Search This thread

gts5282SGduo

Apr 4, 2016
android system recovery

After noticing that many members fear to change roms because they will lose their data i decided to make a guide about back up.

Backing up is a very important thing that will save you from so much trouble especially when you want to switch between roms. To make a long story sort it is a very useful tool for us xdacians :D

I will cover two factors. Firstly, back up of your entire rom with cwm recovery and second, back up of your apps.

Lets’s start with the rom back up.
Requirements
1. A rooted device.
2. Cwm recovery.

We will make a Nandroid back up. The great thing about a Nandroid backup is that it saves everything about the system on your device. That includes your system data and more importantly, user data. All the apps you have installed, the user data individually saved by these applications, your phone contacts, the accounts tied to the device - every detail will be retained.
A point to note here is that your SD Card data is not backed up. The Nandroid backup itself is created on your SD card. Make sure you have sufficient space.
Instructions
1. Reboot to cwm.
2. Select “back up and restore”.
3. Select “back up”.
4. Wait patiently until its finished.
5. Congrats you have successfully back up your rom.
6. For more safety you can transfer it to your computer. You can find the folder at sd card/clockworkmod/backup.

Now you can flash a different rom. If you don’t like it and you want to go back to your backed up rom here is how.
Instructions
1. Reboot to recovery.
3. Select “restore”. (You can choose “advanced restore” then choose the back up for more options, I think the options are pretty self explained…)
4. Select your back up, it will have a name based on the date you made it.
5. Wait patiently until its finished.
6. Congrats you have successfully restored a back up.
If you have bootloop after restoring a back up see post #2.

Ok, that was useful for when you install a rom and then you decide that the previous was better so you want to switch back but what if you want to keep the new one?

Don’t worry you can restore your apps there too, there is no need to install them all from the start.

Titanium backup is the solution.

Lets proceed with the back up of your apps.

Requirements
1. A rooted device.
2. Titanium backup.

This is a very helpful tool to back up your apps and the user data(game’s progress for example), which make the difference from just installing your desired apps from the start.

A quick way to make back ups with this app is the following.

Instructions
1. Open the app with root rights.
2. Hit the tab on the screen which tells “Backup/Restore”.
3. Now you see all your apps, including your system apps.
4. Tap on one and a window will pop out, hit the “backup!” , as you can see there are other useful options as well.
5. You can do this for every app you want to back up but it is time consuming, don’t worry if you have a large list of apps, hit the menu button of your phone, now select “batch”.
6. You see many options. For a full back up of your app run the option “Backup all user apps”.
7. Done!
For a more detailed look on the app see this from the developer’s site.

So, now you have flash a new rom and you want your apps.

Instructions
1. Install titanium backup.
2. Open it.
3. Scrolling down the list of the “Backup/Restore” tab you can see all your back ups. You can either click on one and hit “restore” then ”App+Data” or you can go to “batch”, “Restore missing apps and data”.
4. Done!
For the system apps its better to restore data only.

Note that titanium backup is the app I prefer, that doesn’t mean that there aren’t other.

That’s it, you now have your apps from your previous roms. Enjoy your new rom.

Don’t forget to make backup often.
Hi newbie me just ask bout ROM bcoz not all device have a cwm or twrp and I'm one of them. All the device has a system recovery and u can see this (BACKUP USER DATA/RESTORE USER DATA) is this like a backup ROM or restore ROM which the type of the file is xx.backup?
Appreciate ur reply:good:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After noticing that many members fear to change roms because they will lose their data i decided to make a guide about back up.

Backing up is a very important thing that will save you from so much trouble especially when you want to switch between roms. To make a long story sort it is a very useful tool for us xdacians :D

I will cover two factors. Firstly, back up of your entire rom with cwm recovery and second, back up of your apps.

Lets’s start with the rom back up.
    Requirements
    1. A rooted device.
    2. Cwm recovery.

We will make a Nandroid back up. The great thing about a Nandroid backup is that it saves everything about the system on your device. That includes your system data and more importantly, user data. All the apps you have installed, the user data individually saved by these applications, your phone contacts, the accounts tied to the device - every detail will be retained.
    A point to note here is that your SD Card data is not backed up. The Nandroid backup itself is created on your SD card. Make sure you have sufficient space.
    Instructions
    1. Reboot to cwm.
    3. Select “back up”.
    4. Wait patiently until its finished.
    5. Congrats you have successfully back up your rom.
    6. For more safety you can transfer it to your computer. You can find the folder at sd card/clockworkmod/backup.

Now you can flash a different rom. If you don’t like it and you want to go back to your backed up rom here is how.
    Instructions
    1. Reboot to recovery.
    3. Select “restore”. (You can choose “advanced restore” then choose the back up for more options, I think the options are pretty self explained…)
    4. Select your back up, it will have a name based on the date you made it.
    5. Wait patiently until its finished.
    6. Congrats you have successfully restored a back up.
    If you have bootloop after restoring a back up see post #2.

Ok, that was useful for when you install a rom and then you decide that the previous was better so you want to switch back but what if you want to keep the new one?

Don’t worry you can restore your apps there too, there is no need to install them all from the start.

Titanium backup is the solution.

Lets proceed with the back up of your apps.

Requirements
    1. A rooted device.
    2. Titanium backup.

This is a very helpful tool to back up your apps and the user data(game’s progress for example), which make the difference from just installing your desired apps from the start.

A quick way to make back ups with this app is the following.

Instructions
    1. Open the app with root rights.
    2. Hit the tab on the screen which tells “Backup/Restore”.
    3. Now you see all your apps, including your system apps.
    4. Tap on one and a window will pop out, hit the “backup!” , as you can see there are other useful options as well.
    5. You can do this for every app you want to back up but it is time consuming, don’t worry if you have a large list of apps, hit the menu button of your phone, now select “batch”.
    6. You see many options. For a full back up of your app run the option “Backup all user apps”.
    7. Done!
    For a more detailed look on the app see this from the developer’s site.

So, now you have flash a new rom and you want your apps.

Instructions
    1. Install titanium backup.
    2. Open it.
    3. Scrolling down the list of the “Backup/Restore” tab you can see all your back ups. You can either click on one and hit “restore” then ”App+Data” or you can go to “batch”, “Restore missing apps and data”.
    4. Done!
    For the system apps its better to restore data only.

Note that titanium backup is the app I prefer, that doesn’t mean that there aren’t other.

That’s it, you now have your apps from your previous roms. Enjoy your new rom.

Don’t forget to make backup often.
    If you can’t restore a full Nandroid back up (and this happens many times) then here is a simple trick I do for it.

Instructions
    1. Install the rom that is the same with your back up. (For example if you want to restore a gingerdx back up and you have bootloop when you restore the full back up, install the clean rom(gingerdx) as you installed it the first time and keep reading…)
    2. Reboot to cwm.
    3. (Optional) Full wipe. (Including factory reset and wipe dalvik cache)
    4. “back up and restore”.
    5. “Advanced Restore”.
    6. Select the back up you want to restore.
    7. Now hit “Restore data”, ”Restore cache”, “Restore sd-ext”
    8. Do you remember how was it when you made the back up? Now it’s the same.:p

If you have md5 mismatch error when restoring a backup then see this thread by ihtfp69

I figured I would post this fix here in case anyone else ran into this problem. This is assuming you did not change the folder names and let Clockworkmod create them. I haven't had it happen until today, but it's not a nice message to see when you are trying to do a restore.

Code:
    Checking MD5 sums...
    MD5 mismatch!

To fix this problem use the code below. Substitute the final folder name for the backup you need to fix.

Code:
    adb shell
    # cd /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/2010-06-29.20.22.53
    # rm nandroid.md5
    # md5sum *img > nandroid.md5

When that finishes, re-run the restore and everything should be fine.

NOTE: As rpearl stated, there could be something really wrong with your nandroid, so use this tutorial as a learning experience and not a fix-all. In my case, everything was fine after restoring. However, that may not always be the case. Do this with caution.

Thanks for reading.:angel:
    Add few steps for fixing md5 mismatch error on restoring backups. :thumbup:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=714114

Sent from my E15i using xda app-developers app
    Add few steps for fixing md5 mismatch error on restoring backups. :thumbup:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=714114

Sent from my E15i using xda app-developers app

Sure:)

Edit: Done