Wifi calling discovery

Search This thread

lawhawk

Oct 2, 2008
Someone please tell me how Wifi-Calling on a custom ROM hurts T-mobile. It takes load off of their network. It gives their customers a much broader network. What do they gain by maintaining tight control? Why wouldn't they want it as ubiquitous as possible? I guess one reason would be that it allows people to more easily move to custom ROMs where T-mobile has a much harder time charging for wifi-tethering and whatnot...oh well.

My only guess is that this feature if isolated could be used in more broad of a manner or manipulated possibly in a way that it would fake reporting as wifi calling is being used even when really on their network- scamming free minutes?

I don't use a lot of talk time so I don't care about that. I'm just interested in using custom roms and having the feature because there are times when inside that reception is worthless and I would like to make a call or have service even if that means via wifi.

~ sent from my tin can attached to a string ~

keintabak

Mar 13, 2015
Kirkland
How is finding the t-mobile IMS settings dev-related? How is it S III Related?

It's relevant to every AOSP rom on every device on the T-Mobile carrier.

Once we know the settings, we can use any one of about 100 generic SIP clients (like CSipSimple) to use VoLTE / wifi calling.

So until the answer is freely available, it's going to remain a valid question.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ive been looking around and researching on how to get wifi calling on AOSP roms. I have made what I believe to be a big discovery. T-mobile now uses IMS for newer android phones, which is UMA/sip etc. I decompiled the ims-service.apk from the stock DLJA rom. I found an XML that contains the settings to use the service! You can get the IMS installer from here http://code.google.com/p/the-ims-open-source-project-for-android/

I put the settings into the app and tried connecting but it came up with ER05, invalid SIM card. I googled that and it I get leads to saying that the sim isn't authenticated for WIFI calling. I know that it is, because it works fine on stock roms. I've also attached a logcat of me attempting to connect. I've attempted to change some of the info of the strings to reflect my personal phone number but that did not change anything.
    Gary moved it out of the Int'l SGS3 Developer's Discussion threads where he has limited Mod powers.
    So I took part in a survey this morning sent from T-Mobile. They had some very interesting questions pertaining to Wi-Fi Calling and AOSP ROMS, specifically if I was running on a rooted device, and if I was able to get Wi-Fi calling enabled on whatever ROM I was using. They had other questions about Wi-Fi Calling and how much I would use it, etc...Apparently they're recognizing the community and are starting to ask the right questions. I like this line of thinking!
    Let us not assume they are asking these questions to try and help us.. Everything T-Mobile has ever demonstrated toward the hacking community was finding ways to prevent or patch and progress made.. like they're going to assist us with tethering or wifi calling on custom ROMs.. not going to happen.. They are probably asking so they can investigate how it is working on an AOSP ROM and patch the exploit..
    Go ahead and hop to it :rolleyes:

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

Ok, I'll start by praying then I'll make a goat sacrifice.