Unified CM11 won't boot

Search This thread

SCFirefighter

Oct 14, 2012
So I've been waiting on a unified firmware before trying CM. Don't judge me. However, I can't get it to boot. CWM recovery works fine, wiping /data and /cache works fine, as does installing the zip.
I tried both nightlies, and both won't boot beyond the Moto 'BOOTLOADER UNLOCKED" warning. This is the Verizon RAZR HD.

Any thoughts?

SCFirefighter

Oct 14, 2012

I finally got it worked out. I have a feeling my recovery image may have been corrupted. It installed fine, but you never know.
Either way, these are the files I used (for others to reference)

recovery-clockwork-6.0.4.4-xt926
d688093be16b953f860b35341df3ab08

cm-11-20140220-NIGHTLY-moto_msm8960
847519fbff300dc35538bf61785065be

-- Also, don't forget to format /system. You'll have to dig for that option in the storage and mounts section of your recovery

Last edited:

aviwdoowks

Sep 18, 2012
I finally got it worked out. I have a feeling my recovery image may have been corrupted. It installed fine, but you never know.
Either way, these are the files I used (for others to reference)

recovery-clockwork-6.0.4.4-xt926
d688093be16b953f860b35341df3ab08

cm-11-20140220-NIGHTLY-moto_msm8960
847519fbff300dc35538bf61785065be

-- Also, don't forget to format /system. You'll have to dig for that option in the mounds section of your recovery :)

Use philz 6128 w/cwmr 6047.

Hydr0id

Jul 30, 2013
I'm having a weird issue with the latest unified build, I get stuck on "warning bootloader unlocked" but only when I power off the phone to charge it lol

Sent from my RAZR HD

MauricioBR

Feb 25, 2014
I'm having a weird issue with the latest unified build, I get stuck on "warning bootloader unlocked" but only when I power off the phone to charge it lol

Sent from my RAZR HD

I have the same problem on unified from Feb21st. I'm afraid that when my battery goes, I'll have a soft-bricked phone because it won't charge.

When installing CM, one thing I did not do was formatting /system, because I couldn't find that option anywhere on CWM.

Does anyone know a way to fix this?

Hydr0id

Jul 30, 2013
I have the same problem on unified from Feb21st. I'm afraid that when my battery goes, I'll have a soft-bricked phone because it won't charge.

When installing CM, one thing I did not do was formatting /system, because I couldn't find that option anywhere on CWM.

Does anyone know a way to fix this?

I thought I was the only one, I can confirm the problem still persists on 2/24 nightly, on today's one I haven't tried yet. Also, the format/system is under mounts & storage in the main menu of CWM. I did a clean install of the unified nightlies, that hasn't solved my problem, I'm really concerned of what could happen if my phone powers off and there is no way to past the "bootloader unlocked" screen.

Sent from my RAZR HD using Tapatalk

SCFirefighter

Oct 14, 2012
While I certainly hope you guys can get back on your feet I would advise you to get the team black hat active USB connector. It allows your phone to boot and flash without battery.

eta: http://shop.teamblackhat.info/Factory-style-programming-cable-for-Motorola-FactCable.htm

I have no ties to these folks or this product, except for owning one. It has saved twice in 2 years. Don't need it much, but you'll be glad to have it when you need it.

It took me over 8 hours of on and off flashing before I got it right. I blamed it on my recovery, since the md5's of all the zips I downloaded were correct, even after copying them to the sd card via my laptop.

I would try this:
Find your original Motorola usb cable. I've seen a lot of posts over the years because of bad cables.
Make sure you have the right one, and re-flash CWM recovery. Check its md5 before flashing using the one from my earlier post.
Boot into CWM and format /data and /cache, and then find the option to format /system.
Flash the nighly from http://get.cm/?device=moto_msm8960
Flash the gapps package for CM11: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Google_Apps
Reboot

Even if you've done this already, just try it again. Like I said I spent all day getting frustrated, and almost gave up on it. I am not entirely sure it was my recovery, but I have nothing else to blame it on.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: CWGSM3VO

MauricioBR

Feb 25, 2014
While I certainly hope you guys can get back on your feet I would advise you to get the team black hat active USB connector. It allows your phone to boot and flash without battery.

[...]

I have no ties to these folks or this product, except for owning one. It has saved twice in 2 years. Don't need it much, but you'll be glad to have it when you need it.

It took me over 8 hours of on and off flashing before I got it right. I blamed it on my recovery, since the md5's of all the zips I downloaded were correct, even after copying them to the sd card via my laptop.

I would try this:
[...]

Even if you've done this already, just try it again. Like I said I spent all day getting frustrated, and almost gave up on it. I am not entirely sure it was my recovery, but I have nothing else to blame it on.

Good luck.

I just installed the last non-unified version and it's working as expected. I'll use this version for now, until the problem is fixed.

Are you using the official CWM? And which fastboot utility do you recommend? I know that the one that comes from SDK can cause issues with moto.

Last edited:

SCFirefighter

Oct 14, 2012
I just installed the last non-unified version and it's working as expected. I'll use this version for now, until the problem is fixed.

Are you using the official CWM? And which fastboot utility do you recommend? I know that the one that comes from SDK can cause issues with moto.

Congrats! Try doing the OTA updates to the unified builds. I've read that is successful. I used snapdragon specific fastboots I found online a while ago. However, I've never really seen it specified, so I assume the normal one that come with the SDK will work just fine.

Last edited:

MauricioBR

Feb 25, 2014
Congrats! Try doing the OTA updates to the unified builds. I've read that is successful. I used snapdragon specific fastboots I found online a while ago. However, I've never really seen it specified, so I assume the normal one that come with the SDK will work just fine.

The unified versions do not show up on the updater. :(
I tried to search another way to do the OTA, but had no luck. I tried installing the unified from the 24th over the non-unified (without wipes), but the charging problem came back.

Next step is to try flashing CWM over again and will go from that -- although I find hard to believe that the same CWM that works for one version is causing the other to bug out.

SCFirefighter

Oct 14, 2012
I can't believe how inconsistent this **** is. So I messed up my phone and wanted to start over. Now the same files I successfully flashed and booted (see first page) now don't boot past the bootloader screen again.
Even after flashing the Verizon stock image back into my phone, the same files that were still on my external sd card refuse to successfully boot.

w t f

ETA: I am so f'n pissed right now. I was so happy with CM and I spent the last hours trying to get this back on my phone. Ready to throw this thing out. 2 different recoveries, 5 different CM zips. NONE boot past the bootloader image!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

aviwdoowks

Sep 18, 2012
I can't believe how inconsistent this **** is. So I messed up my phone and wanted to start over. Now the same files I successfully flashed and booted (see first page) now don't boot past the bootloader screen again.
Even after flashing the Verizon stock image back into my phone, the same files that were still on my external sd card refuse to successfully boot.

w t f

ETA: I am so f'n pissed right now. I was so happy with CM and I spent the last hours trying to get this back on my phone. Ready to throw this thing out. 2 different recoveries, 5 different CM zips. NONE boot past the bootloader image!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I take it that stock rsd restore was successful for a boot to stock & the 1st boot to google login & getting to homesreen & etc? You are referring to failures after this 1st stock boot right?
Just to be on the same page.

SCFirefighter

Oct 14, 2012
I take it that stock rsd restore was successful for a boot to stock & the 1st boot to google login & getting to homesreen & etc? You are referring to failures after this 1st stock boot right?
Just to be on the same page.

Flashing back to stock results in a fully functional phone. When I boot into the custom recovery and format everything followed by the zips I just don't get it to boot at all.it just hangs at the unlocked boot loader warning.

Reactions: aviwdoowks

Top Liked Posts