Bluetooth problem with your car? Please read

Search This thread

agold2009

May 17, 2011
Do you have a problem with your bluetooth on your Samsung device working correctly with your vehicles bluetooth? Does it get disconnected? Does it not even pair? Does the problem seem to be occurring with the phonebook being downloaded? If you are encountering this or any other bluetooth related problems with your Samsung device. Please post the following like below:

Year: 2010
Make: BMW
Car Model: M3 Coupe
Phone Model: Droid Charge

I'm in contact with a software engineer at Samsung, we need to get this issue PROPERLY resolved. This issue is not with our car manufacturer (as Samsung like to put the blame on them), but instead with Samsung. Numerous models of their phones do not successfully pair or only temporarily hold a pair with vehicle installed bluetooth kits. I believe this to be a problem with the Bluetooth Phone Book Access Profile (PBAP) on Samsung devices specifically as all other model phones successfully pair with my vehicle.

Please post in this thread if you are encountering or encountered any issues!

Reactions: salcedo0007

erasmogjr

Mar 30, 2009
I have 2011 ford fusion but I think the problem is from the cars not supporting the phones I had this happen with a droid x a Samsung fascinate a htc Thunderbolt and an iPhone 4 since I got the car a few weeks ago. Ya im a phone addict so what. :) anyways now it's happening with the charge exact same issue with each phone and ford has said with each one that it is the sync software that is picky about the phonebook.

CJNYC

Apr 7, 2006
New York
Works flawlessly

Works perfectly with none of the problems you described...

agold2009

May 17, 2011
Very odd. You have the exact same model year as me. Do you have iDrive?

See my post here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532450

3 other M3 owners complain of the same thing. How did you get it to work?

Did you have any initial issues pairing it? There is another member on the BMW forum that has encountered problems but kinda fixed it.
Works perfectly with none of the problems you described...

burningembers

Sep 11, 2010
No major issues here: 2011 Infiniti G37x

The only quirk I've noticed, but I've noticed it with all phones I've tried connecting, is that the Handset Phonebook doesn't download until you do one handset phonebook voice search. Could just be Infiniti.

ITGuy11

Aug 26, 2010
Phone disconnects Bluetooth during phonebook download.

2010 Ford Fusion
Sync system with nav
Droid Charge

Sent from my SCH-I510 using XDA App

LADAR123

May 29, 2011
2011 Honda Accord Crosstour
Verizon Droid Charge
IF linked AND power cycle phone THEN will not link again unless I relink manualy.

FYI, never a problem with my previous HTC Touch Pro2!

Last edited:

Doc T2

May 29, 2011
BMW - Samsung Charge Phone Book BlueTooth Workaround

Fix for this is counterintuitive. When you start your phone or restart bluetooth go to Settings>Applications>Running Services. Look for the Service "BluetoothPbapService". tap it, then hit stop. This removes it from the list. The phone pairs and uploads the phone book without problems until you either stop and restart bluetooth or turn your phone off. I am looking for a developer who can automate this process with an app without rooting the phone. Hope this helps.

agold2009

May 17, 2011
Fix for this is counterintuitive. When you start your phone or restart bluetooth go to Settings>Applications>Running Services. Look for the Service "BluetoothPbapService". tap it, then hit stop. This removes it from the list. The phone pairs and uploads the phone book without problems until you either stop and restart bluetooth or turn your phone off. I am looking for a developer who can automate this process with an app without rooting the phone. Hope this helps.

This works Doc. I wonder why it works when its disabled.

Riddlin

Jul 19, 2010
Year: 2011
Make: Dodge
Car Model: Charger RT

Works pretty good, but cuts out quite a bit while playing music over my cars speakers.

CJNYC

Apr 7, 2006
New York
Very odd. You have the exact same model year as me. Do you have iDrive?

See my post here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532450

3 other M3 owners complain of the same thing. How did you get it to work?

Did you have any initial issues pairing it? There is another member on the BMW forum that has encountered problems but kinda fixed it.
OK, so here's what I've figured out. My initial response regarding the 2010 M3 being perfect was premature, though I have figured out where the issue lies. When my Charge connects to iDrive the first time, everything works, as it holds the connection and the phone book downloads perfectly. It's on repeated reconnections when I get back in the car that the signal will drop after a few minutes. Only when I reset the Bluetooth radio within the Charge does it again hold the signal. My guess is that the Charge is caching some information that it shouldn't be, which is causing it to disconnect after a reconnection. Again, if the Bluetooth radio within the Charge is reset, the connection always holds perfectly.

Hope this helps.

mattj949

Nov 19, 2010
Year: 2011
Make: Honda
Car Model: Odyssey EX with Navi

Drops off all the time on the phone. Intermittantly downloads phonebook and dial history.. The audio portion works "most" of the time but also drops off. System is called "handsfreelink" in the car.

IT'S DRIVING ME NUTS!

agold2009

May 17, 2011
Guys. Follow Doc's post in disabling the service PBAP in your Running Services. This has fixed the problem for me as of now. No problems with connections. You must do it each time you power cycle the phone though

Reactions: latoso

mattj949

Nov 19, 2010
For rooted users:

go to /system/app/bluetoothpbap.apk and rename to bluetoothpbap.apk.bak. reboot your phone and pair again with your car.

This worked PERFECTLY for me, it works exactly the way it should now and the phonebook/everything is all good. :D :D :D

agold2009

May 17, 2011
I just rooted my phone. How do I get to this directory though?
For rooted users:

go to /system/app/bluetoothpbap.apk and rename to bluetoothpbap.apk.bak. reboot your phone and pair again with your car.

This worked PERFECTLY for me, it works exactly the way it should now and the phonebook/everything is all good. :D :D :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    BMW - Samsung Charge Phone Book BlueTooth Workaround

For rooted users:

Issue solved for me

Somebody on another forum pointed me to the Bluetooth Phonebook app available on the Play Store from from android-rsap. It solved the problem of contacts not getting imported from my DROID Bionic. It cost only and there's a trial version you can try for free. But beware: the trial version deliberately corrupts the imported phone numbers -- use it only to verify that it will solve your problem. If it doesn't work, unpair your phone so that the corrupted numbers are no longer in your vehicle's directory. If it does work, buy the paid version and resync.

Vehicle: Toyota Prius 2012
    Phone: DROID Bionic
    Android version: 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean)

Finally I found what was the problem.... the munber of contacts... if you gather Google, Facebook, Linkedin, etc the number of contact increase dramatically then your car is not able to load them all and disconnect.
    I selected google contact only and now everthing is fine
    :good::good:
    by the way I have tried Bluetooth Phonebook and was useless for my problem
    Do you have a problem with your bluetooth on your Samsung device working correctly with your vehicles bluetooth? Does it get disconnected? Does it not even pair? Does the problem seem to be occurring with the phonebook being downloaded? If you are encountering this or any other bluetooth related problems with your Samsung device. Please post the following like below:

I'm in contact with a software engineer at Samsung, we need to get this issue PROPERLY resolved. This issue is not with our car manufacturer (as Samsung like to put the blame on them), but instead with Samsung. Numerous models of their phones do not successfully pair or only temporarily hold a pair with vehicle installed bluetooth kits. I believe this to be a problem with the Bluetooth Phone Book Access Profile (PBAP) on Samsung devices specifically as all other model phones successfully pair with my vehicle.

Please post in this thread if you are encountering or encountered any issues!
    2007 Mercedes Benz S550
    Droid Charge

Sent From My VooDood Charge