Windows Mobile iSCSI Initiator - Connect to your HDD no matter where you are!

Search This thread

cajunflavoredbob

May 1, 2010
Your Basement
I wonder if we all have the same problem. In my Case the Phone does not realy hang well it does but because its waiting for answears from the iSCSI disc. I am about to try out the iStorage Server but under FreeNAS I can see Errors when copying something to the iSCSI Drive. It will eventually finsih but I have to wait and the Errors keep comming until its done with copying. I dont have that if I connect with Windows 7 to the iSCSI Drive. Wonder if I will experience the same with iStorage.

@cajunflavoredbob, regarding the 20 Day Trial if you go to Help > Apply License > You can select Free License to Apply a free license key. Why in your case everything is greyed out I am not sure.

Yea, I figured it would be in the Help menu, but none of the menus work. I've reinstalled the program as well, but nada. The menus aren't really greyed out. They are still able to be clicked, but there is no menu that drops down from any of them. It is really weird. Oh well, I've got at least 20 days to play with it.

swiss420

Jul 15, 2007
www.swiss420.ch
Yea, I figured it would be in the Help menu, but none of the menus work. I've reinstalled the program as well, but nada. The menus aren't really greyed out. They are still able to be clicked, but there is no menu that drops down from any of them. It is really weird. Oh well, I've got at least 20 days to play with it.

Just a thought. Did you try to start the iStorage Server as Administrator?

@Matt_Williams I am getting the same Performance issues when I copy files to a iStorage Server hosted iSCSI disk just like to my FreeNAS Server. Only difference I dont see any entries in the log file with the iStorage Server. Preaty sure we are talking about the same problem though.

istgt[6378]: istgt_iscsi.c:5156:worker: ***ERROR*** iscsi_execute() failed on iqn.2011.swiss420.ch.istgt,t,0x0001(ifn.2006-03.com.kernsafe:mobile,i,0x6b5726e6964)
Is one of the three errors that keep repeating. See last post with screenshot. Is there anyway to enable debuging logs in iStorage Server for better feedback?

Not that important but in the iStorage Server Console I noticed that the automatic startup of the Service and the Console are not in the same menu. Might be nice to be able to deactivate both in case needed without forgetting one.

Last edited:

cajunflavoredbob

May 1, 2010
Your Basement
Just a thought. Did you try to start the iStorage Server as Administrator?

Yep. I have it set so that I'm always in elevated mode, or whatever the heck Windows now calls administrator privileges. I normally use Ubuntu, but I've never actually set up a server on it before. I suppose I'll give that a shot though, since FreeNAS seems to be cross platform. I prefer to stay out of a Windows PC environment as much as possible.

dayznfuz

Jan 1, 2010
Okay, Had time to experiment some more. I hard reset the phone and the Initiator is the only thing installed. Also took my storage computer off the router and connected it directly to the modem to avoid dealing with the router.

I believe the Initiator locking up on startup is probably related to an incorrect IP Portal or one that isn't configured correctly -- ie probably not configuring my router correctly for this. I'm wondering if it looks for the Portals on startup and keeps trying even if it can't find them or can't gain access. I can bootup with 3G once I removed my router. You might want to throw a time out or something on it so it doesn't require a soft reset.

So the good. Excellent over a local WLAN. Fast bootup, connection, and transfer speeds. In this situation, it's an excellent option for remote storage. Absolutely no issues and highly recommended for this purpose.

Edited to add (7/28): I can download like a champion. Uploading from phone to iSCSI target doesn't work at all.

The not so good. 3G is slow. Very slow. With the correct IP Portal address, startup is quick. But it takes several minutes before the iSCSI directory shows up under the file manager (instantaneous over a WLAN). Transfer speeds are pretty slow and spotty as well. Not fast enough to stream music. I tried to transfer a 5 mb file, but at the halfway mark (after 2 minutes or so), it just hung and stopped copying. So, 3G is probably okay to grab documents, but I wouldn't want to try moving any big files.

Over a WiFi connection that's not on my home LAN, I never could get it to work. However, it might be the WiFi network since that particular network (my work) is heavily monitored and restricted.

Edited to add, under the iscsi file (a log?) I get a lot of "Socket connect error" and "Problem connecting to the network". Just a bunch of repeating error #s 2751 and 2741

Last edited:

swiss420

Jul 15, 2007
www.swiss420.ch
@dayznfuz Not sure how you got it to copy stuff without problems. With Windows 7 I can copy to the iscsi disk through wlan without problems but with Kernsafe iSCSI Initiator it takes very long when copying stuff.

iscsi.txt shows repeatedly:

Problem connecting to the network / Socket connect error 2751

I checked the Wireless Network and it runs perfectly. Are you sure dayznfuz that you got it to copy a file over 1 MB without problems to the iSCSI Drive? I am just asking to see if it is worth trying further or if it might be a problem with the KernSafe WinCE iSCSI Initiator

Matt_Williams

Jul 6, 2011
swiss420,

I noted all of your problems with slow performance (even under iStorage Server), error message and temporary freeze at the beginning of connection.
I will try to reproduce those problems and then try to find the cause and eliminate it.
I will post back here as soon as I will know how I can help you.

Not that important but in the iStorage Server Console I noticed that the automatic startup of the Service and the Console are not in the same menu. Might be nice to be able to deactivate both in case needed without forgetting one.

Noted, I will forward this suggestion to ours development team.

cajunflavoredbob,

I'm relief to see that you didn't had any problems setting everything up.
Can you please tell me more information about your network? Also, I already posted earlier things that you could do to determine if it is a hardware or software related issue, can you please check it:

To help you with you low performance problem, you would first need to check if this is software or hardware related.

To determine it, you would need to copy files to your phone using same network (WLAN).

To do it, you can set up a build-in IIS in Windows Server 2003 and 2008. Then you can easily open a website using your phone and download some files from it.
You would need to setup IIS because you would need to download some files locally so you can check the performance of your network using your device.
Using Internet to test it wouldn’t be accurate source of information since then speed of the internet is additional variable.

If you don't know how to set up IIS, please tell on which OS you would like to do it and I can guide you set by step how to do it.

Alternatively you may use other software like XAMPP (http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html) which can be installed on either Windows, Linux or Mac.
Same as with IIS, it will allow you to create a web server from which you may download file.
If you would like me to assist you with XAMPP, please tell me, and I will be glad to help you.

You also said that you are streaming FLAC music files - those are usually pretty big files but you can listen to them without any problems, right? But then when you try to copy 5MB file, it will take you several minutes?

About your iStorage Server problem, I must say I never heard about such issue. Can you tell me which operating system are you using and I assume you have iStorage Server version 2.40?
swiss420 was kind enough to post you information about how to apply free license, so you can just do as he indicated. (I know that you can't access help menu anyway.)
Of course applying free license won't change your ability to open any menu, you will just not be able to create some iSCSI Targets. (It will be fallow by a specific message.)

dayznfuz,

I'm not quite sure if I understand this correctly:

However, the only way I can find to connect to the iSCSI drive is to start a iSCSI connector. So if I want to add files to it from the Desktop that actually hosts the iSCSI drive, it won't let me until I log out of it from the phone.

Do you mean that if you want to add files (on server side) to iSCSI target you are already connected to, you need to disconnect from it first?

A minor hassle, but it'd be nice to have the initiator be built into the server management program and not count as your one connection.

Noted, I will forward this suggestion to ours development team.

I will also ask development team about "Time out" feature so the app won't hang up on you.

I was able to reproduce your two icons problem, it will be removed in next version.
But as for that app installed on device itself, instead of storage card, maybe it was a problem of your rooted phone? Did you had same problem on not rooted version?

You could experience 3G issues because of unstable 3G connection, if it is possible, can you try to check it again in other part of your town, to see if that problem will still be there?
3G support was mainly added for small files - like accessing/saving pictures and documents, it was never meant to operate on big files - it is all because of speed of that network.

When I will know solution for problem that you and swiss420 are experiencing:

I will post back here ASAP.

dayznfuz

Jan 1, 2010
@dayznfuz Not sure how you got it to copy stuff without problems. With Windows 7 I can copy to the iscsi disk through wlan without problems but with Kernsafe iSCSI Initiator it takes very long when copying stuff.

iscsi.txt shows repeatedly:

I checked the Wireless Network and it runs perfectly. Are you sure dayznfuz that you got it to copy a file over 1 MB without problems to the iSCSI Drive? I am just asking to see if it is worth trying further or if it might be a problem with the KernSafe WinCE iSCSI Initiator

Yeah. It worked for me when I was playing around with moving music back and forth. But, at home, I'm never more than about 20 feet from my router, so I've always got a very solid connection. I've noticed that pretty much any disruption in the connection with the initiator results in badness.

@Matt_Williams
The only way to add files from the server side is to connect with a initiator even though it's running from the same computer, though I may be wrong. That counts as 1 connection. So you can't have both a cell phone and the server connected to the iSCSI drive at the same time. A little annoying, but that's it.

Haven't tried it with a nonrooted phone. Oh another piece of weirdness. Once you've initiated a connection of any sort, you can't uninstall the Initiator from the phone anymore.

swiss420

Jul 15, 2007
www.swiss420.ch
@dayznfuz thanks for the feedback. It seems I cant get the same experience. I always get Connect Errors in the log file no matter how good the connection is. The only difference is as worse the connection becomes the more Connection Errors are occuring.

@Matt_Williams, even when I disable Wireless and only use ActiveSync to connect to the iStorage Server running on the same system I get Connection Errors. It did copy a 5.5MB Cab relatively fast but still had three hickups where it stoped copying for a few seconds as seen in the log below.

iscsi.txt Log with direct ActiveSync Connection:

Socket connect error 2751
Problem connecting to the network
Socket connect error 2741
Problem connecting to the network, error code 2741
Virtual memory size is 17170432
Socket connect error 2741
Problem connecting to the network, error code 2741

dayznfuz

Jan 1, 2010
@Swiss420

Addendum to the WLAN situation. I didn't read your post closely enough about uploading to the iSCSI target. I just realized I never tested uploading from the phone to the target. Sorry about that.

I can DOWNLOAD from iSCSI target to my phone just fine. Rate is about 2 mb/s.

UPLOADING a file isn't working correctly at all. For bigger files, I get "Error Code 997. Overlapped I/O operation is in progress". For smaller files, the upload is successful, but it immediately tries to open the file and completely locks the phone.

cajunflavoredbob

May 1, 2010
Your Basement
...snip...

cajunflavoredbob,

I'm relief to see that you didn't had any problems setting everything up.
Can you please tell me more information about your network? Also, I already posted earlier things that you could do to determine if it is a hardware or software related issue, can you please check it:

You also said that you are streaming FLAC music files - those are usually pretty big files but you can listen to them without any problems, right? But then when you try to copy 5MB file, it will take you several minutes?

Most of the FLAC files are about 40MB each or so. They play well for the most part over WLAN, but have the occasional hiccup. MP3 files play without any trouble. Videos play without problem at the specs I listed previously. I loaded all the data onto the isci image drive from the PC, but when I try to copy any file over about 5MB or so, it either takes too long and locks up the device, or it drops the connection to the server and does not copy at all.

About your iStorage Server problem, I must say I never heard about such issue. Can you tell me which operating system are you using and I assume you have iStorage Server version 2.40?
swiss420 was kind enough to post you information about how to apply free license, so you can just do as he indicated. (I know that you can't access help menu anyway.)
Of course applying free license won't change your ability to open any menu, you will just not be able to create some iSCSI Targets. (It will be fallow by a specific message.)

I'm on Windows 7 Professional x64 running iStorage Server x64 2.40.

...snip...

But as for that app installed on device itself, instead of storage card, maybe it was a problem of your rooted phone? Did you had same problem on not rooted version?

Rooted and nonrooted are terms for Android OS, not WM. Every WM user has admin privileges by default in this OS.

Matt_Williams

Jul 6, 2011
swiss420,
We are working on the problem right now, I will post back as soon as we will know what is causing those errors.

dayznfuz,
I see that is a new error. Same as above, we will try to reproduce and eliminate it.

cajunflavoredbob,
That is maybe also connected to the above mentioned errors. When we will have new version ready, I will post back and you may test it again to see if your problem disappeared.

swiss420

Jul 15, 2007
www.swiss420.ch
Any Status Reports on possible updates?

I wonder if someones head is smoking or if the project got dumped. I realy would have loved to see this brighten the Windows Mobile Side of life a little. But luckely I am a optimistic Person so I will keep my Fingers crossed in hopes of some updates.

Matt_Williams

Jul 6, 2011
swiss420,

You don't need to worry. Windows Mobile iSCSI Initiator (WinCE iSCSI Initiator) is under development. We will never drop this product and will continue to develop it. But since it is not our main product, it may get updated a little slower then our current release schedule.

PS. I'm sorry for late reply.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello all!

I would like to tell you that there is an app that allow you to connect to your hard drive whenever you are over WiFi or 3G/4G. Thanks to that you can get huge storage boost (even 2TB) in your Windows Mobile 4.x to 6.x phone. Best thing is, you can do it for free!

First this software is KernSafe WinCE iSCSI Initiator and it works for both, Windows Embedded CE and Windows Mobile. It uses iSCSI technology to attach new storage to your phone. You can connect to your drive using either WiFi or 3G/4G.

It can be used in many different ways:

* Access hard drive when you are not at home
    * Copy data directly from mobile device to backup drive
    * Automatically save pictures from your phone to your hard drive
    * Easily share data with friends that have WinCE iSCSI Initiator installed
    * Stream movies from your hard drive directly to your mobile device

The best way to see it in action is to watch a video tutorial on Youtube.

Finally, you can download this software FOR FREE here:

http://www.kernsafe.com/product/wince-iscsi-initiator.aspx
    swiss420,

You don't need to worry. Windows Mobile iSCSI Initiator (WinCE iSCSI Initiator) is under development. We will never drop this product and will continue to develop it. But since it is not our main product, it may get updated a little slower then our current release schedule.

PS. I'm sorry for late reply.
    I've watched the video and looked into it myself, but the downside to this software seems to be that you need the $99 iStorage software installed on your PC first. I'm sorry, but as amazing as this application is, most users on this site are not going to pay a hundred dollars to have that added storage space when their are several online backup solutions to choose from. I understand that the iStorage Server software is shareware, but that still means that it would still eventually need to have a license purchased.
    FreeNAS and KernSafe WinCE iSCSI Initiator

With this very helpfull hint I imediately tried it out and it works amazingly good. I never used iSCSI before but after reading up on Extends, Targets, and Portals, a quick and dirty setup worked well. I now can define as many disks I want. For the test I set up a 500MB Disk. That said there are still a couple of things I have to look into. Right now its setup for a local target via WLAN. Copying a MP3 of 3.3MB took about a minute where the device was responding poorly. Once it was on the iSCSI drive I wanted to listen to the MP3 and double clicked on it. After 20 to 30 seconds it started playing it without interruptions. I wonder if the delay is soly based on the bandwidth or if there are things I could do too improve the speed. An 200KB text file can be copied and opend without delay.

Edit: Speed seemed to be related to a very old HDD. Will leave more reliable benchmarks and experience in a later post.

Things to figure out:

Wireless connectivity in Standby
    Backup for KernSafe iSCSI Initiator
    MPIO Multipathing Support for iSCSI
    Secure Worldwide Access (iSCSI with CHAP authentication through a SSH Tunnel)
    Writeout Clear instructions on how to set up everything. (The posibilities are very complex)
    PIMBackup iSCSI drive as Target through 3G

Server Software used:

FreeNAS v7 (http://www.freenas.org/)
    KernSafe WinCE iSCSI Initiator (http://www.kernsafe.com/download/WinCE-iSCSI-initiator1.0.zip)

Screenshots:

Screenshot1.jpgScreenshot2.jpgScreenshot3.jpgScreenshot4.jpgScreenshot5.jpgScreenshot6.jpg
    I've watched the video and looked into it myself, but the downside to this software seems to be that you need the $99 iStorage software installed on your PC first. I'm sorry, but as amazing as this application is, most users on this site are not going to pay a hundred dollars to have that added storage space when their are several online backup solutions to choose from. I understand that the iStorage Server software is shareware, but that still means that it would still eventually need to have a license purchased.

You are not entirely correct. iStorage Server, as you will see on the licensing page here http://www.kernsafe.com/product/istorage-server/license-compares.aspx, have also a free version available. That means you don't need to purchase it, in order to use it after the trial period is expired.

In other words, after installing trial version, you may either choose to use it in unlimited form for 20 days and then change it to limited free version, or immediately apply free license to it after installation.

NOTE:
    Free version of iStorage Server allow you to create one iSCSI target which is sufficient to use all Mobile iSCSI Initiator features. Therefore using app itself even with iStorage Server is completely free.