[ROM] SuperOSR and CyanogenMod7 on HTC ChaCha.

Search This thread

Alex C.

Aug 17, 2011
Hello everyone!

This topic contains all the development stages of custom ROMs, please read the full topic before asking any questions; refrain from asking silly questions/"questions that are easier to answer on Google than logging into XDA, browsing to HTC ChaCha, dev section, this thread, click on post reply, entering the question, clicking submit, waiting for someone to read and reply"/un-constructive feedback-criticism/anything unrelated to these two roms.

In the order of their availability:

NOTE: Give thanks and feedback to the developers. Install any of these roms for the purpose of testing and providing information/feedback in the thread. Neither of these are stable yet, they are experimental builds and this topic represents the simplest bug tracking database.

Apparently users do not read the known issues list. FRONT CAMERA is NOT working. Do not switch to front camera, otherwise Camera.apk will crash constantly. To fix this go to Settings -> Applications -> Manage -> All -> Camera -> Clear data and cache -> Reboot your phone.

I. SuperOSR by adlx.xda
SuperOSR (OpenSourceRom and CM) based ROM: SuperOSR-chacha-2.5-20120724.zip - 83.13 MB
Current version: 20120329-0005
More information about the ROM HERE.

Release notes for 1314
- New kernel with swap enabled. it will also now mount correctly your sd-ext partition as ext4 (if formated as ext4, which is the how my CWM will format it).
Release notes for 0159
- FB key remap option in SupSetup/Parts
- All the keypad fixes avail to date (only for unlocked users, S-Off will still need the patches)
Release notes for 0513
- Build is odexed --> I believe it is a significant gain of space in /data (now it will occupy <30 Mb after first start, leaving 120 Mb free)
- Comes with all the keyboard kl/kcm.bin. (only usefull if S-On, bc S-Off lost their CID. If S-Off flash a keypad patch after the rom)
- Removed bloat
Tips and tricks, known issues and workarounds:
1. Wi-Fi module is not connecting to hidden networks. - reported as fixed, router channel must be set <13
2. Sometimes Wi-Fi will not connect to an AP after setting it up (Scanning -> Connecting -> Disconnected -> Scanning -> Connecting.. etc.). In this case press and hold the connection, remove it, create it again, then switch Wi-Fi off/on.
3. I suggest performing the following if you still cannot connect to a visible Wi-Fi AP: Settings -> Wireless & networks -> Wi-Fi Settings -> Press menu button -> Advanced -> Regulatory domain -> 13 channels -> Wi-Fi sleep policy -> Never
4. Front camera is not working. In study.
5. Default battery icon and percentage battery icon shown at the same time if activated from the CM settings. No workaround available yet.
6. Facebook button is unassigned (does nothing). What should it open?​

II. CyanogenMod (by xd.bx) since 19.01.2012 adlx.xda took over
CM 7.2.0 (CyanogenMod) based ROM: DOWNLOAD Release No.: 20120321-2039

1. Wi-Fi module is not connecting to hidden networks. reported as fixed, router channel must be set <13
2. Sometimes Wi-Fi will not connect to an AP after setting it up (Scanning -> Connecting -> Disconnected -> Scanning -> Connecting.. etc.). In this case press and hold the connection, remove it, create it again, then switch Wi-Fi off/on.
3. I suggest performing the following if you still cannot connect to a visible Wi-Fi AP: Settings -> Wireless & networks -> Wi-Fi Settings -> Press menu button -> Advanced -> Regulatory domain -> 13 channels -> Wi-Fi sleep policy -> Never
5. Facebook button is unassigned (does nothing). What should it open?

Other useful information:
ChaCha Keypad Files/Key mapping
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1456154
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=18763527&postcount=101 from adlx.xda
These should be placed on your device to change your keyboard layout.

Google Apps - Used for Google account (contacts/calendar sync); also contains GMail/Market. This is not included in the CM rom (by default, CyanogenMod does not contain Google services and applications; these can be added separately by users that want them). Remember that there are users who would like to remove everything Google related from their roms as there are some services which use internet/battery when they want and have dependencies with Google Contacts Sync/Calendar Sync/Gmail. Include requests of gapps into a custom ROM by default will be declined.
http://cmw.22aaf3.com/gapps/gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip

Fix for GSM/Phone.apk crash
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20710120&postcount=474
Thanks to carstenheuer for finding this out.

Radio - for people having GPS issues (unable to find sats/get a fix)
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1257776
A810b
Another thing has come to our attention: a new region-based model is out, the A810b.
Do not flash any of the radios available around here as they are mostly based for the A810e model, which uses a different network bandwidth and a lot of issues might occur.

For more information regarding GSM network frequency, check here: http://www.gsmarena.com/network-bands.php3?
This might also provide some information as to why 3G doesn't work, for example.

Small adb kit
For people that need adb without installing the whole SDK kit, adlx.xda provided a little bit of knowledge regarding this nifty little thing included in other applications.
http://alex.swtesting.ro/downloads/adb-and-moto-fastboot-win32.zip

GPS fix
For people out there without a working GPS on one of the two builds the fix is:
1. Get a stock ROM.
2. Go outside using a GPS application (like GPS Test from the Market)
3. Wait until you get a fix and a location.
4. Flash SuperOSR/CM.
5. Redo step 2.

Last edited:

qbert456

Jul 21, 2010
I'd love to help, but I'm nowhere near clever enough to get involved hands on.

Sent from my HTC ChaCha A810e using Tapatalk

Alex C.

Aug 17, 2011
You can get involved by simply showing some interest on the thread up there :)

Reactions: dvfk

Moody

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 11, 2009
Arnhem
Lol, rent me your phone and I'll give it to you within a month with working display and touchscreen at least.

Custom Roms based on anything else than HTC's official firmware are impossible to do blindly without having the actual device, unlike my recovery port. I have the knowledge required, I'm the one who started it all back over at the xperia x10 mini pro-scene. I just don't have the cash, or need to spend it, on a phone I won't use for anything else than giving the community CM7. So if anyone by accident could miss their phone for a good month, I'll be your developer.

I sincerely hope anyone else has the knowledge required though, as I doubt anyone would borrow me their phone, heck, even I wouldn't borrow my phone to myself over xda-developers :p

The hardest thing is not getting the phone to boot cm7, it is finding the correct "Drivers" which you need from the sense rom. This is a very reboot-and-time-consuming process and can't be done without seeing what happens.

Alex C.

Aug 17, 2011
HTC has released the kernel with all the sources for the drivers so we're setup. Just need some tips. :)

astro11

Oct 10, 2011
Quebec
I think that if we want someone on cyanogenMod to give us attention and start working on something, we need to make a lot more noise. We need lots of people posting and asking for help. I suggest we start posting more there and asking people to do the same.

Mikevhl, I also think a lot of people here is urging for you to develop something to ChaCha, and I understand that no one is really willing to rent their phones (I don't got mine yet, but I don't know if I would give it too). What I believe you can start doing is asking for donations to buy a ChaCha. I'm one of the guys who are willing to give at least 10 bucks so you can have your own ChaCha to develop. Who knows? Maybe it'll work.

A cyanogenMod custom rom would mean a lot to HTC ChaCha. It's a phone with great potential, but with a lot of bloatware and unuseful stuff that makes the phone not so great at all.

Moody

Dec 11, 2009
Arnhem
I think that if we want someone on cyanogenMod to give us attention and start working on something, we need to make a lot more noise. We need lots of people posting and asking for help. I suggest we start posting more there and asking people to do the same.

Mikevhl, I also think a lot of people here is urging for you to develop something to ChaCha, and I understand that no one is really willing to rent their phones (I don't got mine yet, but I don't know if I would give it too). What I believe you can start doing is asking for donations to buy a ChaCha. I'm one of the guys who are willing to give at least 10 bucks so you can have your own ChaCha to develop. Who knows? Maybe it'll work.

A cyanogenMod custom rom would mean a lot to HTC ChaCha. It's a phone with great potential, but with a lot of bloatware and unuseful stuff that makes the phone not so great at all.

A good idea, but chances are I won't completely succeed in getting everything to work as perfect as CM builds are on other devices. That would mean I just stole your money! And I ain't wanna be no theif :p

If anyone is urging real bad though, you can sent me payments via paypal to
michael@live-messenger.nl

(Don't donate, paypal puts some money in their own pockets you do)

xd.bx

May 14, 2011
I see no major blocking point in this port. We already have other MSM7227 ports (legend, liberty, espresso), sources for the kernel, and a 2.3.3-based Sense ROM from HTC (means compatible .so). I'll give it a try and post the results in this thread.

Reactions: dvfk

Alex C.

Aug 17, 2011
I see no major blocking point in this port. We already have other MSM7227 ports (legend, liberty, espresso), sources for the kernel, and a 2.3.3-based Sense ROM from HTC (means compatible .so). I'll give it a try and post the results in this thread.

We are already running on 2.3.5, since latest leaked update 1.52.

Moody

Dec 11, 2009
Arnhem
Good news all, I am going to buy a Chacha, which means you'll all get your amazing htc chacha cm7 port!

I currently have 110 euros saved up for one and will buy one for 150 when I have the money :)
Sources will *eventually* be released to those interested.

Moody

Dec 11, 2009
Arnhem

Good luck, I hope you're succesfully able to port it. :)

astro11

Oct 10, 2011
Quebec
Good news all, I am going to buy a Chacha, which means you'll all get your amazing htc chacha cm7 port!

I currently have 110 euros saved up for one and will buy one for 150 when I have the money :)
Sources will *eventually* be released to those interested.

that surely is amazing news. i'll make sure to make a donation once i get home, so you can buy your chacha earlier :)

thanks a lot! the whole community will be happy with the news for the best qwerty blackberry-like keyboard android phone! phew...

Reactions: Moody

Alex C.

Aug 17, 2011
that surely is amazing news. i'll make sure to make a donation once i get home, so you can buy your chacha earlier :)

thanks a lot! the whole community will be happy with the news for the best qwerty blackberry-like keyboard android phone! phew...

:D RIM would kill for a keyboard like this one on their devices.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone!

This topic contains all the development stages of custom ROMs, please read the full topic before asking any questions; refrain from asking silly questions/"questions that are easier to answer on Google than logging into XDA, browsing to HTC ChaCha, dev section, this thread, click on post reply, entering the question, clicking submit, waiting for someone to read and reply"/un-constructive feedback-criticism/anything unrelated to these two roms.

In the order of their availability:

NOTE: Give thanks and feedback to the developers. Install any of these roms for the purpose of testing and providing information/feedback in the thread. Neither of these are stable yet, they are experimental builds and this topic represents the simplest bug tracking database.

Apparently users do not read the known issues list. FRONT CAMERA is NOT working. Do not switch to front camera, otherwise Camera.apk will crash constantly. To fix this go to Settings -> Applications -> Manage -> All -> Camera -> Clear data and cache -> Reboot your phone.

I. SuperOSR by adlx.xda
    SuperOSR (OpenSourceRom and CM) based ROM: SuperOSR-chacha-2.5-20120724.zip - 83.13 MB
    Current version: 20120329-0005

Release notes for 1314
    - New kernel with swap enabled. it will also now mount correctly your sd-ext partition as ext4 (if formated as ext4, which is the how my CWM will format it).
    Release notes for 0159
    - FB key remap option in SupSetup/Parts
    - All the keypad fixes avail to date (only for unlocked users, S-Off will still need the patches)
    Release notes for 0513
    - Build is odexed --> I believe it is a significant gain of space in /data (now it will occupy <30 Mb after first start, leaving 120 Mb free)
    - Comes with all the keyboard kl/kcm.bin. (only usefull if S-On, bc S-Off lost their CID. If S-Off flash a keypad patch after the rom)
    - Removed bloat
    1. Wi-Fi module is not connecting to hidden networks. - reported as fixed, router channel must be set <13
    5. Default battery icon and percentage battery icon shown at the same time if activated from the CM settings. No workaround available yet.
    6. Facebook button is unassigned (does nothing). What should it open?​

II. CyanogenMod (by xd.bx) since 19.01.2012 adlx.xda took over
    CM 7.2.0 (CyanogenMod) based ROM: DOWNLOAD Release No.: 20120321-2039

1. Wi-Fi module is not connecting to hidden networks. reported as fixed, router channel must be set <13
    5. Facebook button is unassigned (does nothing). What should it open?

Other useful information:
    ChaCha Keypad Files/Key mapping
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1456154
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=18763527&postcount=101 from adlx.xda
    These should be placed on your device to change your keyboard layout.

Google Apps - Used for Google account (contacts/calendar sync); also contains GMail/Market. This is not included in the CM rom (by default, CyanogenMod does not contain Google services and applications; these can be added separately by users that want them). Remember that there are users who would like to remove everything Google related from their roms as there are some services which use internet/battery when they want and have dependencies with Google Contacts Sync/Calendar Sync/Gmail. Include requests of gapps into a custom ROM by default will be declined.
    http://cmw.22aaf3.com/gapps/gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip

Fix for GSM/Phone.apk crash
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20710120&postcount=474
    Thanks to carstenheuer for finding this out.

Radio - for people having GPS issues (unable to find sats/get a fix)
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1257776
    A810b
    Another thing has come to our attention: a new region-based model is out, the A810b.
    Do not flash any of the radios available around here as they are mostly based for the A810e model, which uses a different network bandwidth and a lot of issues might occur.

For more information regarding GSM network frequency, check here: http://www.gsmarena.com/network-bands.php3?
    This might also provide some information as to why 3G doesn't work, for example.

Small adb kit
    For people that need adb without installing the whole SDK kit, adlx.xda provided a little bit of knowledge regarding this nifty little thing included in other applications.
    http://alex.swtesting.ro/downloads/adb-and-moto-fastboot-win32.zip

GPS fix
    For people out there without a working GPS on one of the two builds the fix is:
    1. Get a stock ROM.
    2. Go outside using a GPS application (like GPS Test from the Market)
    3. Wait until you get a fix and a location.
    4. Flash SuperOSR/CM.
    5. Redo step 2.
    CM7 Roadmap

For those who missed it, check http://www.cyanogenmod.com/blog :D

After CyanogenMod 7.2 is released, we will be merging in and welcoming aboard maintainers for the following devices (with more queued):

HTC Status (chacha)
    HTC Wildfire S (marvel)
    LG Optimus Chic (e720)
    Motorola Photon (sunfire)
    Samsung Galaxy 5 (i5500)
    working so far

yesterday late I tried with xdbg's kernel, init.chacha.rc & bcm module and the TS worked. using his kernel I got to test more things:

So far, in my build this is what I have tested:

- Touchscreen: OK
    - Calls (with audio): OK
    - Data (3g): OK
    - Wifi: OK

Doesn't work (yet):
    - Physical keyboard :( (I can get data from input device though)
    - leds and backlight, not well tested, but didn't seem to be working (it work manually though, by echoing in the /proc)
    - Camara
    - GPS
    - Sensors

SMS, MMS: untested

Screenshots gallery: https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/788286/1/SuperOSR-Chacha?h=5cc26e#/
    Hi.

A couple of pointers/possible solutions:

- Physical keyboard :( (I can get data from input device though)

You must patch frameworks/base/include/ui/KeycodeLabels.h or remove the unknown keys from chacha-keypad.kl. I suspect other files must be patched as well, for example to make the 0 work.

- leds and backlight, not well tested, but didn't seem to be working (it work manually though, by echoing in the /proc)

Check that you have lights.msm7k.so and also check the permissions in init.chacha.rc. You might need a newer lights than the one used in the Liberty.

I think the libcamera.so from HTC has a different API than CM7. Also you must uncomment PRODUCT_SPECIFIC_DEFINES += TARGET_PRELINKER_MAP... in your vendor/cyanogen/products/cyanogen_chacha.mk.
    Check the libcameraservice source code. This problem could be slightly harder to fix.

I think the radio is more recent than on the Liberty, hence the loc_api version will be higher. Try 20000 and 50000. Also try with the gps.chacha.so from stock ROM.

Try with a newer libsensors or sensors.chacha.so from stock ROM.
    Link removed because it was obsolete