How to Update Android on Unlocked AT&T S3 I747 for MetroPCS/TMobile

Search This thread

edo101

Oct 26, 2013
Hey guys so I decide to get the SGH-147 AT&T S3 off of ebay for MetroPCS which enabled me to get a 2 year squaretrade warranty. After looking back at it now, I feel it might have been a bad idea since Metro has a MIR 349.99 deal for their S3 version which would mean easier android update since it would be on Metro servers if I'm not mistaken. Anyway I can't return the ebay phone now unless there is some software or hardware problems within 30 days

So my problem
I am stuck on 4.1.1 on Kies and when I check for update, because the phone is based on AT&T servers, it won't work since I'm on Metro. I wanted to see if there is anyway for me to update my phone to 4.3 which is the current version. Although, I've heard some people have 4.3 problems?

If that's not advisable, could y'all tell me how I could atleast get to Android 4.1.2? Also is there a 4.4 update in the works?
I just got the phone today and would like to be running on something better than 4.1.1

should I flash the AT&T phone to a MetroPCS ROM lol, if any of those are actually available, or if I were to flash, should I flash it to Tmobile?

Last edited:

Perseus

Retired Senior Moderator / Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
First off, if its I747, you MUST flash only those Roms. No others. Now, that's indeed a nice phone with LTE Antenna.

You really heard correct. The 4.3 upgrade from the carrier (ATT for you) /Samsung has a lot of issues. I wouldn't do it for any reason. Particularly on T-Mo network, you will have severe signal issues as reported by others. In addition, it now flashes an EFuse onto your phone along with locked bootloader and other scary stuff.I really would not do it.

Lastly, XDA is organized by devices. So even though you are a T-Mo/Metro PCS customer, you will have to post on AT&T SGS3 forum over there.

Speaking of Rom update, Please visit Root66 Thread for this device. You will find Rooted version of your Current Rom. Dunno why but he does not have 4.2.x for you. Please do your research someone else must have posted it.

Now speaking to 4.3, yes there is a way to get 4.3 on your phone without the issues I mentioned above. But first you will have to flash a Custom recovery such as CWM or TWRP with the help of ODIN on your phone. Again do your research well. Once those are in place, take a look at this thread. It will provide 4.3 experience without ANY concerns or issues. Read it carefully and then read some more. Good Luck.

edo101

Oct 26, 2013
First off, if its I747, you MUST flash only those Roms. No others. Now, that's indeed a nice phone with LTE Antenna.

You really heard correct. The 4.3 upgrade from the carrier (ATT for you) /Samsung has a lot of issues. I wouldn't do it for any reason. Particularly on T-Mo network, you will have severe signal issues as reported by others. In addition, it now flashes an EFuse onto your phone along with locked bootloader and other scary stuff.I really would not do it.

Lastly, XDA is organized by devices. So even though you are a T-Mo/Metro PCS customer, you will have to post on AT&T SGS3 forum over there.

Speaking of Rom update, Please visit Root66 Thread for this device. You will find Rooted version of your Current Rom. Dunno why but he does not have 4.2.x for you. Please do your research someone else must have posted it.

Now speaking to 4.3, yes there is a way to get 4.3 on your phone without the issues I mentioned above. But first you will have to flash a Custom recovery such as CWM or TWRP with the help of ODIN on your phone. Again do your research well. Once those are in place, take a look at this thread. It will provide 4.3 experience without ANY concerns or issues. Read it carefully and then read some more. Good Luck.

THANK YOU! Looks like I got a lot of phone work to do over the weekend. SO do you think it was good/should I stick with this AT&T S3 or should I try to sell it for a discount and buy a Metro PCS S3? The ebay buyer won't take my phone back unless there is a hardware or software problem inherent to phone...unless I fake one ?:confused:

Last edited:

Perseus

Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
If it was me, I'd keep the phone. Metro's S3 does not have LTE Antenna. You'd have been stuck at lower speeds.

serio22

Jul 1, 2012
Houston
If it was me, I'd keep the phone. Metro's S3 does not have LTE Antenna. You'd have been stuck at lower speeds.

Metro's s3 does have lte

As for the OP you can flash at&t or T-Mobile ROMs it really doesn't matter because they are backwards compatible (I have done it) and you can flash 4.3 ROMs if you don't want to take the official 4.3 update which you can easily do with Odin without the need for kies or ota.. Now, I suggest the first thing you do is flash a custom recovery and then experiment with 4.3 ROMs, if you keep having problems flash 4.1.2 roms.. There are some things you need to do though to get 4.3 up and running so I suggest you read up on it first. Good luck my friend!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Perseus

Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
It was my impression he wanted Stock Touchwiz Roms not AOSP.

Thanks for letting me know Metro has T999L