Can someone support the USB GPS

Search This thread

AngelOfGrief

Jan 26, 2009
Hi, just a little followup on UsbGPS4Droid_alpha3.apk. I was not able to run it successfully until I enabled GPS functionality in build.prop. Or, one can just enter setprop gps.enable true from command prompt to make it work.

Thanks for the prog btw. Will try alpha4 now! Have you by any chance added 'start on boot' option?

herbert1

Jul 25, 2007
I have already use this app and this really worked and can find stars,but the only problem is should run the script I have posted in previous post.

su root
stty -F /dev/ttyUSB0 ispeed 4800

After the script you can use the app. I test it use the gps status and get many within 10s. And also use it to navigate in g-map. Though with this problem but I fell the usb-gps app is all I want to be.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA

Just a little question ? I guess we can use the GPS device for input and output, so why do you only change the input speed ?

netglitch

Jan 1, 2011
Here is a quick and dirty adapted version of BlueGPS4droid in order to read NMEA data from a file/device.
Instead of giving the name of a bluetooth device you have to give the path of a file.
Don't know if it will work: since I don't have any usb Gps, I cannot test.
However it's working with plain files, so I hope it will also work with /dev/ttyUSB0.

You should be able to see on the logcat if it recognizes NMEA sentences or not.
If you can post a copy of the logcat it could be useful for me.

If it's working, I will put the code in a new repository (forked from BlueGps4Droid), clean the code, re-inject other languages and advanced functionalities we have inblueGPS4droid, etc.

How to use it :
0) plug the GPS usb device
1) allow GPS use, if possible (don't know if you can)
2) enable mock locations in "Settings/Applications/Development/Allow mock locations" (It's important !)
3) start UsbGps
4) choose a NMEA device (device path: ako /dev/ttyUSB0 - it has to be readable ! )
5) eventually activate "auto-enable location provider" in "location provider options" (useful if you cannot enable "Use GPS satellites" option (in step 1)
6) start the service using the start checkbox
7) look if something happens in the logcat...

I wish I could hit the Thank button for your post but I don't see one anywhere. Maybe I'm too new. In anycase thank-you. Before I came across your project I was using serial communication to get NMEA strings off the GPS. Makes it difficult for me to run multiple services dependent on location data due to I/O blocking. Your solution using mock providers is much superior.

Last edited:

herbert1

Jul 25, 2007
Hi,

Someone stated that I should call "busybox stty -F ..." instead of "stty -F ...", because, if busybox is installed, stty isn't a standalone binary.

For me it makes sense.

Are some of you using something else (than busybox) and, as I cannot test myself, can you confirm that it's working ?

Herbert

Reactions: chaskarn

KiLLWarez

Feb 26, 2006
Anyone tried to connect USB GPS on ICS?

I want to connect MTK GPS bridged to USB with CP2102.

KiLLWarez

Feb 26, 2006
Successfully connected MTK GPS device bridged to USB with CP2102 to today famous Mele A1000. It was flashed to ICS, then added CP210x module to kernel, then set speed manually in your app. After that my nav app found sattelites in seconds. herbert1, thank you for your app!

zero2008

Aug 18, 2012
Successfully connected MTK GPS device bridged to USB with CP2102 to today famous Mele A1000. It was flashed to ICS, then added CP210x module to kernel, then set speed manually in your app. After that my nav app found sattelites in seconds. herbert1, thank you for your app!

Could you please explain how to add the cp210x module to the kernel! As I'm trying to get a cp2104 to work with a MK802..

Many thanks
Zero

herbert1

Jul 25, 2007
Thanks for the feedback

Herbert

dcplaya

Aug 28, 2009
Cincinnati
www.twitter.com
I am currently trying to get a USB GPS (GlobalSat BU-353) working correctly on a Pandaboard running Jellybean. It looks like you guys have it working in JB so I am hoping it will work for me.

The device cant seem to connect. There is no /dev/ttyUSB0 listed in the /dev folder. Anyone have any idea what I need to do?

Last edited:

herbert1

Jul 25, 2007
I've some good news: Globalsat, which used BlueGps4Droid to build its GPL Android version of GPSinfo, is willing to help us and has sent me a couple GPS (a BT-338 to replace mine which is dying and a BU-353 ) :cool:
So when I'll receive the OTG usb cable I just bought, I hope I'll be able to work more seriously on UsbGps4Droid (till now I didn't have any USB GPS so develop UsbGps4droid wasn't very easy ! :silly: ).
If everything goes well, I hope to build a version which won't need root access or custom drivers. :fingers-crossed:

Herbert

dcplaya

Aug 28, 2009
Cincinnati
www.twitter.com
I've some good news: Globalsat, which used BlueGps4Droid to build its GPL Android version of GPSinfo, is willing to help us and has sent me a couple GPS (a BT-338 to replace mine which is dying and a BU-353 ) :cool:
So when I'll receive the OTG usb cable I just bought, I hope I'll be able to work more seriously on UsbGps4Droid (till now I didn't have any USB GPS so develop UsbGps4droid wasn't very easy ! :silly: ).
If everything goes well, I hope to build a version which won't need root access or custom drivers. :fingers-crossed:

Herbert

This is amazing news! It wont be processor specific will it (As in TI or Samsung or Qualcomm)? I dont know if it was before

Bishop Sad Clown

Sep 28, 2012
Nice
feedback on cube u30gt-h, Jelly Bean Rooted and R/W enabled

Hi,

UsbGPS seem to be ok... some GPS soft see the GPS service is started ( on ttyUSB0 - BU-353 device ) but any data are used with differents softs and I have a recurent message:

UsbGPS: Connection problem
Will retry 5 more times before closing

=· (

Cheers...

@++

herbert1

Jul 25, 2007
Hi,

Currently I don't have a lot of time. However my first experiments with the Android USB API are promising.
So I hope to release the new version based on the USB API in the coming weeks.

Herbert

PS : Bishop Sad Clown, the message explains that the app is not able to read correctly the tty. It should be readable for everyone (generally not the case by default) and properly configured ( normally 4800 baud, 8 bits no parity 1 stop bit for a BU-353)

herbert1

Jul 25, 2007

Herbert
Here a preliminary version of UsbGps4Droid built using Android SDK USB Host API. It will need at least Android 3.1 ( version 12 - Honeycomb MR1) and a device with USB host support (the source code is in usb_api branch on the Github UsbGps4Droid repository).
I've tested it with a Globalsat BU-353 on a Galaxy Nexus (International GSM version) and on an Asus transformer Prime. It works on both devices. I'm using stock unmodified firmware on both devices (Android 4.1.1 - build JRO03C).
A priori no particular driver kernel is needed nor root access :D

Herbert

Attachments

• UsbGPS4Honeycomb_MR1_alpha.apk
    73.8 KB · Views: 20,742
Reactions: al73r

Bishop Sad Clown

Sep 28, 2012
Nice
PS : Bishop Sad Clown, the message explains that the app is not able to read correctly the tty. It should be readable for everyone (generally not the case by default) and properly configured ( normally 4800 baud, 8 bits no parity 1 stop bit for a BU-353)

Thx for this search way but after several breaking head days I didn't find anything =· ( ... But I keep hope, and I'm still searching... My head is litle, yes but it's robust =· þ

thx for your interest and good job !

=· )

@++

Last edited:

userdownload

Oct 26, 2012
bu 353

Here a preliminary version of UsbGps4Droid t."]Android SDK USB Host API[/URL]. It will need at least Android 3.1 ( version 12 - Honeycomb MR1) and a device with USB host support (the souce code is in usb_api branch on the Github UsbGps4Droid repository).
I've tested it with a Globalsat BU-353 on a Galaxy Nexus (International GSM version) and on an Asus transformer Prime. It works on both devices. I'm using stock unmodified firmware on both devices (Android 4.1.1 - build JRO03C).
A priori no particular driver kernel is needed nor root access :D

Herbert

Hi Herbert
First of all many thanks for jour work.
But after having installed your application on my Cube U30gt, i have plugged my Bu 353 till i got sattelites (led blinking) ,
Your appli was ont able to detect my GPS .
i ami running Android 4.11
Coule y ou help me please
Jpm

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is a quick and dirty adapted version of BlueGPS4droid in order to read NMEA data from a file/device.
    Instead of giving the name of a bluetooth device you have to give the path of a file.
    Don't know if it will work: since I don't have any usb Gps, I cannot test.
    However it's working with plain files, so I hope it will also work with /dev/ttyUSB0.

You should be able to see on the logcat if it recognizes NMEA sentences or not.
    If you can post a copy of the logcat it could be useful for me.

If it's working, I will put the code in a new repository (forked from BlueGps4Droid), clean the code, re-inject other languages and advanced functionalities we have inblueGPS4droid, etc.

How to use it :
    0) plug the GPS usb device
    1) allow GPS use, if possible (don't know if you can)
    2) enable mock locations in "Settings/Applications/Development/Allow mock locations" (It's important !)
    3) start UsbGps
    4) choose a NMEA device (device path: ako /dev/ttyUSB0 - it has to be readable ! )
    5) eventually activate "auto-enable location provider" in "location provider options" (useful if you cannot enable "Use GPS satellites" option (in step 1)
    6) start the service using the start checkbox
    7) look if something happens in the logcat...
    Hi Herbert!
    If you can help me please!
    I have a tablet with Android 1.6 and USB GPS dongle DN-100 by usglobalsat.

This is a peace of dmesg when it attached:

usb 1-2.3: new full speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 6
    usb 1-2.3: New USB device found, idVendor=067b, idProduct=2303
    usb 1-2.3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
    usb 1-2.3: Product: USB-Serial Controller D
    usb 1-2.3: Manufacturer: Prolific Technology Inc.
    usb 1-2.3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    pl2303 1-2.3:1.0: pl2303 converter detected
    usb 1-2.3: pl2303 converter now attached to ttyUSB5

If run the code:

su root
    stty -F /dev/ttyUSB5 ispeed 38400 && cat < /dev/ttyUSB5

see standard NMEA sentences (GGA / RMC / ...) (speed 38400 from user manual)

But you aplication USBGPS4DROID dont install in my tablet (I think it to another version Android)
    Any idea?

Google has changed the API used to start Android services between Donuts (Android 1.6) version and Eclair (Android 2.0).
    As bluetooth API has been introduced in the SDK with Eclair, BlueGPS4Droid was initially made for Eclair.
    When I've made the USB version, I've kept the Eclair target.

Since I've made a BlueGPS version specifically for Cupcake and Donuts, I can also try do so for UsbGPS... (but as stated before I won't be able to test it, so...).

You will find the sources and the APK on github : https://github.com/HvB/UsbGps4Droid - https://github.com/HvB/UsbGps4Droid/downloads

Herbert

If you're happy with this work, you can use the thanks button... :)
    This is just an early preliminary version. Actually it assumes 4800 bps GPS (default speed for Globalsat BU-353) . The next version will have the speed option reactivated and even (if I can manage it) an auto configure option.
    If you can reconfigure your GPS to use 4800bps instead of 19200bps there is a chance it will work.
    Or you can wait for the next version and try again : since your gps is recognized, normally the next version should be able to managed it
    Herbert.

Here it is.
    With this new version (note that's still an early preliminary version) you will be able to specify the USB GPS connection speed and, eventually, to auto detect it. It should also, normally, better manage the USB connections. SiRF configuration has also been reactivated :)

Herbert
    According your steps, gps running, but it seemed not get the data. No gps searching notification icon flashed and in the log data I don't see any thing. The information in my pm is not correct. I use the wrong device folder. But changed back to \dev\ttyUSB0, I can connect but no data.

I don't have any usb GPS, so I cannot test anything myself! If you want something I will need a little more informations.

So here are some little things you can do to provide more details.

First you can verify if you receive something from your usb GPS:
    Connect your android device to you computer and open a command shell on your android device using
    Code:
    adb shell
    Then you can use
    Code:
    hexdump -c /dev/ttyUSB0
    to display what the gps is sending (replace /dev/ttyUSB0 with your usb gps dev). You should see standard nmea sentences...

If you don't see valid nmea sentences you can use
    Code:
    stty -a -F /dev/ttyUSB0
    to obtain more informations on your dev.

You can also verify read/write access rights of the device
    Code:
    ls -l /dev/ttyUSB0
    We need at least read access. If we don't then you will need to root the android device in order to be able to change the access rights on the dev.

If the hexdump command works well then you can run usbGps and use the
    Code:
    logcat
    command to obtain more informations on what happens in the the usbGps app (it would help me a lot!).

Also if usbGps doesn't work it should display a notification (not very useful but it can help a little).

Herbert

PS: the name of the device should really be something like /dev/ttyUSB0 with "/" not "\", so if you try to use "\dev\ttyUSB0" as your device name il will not work and it's normal.
    Hi Herbert,
    On the advice of Ian Fernandez of USGlobalSat I tried your usbGPS4Honeycomb_MR1_alpha.apk application on my 7" Double Power model EM63 tablet (Jellybean 4.1.1, Kernel version 3.0.8) using their model BU-353 GPS receiver and am unable to get any response (the GPS LED never blinks and there is no recognition of a GPS on any of several GPS programs) . I am now looking into the USB lines as I connected the male cable from the GPS to the male USB cable that came with the tablet through a male-to-male USB adapter (female-female). Other than something there, or possibly a USB problem with the tablet, it appears that your app does not function on this DoPo tablet. I will keep you posted on progress.
    Jim

FWIW on my tablet one USB port wouldn't work for t he GPS...but would work for a keyboard or thumb drive. With the GPS you HAVE to use an OTG cable. With that, I was able to get it work.