[MOD] Improve your battery life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

fictionworld

Mar 4, 2011
Kalookan
I do have other things to do other than watch the thread all day...

These errors are stemming from the fact that your kernel probably has no default value for these kernel issues you are getting. So, you can either try a different kernel that DOES support the kernel mods you are getting errors for or just disregard the errors completely. In any case, this mod is not dependent on the kernel mods which you are receiving errors. That being said, whatever mods that will stick, will stick. The others that don't, shouldn't matter. The important thing is that you should be experiencing better battery life.

ok. thank you for noticing our heed. I want to hear straight from you sir, although we both are facing these errors, we can expect an improvement to battery life yes?

Hero

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 15, 2010
Hidden Hills
ok. thank you for noticing our heed. I want to hear straight from you sir, although we both are facing these errors, we can expect an improvement to battery life yes?

No worries. Yeah you can probably expect an improvement to battery life. The errors you received control the maximum size of the messages sent between processes (Higher number uses more memory) and the amount of shared memory the system can use at any given time.

Speaking practically, it would be best if you could get the benefits of as much of the mod as possible (eliminating the errors), but that's unfortunately not always the case. Though theoretically, the mod should work fine. If it doesn't, then some of the kernel parameters that were giving you errors before may need to stick for the mod to work correctly (hence why the mod "may" not be universal). If this is the case, contact your kernel dev or mod the values that do stick to fit your needs.

Reactions: fictionworld

simo6

Aug 12, 2009
arezzo
www.facebook.com
one noob question

do i need to manually launch sysctl -p everytime i reboot phone or just the first time?

p.s. tried it on a H7300 and got the same errors as above but will report if the battery life is improved

Hero

Oct 15, 2010
Hidden Hills
do i need to manually launch sysctl -p everytime i reboot phone or just the first time?

p.s. tried it on a H7300 and got the same errors as above but will report if the battery life is improved

If you have an init.d file that has sysctl -p in it then you don't need to manually enter the code each time you reboot the phone. Otherwise, yes you do.

Reactions: Soopafly Incredible

mustafa.aziz

May 26, 2009
Islamabad
Hi Puremotive

appreciate your responses. can you plz tell which phone and ROM are you using. I am using sensation xe and will try different kernels and see the response.

fictionworld

Mar 4, 2011
Kalookan
No worries. Yeah you can probably expect an improvement to battery life. The errors you received control the maximum size of the messages sent between processes (Higher number uses more memory) and the amount of shared memory the system can use at any given time.

Speaking practically, it would be best if you could get the benefits of as much of the mod as possible (eliminating the errors), but that's unfortunately not always the case. Though theoretically, the mod should work fine. If it doesn't, then some of the kernel parameters that were giving you errors before may need to stick for the mod to work correctly (hence why the mod "may" not be universal). If this is the case, contact your kernel dev or mod the values that do stick to fit your needs.

clearly stated. thank you.

WhammyDroid

Jun 23, 2010
Can the file in the system/etc folder be modified on the phone without having to reflash the entire ROM? I would like to use Root Explorer to make the necessary modifications.

Can this be done?

Aug 31, 2010
I would say it's working for me. I'm down to 16% right now, after 1d 9h 22m of moderate use. And I don't believe I was 100% charged to start.

I am running CM9 a5 with the incredikernal-ics-hwa-beta kernal. I started noticing significant gains once I re-installed Setcpu with a couple non-intrusive profiles.

Thanks much PureMotive! You made waiting on the razr maxx price to drop a whole lot more tolerable with this!

losta

May 4, 2011
i just tried the script...ran the command from the terminal and here is what i get, just would like to know if this script is running as it should or not? i read from page one but still not quite sure :D a simple yes or no should be fine for me though. thanks in advance:)

screenshot2012050420100.png

mustafa.aziz

May 26, 2009
Islamabad
For me the mod did nothing, I am still having bad battery time. May be bcz of the few errors I get the script is not working as it should.

Sent from my Sensation using XDA Premium App

graymonkey44

Nov 12, 2011
New York
I flashed the new ics leak on the Rezound and flashed the S4 team pkmn Rom, flashed the newest zip and I'm getting a lot better battery life.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using XDA

tgamble160

Jan 19, 2012
Tarentum
can anyone please tell me if this will work on htc amaze and samsung vibrant(my girls phone)

already on my amaze but can someone please tell me if it will work on my girls samsung galaxy s vibrant?

Last edited:

pmsrefugee

Jun 11, 2010
Battery dropping on aokp milestone 5 stock kernel. Going to try new kernel.

Sent from my Incredible using Tapatalk 2

Hero

Oct 15, 2010
Hidden Hills
i just tried the script...ran the command from the terminal and here is what i get, just would like to know if this script is running as it should or not? i read from page one but still not quite sure :D a simple yes or no should be fine for me though. thanks in advance:)

screenshot2012050420100.png

It's not working. Your output in terminal doesn't match that of the OP. Something you can try is either deleting all of the net tweaks and then rerunning sysctl -p OR deleting the sysctl.conf file from your device and only use init.d. This applies to everyone who is still having issues. Create a new file in init.d and copy/paste the following code (I changed it around a bit)

Code:
#!/system/bin/sh
sync
sysctl -w fs.nr_open=1053696
sysctl -w fs.inotify.max_queued_events=32000
sysctl -w fs.inotify.max_user_instances=256
sysctl -w fs.inotify.max_user_watches=10240
sysctl -w fs.lease-break-time=10
sysctl -w fs.file-max=165164
sysctl -w kernel.threads-max=525810
sysctl -w kernel.random.write_wakeup_threshold=256
sysctl -w kernel.random.read_wakeup_threshold=128
sysctl -w kernel.sched_compat_yield=1
sysctl -w kernel.panic=0
sysctl -w kernel.panic_on_oops=1
sysctl -w kernel.msgmni=2048
sysctl -w kernel.msgmax=64000
sysctl -w kernel.shmmni=4096
sysctl -w kernel.shmall=2097152
sysctl -w kernel.shmmax=268435456
sysctl -w kernel.sem=500 512000 64 2048
sysctl -w kernel.sched_features=24189
sysctl -w kernel.hung_task_timeout_secs=30
sysctl -w kernel.sched_latency_ns=18000000
sysctl -w kernel.sched_min_granularity_ns=1500000
sysctl -w kernel.sched_wakeup_granularity_ns=3000000
sysctl -w kernel.sched_shares_ratelimit=256000
sysctl -w kernel.sched_child_runs_first=0
sysctl -w fs.lease-break-time=10
sysctl -w fs.file-max=65536
sysctl -w vm.dirty_ratio=90
sysctl -w vm.dirty_background_ratio=80
sysctl -w vm.oom_kill_allocating_task=1
sysctl -w vm.overcommit_memory=1
sysctl -w vm.page-cluster=3
sysctl -w vm.drop_caches=3
sysctl -w vm.min_free_kbytes=4096
sysctl -w vm.panic_on_oom=0
sysctl -w vm.dirty_expire_centisecs=1000
sysctl -w vm.dirty_writeback_centisecs=2000
sysctl -w vm.oom_kill_allocating_task=0
sysctl -w vm.vfs_cache_pressure=10
sysctl -w vm.min_free_order_shift=4
sysctl -w vm.laptop_mode=0
sysctl -w vm.block_dump=0

Last edited:
Reactions: sffmandrake

starkilling

Oct 14, 2011
Hey guys, I ran sysctl -p, here's my output:

kN2JQ.png

Desire HD on IceColdSandwich 7.4

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    25152816.png
    Before we get to the mod, I want to get a little personal. I make these mods so that your Android experience will be enhanced. If you find something wrong with the mod then provide constructive criticism. Don't just sit there behind your computer and degrade the effects based on what you see in the code, especially if you are even unwilling to try the mod in the first place. That irritates the hell out of me and unfortunately, I can't help you with your issues...so do yourself and others a favor and either use the mod and provide constructive criticism such as results (positive or negative) or ways to improve it or don't use it at all. That being said, these tweaks work in conjunction with each other, they are not each meant to increase your battery life.​

This is my mod for achieving good-great battery life. This is the mod I use in Anthem™ which has given me 50+ hours on a single charge. The increase in battery life may not be "tenfold" for you, but it does increase, which is still better than not increasing. Contact me before including it in your own ROM (that you plan on publicly releasing). I will allow you to use it, just ask first. Please give credit or thanks or both ;)

First: Here is a flashable .zip of the mod that may or may not work with your ROM. I'd still advise doing it manually.

Sysctl.conf - Updated May 3, 2012​
    Requirements:
    • HTC Incredible (preferably)
    • Kernel with zram swap (for swappiness)
    • Kernel with init.d support

Currently working on:

• HTC Incredible - Anthem, Clutch, AOKP, ICSenseless
    • HTC Amaze 4G

Step 1

Open up your ROM.zip (or whatever it's called) in 7zip (Windows) or Betterzip (OSX) and locate

sysctl.conf in /system/etc

If it's not in this directory, create it.

Step 2

In your sysctl.conf file, paste the following code and save it.

Code:
    #sysctl.conf file
    fs.nr_open=1053696;
    fs.inotify.max_queued_events=32000;
    fs.inotify.max_user_instances=256;
    fs.inotify.max_user_watches=10240;
    fs.lease-break-time=10;
    fs.file-max=165164;
    kernel.threads-max=525810;
    kernel.random.write_wakeup_threshold=256;
    kernel.random.read_wakeup_threshold=128;
    kernel.sched_compat_yield=1;
    kernel.panic=5;
    kernel.panic_on_oops=1;
    kernel.msgmni=2048;
    kernel.msgmax=64000;
    kernel.shmmni=4096;
    kernel.shmall=2097152;
    kernel.shmmax=268435456;
    kernel.sem=500 512000 64 2048;
    kernel.sched_features=24189;
    kernel.hung_task_timeout_secs=30;
    kernel.sched_latency_ns=18000000;
    kernel.sched_min_granularity_ns=1500000;
    kernel.sched_wakeup_granularity_ns=3000000;
    kernel.sched_shares_ratelimit=256000;
    kernel.sched_child_runs_first=0;
    fs.lease-break-time=10;
    fs.file-max=65536;
    vm.dirty_ratio=90;
    vm.dirty_background_ratio=80;
    vm.oom_kill_allocating_task=1;
    vm.overcommit_memory=1;
    vm.page-cluster=3;
    vm.drop_caches=3;
    vm.min_free_kbytes=4096;
    vm.panic_on_oom=0;
    vm.dirty_expire_centisecs=1000;
    vm.dirty_writeback_centisecs=2000;
    vm.oom_kill_allocating_task=0;
    vm.vfs_cache_pressure=10;
    vm.min_free_order_shift=4;
    vm.laptop_mode=0;
    vm.block_dump=0;

If the above code does not work for you, try this one. It has the semi-colons removed. Thanks Tiny

Code:
    #sysctl.conf file
    fs.nr_open=1053696
    fs.inotify.max_queued_events=32000
    fs.inotify.max_user_instances=256
    fs.inotify.max_user_watches=10240
    fs.lease-break-time=10
    fs.file-max=165164
    kernel.threads-max=525810
    kernel.random.write_wakeup_threshold=256
    kernel.random.read_wakeup_threshold=128
    kernel.sched_compat_yield=1
    kernel.panic=5
    kernel.panic_on_oops=1
    kernel.msgmni=2048
    kernel.msgmax=64000
    kernel.shmmni=4096
    kernel.shmall=2097152
    kernel.shmmax=268435456
    kernel.sem=500 512000 64 2048
    kernel.sched_features=24189
    kernel.hung_task_timeout_secs=30
    kernel.sched_latency_ns=18000000
    kernel.sched_min_granularity_ns=1500000
    kernel.sched_wakeup_granularity_ns=3000000
    kernel.sched_shares_ratelimit=256000
    kernel.sched_child_runs_first=0
    fs.lease-break-time=10
    fs.file-max=65536
    vm.dirty_ratio=90
    vm.dirty_background_ratio=80
    vm.oom_kill_allocating_task=1
    vm.overcommit_memory=1
    vm.page-cluster=3
    vm.drop_caches=3
    vm.min_free_kbytes=4096
    vm.panic_on_oom=0
    vm.dirty_expire_centisecs=1000
    vm.dirty_writeback_centisecs=2000
    vm.oom_kill_allocating_task=0
    vm.vfs_cache_pressure=10
    vm.min_free_order_shift=4
    vm.laptop_mode=0
    vm.block_dump=0

Step 3

Now we need to enable it. So, navigate to /system/etc/init.d and create a file with the following code:

Code:
    #!/system/bin/sh
    # grep sysctl /etc/init.d/*
    # Load /sys/etc/sysctl.conf
    sysctl -p

sysctl -p is what initializes the code.

Just FYI: You don't actually need these lines:

Code:
    # grep sysctl /etc/init.d/*
    Code:
    # Load /sys/etc/sysctl.conf

So this would have just sufficed.

Code:
    #!/system/bin/sh
    sysctl -p

If the above code does not work for any reason, try this:

Code:
    #!/system/bin/sh
    sysctl -p /system/etc/

Name your file something like this 10sysctl

Save your file.

NOTE: Your ROM must support init.d. You can do this by using dsixda's android kitchen

Step 4

Save your ROM and install it via recovery

OR

you could just push the files into your current ROM and try them out.

forknowledge.png

Credits to imoseyon for portions of the info

Ok, so what exactly is sysctl.conf?

The sysctl.conf is a configuration file for "sysctl" which is an interface for dynamically changing kernel parameters in the Linux OS. The configuration file contains the following elements, vm.min_free_kbytes, vm.dirty_ratio, vm.dirty_backgroud_ratio, vm.vfs_cache_pressure, vm.oom_kill_allocating_task. There are many other elements within the file, but we will be primarily focusing on these specifically (the vm prefix stands for virtual memory). The sysctl.conf file should be located in /etc (/system/etc) by default. To enable it you need your ROM to execute "sysctl -p" somewhere during the boot process (or shortly afterward). We will also be discussing how to enable it if it is not already done so. You can also run sysctl -p manually to enable it any time after the OS is started.

Now, let’s get down to what sysctl.conf does and how it works.

min free kbytes (vm.min_free_kbytes)
    This is used to force the Linux VM to keep a minimum number of kilobytes free. The VM uses this number to compute a pages_min value for each lowmem zone in the system. Each lowmem zone gets a number of reserved free pages based proportionally on its size. Default is 2048kb.

dirty ratio (vm.dirty_ratio) and dirty background ratio (vm.dirty_background_ratio)
    This controls how often the kernel writes data to "disk" (in our case the internal microSD system card, not the removable microSD card). When your apps write data to disk, Linux actually doesn't write the data out to the disk right away, it actually writes the stuff to system memory and the kernel handles when and how the data is actually going to be flushed to the disk. These values represent a percentage, the higher the percentage, the longer it waits to flush, the lower the percentage, the more often flushes will occur. Now remember, we are dealing with solid state storage, not the traditional disk platter and spindle. So we are actually able to delay flushes a little longer with solid state versus a traditional hard drive disk.

VFS Cache Pressure (vm.vfs_cache_pressure)
    Now here is where it gets interesting! File system cache (dentry/inode) is really more important than the block cache above in dirty ratio and dirty background ratio, so we really want the kernel to use up much more of the RAM for file system cache, this will increas the performance of the system without sacrificing performance at the application level. The default value is 100, as a percentage, and what you want to do is lower the value to tell the kernel to favor the file system cache and not drop them aggressively.

oom allocating task (vm.oom_kill_allocating_task)(enable or disable, generally in Linux this value is either a "1" or a "0," representing as on or off.)
    This enables or disables killing the OOM-triggering task in out-of-memory (oom) situations. If this is set to zero, or disabled, the OOM killer will scan through the entire task list and select a task based on heuristics to kill. This normally selects a rogue memory-hogging task that frees up a large amount of memory when killed. If this is set to non-zero, or enabled, the OOM killer simply kills the task that triggered the out-of-memory condition. This avoids the expensive task list scan, which can take mass amounts of time and "hang" or freeze the system.

block_dump (vm.block_dump)
    This enables block I/O debugging when set to a nonzero value. If you want to find out which process caused the disk to spin up (see /proc/sys/vm/laptop_mode), you can gather information by setting the flag.

When this flag is set, Linux reports all disk read and write operations that take place, and all block dirtyings done to files. This makes it possible to debug why a disk needs to spin up, and to increase battery life even more. The output of block_dump is written to the kernel output, and it can be retrieved using "dmesg". When you use block_dump and your kernel logging level also includes kernel debugging messages, you probably want to turn off klogd, otherwise the output of block_dump will be logged, causing disk activity that is not normally there.

overcommit_memory (vm.overcommit_memory)
    This controls overcommit of system memory, possibly allowing processes to allocate (but not use) more memory than is actually available.

0 - Heuristic overcommit handling. Obvious overcommits of address space are refused. Used for a typical system. It ensures a seriously wild allocation fails while allowing overcommit to reduce swap usage. root is allowed to allocate slighly more memory in this mode. This is the default.
    1 - Always overcommit. Appropriate for some scientific applications.
    2 - Don't overcommit. The total address space commit for the system is not permitted to exceed swap plus a configurable percentage (default is 50) of physical RAM. Depending on the percentage you use, in most situations this means a process will not be killed while attempting to use already-allocated memory but will receive errors on memory allocation as appropriate.

page-cluster (vm.page-cluster)
    This controls the number of pages which are written to swap in a single attempt. The swap I/O size.

It is a logarithmic value - setting it to zero means "1 page", setting it to 1 means "2 pages", setting it to 2 means "4 pages", etc.

The default value is three (eight pages at a time). There may be some small benefits in tuning this to a different value if your workload is swap-intensive.

panic_on_oom (vm.panic_on_oom)
    This enables or disables panic on out-of-memory feature. If this is set to 1, the kernel panics when out-of-memory happens. If this is set to 0, the kernel will kill some rogue process, by calling oom_kill().

Usually, oom_killer can kill rogue processes and system will survive. If you want to panic the system rather than killing rogue processes, set this to 1.

The default value is 0.

Panic is a system error that is detected by the kernel.

dirty_expire_centisecs (vm.dirty_expire_centisecs)
    How old "dirty" data should be before the kernel considers it old enough to be written to disk. It is expressed in 100ths of a second.

dirty_writeback_centisecs (vm.dirty_writeback_centisecs)
    This is the interval of when the writeback daemons periodically wake up and write "old" data out to disk. It is expressed in 100ths of a second.
    Oh dear. The above is from your first post.

And here are the facts:

A kernel panic occurs when something goes horribly wrong within the kernel, which OOM doesn't necessarily cause unless vm.panic_on_oom is set to 1. A kernel panic can be caused by various things.

The kernel.panic tunable sets a timeout for an automatic reboot after a panic. It does *not* stop the kernel from panicking! If the kernel is going to panic, it *will* panic, there is nothing you can do to stop it as it is a last resort when there is an unrecoverable error.

So, with your tweak, if the kernel panics due to a hardware problem or a bug, the device will not reboot automatically and would simply be stuck there, frozen solid until the user pulls the battery. How unbelievably useless that is for a mobile telephone! How on *earth* could that be a performance improvement?

Also, seeing as you mention OOM, it happens that OOM is highly unlikely to be invoked on Android as Android has it's own low memory killer driver which kicks in to manage memory usage long before the OOM killer does. I have never seen OOM invoked on Android. OOM is like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut, which is why the Android team wrote their own, more finely grained implementation.

Seriously though, a bit of advice, learn about the tweaks you are doing, the advantages and drawbacks and if it is actually any use at all preferably *before* making yourself 'popular' by releasing it on XDA with a bold claim in the title, otherwise someone like me, *will* come along and debunk the myth that it does anything useful...

I've said my piece now and I won't reply again, because it's become old rather quickly and further replies on my part would be foolish and counter productive, as this one probably is, but what the hell.

The users can make the choice between taking the advice of someone who knows about kernels and maintains several, or someone who has put a bunch of tweaks together in a script and doesn't understand most of them.

Good evening.

Hey uh that's nice. But nobody really cares sorry. This tweak gets results for lots of folks...stop flaming the dev who still should get a lot of credit....wow...a$$h***

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
    i created a flashable zip of everything except the net.* tweaks as that was causing problems for me.

download is here: http://www.mediafire.com/?j3gdgdcawj9imcq

havent tested it yet and its not guaranteed to install on every phone as there are different mount points for /system
    It can't.

There is nothing in there which would increase battery life. You are about as likely to increase battery life by stroking your phone and making a wish. :rolleyes:

XDA still doesn't disappoint me with it's random placebo posts. :D

Why don't you try it first before posting?

This line in particular "vm.vfs_cache_pressure=10" is important because we want the kernel to favor retaining the file system cache as opposed to trying to reclaim it. In essence, a low vfs_cache_pressure slows things down, saving battery life. This works in conjunction with your ROM's swappiness level (which should be 1,0, or close to 0) so that the Linux kernel no longer attempts to enlarge the cache by paging applications out (keeping the system fast).

Sent from my Incredible using Tapatalk
    I used the zip posted on page 12 by kevdliu. I am running an Evervolv ICS 4.0.4 with tiamat kernel and here is what I have found after the third day of use.

Normally after 18 hours of light use I would be down around 20% and be ready for a charge. I just picked up my phone now to check the battery and at 20 hours still at 62% after the same amount of use. So standby time definitely uses less juice in my experience.

Watching videos and heavy screen usages for example games, still blows though battery but is noticeably better. Probably wouldn't make it all day for heavy users.

Every night I walk for about two hours and stream music over slacker radio to a bluetooth headset. (no use of the display mind you) Normally this takes almost 50% of my battery. last night 8%.... holy crap yes only 8%

Thanks for everyone who put effort into this!

I updated the OP with a new .zip that might have the same effects as the one posted on page 12. Dunno for sure, but if anyone wants to try it out, let me know how it works :)