Note 2 WiFi both 2.4 & 5.0 GHz

Search This thread

RDI

Mar 21, 2006
Tampa, FL
www.RDI.us
I ran WiFi Analyzer and it shows all the traffic on both and which channels are empty. The 5GHz band is a N-150

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
I ran WiFi Analyzer and it shows all the traffic on both and which channels are empty. The 5GHz band is a N-150

best way to test for sure would be to put the modem in 5ghz only mode. sucks that if its there you cant configure it in your settings. but then again i'm on a custom rom. So it may be there on stock.

g2tegg

May 12, 2011
The Hammer
The real advantage of 5Ghz higher throughput (less noise, depending on where you live) which makes its only advantage is streaming media, file sharing, etc.. 2.4Ghz covers a larger area, and doesn't have near the amount of "dead zones" as 5Gz.
I use both, but when I'm on the other side of my house, the 5Ghz signal is generally -10 to -15dB worse then my 2.4Ghz signal.

---------- Post added at 06:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 PM ----------

5ghz range on the Note 2 is pretty good depends on your router. my 5ghz is the same in my 2 story house is as my 2.4ghz with my ASUS rt-56u

now my linksys 5ghz router sucks

It typically appears that way because of the amount of noise on 2.4Ghz. Where I live, in a subdivision, there is absolutely no clean channels. The airways are so clogged because routers can only operate between 11 (I think?) channels. To defend my theory I brought home a spectrum analyzer and was amazed. Every house in this survey is operating a router.
Dual band routers aren't as common, as well as less distance so the noise levels are typically great on 5Ghz. As I said earlier, the only advantage of 5Ghz is if you plan on streaming HD movies (lets say from a media centre to Boxee Box/Apple TV/Roku), or transferring files. 2.4Ghz will do just fine for everything else considering typical internet packages are less then 100Mb always.

hyelton

Recognized Contributor
May 26, 2010
Wilmington
The real advantage of 5Ghz higher throughput (less noise, depending on where you live) which makes its only advantage is streaming media, file sharing, etc.. 2.4Ghz covers a larger area, and doesn't have near the amount of "dead zones" as 5Gz.
I use both, but when I'm on the other side of my house, the 5Ghz signal is generally -10 to -15dB worse then my 2.4Ghz signal.

---------- Post added at 06:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 PM ----------

It typically appears that way because of the amount of noise on 2.4Ghz. Where I live, in a subdivision, there is absolutely no clean channels. The airways are so clogged because routers can only operate between 11 (I think?) channels. To defend my theory I brought home a spectrum analyzer and was amazed. Every house in this survey is operating a router.
Dual band routers aren't as common, as well as less distance so the noise levels are typically great on 5Ghz. As I said earlier, the only advantage of 5Ghz is if you plan on streaming HD movies (lets say from a media centre to Boxee Box/Apple TV/Roku), or transferring files. 2.4Ghz will do just fine for everything else considering typical internet packages are less then 100Mb always.

I`m the ONLY person around who has it:) haha so only networks are mine which are 3

g2tegg

May 12, 2011
The Hammer
I`m the ONLY person around who has it:) haha so only networks are mine which are 3

HA well there was so much 2.4Ghz noise in my area that I decided to install one of my outdoor radios in my house. They can be configured in such a way that WiFi devices can associate with it.
Needless to say, my wireless range is now 2 Km from my house lol. I'll probably die one day from cancer because of too much RF energy, but so far so good. Wife and I just had baby number 4 so it hasn't done a whole lot yet haha!!

g2tegg

May 12, 2011
The Hammer
Is there any way to get the Note 2 to connect on both 2.4 & 5.0 at the same time?

Nope. That's impossible. The radio in the Note is designed to associate to only one access point at a time. Whether it be 2.4 or 5.
It would also be useless. Having a phone locked onto to two ssid's would mean splitting the packets to two locations. Overcomplicated uses ordeal.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: cdshepherd

RDI

Mar 21, 2006
Tampa, FL
www.RDI.us
And why would you even want to do that...?

I am trying to use a new app (XStream) that supports streaming of Windows 7 Media Center files (.wtv). So far this is the first software I found that supports that (Samsung USA support had no idea). I can record 4 HD cable TV channels (FIOS) at once on my PC. A one hour recording in HD is 5-8GB in size. I figured I needed as much bandwidth as possible to stream that size file.

Last edited:

hyelton

Recognized Contributor
May 26, 2010
Wilmington
I am trying to use a new app (XStream) that supports streaming of Windows 7 Media Center files (.wtv). So far this is the first software I found that supports that (Samsung USA support had no idea). I can record 4 HD cable TV channels (FIOS) at once on my PC. A one hour recording in HD is 5-8GB in size. I figured I needed as much bandwidth as possible to stream that size file.

Well it doesnt matter what you got you got even if you could connect to both at the same time it could not combine them. Wireless N should be able to handle that just fine.

daveid

Jan 5, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra

Multiple connections to the same source does not equal a faster connection. In fact, the overhead and packet loss of two wireless connections would probably deteriorate the connection and, it would probably be slower than a single link.

Suzook1

Jun 12, 2010
I have two dual band routers bridged with one downstairs and one upstairs and connected by cat6. Blazing speeds on 5.0ghz in every inch of the house :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda premium

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1362061481909.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362061481909.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 438

AllTheWay

Retired Senior Moderator
Apr 3, 2007
Folsom, California
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
5ghz range on the Note 2 is pretty good depends on your router. my 5ghz is the same in my 2 story house is as my 2.4ghz with my ASUS rt-56u

now my linksys 5ghz router sucks

I have the same router. This is not the case for me. I assume you are using the latest firmware updates for it from ASUS.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda premium

nidnarb

Jan 15, 2012
Bellingham
What you do is get yourself a nice linksys router go online and flash linux tomato on that bad boy. Change the config setting to your liking up the transmit power and you got a 5ghz that goes 150 mbs at your neighbors house. :D

Sent from my SGH-I317 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

okay so what are you asking?
    Is there any way to get the Note 2 to connect on both 2.4 & 5.0 at the same time?

Nope. That's impossible. The radio in the Note is designed to associate to only one access point at a time. Whether it be 2.4 or 5.
    It would also be useless. Having a phone locked onto to two ssid's would mean splitting the packets to two locations. Overcomplicated uses ordeal.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2