[Q] Spare part : sim reader

Search This thread

rahan95

Aug 30, 2006
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
Hello,

Some days are better than others...

I managed to break several of the small metal pins in the sim reader, don't ask me how but I did it =(

I unmounted the phone and it's really just a small circuit board linked to the motherboard with a single ribbon

I have googled for where to find this spare part but no chance so far

Would you know where I could find this part and help me revive my Nexus S ?

Thanks for your help

cadumg

Mar 19, 2011
Did you find a solution ? My sim card reader (or sim card tray) is broken too and I can't find the replacement part to buy...

Last edited:

DKYang

Mar 19, 2009
Couldn't you guys just do a warranty claim? It shouldn't break that easily unless you were messing with it.

rahan95

Aug 30, 2006
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
I can't claim warranty since it's "customer induced damage" : needed to insert my sim card into an Ipad. Not willing to lose my micro sim adapter, I put it in the Nexus S without a sim in an tore the pins when taking it out

Moreover, I live in Europe and Samsung has after-sales per region, if not country. they would'nt accept an US purchased handset anyway.

Didn't find any trace of this spare part on any other site but globaldirectpart and it's still showing as "Coming soon"....

cadumg

Mar 19, 2011
I am in Brazil and the phone hasn't arrived in here so Samsung Brasil don't touch it.... despite the fact that they are going to say that this is not covered by warranty.

I did not find anywhere else too...

DKYang

Mar 19, 2009
How about insurance then? But I'm assuming you don't have that either or can't.

Good luck to finding the part though. Globaldirectpart seems to have a tendency of inflating price.

rahan95

Aug 30, 2006
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
How about insurance then? But I'm assuming you don't have that either or can't.

Good luck to finding the part though. Globaldirectpart seems to have a tendency of inflating price.

Don't have any insurance for my phones and it wouldn't work either cos I damaged the phone myself =)

I don't really mind the price since it would cost me about 50 euros including shipping due to the exchange rate between $ and €. Just missing my phone a lot and tired of waiting =)

CB620

Jan 6, 2009

cadumg

Mar 19, 2011
Yep! We still waiting for the replacement part to be available... I read about a guy that replaced it with a Galaxy S part... but I did not figure out how.

Last edited:

cadumg

Mar 19, 2011
Yes, me too... that's why I love Apple and my iPhone... Samsung sucks... If I find it anywhere I will post it. I will try to find some more information about replacing it with Galaxy S part.

ogxjason15

Feb 3, 2008
update

Anyone have an update on this? I just broke one of the pins inside the sim tray as well....I am unable to find the parts anywhere online. This is driving me nuts....I'll even pay to repair it!

uansari1

Jul 27, 2008
Karachi
How did you break yours? I can see the op breaking his with an empty micro sim adapter, but if this is breaking from normal usage, that's not good..

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

cadumg

Mar 19, 2011
Not yet. I've read that it is possible to replace it with the Galaxy S sim tray. I've bought one and I am waiting it to arrive. I should have it in one week.

It seems that this sim tray is not good at all...

cadumg

Mar 19, 2011
Bad News! The Galaxy S connector is different from the Nexus S one. Look at the picture:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I believe that the guy who changed it, changed only the sim part, keeping the "sim board" the same... I don't know how to do it, I will try to find out, if anyone know, please help me.

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
if you read the post carefully, the guy did say sim tray, you can use most sim tray, as long as the pins are position 3+3 at each sides, but you must know how to solder/desolder.

cadumg

Mar 19, 2011
Do you know how do I do it ? I know how to solder/desolder, but I don't know exactly what should I do.

Here is a picture of the Galaxy S Sim Tray. Should I desolder this points marked by the red arrow (and off course in the oposite side) and sold it to the Nexus S board ? Is the sim tray just fixed by this solded points ?

Reactions: kms108

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I will try to buy any sim tray and replace on my board.

Here is a picture of my board (I really screwed it removing the sim tray). My doubt is, in the board, it has only the 3+3 pins ? Because in the sides (in yellow arrows) the sim tray was fixed to the board. My doubt is, there is a circuit track in there or they are just to fix the sim tray to the board (with some kind of glue) ?

I tired of globaldirectparts too... but worse than that is Samsung that hasn't the replacement part...

the sim only requires the 3*3 solder pins
    September 1, 2012 UPDATE

*WARNING* DON'T USE MICRO SIMS WITH SIM ADAPTERS! THIS CAN AND WILL HAPPEN TO YOU TOO!

Just happened to me as i removed my micro sim with sim adapter. Broke one of the pins off.

Got threw reading the whole thread. Tried the tin-foil trick and it works! Get a small little piece of tin-foil about the size of the missing pin and place it over the missing pin contact point and put the sim card in and it should pick up signal again! If it doesn't maybe the foil moved while sliding the sim card in. Try again.

This is a temporary fix and should be used just to get you by for a while.

I found the replacement part here and placed my order. It will be coming from China, so its good to use the tinfoil trick while you wait for the part to arrive in the mail.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190710339483?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:BIN&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2650

Found this easy dissasembly guide here. Use this to replace the sim tray once it arrives.

http://youtu.be/dYB5wiFFIno

Requires a philips screw driver and about 10 minutes of time. Pretty easy DIY Repair. Costs about 25-30$
    Do you know how do I do it ? I know how to solder/desolder, but I don't know exactly what should I do.

Here is a picture of the Galaxy S Sim Tray. Should I desolder this points marked by the red arrow (and off course in the oposite side) and sold it to the Nexus S board ? Is the sim tray just fixed by this solded points ?
    Ok guys, i too have broken 1 pin from the sim tray, and i got some tin foil and placed it where the missing pin was and slid my sim card in and it worked. If it works for you please reply. if you need a picture please reply.
    I dont have 8 posts so i cant link you to the picture... so if you go to my albums the picture will be there!