For those of you not using a case...

Search This thread

dr.m0x

Oct 28, 2010
Auckland
The real issue is the quality of materials that Samsung use. You shouldn't need to wrap things up in cotton wool to feel safe using them unless you are a bit clumsy and always dropping things.

With the note 3, the silver bezel is not that durable. If you want to be VERY pedantic about it, I have now checked 3 of them, and they all have micro scratches on the bezel out of the box from brand new. These are not black lines, but just changes in the reflection that can be seen when looking at the top of the bezel around the screen under a halogen spotlight. I suspect that the bezels are marked as they are fed along the production line. But it shows how soft the bezel is.

In fact the S-view case with real stitching may worsen it as the stitching rubs as the case moves around particularly if in a pocket. But then naked doesn't do much better in a pocket, as the material of the pocket itself rubbing very tightly against the bezel has scratched it more on a mates Note 3.

The plastic is just too cheap to keep it perfect. But if you don't look at it under a spotlight, maybe you will never notice! :)

I've seen plenty of iPhone 4 with cracked glass backs and plenty of iPhone 5 with scrapes and dings in the "premium" aluminium housing. Not saying build quality couldn't be better, just saying all phones will show wear sooner or later if you don't use a case.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

chevronheys

Aug 7, 2010
Nottingham
Just wanted to say:
I'm a heavy user of my phone, and I've had it for around five months. I don't use a case, the only protection I have is a Spigen GLAS.tR screen protector.
I've seen no wear on any part of the device, including the metallic-looking sides of the phone, they still look new (apart from one bump I had with it, but it's tiny)

I know Samsung don't exactly use the nicest looking or even the highest quality materials, but this phone has been brilliant for me and I'm very impressed.

zombiecidal

Mar 10, 2012
Lynnville
Looks good naked but let's be realistic

I agree that a naked note 3 looks good but It doesn't look so good that people should risk not protecting it. I have been thinking about buying a new back cover and attempting to create a case with the premium look of naked note 3 with added protection now that could solve all disagreements.

Reactions: apallohadas

blkgtr02

Apr 18, 2013
Well, if your like me and you plan on upgrading to the newest phone every year then it doesn't really matter. Your for sure gonna get some wear and tear, and they are very cheap. I dropped from 1 foot high onto my front flat concrete and the silver bezel is chipped like no tomorrow. But NOTHING feels like holding the phone the way it was mean't to be....caseless...so slimmm and sexy...I always rock a 0.15mm tempered glass and no case and its the best!

Last edited:

dakunclear

Jul 26, 2011
Calgary
I've haven't had a case for a long time with my phone's I usually get 2 years out of them then I get new phone give my old one to my wife which she breaks 2 weeks later lol

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The thing is, why would you void your warranty entirely by taking apart the phone because you want to feel the phone straight up? I mean it costs 10USD to void the warranty. But it would cost just 20USD to avoid this from happening everytime you drop your phone. You won't feel scared if you shattered your screen, and it is obviously better to not damage the phone anyways, and damage to a case because they are easily replaceable.

I concur. As I stated earlier, I had a naked note 2, and the glass broke. I thought I could replace the glass myself, but if you watch any youtube videos, the display is TIGHTLY glued onto the amoled display/digitizer. Many a person has ruined the display by trying to pry off the broken glass (especially by heating up the glue to make it easier to remove). If you watch the youtube videos out there, they show the replacement uses vacuums to tightly couple the glass to the amoled display, as well as doing this work in a clean room to prevent any dust settling between the glass and the display.

See: http://www.xda-developers.com/andro...e-screen-of-your-smart-phone-all-by-yourself/

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndgBUhYIhaM

In short, the $10/15 replacement glass does not cover the entire cost of a new display due to (many) potential failures.

Please, educate yourself before it costs you a helluva lot more.

Cheers,
    B.D.
    The real issue is the quality of materials that Samsung use. You shouldn't need to wrap things up in cotton wool to feel safe using them unless you are a bit clumsy and always dropping things.

With the note 3, the silver bezel is not that durable. If you want to be VERY pedantic about it, I have now checked 3 of them, and they all have micro scratches on the bezel out of the box from brand new. These are not black lines, but just changes in the reflection that can be seen when looking at the top of the bezel around the screen under a halogen spotlight. I suspect that the bezels are marked as they are fed along the production line. But it shows how soft the bezel is.

In fact the S-view case with real stitching may worsen it as the stitching rubs as the case moves around particularly if in a pocket. But then naked doesn't do much better in a pocket, as the material of the pocket itself rubbing very tightly against the bezel has scratched it more on a mates Note 3.

The plastic is just too cheap to keep it perfect. But if you don't look at it under a spotlight, maybe you will never notice! :)

I've seen plenty of iPhone 4 with cracked glass backs and plenty of iPhone 5 with scrapes and dings in the "premium" aluminium housing. Not saying build quality couldn't be better, just saying all phones will show wear sooner or later if you don't use a case.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
    I'm hesitant to believe that ^

I have some blemishes on the brim of the silver bezel just from applying a screen protector with a credit card (which I'm assuming scratched it)
    dropped mine from 3 inches out of my jacket pocket on accident. HUGE gouges on corner silver area. Luckily since its soft its able to be sanded / polished. I used 1500 grit sandpaper and went to town on it. then polished with aluminium polish to refinish it . Still some deep scratches, but much better.
    I concur. As I stated earlier, I had a naked note 2, and the glass broke. I thought I could replace the glass myself, but if you watch any youtube videos, the display is TIGHTLY glued onto the amoled display/digitizer. Many a person has ruined the display by trying to pry off the broken glass (especially by heating up the glue to make it easier to remove). If you watch the youtube videos out there, they show the replacement uses vacuums to tightly couple the glass to the amoled display, as well as doing this work in a clean room to prevent any dust settling between the glass and the display.

See: http://www.xda-developers.com/andro...e-screen-of-your-smart-phone-all-by-yourself/

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndgBUhYIhaM

In short, the $10/15 replacement glass does not cover the entire cost of a new display due to (many) potential failures.

Please, educate yourself before it costs you a helluva lot more.

Cheers,
    B.D.

I don't need to educate myself in things I don't need to worry about all time. If I had a case that could be thrown off at a great height, and still has no damage to the phone, I would know the limits and not throw the phone off at that height, but I'll know that the case has the durability of being thrown of at a great height and not damaging the phone at all. Simply taking out your phone from your pocket and holding your phone incorrectly causing a drop would hurt the phone big time, even if it may not have landed face down to smash the screen.

Everything you said above just brings us back to my original point, why are you risking your expensive new toy just for the "looks", when you know that ONE drop on a common flooring such as cement or gravel would have a good possibility of damaging your screen?

First of all, the post you "suggested", requires you to have some knowledge on how to do these things, and second of all, it takes time and money. All of this because you're too lazy to simply use a good case/screen protector?

I don't see the point you're trying to make, I just said that it would be smart of people if they use a case, because even those people who baby their phones would one day find scratches or dents on their device that they didn't expect.

I'm not saying to go get it fixed or get your screen replaced by buying a new panel and spending a fraction of the cost of your device. I'm saying, use a case, so that you can easily avoid all that trouble that you are bringing upon yourself because you feel like you should be the special one in the crowd with the Note 3 and you have to make sure everyone knows you got the Note 3, even if you aren't a person like this, the respect for the Note 3's design can only give you self satisfaction for so long, as soon as you see dents, dings and scratches plainly visible by anyone whilst using your phone, you would feel bad and regret not buying a protective solution back then, be it an InvisibleShield or a thin TPU.