Rooting, themes and more..

Search This thread

Blakebn2012

Feb 29, 2012
Hi guys, I was looking at rooting my phone. However there are some issues I have with it that hopefully you guys can rectify.
  1. How can I update?
  2. What is the most popular rom?
  3. Is it worth rooting?

My main reason for rooting is getting rid of the bloatware from samsung and optus on my phone. I also want to customize Nova launcher with icon themes but I can do that without a root. What other things can I do with my phone with a root?

Is rooting hard? And how do I backup my phone before I do it? Searching around on here I came across an app called Titanium Backup but you have to be rooted to backup with that?
There is so many more questions I want to ask, but I will leave it at this for now.
Thank you!

Last edited:

TheATHEiST

Sep 29, 2008
Hull
Samsung Galaxy S9+
Samsung Galaxy S21
Can anyone please help me?

Bumping your topic after a couple of house inst going help. Could just end up getting topic closed/deleted. This is not your phones tech support desk and nobody here owes you an answer so when you create a topic be patient. Also not putting "help me please" as topic title would help, just be precise and descriptive about what topic is about.

To answer questions..

1. You flash rom through custom recovery.
2. There is no such thing as a "best" rom and asking this question is against rules.
3. Yes.

I would highly recommend you do some reading/research.

Blakebn2012

Feb 29, 2012
Bumping your topic after a couple of house inst going help. Could just end up getting topic closed/deleted. This is not your phones tech support desk and nobody here owes you an answer so when you create a topic be patient. Also not putting "help me please" as topic title would help, just be precise and descriptive about what topic is about.

To answer questions..

2. There is no such thing as a "best" rom and asking this question is against rules.
3. Yes.

I would highly recommend you do some reading/research.

Bumping your topic after a couple of house inst going help.
Desperate times call for desperate measures :rolleyes:
However yes I agree, I was excited by the prospect of rooting my new phone.

This is not your phones tech support desk and nobody here owes you an answer so when you create a topic be patient.
I know no one here owes me an answer, just because you have a lot of posts does not allow you to make the rules around here. I contribute to these forums as well, I was just hoping for some friendly help.
Obviously someone didn't get any of their mum last night :laugh:

Also not putting "help me please" as topic title would help, just be precise and descriptive about what topic is about.
Changed.

3. Yes.

1) I can do this through Odin correct?

2) Ok, what is the most popular rom?

3) Ok.

Should I change my kernel to a different one than stock? My friends said it helps performance and battery life, but I don't know how stable they are. Could someone suggest a good one?

Last time I rooted my old phone I did a bad job of it, I lost all my stuff and I don't want it to happen this time.
If I buy Titanium Backup could this prevent this? I want to be able to update the ROM how can I do this, and what rom would you suggest in this case?

Thank you.

TheATHEiST

Sep 29, 2008
Hull
Samsung Galaxy S9+
Samsung Galaxy S21
Desperate times call for desperate measures :rolleyes:
However yes I agree, I was excited by the prospect of rooting my new phone.

Whihc is why we have so many duplicate topics because newbies do not bother to search/read and instead prefer to be spoon fed.

I know no one here owes me an answer, just because you have a lot of posts does not allow you to make the rules around here.

And at what point did I remotely say anything about me making the rules?

I was simply informing you of the rules that XDA HAS!

You are not allowed to bump posts after a short period of time!

I contribute to these forums as well, I was just hoping for some friendly help.
Obviously someone didn't get any of their mum last night :laugh:

Hilarious, obviously you did get some of your mum which is why you now have a new phone.

1) I can do this through Odin correct?

2) Ok, what is the most popular rom?

3) Ok.

1) Yes
2) What is best/most popular types of questions are not allowed on XDA. Try some and find out for yourself.

Should I change my kernel to a different one than stock? My friends said it helps performance and battery life, but I don't know how stable they are. Could someone suggest a good one?

Try some. Browse dev section and research.

Last time I rooted my old phone I did a bad job of it,

This emphasizes my earlier points in that you need to do some reading/research before jumping in.

I lost all my stuff and I don't want it to happen this time.

Then make a backup first. You probably wiped data via recovery or something.

If I buy Titanium Backup could this prevent this?

Yes.

I want to be able to update the ROM how can I do this, and what rom would you suggest in this case?

I already answered this earlier, please try and read.

Some ROM's like Cyanogenmod for example have inbuilt rom downloaders which will enable you to download next version and then flash it automatically.

However process is same, simply download new rom, reboot into rescue and then flash next version. No wipe is needed if its same base/version. You only need to wipe if going to new rom/base etc. Wipe will only wipe data partition on internal, your external is untouched.

Blakebn2012

Feb 29, 2012
Whihc is why we have so many duplicate topics because newbies do not bother to search/read and instead prefer to be spoon fed.

And at what point did I remotely say anything about me making the rules?

I was simply informing you of the rules that XDA HAS!

You are not allowed to bump posts after a short period of time!

Hilarious, obviously you did get some of your mum which is why you now have a new phone.

1) Yes
2) What is best/most popular types of questions are not allowed on XDA. Try some and find out for yourself.

Try some. Browse dev section and research.

This emphasizes my earlier points in that you need to do some reading/research before jumping in.

Then make a backup first. You probably wiped data via recovery or something.

Yes.

I already answered this earlier, please try and read.

Some ROM's like Cyanogenmod for example have inbuilt rom downloaders which will enable you to download next version and then flash it automatically.

However process is same, simply download new rom, reboot into rescue and then flash next version. No wipe is needed if its same base/version. You only need to wipe if going to new rom/base etc. Wipe will only wipe data partition on internal, your external is untouched.

Managed to root my stock rom.
If anyone is interested in doing this see the sticky in the n7105 thread the guy shows you how to install a custom recovery and install supersu 2.0 through that.
It is also great to try different roms, you can backup and install multiple roms to your liking.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using XDA Free mobile app

TheATHEiST

Sep 29, 2008
Hull
Samsung Galaxy S9+
Samsung Galaxy S21
Managed to root my stock rom.
If anyone is interested in doing this see the sticky in the n7105 thread the guy shows you how to install a custom recovery and install supersu 2.0 through that.

Cool, some newbies do manage to find the search/browse buttons then apparently :D

It is also great to try different roms, you can backup and install multiple roms to your liking.

Errr, welcome to XDA. :good: