• Thinkfree Mobile

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • OfficeSuite Pro+

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • Kingsoft Office

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • SoftMaker Apps

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Other (e.g. Google Docs or other online apps)

Votes: 6 7.7%

• Total voters
Search This thread

dtm_stretch

Dec 22, 2010
Albany
Do any of these apps support using the "tab" button in the android on screen keyboard. It is very difficult to keep organized notes without a tab/shift tab shortcut to indent paragraphs or un-indent. Do any of these apps support that shortcut with the keyboard dock? I have used google docs and it does not support the tab button, does anyone know of a different way to indent through the app?

funnycreature

Documents to Go and ThinkFree Office support the keyboard dock tab and indents the entire paragraph (first line and hanging indent). Picsel SmartOffice and QuickOffice Pro HD only indent the first line. If you are talking about changing the level in multilevel lists then I don't know.

Do any of these apps support using the "tab" button in the android on screen keyboard. It is very difficult to keep organized notes without a tab/shift tab shortcut to indent paragraphs or un-indent. Do any of these apps support that shortcut with the keyboard dock? I have used google docs and it does not support the tab button, does anyone know of a different way to indent through the app?

Reactions: dtm_stretch

skidder

Jul 18, 2008
It would seem that the transformer and upcoming machines are crying out for a decent office suite. There doesn't seem to be any real reason why they are so poor. Would be good to see libre office come to android and poking around there has been some interest but not sure that it is being worked on.

There's definitely the potential to do a decent job. I'm happy with cut down as long as it is fully functional.

darrengladysz

Sep 19, 2008
Montreal
Document reviewing

I looked into the various document formatting softwares.

What amazes me most is the tablet is not the best tool for creating documents but it can be very practical for reviewing and making some small changes to documents.

Surprisingly enough, reviewing and showing changes is absent from most document software and those that offer it are not all that good. Either the changes are not diplayed in a different font or in some cases the previous and new changes are both deleted.

It might be utopic to wish for document compare features but they should at least to be able to view and accept/reject changes.

Does the ipac office suite offer this?

bucketheadmn

Mar 15, 2010
Which one of these offers the "best" integration with Dropbox and Google Docs? Polaris requires me to download file from gDocs and then upload new doc while I have to delete original - pain in the rear. Ideally I would like to find one of these programs that when I save a file on the TF it auto uploads/saves in the cloud as well. It does not matter which one Dropbox or gDocs - though Dropbox would be preferred for easy sync. I am just looking to make sure it saves it somewhere besides my sd card as well.

I am not so worried about the formatting and stuff on the tablet - as long as there is good/easy sync to cloud I can do that on my laptop when finished.

Which one to go for?

skraam

Jul 11, 2010
I'm from Latvia and i wanted toknow, wich onefrom these five can do what i need. I can't buy all of them, so maybe someone can try or already know wich one works with Latvian language.
Original Polaris office can't handle letters like āēēāāšīļņ

funnycreature

Hi there! I am not entirely sure if this is the case but one indication whether your letters (special characters) will be displayed correctly or not might be to look if the Symbol font is displayed correctly in the screenshots.

UPDATE: I checked all Office suites and the characters that I saw looked exactly like the ones shown in your post. Maybe all you have to do is download the correct character set for your keyboard?

I'm from Latvia and i wanted toknow, wich onefrom these five can do what i need. I can't buy all of them, so maybe someone can try or already know wich one works with Latvian language.
Original Polaris office can't handle letters like āēēāāšīļņ

---------- Post added at 01:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 PM ----------

I use Picsel SmartOffice when I want to edit Dropbox documents. No up- and download required :) Not too sure about the others since there have been a few updates but I don't have the time to rewrite the comparison accordingly; my apologies!

Which one of these offers the "best" integration with Dropbox and Google Docs? Polaris requires me to download file from gDocs and then upload new doc while I have to delete original - pain in the rear. Ideally I would like to find one of these programs that when I save a file on the TF it auto uploads/saves in the cloud as well. It does not matter which one Dropbox or gDocs - though Dropbox would be preferred for easy sync. I am just looking to make sure it saves it somewhere besides my sd card as well.

I am not so worried about the formatting and stuff on the tablet - as long as there is good/easy sync to cloud I can do that on my laptop when finished.

Which one to go for?

Last edited:

skraam

Jul 11, 2010
The problem is that letter "a" is smaller than "ā".
It's like letters ir Latvian have differnt FONT than other letters.

lrissman

Oct 3, 2010
So i have tried many (all) the office packages I could find. Is it just me or do none of them support the transformer keyboard in the spreadsheet application such that you can navigate with the arrow keys, the number buttons and the enter key like libreoffice, or excel? This seems to be a rather crticial flaw for me -- having to take my hands off the keyboard during data entry to choose cells, or click an ok button or other such issues slows me down a great deal...
Am I missing something?

Sent from my Transformer TF101

bucketheadmn

Mar 15, 2010

Which one to go for?

In answer to my own question I should have played with Polaris more. Turns out that if you download a file from Dropbox using the Dropbox app and open it with Polaris when you save the file though Polaris it auto-uploads back into Dropbox.

So for easy Dropbox integration just download file using Dropbox app and open using Polaris, then when saving you are saving to cloud and locally in Dropbox folder.

funnycreature

I can use the arrow keys of my keyboard dock for navigating in the spreadsheet app of Polaris.

So i have tried many (all) the office packages I could find. Is it just me or do none of them support the transformer keyboard in the spreadsheet application such that you can navigate with the arrow keys, the number buttons and the enter key like libreoffice, or excel? This seems to be a rather crticial flaw for me -- having to take my hands off the keyboard during data entry to choose cells, or click an ok button or other such issues slows me down a great deal...
Am I missing something?

Sent from my Transformer TF101

funnycreature

Picsel SmartOffice in Google Market

I am confused about this. Sometimes the Transformer is listed as compatible and sometimes it isn't. I had to use a backup to restore the app after I wiped my TF because I could not install it although it shows up as "purchased". Could anyone please check if they have the same problem?
Thanks!

funnycreature

Picsel SmartOffice updated to v 1.9.0

Picsel SmartOffice has been updated to v 1.9.0. Here are the changes according to the developer:

What's in this version:

★ Edit and create autoshapes in PowerPoint presentations.
★ Insert image from camera or gallery, in MS Word documents.
★ Radar charts, Doughnut charts, and more spreadsheet improvements.
★ Improved user experience.
★ N-Up: zoom out to show multiple pages while editing
★ Copy and Paste to the system clipboard
★ Follow hyperlinks in from within documents
★ Visual Explorer enhancements
★ Editing enhancements in Excel
★ Text formatting enhancements
★ Table formatting enhancements in Word

I surely wish I had more time and motivation to update the comparison :( The Office apps finally seem to improve!!!

funnycreature

All comparisons have been updated!!!

All,

I am very happy and excited to announce that I have completely revised the comparison. I have added the long-due Excel comparison table and a third slide for the PowerPoint comparison. I also restructured each comparison to have the original (PC) screenshot for each page/slide first and then the individual office app's screenshot.

I hope this makes the decision for what people should buy even easier!

Enjoy and say thanks if I helped (or buy me a beer or buy my book)!!!!

funnycreature

OfficeSuite Pro free today in Amazon AppStore

Y'all should head over to the Amazon AppStore today and take advantage of this deal! I know it's not a tablet-optimized HD version but it looks OK after a quick glance. Some issues like Documents To Go...

EDIT: After playing around with the OfficeSuite Pro 5 for a few more minutes I decided it's not really worth for me to add it to the comparison. It has no intriguing new features or other benefits over already described apps.

Last edited:

funnycreature

ARGH - Douments to Go and ThinkFree Office just got updated today (10/26)

Bad timing? I just finished the comparison revamp last night just to be greeted with two updates tonight. I will update the comparison over the next week. So far I haven't seen any major improvements though. Stay tuned!

Reactions: Aaberg

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PLEASE NOTE:

I do not have an updated version of Polaris if available since I am running my TF101 on an excellent custom ROM. I also have not found it necessary to update the Documents to Go comparison since the version number increased marginally (and it was never good to begin with).
    I also noticed that some apps might benefit from installing the right fonts into the internal memory into root/fonts. My comparison is based on a stock scenario where no additional fonts have been installed.

Updates
    Here is the UPDATED overview table including the SoftMaker apps (although there is no "umbrella suite" like in the others). Please take some time to go through the features as some have actually improved!

I have also updated the next post (PowerPoint) and the Word comparison with the most recent office suites. Excel to follow soon!

Office_comp_Gen_feat.PNG

I also took a screenshot of the "welcome" screen of each suite:

Documents To Go Market link
    DocumentsToGo_welcome.png

Picsel Smart Office2 Market link
    SmartOffice_welcome.png

QuickOffice Pro HD Market link
    QuickOffice_welcome.png

Polaris Office
    Polaris_welcome.png

ThinkFree Mobile for Tablet Market link
    ThinkFree_welcome.png

OfficeSuite Pro + Market link
    OfficeSuitePro_welcome.png

Kingsoft Office Market link
    Kingsoft_welcome.png

SoftMaker Office Market link
    TextMaker_welcome.png
    Spreadsheet comparison [updated 02/18/2013]

A good spreadsheet can be used for hundreds of purposes: Inventory, checklists, schedules, shopping lists, etc. I think that this is one of the most important reasons to have a powerful mobile computing device! Unfortunately, there are still severe shortcomings with the currently available spreadsheet apps.

Updates
    Here is the UPDATED overview table including the SoftMaker apps (although there is no "umbrella suite" like in the others). Please take some time to go through the features as some have actually improved!

I have also updated the PowerPoint and Word comparison with the most recent office suites.

Here is the overview table for a quick evaluation of some common/important features:

comparison_xlsx.PNG

TEXT AND CELL FORMATS

Original Screenshots from Microsoft Excel 2010
    XLSX_Format_Original.PNG

Screenshot Documents To Go
    XLSX_Format_Docs2Go.png

Screenshot Picsel Smart Office
    XLSX_Format_Picsel.png

Screenshot QuickOffice HD Pro
    (It took forever to open the file and to switch tabs)
    XLSX_Format_QuickOffice.png

Screenshot Polaris Office
    XLSX_Format_Polaris.png

Screenshot ThinkFree
    XLSX_Format_ThinkFree.png

Screenshot PlanMaker
    XLSX_Format_SoftMaker.png

Screenshot OfficeSuite Pro+
    XLSX_Format_OfficeSuite.png

Screenshot Kingsoft Office (taken form 2003 .xls file)
    XLSX_Format_King.png

TEXT AND CELL FORMATS

Original Screenshots from Microsoft Excel 2010
    XLSX_Charts_Original.PNG

(note: this is obviously a montage; the charts are NOT shown and need to be viewed one by one)
    XLSX_Charts_Docs2Go.png

XLSX_Charts_Picsel.png

XLSX_Charts_QuickOffice.png

XLSX_Charts_Polaris.png

Screenshot ThinkFree
    XLSX_Charts_ThinkFree.png

XLSX_Charts_OfficeSuite.png

Screenshot Kingsoft Office (had to use 2003 [.xls] format since .xlsx kept crashing)
    XLSX_Charts_King.png

Screenshot PlanMaker
    XLSX_Charts_SoftMaker.png
    Word comparison [Updated 02/17/2013]

Updates
    Here is the UPDATED comparison table including SoftMaker Presentations. Please take some time to go through the updated features as some have actually improved!

PS: If you like this comparison, hop over to http://www.academia-nutcrackers.com and check out my book on Word 2007!

Here is the overview table for a quick evaluation of some common/important features:

comparison_docx.PNG

PARAGRAPH AND FONT FORMATTING

Original Screenshots from Microsoft Word 2010
    DOCX_Paragraph_Original.png

DOCX_Paragraph_Docs2Go.png

DOCX_Paragraph_Picsel.png

DOCX_Paragraph_QuickOffice.png

DOCX_Paragraph_Polaris.png

Screenshot ThinkFree Office
    DOCX_Paragraph_ThinkFree.png

DOCX_Paragraph_OfficeSuite.png

Screenshot Kingsoft Office
    DOCX_Paragraph_King.png

Screenshot SoftMaker TextMaker
    DOCX_Paragraph_SoftMaker.png

TABLES AND GRAPHICS

DOCX_Table_Original.png

DOCX_Table_Docs2Go.png

DOCX_Table_Picsel.png

DOCX_Table_QuickOffice.png

DOCX_Table_Polaris.png

DOCX_Table_ThinkFree.png

DOCX_Table_OfficeSuite.png

DOCX_Table_King.png

DOCX_Table_SoftMaker.png

LISTS AND TEXT BOX

DOCX_List_Original.png

DOCX_List_Docs2Go.png

DOCX_List_Picsel.png

DOCX_List_QuickOffice.png

DOCX_List_Polaris.png

DOCX_List_ThinkFree.png

DOCX_List_OfficeSuite.png

DOCX_List_King.png

DOCX_List_SoftMaker.png
    PowerPoint comparison [Updated 02/15/2013]

This post is to illustrate the differences in rendering/interpretation of the different Office Suites. The PowerPoint file contains three slides; the first showing the different graphics, the second showing some text formatting, and the third one a table and a graphic with some MS Office 2007+ effects.

Updates
    Here is the UPDATED comparison table including SoftMaker Presentations. Please take some time to go through the updated features as some have actually improved!

comparison_pptX.PNG

IMPORTED GRAPHICS

Original Screenshots from Microsoft PowerPoint 2010
    PPTX_Graphics_Original.PNG

PPTX_Graphic_Docs2Go.png

PPTX_Graphic_Picsel.png

PPTX_Graphic_QuickOffice.png

PPTX_Graphic_Polaris.png

Screenshot ThinkFree
    PPTX_Graphic_ThinkFree.png

Screenshot OfficeSuite Pro
    PPTX_Graphic_OfficeSuite.png

PPTX_Graphic_King.png

Screenshot SoftMaker Presentations
    PPTX_Graphic_SoftMaker.png

TEXT FORMATTING

Original Screenshot from Microsoft PowerPoint 2010:
    PPTX_Text_Original.PNG

PPTX_Text_Docs2Go.png

PPTX_Text_Picsel.png

PPTX_Text_QuickOffice.png

PPTX_Text_Polaris.png

Screenshot ThinkFree
    PPTX_Text_ThinkFree.png

PPTX_Text_OfficeSuite.png

PPTX_Text_King.png

PPTX_Text_SoftMaker.png

TABLES AND EFFECTS

Original Screenshot from Microsoft PowerPoint 2010:
    PPTX_Effects_Original.PNG

PPTX_Effects_Docs2Go.png

PPTX_Effects_Picsel.png

PPTX_Effects_QuickOffice.png

PPTX_Effects_Polaris.png

Screenshot ThinkFree
    PPTX_Effects_ThinkFree.png

PPTX_Effects_OfficeSuite.png

PPTX_Effects_King.png

PPTX_Effects_SoftMaker.png
    Version 3.003 of Documents to Go was released. I haven't done in-depth evaluation yet but judging from the change log and the minimal increase of the version number, I don't expect much of an improvement regarding the short-comings of D2G's functionality.

changes:
    What's in this version:

3.003 (961) 5/19/11
    •Support Desktop Sync on Honeycomb (full version)
    •Improve main UI for Honeycomb
    •Various fixes/improvements -
    Fix registration on Moto Xoom
    Fix hyperlinks in PDF (full version)
    Improve PDF stability (full version)
    Improve overall stability
    Support external SD/USB on Acer A500