(Need Root)Enable Automatic Light Sensor on Xperia Ray

Search This thread

arcatarc

I've found the way to enable ALS on Ray:
Using root explorer Change this value in hw_config.sh(inside system/etc):
# LMU AS3676 Configuration
dev=/sys/devices/i2c-0/0-0040/leds/
echo 0,0,0,0 > $dev/lcd-backlight/als/params #[gain],[filter_up],[filter_down],[offset]
echo 1 > $dev/lcd-backlight/als/enable #Sensor on/off. 1 = on, reg 90h
echo 12900 > $dev/torch/max_current
To
echo 3,2,2,0 > $dev/lcd-backlight/als/params #[gain],[filter_up],[filter_down],[offset]
echo 12900 > $dev/torch/max_current​

Optional:replace als_curve.ini with the one i provide(is from arc):for me is better.
UPDATE:I've deleted the "als_curve.inf" from phone and changed
echo 3,2,2,0 > $dev/lcd-backlight/als/params #[gain],[filter_up],[filter_down],[offset]
to
echo 1,1,1,0 > $dev/lcd-backlight/als/params #[gain],[filter_up],[filter_down],[offset]

now backlight seem more"wide range".

UPDATE: New CWM version added(InstallazioneALS_Xperia_Ray.zip):flash via recovery.

UPDATE:In official ics 4.0.4 i found the best way is to delete als_curve.inf (after change echo 1,1,1,0 )

UPDATE 08/November: for a fast response (istantaneous dim change) flash (Fast Response)InstallazioneALS_Xperia_Ray.zip

If you like my work make a donation(51% will be donate to UNICEF):
EVERY DAY CHILDREN DIE NEEDLESSY!!!
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=Q94WGHC4F2DH2

Attachments

• als_curve.zip
    301 bytes · Views: 5,190
  • InstallazioneALS_Xperia_Ray.zip
    158.4 KB · Views: 2,552
Last edited:

zstoichev

Apr 17, 2011
Sofia
www.5group.com
Not working for me. Changed it to 3,2,2,0, rebooted and yet no avail.

Edit: !! One can check that light sensor is working fine through service menu (call *#*#7378423#*#*) -> Service tests -> Ambient light sensor. It shows the sensor output and one can play covering the sensor to see as value changes. So, the Ray has a working sensor after all, but it is not used?

Last edited:

zstoichev

Apr 17, 2011
Sofia
www.5group.com
yeah, I saw it "working"... with a step or two at most. I am really disappointed by how SE implemented this. Even the brightness manual slider seams to have 15-16 steps, i.e. it's not smooth. I had a HTC Hero and auto-brightness/slider were flawless.

Reactions: jimtonic01

radek.kaplan

Dec 9, 2011
Q: how to enable ?

OK, sensor now working ( tested in service menu )

Unfortunately, I do not see the possibility of its use - especially for automatic brightness adjustment desktop. There is no option to set AUTOMATIC BRIGHTNESS. I tried a few widgets and even though I always set AUTO, never worked ...

How do in practice this now-functional sensor to use?

THX

efx_d3

Dec 28, 2010
México
OK, sensor now working ( tested in service menu )

Unfortunately, I do not see the possibility of its use - especially for automatic brightness adjustment desktop. There is no option to set AUTOMATIC BRIGHTNESS. I tried a few widgets and even though I always set AUTO, never worked ...

How do in practice this now-functional sensor to use?

THX

Hi, to work well you must edit the file. sh, and replace with:http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=805848&d=1323082156 , then, in the state switch, option 2 is what gives the brightness automatically, try putting a lamp and then covering the sensor with your finger and see as changing the brightness automatically, for me it worked great, greetings.

sorry bad English, I use google translator ñ_ñ

Bazonga

Oct 9, 2011
Hi, to work well you must edit the file. sh, and replace with:http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=805848&d=1323082156 , then, in the state switch, option 2 is what gives the brightness automatically, try putting a lamp and then covering the sensor with your finger and see as changing the brightness automatically, for me it worked great, greetings.

sorry bad English, I use google translator ñ_ñ

I don't understand what you mean with this?

efx_d3

Dec 28, 2010
México
I don't understand what you mean with this?

1.-arcatarc follow steps.
2.- edit file, Using root explorer Change this value in hw_config.sh(inside system/etc):
echo 0,0,0,0 > $dev/lcd-backlight/als/params #[gain],[filter_up],[filter_down],[offset]
To
echo 12900 > $dev/torch/max_current[/LEFT]

IMPORTANT :Optional:replace als_curve.ini with the one i provide(is from arc):for me is better. (with this works best for me also)

link download : http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=805848&d=1323082156

Both of the files, hw_config.sh and als_curve.conf, are in /system/etc.

to try:

1 .- Use light switch widget.
2 .- Second tap the widget ( i use extended control) is auto brightness.
3 .- Try a flashlight and see how it works the brightness automatically.

I hope it is clear to you, greetings.

I may not understand because I do not speak English, my language is Spanish and use a translator,

xda took months just by using the google translator

sorry for bad writing in English :eek:

Last edited:

Bazonga

Oct 9, 2011
Thanks, but I just don't understand which widget i have to use? What do you mean with "option 2"? I only have the brightness on/off switch and the state switch with airplane mode, gps, bluetooth etc but no brightness??

Last edited:

masterflai

Aug 6, 2008
You're english is fine. :)

---------- Post added at 11:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 PM ----------

Thanks, but I just don't understand which widget i have to use? What do you mean with "option 2"? I only have the brightness on/off switch and the state switch with airplane mode, gps, bluetooth etc but no brightness??

I suppose he means, that you can check the functionality by using a freeware widget like Backlight! Launcher: Set the display brightness to "A" (auto) and the sensor would adapt the brightness of your screen depending on your environment.

I checked the sensor in the service menu and it's running, but I didn't see a change when I use a flashlight or my hand.
Does it belong to a special widget?

I have choosen the Backlight on/off widget and changed it to off and on again and I used the named brightness widget.

Last edited:

hansip87

Jan 14, 2011
Jakarta
I don't see any changes in automatic brightness with this trick and additional widget, even though the ALS did worked from device test. Help?

EDIT: It works now! :D just having a wrong angle before when checking. as long as the Brightness is not set at the lowest then it would work. Thanks!

sent from my little red phone using XDA App :)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've found the way to enable ALS on Ray:
    Using root explorer Change this value in hw_config.sh(inside system/etc):
    To
    echo 12900 > $dev/torch/max_current​

Optional:replace als_curve.ini with the one i provide(is from arc):for me is better.
    UPDATE:I've deleted the "als_curve.inf" from phone and changed
    to
    echo 1,1,1,0 > $dev/lcd-backlight/als/params #[gain],[filter_up],[filter_down],[offset]

now backlight seem more"wide range".

UPDATE: New CWM version added(InstallazioneALS_Xperia_Ray.zip):flash via recovery.

UPDATE:In official ics 4.0.4 i found the best way is to delete als_curve.inf (after change echo 1,1,1,0 )

UPDATE 08/November: for a fast response (istantaneous dim change) flash (Fast Response)InstallazioneALS_Xperia_Ray.zip

If you like my work make a donation(51% will be donate to UNICEF):
    EVERY DAY CHILDREN DIE NEEDLESSY!!!
    https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=Q94WGHC4F2DH2
    ALS

try my app
    not very clean, not fast, not nice, not general
    but can be usefull on some eric phones
    tested on xperia pro, neo - android 2.3
    Hi arcatarc. I'm on JJ 3.2 rom. I searched this thread and you told, that in JJ's rom is ALS enabled by default. When i open hw_config.sh(inside system/etc) it shows, that:

Also i think its not enabled (it was the same on JJ 3.1). Or JJ enabled it by another way?

line is enabling als

echo 0,0,0,0 ... means that als is most wide range, lowest up response, lowest down response, and has no offset...
    first 3 values you can change from 0-7, the last one I don't know
    yeah, I saw it "working"... with a step or two at most. I am really disappointed by how SE implemented this. Even the brightness manual slider seams to have 15-16 steps, i.e. it's not smooth. I had a HTC Hero and auto-brightness/slider were flawless.
    Should i do update from sd card or
    wipe dalvik cache,factory reset,wipe cache and then install from sd card???:confused::confused::confused:

---------- Post added at 10:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

Should i do update from sd card or
    wipe dalvik cache,factory reset,wipe cache and then install from sd card???

Only flash zip from cwm...