Bounty: Unlock the P880G (Canadian 4X)

Search This thread

jphillip

Feb 19, 2008
Mississauga
I'd really like to see the P880G get an unlocked bootloader like every other 4X variant in the world has. But since I don't have enough time and technical expertise, I'm going to try setting up a bounty for someone who may be able to do it instead. Although I expect I'll be the only one willing to contribute. :(

LG has pretty much admitted they'll never release another update for the P880G (anyone who's gotten a reply from them gets either "we have no plans to release an update" or "there is currently no info on future updates"). So it looks like a solution will have to be hacked. It's unfortunate that Kholk's unlocking efforts ended once V20a was released.

So if you would be willing to chip in, or have info on who might be willing to work on this or how to find someone, please post here.

nemesishaven

Feb 5, 2010
Toronto
I hate to be a negative nelly about this but there are a number of complicating factors.

I'd really like to see the P880G get an unlocked bootloader like every other 4X variant in the world has.
First off, there *are* no other 4X variants. The roms have been localized to carriers, for sure, but our P880g is the only 4X that's warranted a different model number. Is the hardware actually different? We don't know. It might be. This is the heart of a greater issue.

It's unfortunate that Kholk's unlocking efforts ended once V20a was released.
It's my understanding that Kholk did what he could and came to the conclusion that there were no exploitable flaws--before the release of LG's bootloader unlock. That ended up not being a huge deal because V20a was around the corner and so most users got the unlock they wanted anyways.

Given Kholk's experience with the P880 bootloader, I think trying to directly unlock the P880g bootloader is a fool's errand. That's not to say there isn't hope. What currently prevents us from installing V20a (or any other P880 rom) is a model check. If the model on the phone can be altered/spoofed, then it may be possible to install the unlockable bootloader/ROM. HOWEVER there is no guarantee that those ROMs would actually work on the P880g. So even if you get an unlocked bootloader, you may just end up with a phone that doesn't work.

Now, that's an empirical question. In a best case scenario, the hardware is actually identical and the radio/modems are interchangable and work just fine on 1700 without any manual tweaking. In a worst case scenario, you unlock your P880g and brick it with the first non-P880g rom you try to install.

I've resigned myself to the idea that my P880g will never receive an upgrade. I did the research on the 4X HD and didn't notice that our model had a different model number--else I wouldn't have bought it, because I saw how much of a difference flashing made in the lifecycle of my previous phones. That said I'm not too pissed, because I feel our stock ROM's pretty usable. In the long run, I may stick to Nexus devices in the future, despite their individual shortcomings.

Improbable as it is, I'd pitch in $30 for an upgrade path from stock P880g to a (working) cyanogenmod/custom ROM.

Reactions: Flying_Bear

Flying_Bear

Jan 16, 2011
good luck. i think however p880g's bootloader with ICS is non-unlockable, unfortunately. good luck either way, hope something good comes from this for canadian users :good:

jphillip

Feb 19, 2008
Mississauga
First off, there *are* no other 4X variants. The roms have been localized to carriers, for sure, but our P880g is the only 4X that's warranted a different model number.
You're right, bad wording on my point. There were a number of regions that received an update that didn't seem to comply with the unlocking, but the community came together to clear those up.

Given Kholk's experience with the P880 bootloader, I think trying to directly unlock the P880g bootloader is a fool's errand. That's not to say there isn't hope. What currently prevents us from installing V20a (or any other P880 rom) is a model check. If the model on the phone can be altered/spoofed, then it may be possible to install the unlockable bootloader/ROM. HOWEVER there is no guarantee that those ROMs would actually work on the P880g. So even if you get an unlocked bootloader, you may just end up with a phone that doesn't work.
Well, at this point I'm open to paying someone to try. :) Heck, I'll do it to my own 4X, if it bricks I'll be forced to get a more reliable phone anyway.

As for the bounty, I figured I'd start at $50 myself. I'm almost more interested in sticking it to LG Canada than getting Jellybean on my phone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I hate to be a negative nelly about this but there are a number of complicating factors.

I'd really like to see the P880G get an unlocked bootloader like every other 4X variant in the world has.
    First off, there *are* no other 4X variants. The roms have been localized to carriers, for sure, but our P880g is the only 4X that's warranted a different model number. Is the hardware actually different? We don't know. It might be. This is the heart of a greater issue.

It's unfortunate that Kholk's unlocking efforts ended once V20a was released.
    It's my understanding that Kholk did what he could and came to the conclusion that there were no exploitable flaws--before the release of LG's bootloader unlock. That ended up not being a huge deal because V20a was around the corner and so most users got the unlock they wanted anyways.

Now, that's an empirical question. In a best case scenario, the hardware is actually identical and the radio/modems are interchangable and work just fine on 1700 without any manual tweaking. In a worst case scenario, you unlock your P880g and brick it with the first non-P880g rom you try to install.

I've resigned myself to the idea that my P880g will never receive an upgrade. I did the research on the 4X HD and didn't notice that our model had a different model number--else I wouldn't have bought it, because I saw how much of a difference flashing made in the lifecycle of my previous phones. That said I'm not too pissed, because I feel our stock ROM's pretty usable. In the long run, I may stick to Nexus devices in the future, despite their individual shortcomings.

Improbable as it is, I'd pitch in $30 for an upgrade path from stock P880g to a (working) cyanogenmod/custom ROM.