[NES Emulator] vNESLight

Search This thread

Nudua

Mar 23, 2011
I sent my image on the other page. I attached to see if you wanted to use this one or something else. I'll break it up into 4 images if you want so you can use it. Just let me know the size of the hit box graphics (or each control), and I'll do it for ya.

I thought there was code to check the theme loaded ? Then you can load based on theme.

No problem, I look forward to your next beta !
Would be great if u could split them up, I really suck at working with graphical stuff. The individual sizes for the controls are 80x80, but that could be a little too big, so with spacing them out it would be 60x60.

Also wondering if doing a slight transparency would make it look less in the way.

DavidinCT

Jun 2, 2006
Someplace in CT
Would be great if u could split them up, I really suck at working with graphical stuff. The individual sizes for the controls are 80x80, but that could be a little too big, so with spacing them out it would be 60x60.

Also wondering if doing a slight transparency would make it look less in the way.

Ok, no problem, I want to help.

Can you do a back drop ? Also, does the images need to be 60 X 60, can they be, for example 60 X 30 or 30 X 60 (arrow angles are longer than thickness, etc) ?

What I mean, is each of the arrows(up, down, left, right) will be broken up into 4. Then the center I cant use (use a back drop to complete the image).

Transparency is no big deal, I'll try something like a 30% or so, unless you have something you prefer ?

I still feel you should break up the Select/Start to the left and right of the game image so you are not overlaying them over the video. I can do those too (expand the following image hight wise and put Select/start on the images)

How about the A/B buttons, do you want to use the attached ? How about a Size or do you have something else in mind ? I'll match transparency for what ever I use.

If you have another image of a controller you would prefer to use, I'll cut it up for ya.

If you want to take this all via email, drop me a line, we can finish this up over the next few days (I leave on Sunday for a business trip and wont be back for about 2 and 1/2 weeks, no photoshop access)

Let me know...

Attachments

• select-start.png
    select-start.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 29
  • A.png
    A.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 30
  • B.png
    B.png
    15 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Nudua

Mar 23, 2011
Ok, no problem, I want to help.

Can you do a back drop ? Also, does the images need to be 60 X 60, can they be, for example 60 X 30 or 30 X 60 (arrow angles are longer than thickness, etc) ?

What I mean, is each of the arrows(up, down, left, right) will be broken up into 4. Then the center I cant use (use a back drop to complete the image).

Transparency is no big deal, I'll try something like a 30% or so, unless you have something you prefer ?

I still feel you should break up the Select/Start to the left and right of the game image so you are not overlaying them over the video. I can do those too (expand the following image hight wise and put Select/start on the images)

How about the A/B buttons, do you want to use the attached ? How about a Size or do you have something else in mind ? I'll match transparency for what ever I use.

If you have another image of a controller you would prefer to use, I'll cut it up for ya.

If you want to take this all via email, drop me a line, we can finish this up over the next few days (I leave on Sunday for a business trip and wont be back for about 2 and 1/2 weeks, no photoshop access)

Let me know...
Sure, sent you an email.

Nudua

Mar 23, 2011
Okey just a quick updating regarding the marketplace submission, apparently emulators are allowed in the marketplace however vNESLight got stopped because of a small bug with the rom downloader, gonna polish up and re-submit it. Then it should be on the marketplace shortly.

Also regarding http://www.wpcentral.com/sam-alert-nes-titles-still-being-sold-new-ones-added , I basically got the same answer as wpcentral did.

For the other apps, we are working with our policy team and we do appreciate you bringing this to our attention

Because the removeal of apps where the trademark owner has not contacted Microsoft yet can be slow, please bear with us.

Nudua

Mar 23, 2011
Just another status update, been working on the beta 4. Which was intended to be the marketplace version, but it's going slowly forward and I'm doubting that it will make it. Prolly know sometime next week.

Couple of new features.

Fullscreen Mode:
game-smb3-level1.png

And if u uncheck fullscreen mode it'll maintain the aspect ratio, but no unnecessary black borders at the top and bottom like it was before.
game-mm1-title2-nonfull.png

Also i made the webdownloader a bit more idiot proof so u cannot add invalid roms, also there should be better error handling. Oh yeah and the fps bug is fixed.

Added opacity to the controls, there's also some feedback when u press the buttons, will try to get new graphics for the controls into this release.

Sadly there shouldn't be much speed improvements, but it should run a lot faster on newer devices. I am debating rewriting portions natively, but that would require a lot more time.

I'll have the beta 4 up in a few days.

Also, if u have a new device, e.g HTC Radar/Titan, Nokia Lumia 800 etc. I would be very interested in how well the beta 3 runs with the recommended settings for 2nd gen. phones. (60 fps mode, sound on, speed hack disabled, 0 frameskipping).

Reactions: DavidinCT

wheresmybeaver

Jul 24, 2008
I see there's another emulator on the Marketplace since 02/11/11 called "NES EMU 7", by Tidal Wave Innovations, is this related to your own work in any way?

It's €5 with no trial so I'm not going to try it, if you are adding your own emu to the Marketplace please do consider a trial option so we can give it a shot first! Latest developments are looking great, by the way.

Nudua

Mar 23, 2011
I see there's another emulator on the Marketplace since 02/11/11 called "NES EMU 7", by Tidal Wave Innovations, is this related to your own work in any way?

It's €5 with no trial so I'm not going to try it, if you are adding your own emu to the Marketplace please do consider a trial option so we can give it a shot first! Latest developments are looking great, by the way.

Huh, I know there's an open source project named NES EMU 7 which was made by Matt Bettcher, I'll have to check out the xap to be completely sure though, looks like another smart ass has taken his source code and has decided to sell it. Which is illegal because of the open source license.

I will submit vNESLight in a few days and it will be free of charge. Just sorting out a few things.

edit: just submitted it to the marketplace, tested the living crap out of it, so there shouldn't be any problems this time around. Xap version will be up shortly in the main post.

Last edited:

ONDR4SH3K

Nov 15, 2009
Opava

cgibsong002

Apr 12, 2011
PA
Just downloaded this.. awesome! I only tested the demo for about a minute, but it worked really well. Noob question though... where can I get other games? Does anyone have a link to a few games, maybe just the more popular ones? or what format do they have to be in so I can download them (torrent or something?)

Nudua

Mar 23, 2011
Much better, when controller isn't too much visible and visible, if I click on it. Thanks's for implement my request. :)

Sure sure, just let me know if there's anything else you're missing.

Just downloaded this.. awesome! I only tested the demo for about a minute, but it worked really well. Noob question though... where can I get other games? Does anyone have a link to a few games, maybe just the more popular ones? or what format do they have to be in so I can download them (torrent or something?)

Most ".nes" ROMs should work, as long as they have a valid header. As for finding ROMs you're on your own there, but its not hard to find.

mmian

Mar 29, 2011
woah! sweet! I tried to download it, but it won't complete the download, kinda strange, and when I search the marketplace, it doesn't show up...any idea?

Botoxopfer

Dec 18, 2010
I can't get the app download new roms. Any help would be appreaciated :) I trief several links that link to zip files but always it would say it is an invalid link.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    vNESLight 1.0 is now live, bringing a redesigned GUI, new controls, improved save states and much more. It has also been split up into a fully functional ad-supported free version and a paid version (vNESLight Pro) without ads. Unfortunately that means the xap file will no longer be available for sideloading. Both versions should be up in all of the marketplace regions by the end of the week.

vNESLight (free): http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=3d8e51b8-1884-4aa7-bb2c-2eda47745a27

vNESLight Pro (paid): http://windowsphone.com/s?appid=11ff7758-04ea-42d9-b012-55f90de82b10

Version 1.0 features - 1-April-2012
    - Completely new and improved controls + portrait support
    - SkyDrive integration
    - Fully featured jump list for all your games
    - Fast and fluent multiple save states system (swipe to change slot)
    - Backup and restore your save states via SkyDrive
    - Pin any game to the start screen
    - Auto detects the best settings for your device
    - Experimental Hardware Keyboard support
    - The demo ROMs of Battle Kid 2 and Super Bat Puncher are included

Method 1 for adding games: (SkyDrive)
    1) Get ROMs, don't ask me where. (use GoodNES branded ROMs if u have issues with invalid files)
    (Optional) zip, or rar all your ROM files to more easily add a batch of games at once.
    2) Login to https://skydrive.live.com/, you can use any Live account u like xbox, hotmail etc.
    3) Upload said zip/rar file or nes games to SkyDrive.
    4) Hit the + icon inside vNESLight, hit sign in to SkyDrive and navigate to your zip/rar or nes file then just tap on it to add the game(s).

Method 2: (via webserver, or direct link from dropbox)
    1) Upload the files to your webserver (or dropbox)
    2) Hit the + icon inside vNESLight and enter the full link into the Url box and hit add. Support for zip, rar and nes files.

As always thanks for all the feedback and testing done.

@nuduaa for updates on twitter.
    getting lag with sound only on Quattro games on nokia lumia 800 and htc mozart using beta 0.6, great work keep it up
    Quattro adventure?, it shouldn't lag on your Lumia 800 /w sound. Unless the game has slowdown like Mega Man 3. I'll check it out tho.

Is Skydrive support in for 1.0 ? I'll have to admit, that would be nice to update a single rom...

I tried Sonic Jewels on my Trophy, it ran perfectly fine but, with out sound, I wont buy it... Oh, it brings back memories, Phantasy Star just epic, I can even remember the sounds, too bad I can't hear them...

yeah I'm missing the sounds when playing Alex Kidd & Wonderboy as well.

As for SkyDrive in 1.0:
    skydrive-vnes-small.png

I've already implemented it and it has the same zip/rar and single file support.
    Hello mate, cool to see somebody making NES emulator that supports everything.

I can offer help in optimalizing the code, if you are interested :)

Sure, once I've put out the beta 2, I'll try to sort out the source code so u can have a look.

edit: beta 2 is now out, I've updated the main post with links etc.
    If you can wait till next week, I'll take a crack at a logo...

Sent from my mwp6985 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App
    Sure that would be sweet, I still have some more testing to do before I can release the beta 2. I've also added a way to pin any game to your homescreen as well as autosave.

At LG e900/Optimus7 the fps in smb3 from 28-30 FPS ^^

Cool, the next beta version should be out very soon, lots of improvements.
    How's progress coming ? If you need images, I created some a few pages back for you if you want to use them (controls and back drop of a controller).

I wonder if you could add, for example, when your playing a game, hit the camera button quickly and create a save game (AKA a shortcut of some type). I know if you hold the camera, it will turn it on but, a quick push ?

I don't think you have access to the camera button, but I could be wrong.

I've fixed the web downloader and I'm testing a few things with the controls. Gonna add automatic detection of new roms, so u could add/remove games via an isolated storage file manager before I put out the next beta.

Wish I had one of those new 1.4-1.5Ghz devices.. kinda disappointed some of the new devices are still rocking the 1Ghz CPU, but maybe the new GPU helps some as well.