[Q] Note 3 user heavily considering Z Ultra

Search This thread

KeikiNYC011

Jan 20, 2014
Poi25
Is sound settings , there will be the clear Audio +
You need to un check the box and when you do another option below it will appear, select sound enhancements and equalier will appear and select settings. From this point there will be for options available, the one you need to select is XLOUD and check the box. Head back to the first option and select Clear Audio+ again by checking the box. And you're. Done

Sent from my C6833 using xda app-developers app

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
Yeah, xLOUD will increase the external speaker by around 200% (or so i read), but you'll quickly notice the difference once you enable it. You can find it by opening the Walkman app and going to sound settings. Play a song while you enable it so you can hear the difference.

dimex

Nov 28, 2012
Poi25
Is sound settings , there will be the clear Audio +
You need to un check the box and when you do another option below it will appear, select sound enhancements and equalier will appear and select settings. From this point there will be for options available, the one you need to select is XLOUD and check the box. Head back to the first option and select Clear Audio+ again by checking the box. And you're. Done

I think Clear Audio+ and EQ/xLOUD don't affect one another, hence the reason selecting one grays out the other. At least I have noticed no change between Clear Audio+ with or without xLOUD selected. Clear Audio+ seems to apply a Sony preselected EQ/compression.

Yeah, xLOUD will increase the external speaker by around 200% (or so i read), but you'll quickly notice the difference once you enable it. You can find it by opening the Walkman app and going to sound settings. Play a song while you enable it so you can hear the difference.

I do notice a difference between xLOUD vs non xLOUD, but still, it's quite a bit quieter than the Galaxy Note 3. I guess the Note 3 has a better speaker in it.

None of you honestly think the speaker is far too quiet?

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
I think Clear Audio+ and EQ/xLOUD don't affect one another, hence the reason selecting one grays out the other. At least I have noticed no change between Clear Audio+ with or without xLOUD selected. Clear Audio+ seems to apply a Sony preselected EQ/compression.

I do notice a difference between xLOUD vs non xLOUD, but still, it's quite a bit quieter than the Galaxy Note 3. I guess the Note 3 has a better speaker in it.

None of you honestly think the speaker is far too quiet?

Mine is "too loud" to be perfectly honest. It's brutally loud when I max it out. I always disable xLOUD at night when I'm watching stuff on it.

Sent from my old Desire HD using Morse code

dimex

Nov 28, 2012
Mine is "too loud" to be perfectly honest. It's brutally loud when I max it out. I always disable xLOUD at night when I'm watching stuff on it.

And you're talking about the sound through the speaker? If so, either you got some dainty ears, or I have a bunk new ZU.

I read in a few threads that volume was increased with update. In case this is necessary information, I purchased the C6833 (was that the right decision?) and I've done nothing with it yet so it's fully stock, unrooted 4.2.2 Build number 14.1.B.1.510.

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
And you're talking about the sound through the speaker? If so, either you got some dainty ears, or I have a bunk new ZU.

I read in a few threads that volume was increased with update. In case this is necessary information, I purchased the C6833 (was that the right decision?) and I've done nothing with it yet so it's fully stock, unrooted 4.2.2 Build number 14.1.B.1.510.

Yeah, the speaker. The C6833 is the international version and it's the same one that I have. I can't really say if it's loud for you or other people, but it's not close to being quiet, and it's loud for me. The whole device shakes when I play games, like holding a mini boom blaster.

dimex

Nov 28, 2012
Yeah, the speaker. The C6833 is the international version and it's the same one that I have. I can't really say if it's loud for you or other people, but it's not close to being quiet, and it's loud for me. The whole device shakes when I play games, like holding a mini boom blaster.

I think I may have a defective unit. Of course I do, I wouldn't expect anything else! What build number are you running?

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
I think I may have a defective unit. Of course I do, I wouldn't expect anything else! What build number are you running?

290. I don't have it right now though, since it's being repaired. I had some screen issues.

But again, the volume isn't low for me, but it might be for you, but mine is properly loud - to my ears at least.

Could you borrow a phone from a friend or family member and install a decibel meter app from the Play Store or App Store and check what you get from like a feet away?

dimex

Nov 28, 2012
290. I don't have it right now though, since it's being repaired. I had some screen issues.

But again, the volume isn't low for me, but it might be for you, but mine is properly loud - to my ears at least.

Could you borrow a phone from a friend or family member and install a decibel meter app from the Play Store or App Store and check what you get from like a feet away?

Good call. I didn't even think of using a meter. At exactly 1ft away (measured with tape measured), the highest I could get it with hard rock song was 74 dB.

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
Good call. I didn't even think of using a meter. At exactly 1ft away (measured with tape measured), the highest I could get it with hard rock song was 74 dB.

Alright, not too bad since GSM Arena got 68 dB or something around that. 74 should be around the same as the iPhone.

I can't measure mine yet since I don't have it, but I'll probably get it back if a few days, so I'll check it out then.

It would be cool if more people here could measure their Ultras too. Just give us the name of the app/tool you used :)

dimex

Nov 28, 2012
Alright, not too bad since GSM Arena got 68 dB or something around that. 74 should be around the same as the iPhone.

I can't measure mine yet since I don't have it, but I'll probably get it back if a few days, so I'll check it out then.

It would be cool if more people here could measure their Ultras too. Just give us the name of the app/tool you used :)

Ya, but I think this is all very variable, and not very reliable. Turning around and using the app on the ZU to measure the Note 3, which is definitely MUCH louder than the ZU, gave me a maximum reading of 54 dB. Not possible.

system02

Jun 11, 2010
The speaker of the Z, Z1 and Ultra is like most Sony phone speakers: Crap!!!
It has nothing to do with the speaker being waterproof. Have a look at the old Xperia active or those Samsung B Series outdoor phones. Their speakers are much louder and fuller sounding than those tiny audio signals from the Z series. It's embarrassing when the "Best of Sony" sounds mich worse than "Middleclass of Sony" ;) But beside that and the horrific Wife problems I'm starting to like the device after 5 days of use. But if the Wife problem persists I have to exchange it.

Reactions: LordManhattan

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Is the low speaker quality due to the waterproof feature? If I use a high quality headphone, will the sound quality be higher?

Is there any way to make the palm rejection works?

Enable xLOUD in the equalizer. It'll boost the volume.

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk
    iPhone user heavily consider XZU...
    Proof...
    zure5ate.jpg

Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk
    The speaker of the Z, Z1 and Ultra is like most Sony phone speakers: Crap!!!
    It has nothing to do with the speaker being waterproof. Have a look at the old Xperia active or those Samsung B Series outdoor phones. Their speakers are much louder and fuller sounding than those tiny audio signals from the Z series. It's embarrassing when the "Best of Sony" sounds mich worse than "Middleclass of Sony" ;) But beside that and the horrific Wife problems I'm starting to like the device after 5 days of use. But if the Wife problem persists I have to exchange it.
    You can play with the settings all you'd like, but in low light situations picture results are less than to be desired (garbage may have been a little harsh :) ). I would have kept the Z Ultra Google Play Edition, but having kids and owning a restaurant, having a better camera than the Z Ultra was a must for me. Z Ultra is my all time favorite phone, but that camera made me mental. If taking pictures isn't a priority for you the the Z Ultra is pure win. If you count on good pics or an LED flash daily then you're S.O.L with the Ultra. Just saying. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Problem is to me, if taking picture is a priority then you get a REAL camera..so for me picture taking priority and phone camera are not terms that go together. ;)
    Also, a tiny flash for low light photography is for me as crappy as a grainy low quality image. Both suck big time..that why we have real cameras with big sensors if photography is really that important.
    Just my 2 cents
    And like I said, test them..I did MANY times with many apps...manual ISO on .290 roms is a LOT cleaner. But yeah neither can touch a real camera as should be expected.
    Regards
    Maybe I'll get a galaxy zoom lol. Idk. The Note 3 and LG G2 take really nice pics. I don't need professional quality, but decent pics to share and what not. Now stop arguing with me lol j/k :p

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Okok I get carried away when it comes to photography :D

Sent from the Mighty Xperia Z Ultra using XDA Premium HD app.