New OTA Update!

Search This thread

wormyrocks

May 20, 2012
I'm new to this. Recently rooted, no custom ROMs or anything installed except for the FM tuner app from the stock ROM. I did get the OTA update notification. This is the same one that was leaked by BriefMobile, yes? What is the safest way for me to update? I don't really care if I lose root for a little while but I'd like to keep all my apps and data. Thanks in advance.

tyshemi

May 28, 2011
ANKENY,iowa
Not sure on 100% but if your getting the oat most likely it'll be ok but you may loose root

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

rossomatic

Mar 1, 2011
Try a reboot and see if it changed

I also am having issues, it downloads and in the drop-down bar it shows as "Download complete". Once I click on that, I get a menu that opens up saying "verifying update package" and the little busy circle keeps spinning with no changes...

anyone else experiencing this?

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Not sure on 100% but if your getting the oat most likely it'll be ok but you may loose root

That's horrible advice, and you have no basis for making such a statement. Just becuase you are notified of the OTA, and it even downloads, is no bearing on whether its safe to install on a rooted device. Until somebody does it, you have no idea what happens.

On my HTC Flyer, accepting the OTA on a rooted device would send the device into a bootloop.

OTA Rootkeeper may work to hide and keep root. But again, no way of knowing if its going to work until somebody tries it.

Also, in case its not perfectly clear: If you do not have SuperCID, do not install this OTA if you want root. 1.85 kills the One-click root method, and the only other root method required unlocked bootloader (which requires SuperCID). If you install this without SuperCID, you are going to be stuck without root until a root method for 1.85 is found.

Last edited:

checksum123

Jan 27, 2012
Nothing happened after it said download complete. Can't even check for updates anymore. Tapped the button and nothing happens.
Do this

Change the date on your phone to be let's say 8/8/2012, then go back and do a manual software update check. I will download it, and then ask you if you want to update

tyshemi

May 28, 2011
ANKENY,iowa
That's horrible advice, and you have no basis for making such a statement. Just becuase you are notified of the OTA, and it even downloads, is no bearing on whether its safe to install on a rooted device. Until somebody does it, you have no idea what happens.

On my HTC Flyer, accepting the OTA on a rooted device would send the device into a bootloop.

OTA Rootkeeper may work to hide and keep root. But again, no way of knowing if its going to work until somebody tries it.

Also, in case its not perfectly clear: If you do not have SuperCID, do not install this OTA if you want root. 1.85 kills the One-click root method, and the only other root method required unlocked bootloader (which requires SuperCID). If you install this without SuperCID, you are going to be stuck without root until a root method for 1.85 is found.

Thus reason I said should be ok, never said.yea man go for it it all be ok . And its my opinion he doesn't have to listen I'm nobodys boss. We are all free to.say what we think . And all the devices I have had its never sent me in any boottloops
But that's my own.experience . No one is perfect but we are here to help each other but thanks :p

Last edited:
Reactions: droidiac13

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm running 1.85 RUU and checked for updates and got 'no updates available"

In other news, the sun is reported to be hot.
    Thanks... That's helpful. Maybe I do need to be on Android Central instead of XDA... As suggested by some of the "advanced users" on here...since I don't seem to be welcome here for making a simple request for a changelog on an OTA update thread.

Yikes.

I wouldn't sweat it...the only "advanced users" on here are devs as far as I'm concerned. Some people who live on here equate high post counts to knowledge...hardly the case. I have seen some serious misinformation regurgitated from some of the same "advanced users" on a frequent basis. You can always choose to ignore these people.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    easy man... It was only my intention to say that the advanced users would have known the changes in the 1.85xxxxx software release for weeks now... and could be helpful enough to the rest of us to share it if they did. If you are not interested in helping people who like to stick with the stock software... fine, but don't get mean about it.

You're welcome to go read the 1.85 RUU thread any findings have been reported there.
    The way to become an "advanced user" is to read up on stuff for yourself. Put away the spoon and go forage for yourself.
    36gwuc.jpg