KitKat for DX?

Search This thread

mikecico

Mar 16, 2010
Any chance we'll see a build of KitKat for Droid X? It's supposed to support lower-end phones, although I'm not sure if the DX even qualifies for that bottom rung given it's current age.

Reactions: m.ksy

markrulesallnow

Oct 15, 2012
I read an article today that said KitKat was optimized to be able to run on devices with as little as 512mb ram, so I assume at some point in the future it could definitely run on the Droid X

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
the real problem has always been proprietary hardware drivers

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 PM ----------

and the locked bootloader with a gingerbread kernel

Aaahh

Nov 4, 2013
I found a ported build of 4.0.4 , I'm going to try to port it to kitkat.

Sent from my DROIDX using xda app-developers app

Reactions: mm166

palmbeach05

Oct 12, 2012
Motorola Atrix HD
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S III
I found a ported build of 4.0.4 , I'm going to try to port it to kitkat.

Sent from my DROIDX using xda app-developers app

With all due respect, thats a big leap. This device hasn't even had JB. I just got back online today/tonight since KK's source code release, so i'm playing catch up now, but as far as i know, CM hasn't put out a KK code yet, just Google. I could be wrong with the way I'm looking at this, so if i am, i apologize.

Sent from my MB860 using xda app-developers app

Aaahh

Nov 4, 2013
You have a point, I thought they released cm kitkat already... it doesn't seem like a big leap because the 4.0.4 was using only a couple custom files, everything else was cm. Of course I really don't know the challenge because this is my first build.

Aaahh

Nov 4, 2013
I forgot about the locked boot loader... no chance unless Motorola s "unlock your device" works.

palmbeach05

Oct 12, 2012
Motorola Atrix HD
I forgot about the locked boot loader... no chance unless Motorola s "unlock your device" works.

We do have the bootstrap method of getting things to work. but it comes down to getting it built and booting up. I'm not at the CM10 attempt yet (working a CM9 build at the moment), but it is on my radar as far as trying to help out. i'm just taking it one step at a time with building from source.

Reactions: josuearisty

Aaahh

Nov 4, 2013
I'm on a very good cm9 from with little problems... only camcorder
Anyways is the hijack boot the method or something else?

Sent from my DROIDX

---------- Post added at 05:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 AM ----------

the real problem has always been proprietary hardware drivers

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 PM ----------

and the locked bootloader with a gingerbread kernel
What are the proprietary drives needed?

Sent from my DROIDX

Crossvxm

May 26, 2013
New York
I'm on a very good cm9 from with little problems... only camcorder
Anyways is the hijack boot the method or something else?

Sent from my DROIDX

---------- Post added at 05:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 AM ----------

What are the proprietary drives needed?

Sent from my DROIDX

Ive been looking for that ICS rom all day but links are outdated. Any idea where I may find it? I had this Droid X sitting in my closet after buying it bricked off a guy months ago and just last night I decided to resurrect it. (Couldn't when I first got it.)

I already have the modded bootstrap, root and even OC.

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Ive been looking for that ICS rom all day but links are outdated. Any idea where I may find it? I had this Droid X sitting in my closet after buying it bricked off a guy months ago and just last night I decided to resurrect it. (Couldn't when I first got it.)

I already have the modded bootstrap, root and even OC.

which system version is on phone? current roms are build for 4.5.621
which bootstrap? Droid2Bootstrap621MOD.apk?
several roms in my list
sd_shadow's [Collection] of Links for: Droid X

Reactions: Crossvxm

Crossvxm

May 26, 2013
New York
which system version is on phone? current roms are build for 4.5.621
which bootstrap? Droid2Bootstrap621MOD.apk?
several roms in my list
sd_shadow's [Collection] of Links for: Droid X

Hey your the one who helped me save my device early this morning :) thanks again!

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/d...ution-your-windows-rsd-lite-problems-265.html

Yeah i used your ezSBF so if im not mistaking its .621
And I have the Droid X Bootstrapper 621 MOD also from one of your links.
So that means i can get it?

thelangosta

We do have the bootstrap method of getting things to work. but it comes down to getting it built and booting up. I'm not at the CM10 attempt yet (working a CM9 build at the moment), but it is on my radar as far as trying to help out. i'm just taking it one step at a time with building from source.

Do you know of a good(noob friendly) build guide for the DX anywhere? I am in the process of getting a build environment set up and my old DX is basically a spare device at this point. Once I get Ubuntu 13.10 fully set up and know how to build I would like to give 4.4 a try. I am using CM11 on my SGSIII and loving it. The Moto Defy has a working build so some of that stuff might be useful over here.

Sent from my Transformer TF101

palmbeach05

Oct 12, 2012
Motorola Atrix HD
Do you know of a good(noob friendly) build guide for the DX anywhere? I am in the process of getting a build environment set up and my old DX is basically a spare device at this point. Once I get Ubuntu 13.10 fully set up and know how to build I would like to give 4.4 a try. I am using CM11 on my SGSIII and loving it. The Moto Defy has a working build so some of that stuff might be useful over here.

Sent from my Transformer TF101

The CM Droid X website. I'm in the middle of attempting to dl the source code myself for kitkat, but i'm running into an issue (repo related on my laptop, not necessarily CM related). But yeah, if you want, i am more than willing to work with you to help get this thing up and running for the Droid X.

thelangosta

The CM Droid X website. I'm in the middle of attempting to dl the source code myself for kitkat, but i'm running into an issue (repo related on my laptop, not necessarily CM related). But yeah, if you want, i am more than willing to work with you to help get this thing up and running for the Droid X.

Hmm, I didn't even know there was still a cm site for the DX. I'll take a look over there later. Does it have all the source code needed to get a build started for the DX or do we need to find stuff in different places? I'm definitely a complete noob when it comes to ROM building so I will have some questions when it comes time to start syncing stuff. Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

palmbeach05

Oct 12, 2012
Motorola Atrix HD
Hmm, I didn't even know there was still a cm site for the DX. I'll take a look over there later. Does it have all the source code needed to get a build started for the DX or do we need to find stuff in different places? I'm definitely a complete noob when it comes to ROM building so I will have some questions when it comes time to start syncing stuff. Thanks

The CM site has the basics on how to set up the build environment. yes, the page is directed at CM7 (the only thing they officially recognize as being supported by CM), but when you go to download the code, its going to be cm-11.0 instead of gb

thelangosta

My build environment is all set up. I did a cm11 repo sync last night but haven't attempted a build yet. I might try for the nexus 7 first since that should be easier to start with.

palmbeach05

Oct 12, 2012
Motorola Atrix HD
I had a slow connection, but i got the source code downloaded this morning (finally after 2 days). i'll see what i can do tonight. i'll test out the build probably tomorrow, but any help would be greatly appreciated and i of course will help everyone else out on this project.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Messing with motorola

I felt like asking for the developer sbf (doesn't exist but i was wondering if they just didn't release it...
    so I went to moto's chat, my response if you care...
    Edit: I guess I was reported after the 123 thing...
    Code:
     Brenda: Hi, my name is Brenda. How may I help you?
    Aaahh: Hi
    Aaahh: I have a developer question
    Brenda: Okay. I'll do my best to assist you.
    Brenda: Are you still there?
    Aaahh: Can I get a bootloader unlocked sbf for the droid x
    Brenda: I apologize but we don't have that information.

Brenda: You cannot unlock the bootloader of the phone.
    Aaahh: Can i have an sbf?
    Aaahh: BL_3004_cdma_shadow_Developer_replacer_HSPart
    Brenda: Motorola's primary focus is the security of our end users and protection of their data, while also meeting carrier, partner and legal requirements. The Droid X and a majority of Android consumer devices on the market today have a secured bootloader.  

In reference specifically to eFuse, the technology is not loaded with the purpose of preventing a consumer device from functioning, but rather ensuring for the user that the device only runs on updated and tested versions of software.   If a device attempts to boot with unapproved software, it will go into recovery mode, and can re-boot once approved software is re-installed. Checking for a valid software configuration is a common practice within the industry to protect the user against potential malicious software threats.  Motorola has been a long time advocate of open platforms and provides a number of resources to developers to foster the ecosystem including tools and access to devices for developers via MOTODEV at  http://developer.motorola.com.
    Aaahh: I Read...
    Aaahh: I just want: BL_3004_cdma_shadow_Developer_replacer_HSPart.sbf
    Brenda: For further information, please contact our forum support at  https://forums.motorola.com/pages/home
    Aaahh: So I can't have the file?
    Brenda: I apologize but we don't have that information.

Aaahh: Then can I supply the info of "yes"?
    Brenda: I'm not sure but you can try with them.
    Aaahh: Okay, the file?
    Brenda: Yes.
    Aaahh: Link?
    Brenda: Please contact our forum support at  https://forums.motorola.com/pages/home
    Aaahh: For what?
    Aaahh: I beleve You would have the file...
    Brenda: As much as I would like to provide you that file, we don't have it.
    Aaahh: Are you sure?
    Brenda: Yes, I am sure.
    Aaahh: Did you use the "search" function or even check the list
    Brenda: Yes and we don't have that. \
    Aaahh: What company are you in?
    Aaahh: Google or the us
    Brenda: Motorola US support.
    Aaahh: Took awhile, you must be busy, i recommend stoping and counting to three, then taking a break
    Aaahh: one
    Aaahh: two
    Aaahh: three!
    Aaahh: Ok i;m sorry
    Aaahh: Bye
    Brenda: Thank you. Anything else?
    Brenda: If you need any more information get in touch. Thanks from Motorola, bye!
    Aaahh: No
    Brenda has disconnected.
    Post everything you've got so far and then take a break for the holidays.?

:p, good point, I already am...
    List of issues fixed for build:
    Wifi✓
    Liblights✓
    Recovery✓
    Hijack-boot✓
    Everything else not related in anyway to Ext4_Utils✓
    Ext4_Utils
    Changed for install on .621 _
    (I know how to change it, steps a couple pages back)
    That's just for build, not boot, but It should boot, if not then its probably just that some locations have changed and I need to edit the Hijack stuff.
    Also the Droid x never supported Ex4... According to a couple pages before...

---------- Post added at 06:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 PM ----------

Update, the ext4_utils is just a tool the recovery uses, I'm sure its just safe to use the old one and new one, just change the name of the old one, and in the recovery, and then things should build. Hooray, going to test.

---------- Post added at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

Another update :p, I’m going to be smart and just use the recovery out folder from the ics, its just recovery.
    Ok, already got package complete with out hijack:

And here is what i have: cm-11-20140109-UNOFFICIAL-shadow.zip
    Uploaded just for explore. Strongly NOT recommended to flashing it on your phone. Also unpacked size of files is bigger than system partition on DX is.
    Ok, already got package complete with out hijack:

And here is what i have: cm-11-20140109-UNOFFICIAL-shadow.zip
    Uploaded just for explore. Strongly NOT recommended to flashing it on your phone. Also unpacked size of files is bigger than system partition on DX is.

It wont boot... Needs hijack but that tells ALOT... i have an idea
    I was accually debating that... if 2.6 works 3 should too, just a few changes...

Update, I just fixed alot of issues with Bootmenu
    It would clear out your data partition instead of your cache everytime used correctly, thats why my phone would, then wouldn't boot!
    Should have took alook, i have lots of bootmenu files that i didn't make and forgot where they come form :p and so this will be a much smaller Cwm6 and Rzrecovery(lets you recharge!!!! (stable)) bootmenu that wont clear out your data, Also click the (Home) button to see the log and REPORT!!!
    I'll upload it soon, DONT USE BOOTMENU TILL THEN!!!

Overall, i'm impressed we got it up and running. And fyi to you and everyone else, flashing the first zip is all thats needed to get into bootmenu. It gives the blue led. Flashing the second zip right after that gives that whole red led issue i was talking about in my previous post. Also, these zips break the bootstrap, and in the same breath, bootstrap breaks these zips. So for right now, its have a recovery or have a bootmenu.

Sent from my MB886 using xda app-developers app