[Q] Phone keeps saying "Preparing SIM card"

Search This thread
G

GuestK0087

Sprint is closed now. I tried putting another ROM on it (4.13.651.3) and it doesn't get data either. Will Sprint be able to get it to have data again? This is becoming a major pain now. I don't understand why the Preparing SIM card loop issue happened in the first place.

Did you call #611? I thought they had 24/7 tech support. Anyway, they might be able to get you data but I can't say for certain. Just be sure, when you do call them, that you're on a sense ROM in order for their attempts to activate to work. As far as why this is happening, I wish I knew. This seems to be an extremely unique issue. As stated before, we've all seen the "preparing SIM card" notification after running the RUU but I have not seen or heard of anyone experiencing the issues you are.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

RChris173

Nov 4, 2008
Did you call #611? I thought they had 24/7 tech support. Anyway, they might be able to get you data but I can't say for certain. Just be sure, when you do call them, that you're on a sense ROM in order for their attempts to activate to work. As far as why this is happening, I wish I knew. This seems to be an extremely unique issue. As stated before, we've all seen the "preparing SIM card" notification after running the RUU but I have not seen or heard of anyone experiencing the issues you are.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I called from my Google Voice line on my computer since I don't have another phone to use other than my cell phone. Does #611 on the device go to sprint tech directly?

When it does say "Preparing SIM card" there is an icon of a SIM card with a "!" over it on the top status bar. Do you recall seeing that too?

It's as if my embedded SIM card is being "removed" and "reinserted" at random.

Last edited:

RayTrue04

Oct 27, 2010
Hartford, CT
I called from my Google Voice line on my computer since I don't have another phone to use other than my cell phone. Does #611 on the device go to sprint tech directly?

When it does say "Preparing SIM card" there is an icon of a SIM card with a "!" over it on the top status bar. Do you recall seeing that too?

It's as if my embedded SIM card is being "removed" and "reinserted" at random.

Like i said, that's just an HTC thing now. It scans the sim card as if it were a removal one like the HTC One to prepare data services after every reboot. Once data is active it's supposed to go away till the next boot up. The reason why I'm assuming you keep having issues is that something is wrong with your data activating and the phone keeps trying to prepare the sim for data. If you're also experiencing the problem on older builds with no data that would explain why the sim notification is an issue on 4.3 as it notifies you of it, something that is not present on older builds. Call Sprint when you can and see if they have your sim card registered correctly on their end. I've seen issues with ppl having data problems because their LTE sim cards weren't matching what sprint had on file. And yes the notification with the ! is normal while it sets up connection to data.

Edit: How long had you had your phone and was it always giving you data problems?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using XDA Free mobile app

RChris173

Nov 4, 2008
Like i said, that's just an HTC thing now. It scans the sim card as if it were a removal one like the HTC One to prepare data services after every reboot. Once data is active it's supposed to go away till the next boot up. The reason why I'm assuming you keep having issues is that something is wrong with your data activating and the phone keeps trying to prepare the sim for data. If you're also experiencing the problem on older builds with no data that would explain why the sim notification is an issue on 4.3 as it notifies you of it, something that is not present on older builds. Call Sprint when you can and see if they have your sim card registered correctly on their end. I've seen issues with ppl having data problems because their LTE sim cards weren't matching what sprint had on file. And yes the notification with the ! is normal while it sets up connection to data.

Edit: How long had you had your phone and was it always giving you data problems?

I've had the phone for about 2 years now and it has always been fine up until a few days ago it started doing the SIM card issue. When the SIM card issue started though, data was okay, but internment.

Last edited:

RayTrue04

Oct 27, 2010
Hartford, CT
If a phone rep can't resolve it maybe you should have it checked at a service center. Something might be wrong with your sim card.

RChris173

Nov 4, 2008

When I called, the UICC was different than what they had on the system. The rep supposedly updated it and had me do another ##72786# and when my phone didn't initially activate, she said it was an HTC problem and said I needed to contact HTC.

I finally got the phone to activate, then spoke with another rep at Sprint and he said the UICC on Sprint's end was blank and there was nothing he could do to update it. He said I had to go to a store to have them fix it.

I got 3G for about 5 seconds then it disappeared. Still no data. I don't know what else to do.

RChris173

Nov 4, 2008
I left my home and went driving around and it picked up 4G service and was working but it kept going off and on. It never picked up 3G when the 4G went out. I was in Baltimore and it stayed on 4G most of the time, but then when I got back to my place it disappeared. Then I rebooted the phone, it came back then went away.

I've always had a very strong 3G connection at my place and usually 4G, but no where can I get 3G when 4G isn't working.

RChris173

Nov 4, 2008
I called and spoke with another rep and specifically asked if there were data problems in the Baltimore - Ft. Meade area. He started saying there were issues in Annapolis Junction, Laurel, Jessup, Linthicum, etc. That pretty much was my route today on my way to Baltimore and he said there is no EVDO service.

Supposedly the "upgrades" or whatever they are doing should be finished by Monday at 19:00. I guess I'll have to keep waiting and see if that is the problem.

Does Sprint have a web site or is there a place where I can find outages?

RChris173

Nov 4, 2008
I called and spoke with another rep and specifically asked if there were data problems in the Baltimore - Ft. Meade area. He started saying there were issues in Annapolis Junction, Laurel, Jessup, Linthicum, etc. That pretty much was my route today on my way to Baltimore and he said there is no EVDO service.

Supposedly the "upgrades" or whatever they are doing should be finished by Monday at 19:00. I guess I'll have to keep waiting and see if that is the problem.

Does Sprint have a web site or is there a place where I can find outages?

Well I just swapped my phone to a Samsung A900M to see if it would get EvDO. It did without any problem...

fizbanrapper

Jan 19, 2014
Anyone els have this problem? Sounds like the OP's fix was a new phone. Mine is having the same issues.

This most definitely is not normal and I don't think it has anything to do with being granted or denied superuser permissions. I've superwiped and reinstalled the new partition firmware and deodexed stock ROM and granted superuser permissions, done the same and denied permissions. I've done it via RUU denying permissions, then again with superuser permissions granted.

AOSP ROM's simply don't work at all any more. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the radios, but I'm not really sure how to test them.

I've tried RUUing back to old partitions, then back again, just to see the same exact problem.

HTCDev unlocked
firewater S-Off
2.10.000 HBoot
TWRP 2.7.1.0b
deodexed .4 stock rom

lreyes

Jun 28, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S21+
Samsung Galaxy S22
Anyone els have this problem? Sounds like the OP's fix was a new phone. Mine is having the same issues.

This most definitely is not normal and I don't think it has anything to do with being granted or denied superuser permissions. I've superwiped and reinstalled the new partition firmware and deodexed stock ROM and granted superuser permissions, done the same and denied permissions. I've done it via RUU denying permissions, then again with superuser permissions granted.

AOSP ROM's simply don't work at all any more. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the radios, but I'm not really sure how to test them.

I've tried RUUing back to old partitions, then back again, just to see the same exact problem.

HTCDev unlocked
firewater S-Off
2.10.000 HBoot
TWRP 2.7.1.0b
deodexed .4 stock rom

I've had the same problem...it's the area you're in. Happened to me at a friend's house. Next thing you know I'm home and it's working 100% fine.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

fizbanrapper

Jan 19, 2014
I've had the same problem...it's the area you're in. Happened to me at a friend's house. Next thing you know I'm home and it's working 100% fine.

We might have the same problem, but it could be something a bit different too. Not sure.

I was using a signal check app tonight as my wife was driving. The problem went away whenever I was connected to LTE, but came back when LTE dropped off.

It would be super-helpful if someone could tell me what kinds of radio hardware is on the device. Is it possible that I fried just my 3g radio, but that my 800 regular cell and my 1900 lte radios are fine? Or is the 3g combined with another radio? I don't really know how this works.

RChris173

Nov 4, 2008

The problem that I had, was definitely not related to the area that I live in. The problem was happening all over Maryland.

My solution was that I got a replacement EVO 4G LTE from Sprint under the TEP and the new replacement phone did not have any of the issues. I am confident it was something specific to my phone, and that it was somehow coincidental that the problem started after messing around with all of the ROM flashing, firmware updates, etc. It may have been that the SIM card was just going bad (hardware), or the software screwed something up that was not able to be fixed.

I now have the HTC M8, but have my new replacement EVO 4G LTE as a backup.