[JB:CM10:HYBRID] ParanoidAndroid 2.5.3 for Bravo & Defy 2nd Kernel

Search This thread

skeevydude

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs
@skeevy420

Did you still have the rules in vendor and common device trees?? Maybe that's what is causing the battery problems...

It is the problem exactly. I checked, but I had the file sizes backwards in my head. It'll be resolved in the next release. Two quick questions --

Code:
Can expressions like *mb526 be used in the makefiles?  Like in "adb push PA*.zip".

ifeq ($(TARGET_PRODUCT),*mb520)

instead of

ifeq ($(TARGET_PRODUCT),cm_mb520)

Code:
Can more than one else be used and can ($(TARGET_PRODUCT),cm_mb520) be added to the else lines?

# Specific binaries
    PRODUCT_COPY_FILES += $(vendor_path)/bin/opprofdaemon_mb525:system/bin/opprofdaemon
    PRODUCT_COPY_FILES += $(vendor_path)/bin/battd_mb525:system/bin/battd
else ($(TARGET_PRODUCT),cm_mb525)
    PRODUCT_COPY_FILES += $(vendor_path)/bin/opprofdaemon_mb525:system/bin/opprofdaemon
else ($(TARGET_PRODUCT),cm_mb526)
    PRODUCT_COPY_FILES += $(vendor_path)/bin/opprofdaemon_mb526:system/bin/opprofdaemon
    PRODUCT_COPY_FILES += $(vendor_path)/bin/battd_mb526:system/bin/battd
endif

EDIT: Also posted this in the group.

Last edited:

Kayant

Jul 14, 2011
It is the problem exactly. I checked, but I had the file sizes backwards in my head. It'll be resolved in the next release. Two quick questions --

Code:
Can expressions like *mb526 be used in the makefiles?  Like in "adb push PA*.zip".

instead of

Code:
Can more than one else be used and can ($(TARGET_PRODUCT),cm_mb520) be added to the else lines?

Not too sure about this one you need to ask quarx about that :)

Code:
# Specific binaries
    PRODUCT_COPY_FILES += $(vendor_path)/bin/opprofdaemon_mb526:system/bin/opprofdaemon
endif

I think it should be ok since all the rule does is check what product is being made and tells it to copy the right vendor files for the device as it's the common tree and some stuff are specific to each device...... or I may be totally wrong :p

Last edited:
Reactions: skeevydude

Snikeer

Jan 11, 2012
I'm having 2 annoying bugs:

On Stock UI (haven't tried others, I'd rather sticking with this one), sometimes upon reboot my status bar will disappear and the wallpaper will change to solid black on it's own. The wallpaper can be set manually to what it was previously, however the status bar won't come back. Changing from/to Expanded Desktop does nothing. Since I'm using Apex Launcher, also tried to use the Toggle Status Bar option from it, no success as well.

The previous bug is mild imo, the worst one is the following:

Sometimes upon entering on recovery it'll get changed back to stock recovery on it's own. I'm not sure how this happens, might be upon pressing Vol- on reboot. Seems like restarting with the Recovery option when PA is already alive and kicking works erverytime (again, can't confirm. Everytime it got changed to stock I had to reflash sbf, and install everything from scratch, since I couldn't just flash PA again. Therefore, I didn't try to reproduce it, being such a hassle to recover. However it happened 3 times by accident).

sebx_g1

Nov 6, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
Well it is very nice rom, after fixing problems with bootloop and screwed battery on my own it is most interesting rom for Defy. Can't wait for next builds :thumbup:
I have suggestion for developers why not to save rom settings backup on sdcard to save them for later use eg. after sbf flash?

Last edited:

J_M_V_S

Mar 11, 2012
Buenos Aires
www.hsws.com.ar
First of all, thank you skeevy420 for picking up the work from brajesh.sharma87.

I've tested the last release from brajesh.sharma87 and the last release from you and the phone feels really laggy now whereas brajesh.sharma87 version was pretty fast! Do you know what could be causing this? I'm on a MB525 Red Lens defy using your Defy ROM version. Maybe I should try the Defy+ version? Any ideas anyone?

skeevydude

Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs
First of all, thank you skeevy420 for picking up the work from brajesh.sharma87.

I've tested the last release from brajesh.sharma87 and the last release from you and the phone feels really laggy now whereas brajesh.sharma87 version was pretty fast! Do you know what could be causing this? I'm on a MB525 Red Lens defy using your Defy ROM version. Maybe I should try the Defy+ version? Any ideas anyone?

The first release was to test my build scripts and identify problems. Now that I know them I'll be able to adjust as necessary. I'd already have new ones out but I've just been busy these past three days. With my Dad on extremely light duty and no helper on my job right now I'm just either busy or tired -- the 105 temps don't help much either.

If all goes well I'll be able to get all the merges done and some compiles starting tonight. I'd like a new build as well, I don't particularly care for this release compared to my last 2 (on the Bravo).

I haven't had that stock recovery bug.

The biggest reason why you can't save the rom settings on flashes is if new features are added (options in settings menu for example) your sqlite table will be different and values might not correspond to the new ones. PA has an option to back up its settings and Google syncs back most of my settings on a new flash.

While a pita if you don't know what your looking for, you could checkout some of the boot scripts in WIUI and Pikachu. One of them writes values to the sqlite database -- you could make a similar script with your preferred settings.

Last edited:

Snikeer

Jan 11, 2012
Just giving some feedback on my previous bug, regarding the stock recovery, just now I've had another one of those.

Everything was fine, and I simply rebooted my phone, nothing special here. However it got stuck on PA animation, on a loop. I tried to get in recovery, so pulled off the battery, annd turned it on while pressing Vol- and there it was. The good old triangle with an "!" in it, signaling stock recovery. Now, once again, I'm stuck on the loop. Data factory does no good, so the only solution is reflashing a full SBF, and then later applying the ROM.

I own a red lens defy, using the Defy+ build, with gb kernel.

AnkurBedi

Feb 1, 2012
New Delhi

Code:

instead of

Code:

# Specific binaries
endif

1)

ifeq ($(patsubst cm_%,%,TARGET_PRODUCT),mb520)

OR

ifeq ($(TARGET_PRODUCT:cm_%,%),mb520)

2) YES

:good:

skeevydude

Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs
Starting Bravo PA 2.10 compile. If all goes well expect new Defy\Defy+ roms either really late tonight or sometime tomorrow. It takes around 4-5 hours per rom to compile and since I have to build for my phone first ya'll gotta wait :)

Next release will have the battery issues fixed, no patches, and a few addons -- gonna replace smartass with V2 since it works better, gonna use the DX GOV pack SIO init script since the overclock.sh method doesn't always work as expected,

I'll be glad once today is over -- it should be the last of the 100 degree plus temperatures (with 87% humidity -- that's what makes it so bad). After today we have highs in the mid to upper 80's. Hooray. :laugh:

deffyplus

Feb 9, 2012
Beograd
www.500px.com
hi all,

just to ask some noob questions

what's about average battery life of ur defy with PA?

what kernel is best to use with PA?

how about 4.5.2-109_DTH-22-kernel by walter79

i have strange bug...but I'm not sure that is bug:

when in call switch on speaker, my mic switch to camera mic on back? and my caller hears me very poorly

MB526

Last edited:

skeevydude

Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs
hi all,

just to ask some noob questions

what's about average battery life of ur defy with PA?

what kernel is best to use with PA?

how about 4.5.2-109_DTH-22-kernel by walter79

i have strange bug...but I'm not sure that is bug:

when in call switch on speaker, my mic switch to camera mic on back? and my caller hears me very poorly

MB526

I don't have that problem on my Bravo and all I use is speakerphone -- I have to since a Verizon music dial tone blew my earspeaker :(

I'm not sure the about recommended kernel for PA Defy Plus, but it should be the same one that's recommended for CM10, which ever one that is :p

For an update -- I'm on the last part of the compile process for the Bravo's PA 2.10. I ended up canceling the earlier compile, adding in Quarx's latest pushes to github today, and started over. It should finish in an hour or two.

deffyplus

Feb 9, 2012
Beograd
www.500px.com
I don't have that problem on my Bravo and all I use is speakerphone -- I have to since a Verizon music dial tone blew my earspeaker :(

I'm not sure the about recommended kernel for PA Defy Plus, but it should be the same one that's recommended for CM10, which ever one that is :p

For an update -- I'm on the last part of the compile process for the Bravo's PA 2.10. I ended up canceling the earlier compile, adding in Quarx's latest pushes to github today, and started over. It should finish in an hour or two.

Thanks for quick answer, :good:
i have one more question...i have seen on xda and i have the same problem when i start recording,after apx 10 sec the sound stops on recorded material...during recording there is no indications that something is wrong..is that also the bug in this ROM? :confused:

skeevydude

Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs
Thanks for quick answer, :good:
i have one more question...i have seen on xda and i have the same problem when i start recording,after apx 10 sec the sound stops on recorded material...during recording there is no indications that something is wrong..is that also the bug in this ROM? :confused:

Haven't used the camcorder with CM10 for more than 5 seconds -- just long enough to see if it'll work... I'm using Nadlabak's camera app (same as in Quarx's CM10 builds now) so hopefully that'll fix the bug. I'm on the very, very last stage of the compile -- optimizing the apk's right before it make the rom. I'll be able to flash the rom in about 15 minutes and I'll test it then....although I'll be testing on a Bravo which has different camera libraries than the Defy (ours is a 3m soc green lens with no flash).

Oddly enough I'm currently running the latest CM7 Defy Nightly from CyanogenMod.com -- a Bravo user was using it and said it had very good speed but he couldn't get the camera running. I flashed it a few hours ago and had camera in about 15 minutes -- it helps having all the different revisions of the camera drivers when porting. :silly: What's funny is I used camera libraries from around January, the newest ones didn't work....I really need to update my CM7 repos and release a new Kang.

I'd also like to get back to MS2. Its never fully worked on the Bravo -- it doesn't jive with our camera libraries. Stock Froyo drivers cause it to freeze on boot and the CM7\9\10 drivers just don't work. I suspect I need to decompile framework.jar and replace its camera code from the Bravo's stock framework.jar. I'd also like to remove MS2's phone home command for tethering -- that'll benefit Defy and Bravo users in America (especially AT&T customers like me)

WoopWoop compile finished while I was typing this....later.

Reactions: niksy+

skeevydude

Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs
Finally installed and working great so far. Haven't tested battery life since its been on the charger since flashed. Camcorder recorded and had sound for 18 seconds. The first boot was choppy and laggy during the Google Sync and app install. Smooth on the second boot. SmartassV2 replaced smartass; sio fixed in the bootmenu and tweaked like in the DX pack; the updated PAPreferences has some nice new options -- set default dpi for all apps depending on work space to name one. All the battery issues are resolved now so it won't be an issue for the next release.

Gonna start on the Defy and Defy Plus builds. They'll be done in the morning, but I won't be able to upload until I get off work tomorrow (Bravo users aren't getting until then either so don't feel left out).

nziria

Finally installed and working great so far. Haven't tested battery life since its been on the charger since flashed. Camcorder recorded and had sound for 18 seconds. The first boot was choppy and laggy during the Google Sync and app install. Smooth on the second boot. SmartassV2 replaced smartass; sio fixed in the bootmenu and tweaked like in the DX pack; the updated PAPreferences has some nice new options -- set default dpi for all apps depending on work space to name one. All the battery issues are resolved now so it won't be an issue for the next release.

Gonna start on the Defy and Defy Plus builds. They'll be done in the morning, but I won't be able to upload until I get off work tomorrow (Bravo users aren't getting until then either so don't feel left out).

when it's ready we retrieve it on goo.im?

just install over old PA? wiping only cache and dalvik?

x-Moi-x

Oct 9, 2011
Every time I restart the phone it enters me to the bootloader first.
Can I change it?

skeevydude

Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs
when it's ready we retrieve it on goo.im?

just install over old PA? wiping only cache and dalvik?

Yes to goo.im, you shoud be notified that a new version is ready.

You don't even have to wipe the cache\dalvik, just reboot and flash :) -- I added that in to the installer to save on volume\power button presses.

Every time I restart the phone it enters me to the bootloader first.
Can I change it?

That only happens to me when I change PAPreferences -- I figured it was to remind you to wipe cache\dalik afterwards.

Well, Defy is done, just started Plus. I had a mile long command in terminal to wipe, compile, copy defy, wipe, compile plus; but I left out an "i" in the Plus compile command -- it was on the edge of the screen and spilled over to the next line so it looked like i had put in ./rom-build.sh.

I gotta go to work, I'll upload them when I get home if no one is playing games here (with the capped upload speed I can't upload when PSN is active)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    paranoidxqkmy.png

OP-1-Defy.png

OP-3-Defy.png

OP-4-Defy.png

OP-2-Defy.png

paranoid_notab.png

This is an ongoing developer project to make way for a modification that will entirely transform your device, but retain the aesthetics and the experience of your phone.
    For more information about PARANOIDANDROID please check this website
    paranoid_instructions.png

paranoid_hints.png

Our webpage: http://www.paranoid-rom.com/

paranoid_trouble.png

This rom is based of the latest ParanoidAndroid sources and Latest Quarx CM10 sources, both as of 09-19-2012 around Noon CST. Any problems or ParanoidAndroid or Quarx's CM10 will be present in this rom. That said, most things are workings as expected, if you have problems can always report it here in the thread, I will be happy to help. This rom is fully built from source and always will be -- NO PORTING ALLOWED :p

paranoid_credits.png

A Special Thanks to Quarx, Kayant, Tezet, Nadlabak, and Epsylon3.
    Thanks to these guys for general help : cdesai, m11kkaa, gokussjx, scott.hart.bti, brajesh.sharma87
    D4rKn3sSyS, molesarecoming and other PA members.
    ldiomedi for the images
    Tips and Tricks
    • Go to Settings\Performance and enable 16bit transparency
    • FROYO KERNEL - Change the Overclock values to 300@20\700@42\1000@54 for better battery life and vsel2 usage.
      [*}All Kernels - Select "Use Default Values" in oc config to use my values for all governors
    • Restart the system once you're done changing values (dpi, layout, etc) in Paranoid Preferences to prevent glitches.

System App "Bugs" -- Valid for any CM10 Rom and CM9 for Apollo
    • If the AOSP keyboard keeps taking preference and you don't want it to, delete LatinIME.apk & LatinImeDictionaryPack.apk or rename to *.apk.bak
    • If Apollo intercepts your long press volume track change or the lockscreen music widget doesn't work correctly, delete or rename Apollo.apk
    • This rom includes (and always will) a 30 step volume mod, if it messes with your player then uncheck "Direct Volume Control" or the appropriate setting in your music app. I'm an audiophile and prefer the 30 step mod over the default 15.

Updating the Rom
    • For Dirty Upgraders (non-Factory Reset install) all you have to do is flash the rom -- no dalvik or cache wipe is required -- they're built in.
    • This rom includes GooManager and it will let you know if a new version of ParanoidAndroid available.
    • The roms in Rom Manager are from Quarx's server. I'll be removing this in later versions of PA.
    • I recommend a full factory reset when installing new versions; but I do that with every rom I flash.:p
    • Use GooManager to update this rom -- It'll automatically reboot into recovery, wipe what you selected it to, flash the rom, and flash gapps. The only thing you have to do when updating is say yes to wipe dalvik cache and reboot. :)

Bugs
    • Settings>Storage has the SDCard listed as Internal Memory
    • Settings>Dev Options>Force GPU Rendering -- can cause the Status Bar to not appear
    • Settings>Display>Enable On-Screen Buttons -- does nothing, use Settings>System>Navigation Bar instead
    • Settings>Display>Change Height -- doesn't work with Navigation Bar (see the above bug)
    I just finished compiling PA based on CM10. :D

What sucks is both my phones have less than 40% battery so I gotta wait to see if it works. At least it compiles from start to finish :p

I'll post an update in an hour or two once the Defy is charged up and I flash it.

Figured ya'll would like to know.
    Figured I'd post something because its been a while since I've been online.

Over the past month my Dad's had surgery (appendix and part of colon removed) and I also got a job. Between helping family and work I haven't had much time to play with android.

I also found a pc in a garbage can a work (quad core intel, 3 gigs ram, 640gb hd -- better than my old dual core athlon64, 2 gigs ram, 500gb hd) and I've been getting it set up as my new build box. I'm almost done with that (still need to sync with git) and I need to set up my old pc as a file server and I'll be back in business. Updating PA is the 2nd thing on my list after I port over a new CM7 for the Bravo (the port usually only takes two hours including uploading the rom). I'm also going to look into using the custom kernel with PA.

I've been out of the loop for the past month so hotlinks to relevant custom kernel info will be greatly appreciated.

If it makes anyone feel any better, I'm still running the last PA I uploaded. Yes, I've been that busy.
    Here's where I'm at now.

An updated Paranoid is about 30-50% done -- a test build I'm probably not going to release is almost done compiling (20-40 mins or so) -- still needs quite a few cherry picks and whatnot to be fully complete and up-to-date with Quarx's CM10 base. Its almost pure PA, for the most part, so things like Proximity Sensor always on fix, backlight fix, etc aren't added yet; just some usb fixes and fm (hopefully). It'll also be a Defy+ rom with patches for Defy and Bravo -- Defy patch is only for build.prop, Bravo patch is build.prop and our imager binary -- I may just patch the imager binary for Bravo and leave branding as Defy+ since the app selection is better and do no Defy patch... Its also gonna be a custom kernel rom; so far no changes have been done, but I'm gonna add in some of Blechd0se's commits like governors, bfq, etc. I'm glad I finally found the time to get back to this -- as much as I love CM10, PA is a much funner rom imho; especially if ya can't stop fidgeting and tweaking crap :p.

/Hopefully the FM fix I did mid post works :fingers-crossed: (I'm only doing a few picks at a time to minimize errors)
    //If the test build half ass works I'll upload it -- Defy+ only, no patches, removing apps manually due to space restraints will be required; eg, an alpha build for advanced users
    ///Posted most of this in the Bravo forums -- only posting here to keep our nice, polite, and quiet Bravo forums nice, polite, and quiet :cool:

Not related to PA, but with custom kernel CM10 I easily get 40 hours of battery and that's with wifi on at least half the time, 3g on when needed, gps always on, reading xda posts from the crapper in morning for 10-20 mins (wifi), 4-6 hours of music a day, 4-6 checks of the market a day for updates, 30 mins of calls per day, 1-3 mins of torch per day, autobright on, Zram on, Comcache on, Undervolted to 300@22, 600@37, 800@47, 1000@54. Defy Green Lens with the cheapest generic battery Newegg had to offer :) -- Rom is Quarx's 11\18 with old battd if anyone is curious.

I've seen posts talking about the bad battery life with CM10 and that has never once been the case for me.

/Dammit -- gotta pick in proximity sensor (my latest build error -- sucks cause its literally right before the apps compile. Something to do tomorrow after work -- its bed time now. At least the FM fix from a few mins ago worked.