totally updated.

INTRODUCTION

The Wifi consumes a lot of battery, this is a really, and the main consumption occurs while the system is looking for a network to connect (which happens when we are not connected to a wifi network).

This app attempts to minimize the battery consumption, and does so in a very simple way: turning off the wifi, which translates into a real battery saver.

So, when it detects that the device has been disconnected from a wireless network, and after waiting a reasonable time (configurable), the hardware wifi going to off.

In order to set wifi state the app monitorizes the cell tower in which your device is connected and classifies it statistically the possibility of establishing a wifi connection, enabling or disabling the wifi attending to this possibility.

The app classifies the cell towers in four colors: green, yellow, red and black.

A green cell tower is a tower in which range exists a wifi network at which you have connected recently.

A yellow cell tower is a tower in which range do not exists a wifi network in which you have connected recently, but you have entered in their range rarely.

A red cell tower is a yellow tower visited some times or a green cell at which you have connected some times without establish a wifi connection.

A black cell tower is a red tower visited often.

The app updates the cell tower color at runtime when you enter/exit from a cell tower.

The application also allows you to add notifications in the status bar, view the history of connections (PRO version), auto disable while airplane mode active, etc.

DOWNLOAD

attachment.php

Play store link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ryosoftware.wirelessmanager

XDA GIFT

People from XDA can use the app PRO features without pay via a PROMO code (this PROMO code allows to access all PRO features but shows Ads).
    In order to redeem it do this:

1) Enter app
    2) Open app settings
    3) Go the page down and click (7 times) in the last preference (the preference that shows the app version) [the key only works for version 1.2.16 and higher]
    4) In the dialog enter the key above (none of your accounts are shared or sent to our servers)
    5) Press "accept" button

Code:
    Code:
    dYjVJoq6WBdVE5/GMbHH9RCOquNbFC6sbfAxvECOi0x5SQg2TLXgZi2n63t5sqT8P7AWYT5g1984lyrtwuIQHx1zvgwazm6Z3QKqFqMZSkL/LbbNqJbvkxXNmwk20tRSh8vgWkT1dfiJ3SgyF4qn3GkpWrg8sM1zTOX6LJ0CMw0=

If you use the key provided above, please consider to click in the Ads sometimes or buy the PRO version (via In App purchase) in order to access to some future functionalities (and remove annoying Ads).
    D
    Deleted member 267841
    GENERAL INFO

INTRODUCTION

Wifi hardware is responsible for much of the battery consumed by modern smartphones.

When wifi is on and there are no active connections, system periodically scans the spectrum looking for a network to connect, which increases consumption.

With this application you can stop worrying about whether you have activated wifi when get home or office or if you have deactivated it when leave off, as the application itself will do it for you.

Some applications allows you to enable or disable wifi depending on your GPS location, it consumes more resources than the wifi itself.

This app, however, uses telephone network to establish its position, which becomes a real and perceptible consumption savings.

CELL TYPES

When your device connects to a phone cell, it search in the app databases for previous connections to the same cell, and assigns a color depending on it.

A cell can pass (dinamically) by the following colors:

NEW

The first time that you connect to a cell.

When you enter in a new cell the app enables the wifi hardware (you can set the time until the activation) and disables after a while (you can also set this time) if no connection established.

GREEN

A wifi connection has been established in the past while your device was connected to the cell.

When you enter in a new cell the app enables the wifi hardware (you can set the time until the activation) and disables after a while (you can also set this time) if no connection established.

YELLOW

A wifi connection has not been established in the past while your device was connected to the cell.

RED

When is not possible to connect to a wifi network repeatedly (configurable number of times) in a green or yellow cell, it becomes red.

When you enter in a new cell the app disables the wifi hardware (you can configure the time until the deactivation).

BLACK

A black cell is a red cell visited often (you can set the number of visits that are needed to convert a red cell into a black cell).

When you enter in a new cell the app disables the wifi hardware (you can configure the time until the deactivation).

HOW IT WORKS

Depending of the current cell type, app enables or disables the wifi hardware, in order to accept connections or save battery.

You can configure the wifi hardware activation time (after which wifi is disabled) and also the wifi reactivation time (if it is a long time in a cell the app restarts the wifi activation cycle).

TRANSITIONS

A new cell becomes yellow or green depending if is abandoned before a wifi connection was established or not.

A green or yellow cells that is visited often without establish a wifi connection becomes red.

A red cell that is visited several times without establish a wifi connection becomes black.

If wifi connection is established in a red or black cell, it turns green.

ADDITIONAL INFO

If device stablish a connection with a cell and wifi is not enabled for a minimum time (configurable) before leave it, the cell will not be considered.

FORCE WIFI ON / OFF

You can configure app to automatically pause background service when you disable manually the wifi, by example by enter in wifi settings then setting off the correspondent switch.

In this case, the background service doesn't really stops and continues to scanning for cells (and converts not green cells into green cells if a wifi connection is established), but the app doesn't manages the wifi state.

In addition, you can configure app to automatically restart background service scheduler when you manually set wifi on.

OTHER SETTINGS

You can configure several items related to cell or wifi events.

Also you can add a notification to the status bar and view the connections history.
    D
    Deleted member 267841
    FAQ

Is the app using GPS hardware?

No and yes...

Stock app is not using GPS hardware at all (in fact GPS access permision is not required).

Geolocalization module, not installed by default, allows users to geolocalize cells and uses GPS in order to show your position.

Is the app sharing the identifiers of the cells or wifi networks at which I connect?

No and yes...

Stock app is not sharing your position or the cells in which you are connected at all.

Geolocalization module, not installed by default, uses the API provided by OpenCellID.

OpenCellID is the world's largest collaborative community project that collects GPS positions of cell tower.

When we read the OpenCellID database we need to send (anonymously) the identifier of the current cell and your GPS position, in order to contribute with the project.

If you install the geolocalization module you will receive a confirmation dialog before share your data the first time.

What does the red number next to some cells in the main view?

There are the number of times that you have connected with this cell and cannot connect with a wifi network.

When the number reaches the maximum number of connection errors (that is configurable for PRO version), the cell will become red.

What does the blue bar that appears sometimes at left to a cell in the main view?

The blue bar located at the left of a cell in the main view identifies the cell at which you are connected, and is only show when you are connected to a wifi network.

I have configured a new wifi network in my device, but app says that the near cells are red or black and will not turn on the wifi.

If the app marks a cell as red (or black) is because it has not been possible to establish a wifi connection there.

You can force the connection activating the wifi manually.

App will detect the connection and automatically turn on the wifi on these occasions.

Wifi is automatically set to on when I enter in a green cell, even if phone is in airplane mode.

You can configure app to do not manage wifi settings if airplane mode is active.

My phone is not rooted. I can use this app?

Yes

Why are root permissions used?

If provided, root permissions are used to set the <I>supplicant scan interval</I>, that is a system parameter and cannot be modified by normal users.

When wifi is on, system searches for networks from time to time, and that time is specified by the <I>supplicant scan interval</I> parameter.

The app need many permissions. Why?

The permissions we use are needed for:

Get accounts: To validate the PRO key.

Internet: To show Ads (only in free version).

Get and set network and wifi states: To set wifi and mobile data state (is the main goal of the app).

Read and write sdcard: To backup and restore backups.

Receive boot completed: To start the app in boot time, if configured.

Superuser: To update supplicant scan interval if configured.
    D
    Deleted member 267841
    ADDITIONAL MODULES

GEOLOCALIZATION (optional)

It allows to geolocalize cells.

Geolocalization is based in the OpenCellID Project, that provides geolocalization for cell towers.
    In some cases the geolocalization is not accurate, due that it depends from the measures provided by the users.

Play store link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ryosoftware.wirelessmanager.geolocalization

RANKING (optional)

It allows to use the app like a game.
    The goal of the app is to discover cell towers (achievements) and to visit know cell towers (leaderboard).

Play store link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ryosoftware.wirelessmanager.game
    D
    Deleted member 267841
    man, that would drive me crazy! good luck with it.
    In the meantime - some issues I have been experiencing...

When in a green cell area my phone does not activate the wifi unless my screen is "awake" - despite my wifi setting being set to "Always On" when asleep. I wish there was more history in the "Connections History" to say that a connection to wifi was attempted at XX O Clock but failed for whatever reason, or if none was made...

PC is here and configured...
    I restart working on this app :)