[GUIDE] Read this before going for eMMC replacement.

Search This thread

siimmaivel

Jan 19, 2011
Tallinn
I have exactly the same problem. I've ran through all of the steps as you have and I'm pretty much desperate as well. Maybe to add something to the background... I've also tried to update hboot and even install 4EXT Recovery v2.2.7 RC5, but unsuccessfully.

I always get the I/O error on adb.

C:\Users\E6410>adb shell
~ # su
su
/sbin/sh: su: not found
~ # dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18 of=/sdcard/backup.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18 of=/sdcard/backup.img
dd: /dev/block/mmcblk0p18: I/O error
~ # dd if=/sdcard/hboot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18
dd if=/sdcard/hboot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18
dd: can't open '/sdcard/hboot.img': No such file or directory
~ # dd if=/sdcard/hboot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18
dd: writing '/dev/block/mmcblk0p18': I/O error
1+0 records in
0+0 records out
0 bytes (0B) copied, 4.734085 seconds, 0B/s
~ #

This occurs when I try to update hboot.

If I try to flash hboot.img or recovery.img through fastboot, it tells me:

C:\Windows\system32>fastboot flash boot ..\hboot.img
error: cannot load '..\hboot.img'

C:\Windows\system32>fastboot flash boot ..\recovery.img
error: cannot load '..\recovery.img'

I'm running out of ideas. Please help!

amidabuddha

Jun 26, 2011
I have exactly the same problem. I've ran through all of the steps as you have and I'm pretty much desperate as well. Maybe to add something to the background...

Have you tried the fastboot oem command (several posts above) and immediately after it (without rebooting) fastboot flash hboot (engineering, 0.98.2000 for example).

spankranger

May 5, 2009
Amsterdam
Thank you very much! the hboot is still updating, so i will wait some more and hope that everything is going to be alright. I'll keep you informed about the proces.

Just reboot my phone because it did not work.
It's been on all night without any progress.
I just tried 4EXT Recovery, but excacly like siimmaive without succes.
After al i tried the last four days, now i start to realise that it's imposible to install something with your internal storage partitions screwed up.
Because al the error i'm getting en a lot of other people are related to this.
What can do the trick is to fix the partitions somehow.

siimmaivel

Jan 19, 2011
Tallinn
Have you tried the fastboot oem command (several posts above) and immediately after it (without rebooting) fastboot flash hboot (engineering, 0.98.2000 for example).

I did that. Did not work. I even tried to update it through hboot again, but unsuccessfully. It seems though that hboot crashes very often when either rebooting from menu or when flashing an update. Also, the same happens when flashing RUU.

I don't want to give up hope, but just in case, is there an effective way to brick your phone for warranty service?

Last edited:

amidabuddha

Jun 26, 2011
Just reboot my phone because it did not work.
It's been on all night without any progress.
I just tried 4EXT Recovery, but excacly like siimmaive without succes.
After al i tried the last four days, now i start to realise that it's imposible to install something with your internal storage partitions screwed up.
Because al the error i'm getting en a lot of other people are related to this.
What can do the trick is to fix the partitions somehow.

You can try one more thing. Keep in mind that your phone is bricked, so don not blame me if it breaks completely (this can be ever better, because you can give it for a repair under warranty, they will never know that you have custom software on it).
If you are agree with the above. Continue with the following:

Download the archive from here and extract it.

Put the sdparted folder on your C: drive (you will have C:\sdparted)

make sure that you have adb connection, open cmd and type or better paste from here:
Code:
cd C:\sdparted
adb push e2fsck /sbin/
adb push mke2fs /sbin/
adb push parted /sbin/
adb push resize2fs /sbin/
adb push sdparted /sbin/
adb push tune2fs /sbin/
adb shell
cd /sbin
chmod 0755 e2fsck
chmod 0755 mke2fs
chmod 0755 parted
chmod 0755 resize2fs
chmod 0755 sdparted 
chmod 0755 tune2fs
then type:

Code:
parted /dev/block/mmcblk0p25 mkfs 1 ext3
parted /dev/block/mmcblk0p26 mkfs 1 ext3
parted /dev/block/mmcblk0p27 mkfs 1 ext3
after each command there will be a confirmation prompt.
If this works, then you will have restored partitions and you can try to install PG88IMG.zip from your SDcard again

Last edited:
Reactions: siimmaivel

amidabuddha

Jun 26, 2011
I did that. Did not work. I even tried to update it through hboot again, but unsuccessfully. It seems though that hboot crashes very often when either rebooting from menu or when flashing an update. Also, the same happens when flashing RUU.

I don't want to give up hope, but just in case, is there an effective way to brick your phone for warranty service?

Try the "parted" command posted above.

You can brick the phone if you flash a component that do not belongs to it. Like a hboot or a radio for another region

amidabuddha

Jun 26, 2011
Also since there is a chance that the "fastbot oem" command unlocked you hboot for overwriting you can try to flash the hboot again:
  1. by the "dd" command in the adb shell
  2. or if still getting the I/O error in adb put the PG88IMG.zip from the first post in you SDcard and go to hboot menu in bootloader. But this time before flashing open the archive and change in the android-info.txt the number from 1.28.401.1 to 1.47.401.4

Last edited:

siimmaivel

Jan 19, 2011
Tallinn
Step 1 did not work, I got the same I/O error again.
When I tried to install the modified PG88IMG.zip, the bootloader showed "Parsing... PG88IMG.zip" and then it went back to the menu, like nothing had happened.

But it would be even difficult to brick my half-bricked phone, as I cannot flash any component, not to mention the wrong ones.

Last edited:

amidabuddha

Jun 26, 2011
Step 1 did not work, I got the same I/O error again.
When I tried to install the modified PG88IMG.zip, the bootloader showed "Parsing... PG88IMG.zip" and then it went back to the menu, like nothing had happened.

But it would be even difficult to brick my half-bricked phone, as I cannot flash any component, not to mention the wrong ones.

Ok :). Then you will definitely try the following with the hboot.img from the first post:

Code:
fastboot erase hboot
fastboot flash hboot hboot.img
fastboot reboot bootloader

this commands have to be made together, no reboot between. Result if works: total brick or new bootloader

siimmaivel

Jan 19, 2011
Tallinn
I tried that as well. It seems that I don't have the permission for that action.

C:\Windows\system32>fastboot erase hboot
erasing 'hboot'...
FAILED (remote: partition is not allowed to be erased!)
finished. total time: 0.007s

C:\Windows\system32>fastboot flash hboot hboot.img
error: cannot load 'hboot.img'

amidabuddha

Jun 26, 2011
I tried that as well. It seems that I don't have the permission for that action.

C:\Windows\system32>fastboot erase hboot
erasing 'hboot'...
FAILED (remote: partition is not allowed to be erased!)
finished. total time: 0.007s

C:\Windows\system32>fastboot flash hboot hboot.img
error: cannot load 'hboot.img'

maybe your sdcard is not mounted

in adb shell type:
Code:
mount /sdcard
or
Code:
mount /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 /sdcard
and try the "dd" command again

amidabuddha

Jun 26, 2011
also (a wild guess) but try:
Code:
fastboot boot hboot.img
in the folder where your hboot.img from the first post is extracted

also tell me what is happening when you type
Code:
fastboot oem rebootRUU

Last edited:

siimmaivel

Jan 19, 2011
Tallinn
It seems that I might have problems with accessing the SD card via adb or fastboot.

I tried mounting SD card through adb with both provided commands and in both cases I got this:
mount /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 /sdcard
mount: mounting /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 on /sdcard failed: No such file or directory

After the command "fastboot oem rebootRUU" I got this:
C:\Widows\system32>fastboot oem rebootRUU
. . .
and it did not do anything for a while.

After "fastboot boot hboot.img" I got:
C:\Widows\system32>fastboot boot hboot.img
cannot load 'hboot.img'

However, when I tried the command in first post
adb shell
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18 of=/sdcard/backup.img
reboot-bootloader
it had created the backup.img on my SD although it said it cannot write.

Last edited:

siimmaivel

Jan 19, 2011
Tallinn
What ls /dev/block/ returns?
Code:
C:\Windows\system32>adb shell
~ # ls /dev/block/
ls /dev/block/
loop0       loop7       mmcblk0p14  mmcblk0p20  mmcblk0p27  mmcblk0p8
loop1       mmcblk0     mmcblk0p15  mmcblk0p21  mmcblk0p28  mmcblk0p9
loop2       mmcblk0p1   mmcblk0p16  mmcblk0p22  mmcblk0p3   mmcblk1
loop3       mmcblk0p10  mmcblk0p17  mmcblk0p23  mmcblk0p4   platform
loop4       mmcblk0p11  mmcblk0p18  mmcblk0p24  mmcblk0p5
loop5       mmcblk0p12  mmcblk0p19  mmcblk0p25  mmcblk0p6
loop6       mmcblk0p13  mmcblk0p2   mmcblk0p26  mmcblk0p7

fbcyborg

Mar 28, 2008
ROME
Well, mmcblk1p1 is not listed. Here's why you cannot mount it.
Maybe because it is not partitioned, since I can see only mmcblk1.

fbcyborg

Mar 28, 2008
ROME
How could it be partioned?

This should be simple enough.
You should have both mmcblk1p1 and mmcblk1.

To make the partition on the sdcard you can do it using a flash card reader and format under windows as FAT32 (as usual you do "format disk") or under Linux using fdisk or cfdisk or parted or gparted to create the partition and finally:

Code:
mkfs.vfat /dev/mmcblk1p1

fbcyborg

Mar 28, 2008
ROME
Thanks! I'm going to try this out later in the evening, but where should I enter this code you mentioned? To adb or fastboot?

Neither in adb nor in fastboot.
They are common Linux applications.

Are you using Linux or Windows?
The partitioning/formatting operations doesn't have anything to do with adb and fastboot.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    E:Can't open /cache/recovery/log
    E:Can't open /cache/recovery/log
    E:Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log
    E:Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log
    When you see this message in your recovery do not panic.

Setup adb/fastboot on your computer (there is a simple guide in my signature). Then connect your device to the PC, enter recovery, open cmd (command prompt) on the PC and type:
    Code:
    adb shell
    dmesg | grep mmc0
    If the output contains the following strings:
    Code:
    mmc0: failed to get card ready
    mmc0: reinit card
    mmc0: Starting deferred resume
    mmc0: Deferred resume failed
    Than you internal memory (eMMC) is corrupted i.e. your chip is "fried". This is a hardware issue (reference here) and the chip has to be replaced. Sorry, no other solutions available.

If not - your chip is not fried!

This message results from a destroyed /cache partition - some relevant info here

Some basic thing has to be done to solve this problem easily:
    • NEVER PULL THE BATTERY! Better have the patience to wait it to be completely drained
    • always keep a Backup of your current ROM and/or the Stock ROM, made from Recovery on your SDcard
    • enable USB Debugging in your Settings -> Applications -> Development and keep it that way
    • disable Fastboot in Settings -> Power to have total shutdown on power off
    • after unlocking (S-OFF) your device with Revolutionary flash an Engineering bootloader (e.g. 0.98.2000) to be able to overwrite it when needed
    • use 4EXT Recovery rather than ClockworkMod it has much better functionality
    To restore one of the following has to be done:

1. restore the Nandroid backup if you have done it

or

2. restore the cache partition - wipe /cache from the Recovery (preferred - thanks forcefreak). If the size of the partition says <null> (when Printing partition info in 4EXT Recovery) connect your device to a PC, go into adb shell (look the link in my signature for adb setup) and type
      Code:
      mke2fs /dev/block/mmcblk0p27
      do not pay attention to the busy partition message, then
      Code:
      reboot recovery
      Note that this option will format your cache as ext2 or ext3 type. If you are using ext4 just use the 4EXT Recovery to reformat them as ext4

or
    3. According to craigcharlie's post
      selecting the Factory reset option in the HBOOT is also a way to boot to Recovery and then flash a custom ROM or restore a backup

or

4. if steps 1/ 2/ 3 are not working flash the relevant RUU (the same or higher version than your current and correct region/brand - you can find the available for Desire S here) when your phone is in FASTBOOT USB mode in bootloader (you may need to reinstall the HTC drivers) [credits go to dave303 and the guide in his blog.]

4.1 If you have a 6.98.1000 hboot
      Change your hboot with this one
      Download PG88IMG.zip, extract it and use Android Flasher to flash the extracted hboot.img
      The hboot version now should be 0.98.2000

Search in this thread for the proper RUU and install it.

4.2 If you have a 6.98.1002 hboot
      Change your hboot with this one
      Download the hboot_0.98.0000.zip and extract it, boot your phone to Recovery, connect to PC, copy the hboot.img file to your SDcard, open command prompt and type:
      Code:
      adb devices [I](your device serial number should be displayed)[/I]
      adb shell [I](there should be a command prompt with the # symbol in front if not type "su" without the quotes)[/I]
      dd if=/sdcard/hboot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18[I][/I]
      if not working try to unmount/mount the SDcard:
      Code:
      adb devices [I](your device serial number should be displayed)[/I]
      adb shell [I](there should be a command prompt with the # symbol in front if not type "su" without the quotes)[/I]
      umount /sdcard [I](not a typo the command is umount, not u[B]N[/B]mount)[/I]
      mount /sdcard
      dd if=/sdcard/hboot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18[I][/I]
      Search in this thread for the proper RUU and install it.

NOTE: If you have a custom ROM and no info about your original software version the solution is as follows:
      Connect the device, enter the bootloader and type the following command in the cmd:
      Code:
      fastboot getvar version-main
      This is the number of your original software.

If this number is higher than the one of your RUU and you cannot flash it, change the number with the version of your RUU (be careful - use the correct RUU for your brand/region!) with misc_version that can be found here - post #1, link from step 1.

If you have problems with some of the above post in the Desire S General forum or in this thread to receive support. Some cases can be individual but there is always a chance to fix before going for a replacement
    OK!

Here we go. You may find the 4EXT_Recovery_v2.2.7_RC5.zip file attached to this post. I've downloaded it using the 4EXT Recovery Control apk.

You can flash the 4EXT Recovery unzipping the file and performing the following command when in fastboot mode:

Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    fastboot reboot-bootloader
    And then enter into the recovery.

Make sure the file recovery.img is in your current working directory.
    D
    Deleted member 4123551
    Wow.sick tutorial. this must get a place in the index in very very big, bold letters.

Sent from my HTC Desire S/S510e using XDA App
    I still have 3 months warranty and dont want HTC to have an excuse to void my warranty and make me pay for a replacement Mainboard.
    Like this guy: [Guide] How to brick your Desire S
    It seems the eMMc was not fried by me or the s-off tool, but HTC just cheaped out on the eMMC chips in these phones.

Just got a message from HTC Netherlands after sending my phone to them.
    They say that the eMMc was fried by the s-off tool I had used. And thats why my warranty is now void. They tell me the replacement of the main board cost me €180,- :mad:
    But if i dont want that and just want to get my phone back, i still need to pay them €30,- for the research of it. WTF!! next time i will microwave the freaking phone before i sent it to them. Now they just refurbish it and give it away....
    I'm totaly done with this policy. thanks again for everybody's help.
    Thanks a lot for the explanation. You was very clear now.
    So, if I'm not wrong, and if I've really understood everything, you mean that my old ClockworkMod Recovery is still there, and the 4EXT (that is a modified CWM recovery), is a sort of upgrade of CWM.

Anyway, I have a doubt about the hBoot you mentioned: the 0.98.2000 which is reported as the original one in the related thread, but before S-Offing and rooting my phone with revolutionary, I had 0.98.0002. Is it not different?

4EXT Recovery is based on ClockworkMod, but is has more functionality...now you can still use your backups from CWM, even to convert them to ext4 format (check the 4EXT thread in my signature all is described there.

Now, my explanation above was related to the bootloaders (hboot) :)
    For the Desire S there are the following hboot versions:
    0.98.0000, 0.98.0002 and 2.00.0002 - Stock. The latter currently cannot be unlocked by Revolutionary exploit
    0.98.2000 - "old" Engineering bootloader that allows you to flash system stuff like custom Recovery, different Radio version, unsigned stuff, etc.
    2.00.2002 - Engineering bootloader with the same functions as the "old" one but with different partition style (/cache is 150 MB smaller and /system has 150 MB more space), but currently supported only by the new OTA (Stock) ROM
    6.98.1000 and 6.98.1002 - Revolutionary/Alpharev Engineering bootloader that is installed on your device after S-OFF, with the same functions and partition style as 0.98.2000, but cannot be directly overwritten by RUU if you get in trouble...