ROOT for Razr HD

Search This thread

TruEastSydeBoi

Jan 10, 2011
Root is already available for the Motorola Razr HD & Maxx!

I grabbed this from the Razr M forums, it will work for a variety of new Motorola Devices.

Instructions:
  1. Download
  2. Unzip
  3. Install Motorola Drivers
  4. Enable USB Debugging on Phone
  5. Plug Into PC
  6. Run The Batch File "Run"
  7. Follow Along the CMD Prompt for Progress & Let it Finish
  8. Enjoy and Hope for some Developers to Pick Up This Phone to Rom

**UPDATE**JellyBean OTA In order to update to the latest OTA without losing root you need to:

• Be Rooted on ICS
  • Use VooDoo Rootkeeper to do the following
  1. Protect Root
  2. Temp Unroot
  3. Take the JB OTA
  4. Restore Root

Enjoy being both on the latest and rooted. Remember, do not just take the update without doing both those two things as there is no root exploit currently available for JB.

This is a one-click-method so all you have to do is the prerequisites and it will do the rest for you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
How to Unroot:
Thanks shabbypenguin for posting this.

You can manually unroot your Droid by using a root file manager program (such as root explorer) and mountsystem as R/W. Then delete the following:

/system/app/Superuser.apk
/system/bin/su
and if it has it
/system/xbin/su

Downloads:
Here's the link to the drivers: Motorola Drivers
Root File is attached to the Post, but here are some Mirrors:
Mirror 1
Mirror 2

Rooting your phone works whether you have the Developer version or not.

Hit thanks if this made you happy!

Screenie:
Screenie%20of%20Razr%20HD%20Root.png

*Disclaimer: This root exploit was created by Dan Rosenburg and not myself, so I take no credit in creating it . You are only hitting "Thanks" for me sharing this root method and simple guide on the appropriate forum.*

Last edited:

lucidvtec

Jul 28, 2010
No effin way!!!! Awesome!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using xda app-developers app

eighty1

Apr 8, 2009
Atlanta
That was fast. Still debating on if I want to take the chance of keeping this beauty. Decisions...
Edit: This works with the Maxx as well?

Last edited:
Reactions: goldcat

kaktuss77

Oct 31, 2010
Lagny-sur-Marne
Work good with orange France version (c
Rom customised by provider)

Thank you for tip and the creator.

Sent from my XT925 using xda app-developers app

pantoner

Oct 19, 2012
So, this is not working for me... I have a RAZR MAXX HD, and I have done a factory reset on it with no luck. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help! :fingers-crossed:

TruEastSydeBoi

Jan 10, 2011
So, this is not working for me... I have a RAZR MAXX HD, and I have done a factory reset on it with no luck. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help! :fingers-crossed:

Did you have USB debugging enabled in the phone Development settings? Also when you plug it in and get that connection notification on your phone, select USB Charge mode. It's best if you open the file after you do all that so it doesn't try to start in Mass Storage mode, before you switch to usb charge.

TruEastSydeBoi

Jan 10, 2011
Word of advice to all is that you need to follow the instructions closely and run the batch file AFTER you plug in your phone and switch it charge mode and verify that the USB Debugging icon shows up. This way the program does not start running if your phone automatically goes to Mass Storage mode.

eighty1

Apr 8, 2009
Atlanta
This didnt work for me either. I have a Maxx and understand they are the same internally, correct? Is there a way for me to convert this and use it on a Mac (last resort)? I have an old Dell my wife had in college that I use to root when there is no root for a Mac and I never know if its outdated software causes issues. This however is very simple so I have no clue why it didnt work. Downloaded drivers and they installed correctly and ran the bat file. When I plug my Mac into the pc it I have a choice of mass storage, mtp or ptp. I've tried mtp and ptp. The error I get adb is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. This mean it cant find adb?

Xelios029

Oct 19, 2012
Worked on my Maxx, thanks! Here's what I did. I couldn't find a charge only mode so I plugged it on usb mass storage. Had to run it about 5 times. What was happening on my phone was I'd minimize the window and assume that when I came back to it I could hit a key and reboot. Well my Maxx would reboot after 5 seconds of that message displaying by itself, somehow destroying the root process. Had to sit there and press the key almost immediately when the message came up. Hope that helps!

TruEastSydeBoi

Jan 10, 2011
Yes you don't have to put it in charge mode, that's just how its always been for Motorola's and my Rezound. The Raz HD doesn't require that just plug it in. that was only to be safe if there was the option for just to charge it for computer.

Reactions: NewYorkNinja

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Root is already available for the Motorola Razr HD & Maxx!

I grabbed this from the Razr M forums, it will work for a variety of new Motorola Devices.

Instructions:
    1. Download
    2. Unzip
    3. Install Motorola Drivers
    4. Enable USB Debugging on Phone
    5. Plug Into PC
    6. Run The Batch File "Run"
    7. Follow Along the CMD Prompt for Progress & Let it Finish
    8. Enjoy and Hope for some Developers to Pick Up This Phone to Rom

**UPDATE**JellyBean OTA In order to update to the latest OTA without losing root you need to:

• Be Rooted on ICS
    • Use VooDoo Rootkeeper to do the following
    1. Protect Root
    2. Temp Unroot
    3. Take the JB OTA
    4. Restore Root

Enjoy being both on the latest and rooted. Remember, do not just take the update without doing both those two things as there is no root exploit currently available for JB.

This is a one-click-method so all you have to do is the prerequisites and it will do the rest for you.

How to Unroot:
    Thanks shabbypenguin for posting this.

You can manually unroot your Droid by using a root file manager program (such as root explorer) and mountsystem as R/W. Then delete the following:

/system/app/Superuser.apk
    /system/bin/su
    and if it has it
    /system/xbin/su

Downloads:
    Here's the link to the drivers: Motorola Drivers
    Root File is attached to the Post, but here are some Mirrors:
    Mirror 1
    Mirror 2

Rooting your phone works whether you have the Developer version or not.

Hit thanks if this made you happy!

Screenie:
    Screenie%20of%20Razr%20HD%20Root.png

*Disclaimer: This root exploit was created by Dan Rosenburg and not myself, so I take no credit in creating it . You are only hitting "Thanks" for me sharing this root method and simple guide on the appropriate forum.*

OK - found it already. Now one can get current jellybean with SuperSU/Busybox by chainfire. Thanks to Orphee for pointing the directions here in this thread. This is how I went ahead after flashing Moto's Jellybean on top of unrooted Stock ICS.

- Assuming unlocked bootloader
    - Get epinters CWM-Recovery from here.
    - Get SuperSU+Busybox from here and put it on your SDCard.
    - Enter fastboot mode by POWERON+VOLDOWN
    - Flash epinters CWM using following command:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery cwmrecovery6015-xt925_20121104-epinter.img
    - PRESS VOLUP on the device and reboot Phone via
    Code:
    fastboot reboot
    - When the green droid is being shown press VOLUP+VOLDOWN -> this enters CWM Recovery
    - In CWM I had chosen Wipe/DataFactory and Wipe Dalvik <--- dunno if that is really needed, but since my RazrHD was vanilla-stock it couldn't do any harm.
    - In CWM I had chosen "Flash Zip from External SD" and selected that "Root_SuperSU.0.98-Busybox.1.20.2-signed.zip"
    - (optional) in CWM chose "disable stock recovery flash" when exiting CWM - this will disable recovery from reverting to stock-recovery.
    - Reboot... Enjoy... **

** Disclaimer This is how it worked for ME - if it bricks your phone, something explodes or even your phone gets sucked up in a blackhole I cannot be held responsible ;)
    ** CWM is by epinter and SuperSU/Zip is by chainfire!

rooted6719.jpg
    Word of advice to all is that you need to follow the instructions closely and run the batch file AFTER you plug in your phone and switch it charge mode and verify that the USB Debugging icon shows up. This way the program does not start running if your phone automatically goes to Mass Storage mode.
    doing a factory reset wipes apps and data, wiping internal means you wipe your internal sdcard which for most devices is the default location for camera pictures and videos.

ah okay haha i'll just shut up. I did include your instructions and credited in the OP! :cowboy:
    Hi,

Can we unroot the phone easily?

I would like to know this too before I root

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

factory restore will remove root.

Yes you can! Factory restoring will unroot the phone as it deletes Superuser and busybox. You're good to go.