Ultimate case to buy ?

Search This thread

itsaaron123

Feb 11, 2014
1. Tech21, only sold at T-Mobile. About $30, but worth it when you see the YouTube video demo. Also search for the thread here discussing it.

2. Spigen Clear Ultra Hybrid. $10 -$15. Totally clear, very flexible and protective. It was my favorite for a few weeks until I got #1.

I bought a dozen more, not worth mentioning except for the Spigen Black Ultra Hybrid with clear back. But #2 (another Spigen) is better.

Still, Tech21 beats them all.

_______
Sent from my Nexus 5 (LG-D820)

reading the tech21 reviews on amazon.. seems like it doesnt hold out well long term. slickwraps does seem awesome,

chris6278

Jun 16, 2010
I have a ton of cases for the N5 but my favorite 2 are the black diztronic tpu and speck candyshell, both awesome cases an look great on ur phone

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
reading the tech21 reviews on amazon.. seems like it doesnt hold out well long term. slickwraps does seem awesome,

I'm seeing tons of glowing reviews on Amazon. As Amazon doesn't (yet) sell the Nexus 5 Tech21, we have to look at other models.

http://www.amazon.com/Tech21-Impact...637&sr=1-5&keywords=tech+21+samsung+galaxy+s4

also check out the Tech21 video review just made in this Nexus 5 forum with real drop tests.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=50253875&postcount=92

DROP TESTS.

Here's a freeze frame of one right before it hits the floor. Several more after that.

dr_zps06ec9cf8.png

Another one...

droptest_zps1ce02d6e.png

Last edited:

vinnyfraser

Jan 21, 2014
Belle River
I've been reading this forum for an hour and I cant make a decision LOL :crying:

Which case should I get for my Nexus 5?

I was gonna get the ultra slim from spigen.. but then I read all these cons. Overall, almost all the "highly reviewed" cases on amazon have been negatively talked about ..

Which case should I get ?

I'm looking for mainly scratch protection, since I dont think i'll be dropping it much. Really do not want to add bulk, and I love the way the N5 feels without a case.

EXTREMELY open to recommendations :), even if it goes against what i'm looking for !

If it matters i'm installing a MIME ghost screen protector :good:

looking forward to suggestions and recommendations ! thanks ! :fingers-crossed:

I am currently using Spingen Neo Hybrid and i freaking love it! Doesn't add much weight to the phone, protects from drops (Shock protection built into case) and keeps the phone feeling slim. I bought mine on amazon for 20$ and i couldn't be more happier with the buy.

bahaa89

Feb 10, 2011
Haifa
I looked for a case like you have described and I ordered cruzerlite cyanogenmod case.. And I'm waiting to see how it feels like on my phone.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

progrance

Nov 8, 2010
I have a spigen slim armor and It's perfect for me...I like the looks and I think it's good against dropping...

IRX120

May 28, 2012
Atlanta
personally I think the Seidio Surface case looks nice, its 35$ on sieidos website, but you can get the Seidio convert case (which is a combo of the surface and a otterbox-type case) for 45 on eBay.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

imex99

Jun 30, 2008
Columbus,OH
Any suggestions on a kickstand case that will work well with a qi wireless charger? My phone is coming midweek....

What's the difference in the surface and dilex case from sedio?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've been reading this forum for an hour and I cant make a decision LOL :crying:

Which case should I get for my Nexus 5?

I was gonna get the ultra slim from spigen.. but then I read all these cons. Overall, almost all the "highly reviewed" cases on amazon have been negatively talked about ..

Which case should I get ?

I'm looking for mainly scratch protection, since I dont think i'll be dropping it much. Really do not want to add bulk, and I love the way the N5 feels without a case.

EXTREMELY open to recommendations :), even if it goes against what i'm looking for !

If it matters i'm installing a MIME ghost screen protector :good:

looking forward to suggestions and recommendations ! thanks ! :fingers-crossed:

I'm quite partial to the Quicksand hardcases. I love the texture and the feel of it. It's also flexible and durable. It's super cheap in comparison to most other hardcases as well (which is why I have 8 of them in various colours haha). I got them for $0.99 each shipped, but they're a bit more expensive now because they've become so popular. Still cheap though.

You can see my review here (with tons of pictures), and lots of discussion about them as well. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2577289

If you want just purely minimal. The OEM LG Hardshell will probably suit you. It's pretty much the most minimal of minimal cases you can buy. It turns out it doesn't really suit me (too much love for the Quicksand!) but there are others here who really love it. The black is similar to the back of the black Nexus 5, and the white case is similar (a bit more slippery, same as a white Ringke Slim, or Spigen Ultra Fit) to the white back.

You can see my review here of it (lots of pics too). http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2643884

I don't use a screen protector, so I'm not sure if the Quicksand would interfere with it or not. I don't believe anyone has said there is any problems with Quicksand cases and screen protectors though, pretty much everyone has said it is fine. But the LG case does not even create a lip over the screen at all so that one would be guaranteed not to have any issues.
    The awesome cruzerlite bugdroid case. Super classy and functional. I would recommended anything rubber really, don't go with with hard cases since they offer little to none protection when dropped.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk