[Q] Samsung Galaxy xCover S5690 ROOT

Search This thread

uhugyorgy

Feb 14, 2010
Root explore

What about root explorer?
What version i can install,Idownloaded the latest version and not working.
Can you help me?:):)

---------- Post added at 12:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 PM ----------

My firmware is GINGERBREAD.XXLA1
official.alkon@androide#37

---------- Post added at 01:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

Sorry .Root explorer working 2.7 version

tlc76

Dec 8, 2006
Bucharest
You should be able to install the market version of Root Explorer and it should work whether the phone is rooted or not. The only difference is that with a rooted phone you can access the root (/) filesystem and all other locations where only the root user has access.
Do you see the Superuser app in the Applications menu?

Reactions: muhlui

xenux55

Jan 18, 2012
To tlc76
I have to Android system recovery 3e

The error that comemuot while rotting is :

E: unknow volume for path [ /dbda
ta]

-- Apling Muti-CSC --
-- Install /sdcard ...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Installing update...
Installation aborder.

xenux55

Jan 18, 2012
somebody can put rotting file in other place ( non depositfile).
Thanks!

Last edited:

uhugyorgy

Feb 14, 2010
The root is working .I want to copy the bml15 file to unblock orange

---------- Post added at 01:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

tlc76 if you want to add me in contact list Im from Romania

falleze

Feb 13, 2012
Answers

It seems that you have a newer fw version (LA6 = 2012 january build #6). I have KL3 (that is 2011 december build #3). But it should make no difference. Only the recovery program can possibly affect the install process. My Xcover came with the "Android system recovery 3e" version installed (check the top line of text while in recovery).

Please post the error messages that you encounter while installing the update.

Multumesc/thanks!

No need to rename the Universal_GB_ROOT_v5_patched_for_S5690.zip to update.zip (at least in my case).

TO ALL:
- in order to access the standard recovery program that came with the phone, you can fire up an "adb reboot recovery" command with the phone connected via micro-usb cable AND the "USB debugging" option enabled;
- I've also applied the UNROOT update and it also worked: the root access was removed (sqlite3, su*, sh, busybox and the Superuser.apk were removed) .

EDIT: I rooted AND IT WORKED!! Now I'm answering my own questions for all other people here :)

Thanks to tlc76 for uploading the file and helping us to root it out :)
I haven't personally (yet) tried to root my Xcover S-5690 phone, but taking a quick look I had same firmware with you and so on, so I can't wait to getting my phone rooted!

I have previously tried rooting with few kits but this Universal GB Root is new to me. Now I'm currently figuring out how to apply this root, since it doesn't have any .bat (or simpler .exe) files at all. I couldn't find anything by searching this Universal GB Root kit on Google nor Android Market. I'm not that familiar with rooting so could you PLEAASEEE=) give me more detail instructions on "How to apply this root - for dummies?"

Now it ain't that simple that I just throw these files on my phone, right? o_O

TL;DR - How to apply this Root kit?

EDIT: Answer

Simply place the .zip file provided by tlc76 on your SD-card - no matter where, I placed it to "downloads" folder.
Then, enter the recovery mode, and select "apply update from SD-card" or something similar - go to the folder where your .zip file is, navigating with volume buttons and using home key as an "enter", and just select the file and press your "home" key.

Also two bonus questions:

How to enter the Recovery/Boot menu on Xcover?? My friend's Gio has the simple "Power button & Home button down, and release power button after it boots" and it's fairly simple. This, or any other (like volume up key) hasn't worked for me :S and since Xcover is fairly new phone and it doesn't have sub-forums here, I haven't found alot of information on that.

I could only enter to recovery menu by installing first Java SDK, then Android SDK, and then following guide at wiki.cyanogenmod.com - how to install the Android SDK (yeah, giving the right parameters @control panel actually IS quite confusing) step by step until step 10, and after that I opened my windows command-shell (type cmd to your windows search bar on Win7) and then I typed simple line: adb reboot recovery

And damn me - it worked! It rebooted to recovery menu and I installed this root .zip file from there :)

And the second question:
"You can fire up an "adb reboot recovery" command with the phone connected via micro-usb cable AND the "USB debugging" option enabled;"

Where can I enter that command? On Windows CMD-prompt?

See the previous answer.

Thanks for reading my post and I hope it clarifies the rooting process on Samsung Xcover GT-S5690 - I rooted it with .zip file by tlc76, and IT WORKS!! And a special thanks for tlc76, give his user a big thanks so he gets his status up, his .zip file really worked!

Last edited:

.Cesar

Jun 4, 2009
The bitter taste of failure is in my mouth :(

Info:
baseband: S5690XXKL1
kernel: 2.6.35.7 official.alkon@androide #23
version number: GINGERBREAD.XXKL1
bootloader: Android System Recovery <3e>
CSC: ?

Procedure:
1- Downloaded Universal_GB_ROOT_v5_patched_for_S5690.zip
2- Copied on the SD card (tried also to rename to update.zip)
3- Reboot by using "adb reboot recovery"
4- Install update from SD

The installation process terminate with a success, however after rebooting it doesn't looks rooted. (su, sudo: permission denied; ROM Manager say NO)

Am I doing it in the right way ?

Things I noticed (probably useless):
- Error when the bootloader fires up: "E: unknow volume for path [ /dbda
ta]"
- The progress bar never reach the end.
It jumps from about ##============ straight to "Congratulations"

Do you have any idea ?

In the meantime, thank you guys for your efforts :)

--- UPDATES (but no root) ---

I updated the software twice, now I have:

baseband: S5690XXKLA2
kernel: 2.6.35.7 official.alkon@androide #45
version number: GINGERBREAD.XXKLA6

I wiped the phone and repeated the procedure all over.
Same result: I got the superuser app installed but the "su" binary is not there :(

Last edited:

donbarlone

Aug 9, 2010
thanks tlc76, i get it rooted , i have version XXLA1 , so it works on it.

To tlc76 and uhugyorgy
Do you managed to modify those files to unlock Sim? i have also Orange blocked SIM.

uhugyorgy

Feb 14, 2010
For .cesar

Free space on phone memory !!

Try without sdcard !!

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 PM ----------

Do you managed to modify those files to unlock Sim? i have also Orange blocked SIM.

We work on it :)

---------- Post added at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 PM ----------

Sorry format sd card and put the zip file,How many space you have free on phone memory ? to cesar !

.Cesar

Jun 4, 2009
For .cesar

Free space on phone memory !!

Try without sdcard !!

Sorry format sd card and put the zip file,How many space you have free on phone memory ? to cesar !

Well, I got the phone shipped today and the very first thing I've done was looking for rooting... I don't use a phone as guest :D

anyway, I format the SD, just to make sure, now I have 124mb of internal memory and 15GB on the SD :)

Same result :(

tlc76

Dec 8, 2006
Bucharest
The bitter taste of failure is in my mouth :(

Info:
baseband: S5690XXKL1
kernel: 2.6.35.7 official.alkon@androide #23
version number: GINGERBREAD.XXKL1
bootloader: Android System Recovery <3e>
CSC: ?

Procedure:
1- Downloaded Universal_GB_ROOT_v5_patched_for_S5690.zip
2- Copied on the SD card (tried also to rename to update.zip)
3- Reboot by using "adb reboot recovery"
4- Install update from SD

The installation process terminate with a success, however after rebooting it doesn't looks rooted. (su, sudo: permission denied; ROM Manager say NO)

Am I doing it in the right way ?

Things I noticed (probably useless):
- Error when the bootloader fires up: "E: unknow volume for path [ /dbda
ta]"
- The progress bar never reach the end.
It jumps from about ##============ straight to "Congratulations"

Do you have any idea ?

In the meantime, thank you guys for your efforts :)

--- UPDATES (but no root) ---

I updated the software twice, now I have:

baseband: S5690XXKLA2
kernel: 2.6.35.7 official.alkon@androide #45
version number: GINGERBREAD.XXKLA6

I wiped the phone and repeated the procedure all over.
Same result: I got the superuser app installed but the "su" binary is not there :(

First of all, verify that your downloaded copy of Universal_GB_ROOT_v5_patched_for_S5690.zip is consistent. Use WinZip, 7Zip or any other archive manager to accomplish that.
If the archive is complete/uncorrupted, try to revert to an older fw version (such as XXKL1 or XXKL3), although I'm almost positive that this won't help. Here is a list of available stock firmwares for the S5690: http://www.mod2xtreme.com/showthread.php?p=49042
You should be able to install a new fw using Odin, but I don't know if there is any step-by-step procedure available on the internet. You'll have to dig for it yourself...

I also have the following messages when accessing the recovery program (please note the spelling errors on the Appling Muti -CSC line :D:D):

Code:
E:unknown volume for path [/dbdata]

-- Appling Muti -CSC --
multicsc : scr /system/csc/ORL/system/ .

thanks tlc76, i get it rooted , i have version XXLA1 , so it works on it.

To tlc76 and uhugyorgy

We are working on it. The problem is that the contents of the bml filesystems for the Galaxy Xcover S5690 are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT than any other documented Samsung Galaxy models (Ace, Gio, Fit, Galaxy-Mini etc). The image of the /dev/block/bml5 filesystem is only 768KB long and it contains only FFs (255 in decimal).

Last edited:
Reactions: mano42

.Cesar

Jun 4, 2009
I tested the zips, everything looks fine.

Still not working, but now I know what's wrong... doesn't mean I know how to fix it :)

package_extract_dir("system", "/system");

It's supposed to copy those files, however in my case it does it partially:

/system/app/Superuser.apk (OK)
/system/xbin/busybox (196k out of 809k)
/system/xbin/sqlite3 (Missing)
/system/xbin/su-v1 (Missing)
/system/xbin/su-v2 (Missing)
/system/xbin/su-v3 (Missing)
/system/xbin/su (Missing)
/system/xbin/sh (Missing)

... and apparently it fails silently :(

Looks like it's out of space, but if I check the internal memory and looks free enough (>130mb), the only possible idea I have is /system is a partition by itself, is that possible ?

Actually /system/app is full of apps, i see also a lot of preinstalled junks, should I clean it up ?

-- UPDATE --

/system is a partition and mine is complitely full 238mb out of 238mb :(

Is it good idea to write a script (i'm not a modder, I'm going to use UNROOT as base) to remove some bundled **** ?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've finally managed to root the son of a *****! I used the Universal GB Root kit but with a small modification: I've added the GT-S5690 phone model to the getprop statements at the beginning of the file "META-INF\com\google\android\updater-script" assuming that it should work as well on this Samsung model. Well... it did work!

Here is the patched version of Universal GB Root:
    Universal_GB_ROOT_v5_patched_for_S5690.zip
    Mirror:
    http://uploading.com/files/8m63916d/Universal_GB_ROOT_v5_patched_for_S5690.zip/

Here is the code (in red) that I've added to the "META-INF\com\google\android\updater-script":
    Code:
           getprop("ro.product.product") == "GT-B7510"[COLOR="Red"] ||
           getprop("ro.product.device") == "GT-S5690" ||
           getprop("ro.build.product") == "GT-S5690"[/COLOR]
           );

Please post some feedback here, whether you succeed or not to root the phone using this workaround. I will let StoneBoyTony know about this, so he can integrate it in the official release of the Universal GB Root tool, if the solution proves to be stable and usable (so far I am the first to confirm that it works).

Regards,
    Cristian
    Hello , to get into recovery mode i tried this :

- press volume up, home button and power, then release power button and keep the rest until recovery mode appears.
    Tried so far (without success):
    zergRush -> failure (operation not permitted)
    DooMLoRD_v3_ROOT-zergRush-busybox-su -> failure
    SuperOneClick v2.3.3 -> failure
    adb reboot recovery (stock recovery), install update from sdcard, Universal_GB_ROOT.zip -> failure

My S5690 is running Android 2.3.6
    baseband: S5690XXKL3
    kernel: 2.6.35.7 official.alkon@androide #25
    version number: GINGERBREAD.XXKL3
    CSC: S5690OXFKL2
    simlocked on: orange romania

Please help!
    My intention is to actually remove the SIM lock, but I need access to nv_data.bin in order to search for the unlock code.

Regards.
    Patched it to make it work on Latin American version (S5690L)

This will also work on S5690.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15110285/Universal_GB_ROOT_v5_patched_for_S5690L.zip
    Mirror: http://uploading.com/files/8m63916d/Universal_GB_ROOT_v5_patched_for_S5690.zip/

xenux55: most likely you have an incomplete file. Please test it on your PC using WinZip/7Zip or any other archive manager BEFORE you try to install it via the phone's recovery interface.

uhugyorgy: are you sure that bml15 is the file in charge with the sim lock on Galaxy Xcover S5690 phone model?