S3 or note?

Search This thread

OPGT

Dec 11, 2012
rowlett
Hey XDA I have a note and my mother is willing to trade me for her S3. Would you consider it an upgrade? I would miss the spen but I really think the big phone is not for me. It a hassle to Carry around especially with the extended battery. Could someone give me some advice on if its worth it. Thanks in advance.
-Matt

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

bh87771

Jul 20, 2012
I actually think that once the upgrades come to the s3 that it have the same functions as the note 2 other than the s pen.

Sent from my i777 using xda premium

crixley

May 25, 2012
I have both and the s3 is better, I won't lie.

Much smoother, the cpu/gpu is a big upgrade.

I would do it. I go back and forth between the two, but imo the s3 is the superior of the two.

Now the note 2 on the other hand....

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

I actually think that once the upgrades come to the s3 that it have the same functions as the note 2 other than the s pen.

Sent from my i777 using xda premium

I'm using a rom now with multi-window and stuff on it, it is fantastic.

Not to mention I get much better battery life than on my note

jimmer411

Jul 15, 2009
Note2 > S3 > note at this point in time. S4 is right around the corner which means the note3 isn't too far off either. Right now isn't really a good time to upgrade

Jamesyboy

Jun 5, 2010
Chicago, IL
Note2 > S3 > note at this point in time. S4 is right around the corner which means the note3 isn't too far off either. Right now isn't really a good time to upgrade

If we're to believe Samsung Display, the display arm of Samsung, which is actually a desperate company, there might not be a Note 3 as we know it. They're replacing both the Note 2 display, as well as the S3 display with a 1920x1080 4.99 inch panel this year. This according to Anandtech. I suppose we could see a curved OLED touting Note, but then again, flexible OLED yield isn't supposed to be good enough for production runs til 2014.

Unless they're keeping the display a secret, this is what most would expect. This doesn't mean that they'll have some other type of offering or combination to allow SPen functionality on say....the S4, but I wouldn't personally design a new chassis around an S4 and call it a Note.

I'd definitely choose the S3 at this point. The Development support will last significantly longer than it will for this device. Isn't it the most popular Android device ever? That is to say, more users often means more ROMs, the pressure to update and develop for it will be higher.

Since were not talking about an upgrade, its a no brainer.

But if you had to use an upgrade, or pay more than say....50-100 bucks (personal figure) I definitely wouldn't do it. A new generation of SoCs is just around the corner. Just as well, the GPU is much more powerful on the S3, but app support and UI/general performance isn't too much better now that we have 4.2 AOSP. And while an official JB is probably a couple months out, but it will bring most Note2 features home for us.

That's the current sitrep for both devices.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA Premium HD app

Theoriginalgiga

Nov 22, 2010
Sacramento
Hey XDA I have a note and my mother is willing to trade me for her S3. Would you consider it an upgrade? I would miss the spen but I really think the big phone is not for me. It a hassle to Carry around especially with the extended battery. Could someone give me some advice on if its worth it. Thanks in advance.
-Matt

Personally I love my note and it's plenty fast with the stable roms out there. My gf has a S3 and it's a nice device and I can really see the appeal but it really depends on WHAT you plan on doing with it. I remote into computers and my home network. Work on servers all from my phone so moving to a smaller screen isn't what I'd do. It has the horsepower to show up plenty of phones and though it's a gen old with older hardware, I kept my 86 toyota camry longer than I've had this phone and THAT was a piece of crap.

But again it's all about needs and wants. If you feel that you need the faster phone and are willing to loose the screen size, I say go for it.

Agreed, with new phone announcements coming up soon it doesn't make sense to upgrade for any form of currency, but in a straight trade, it might be worth it.

At this point, trade for the S3, as the XDA Note community is shrinking...:(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

True, but I'd hazard to guess that's more due to the devs waiting for official JB to be released. But as my gf likes to remind me, I'm often wrong :D

crixley

May 25, 2012
If we're to believe Samsung Display, the display arm of Samsung, which is actually a desperate company, there might not be a Note 3 as we know it. They're replacing both the Note 2 display, as well as the S3 display with a 1920x1080 4.99 inch panel this year. This according to Anandtech. I suppose we could see a curved OLED touting Note, but then again, flexible OLED yield isn't supposed to be good enough for production runs til 2014.

Unless they're keeping the display a secret, this is what most would expect. This doesn't mean that they'll have some other type of offering or combination to allow SPen functionality on say....the S4, but I wouldn't personally design a new chassis around an S4 and call it a Note.

I'd definitely choose the S3 at this point. The Development support will last significantly longer than it will for this device. Isn't it the most popular Android device ever? That is to say, more users often means more ROMs, the pressure to update and develop for it will be higher.

Since were not talking about an upgrade, its a no brainer.

But if you had to use an upgrade, or pay more than say....50-100 bucks (personal figure) I definitely wouldn't do it. A new generation of SoCs is just around the corner. Just as well, the GPU is much more powerful on the S3, but app support and UI/general performance isn't too much better now that we have 4.2 AOSP. And while an official JB is probably a couple months out, but it will bring most Note2 features home for us.

That's the current sitrep for both devices.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA Premium HD app

I find the ui performance much smoother on the s3. ridiculously so actually.

the 4.2 roms do help the note but it still isn't in the same ballpark as the s3

netter.159

Feb 21, 2013
actually the note 2 non international is fast enough, after you apply the Lag-remover app, posted this month. The Note flies after!

tat2messiah

Nov 8, 2010
Ephrata
I have the S3 and it is a good device...however I desperatly miss the note and will be tradin my s3 for a not this week....the s3 is great but the display on the note and good size keybaord is worth keeping. In my opion

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

crixley

May 25, 2012
the fluidity of the s3 blows the note out of the water...

so so smooth.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ended up not doing trade. Jellybam will bring my phone back to life :p haha