Whatsapp ART support

Search This thread

scleone1987

Apr 28, 2013
There's a piece of news for all of you ART converters who are waiting for a Whatsapp update (WA currently crashes on ART runtime).
I've sent an email to WA support team to ask when a future update will be available which will solve the fc when running ART.

Here's the reply from the support team:

"Hi,
Thanks for your message. Currently, ART does not support WhatsApp. Since ART is still in beta stage, WhatsApp will continue to run in Dalvik until Android has been fully converted to ART. A bug has been reported to Google regarding this issue. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us. We would be happy to help!".

So, take your own conclusions. Mine is that we will not see any update of any app currently having issues with ART until Android will take it out of the beta stage and will make it the default compiler (Android 5?).

luiseteyo

Oct 24, 2011
Madrid
There's a piece of news for all of you ART converters who are waiting for a Whatsapp update (WA currently crashes on ART runtime).
I've sent an email to WA support team to ask when a future update will be available which will solve the fc when running ART.

"Hi,
Thanks for your message. Currently, ART does not support WhatsApp. Since ART is still in beta stage, WhatsApp will continue to run in Dalvik until Android has been fully converted to ART. A bug has been reported to Google regarding this issue. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us. We would be happy to help!".

So, take your own conclusions. Mine is that we will not see any update of any app currently having issues with ART until Android will take it out of the beta stage and will make it the default compiler (Android 5?).

Bad news... :(

FrankBullitt

Sep 25, 2010
Mafra, Portugal
So, according to the devs of whatsapp, ART doesn't support their app... Do they understand what a runtime environment means? I'm guessing someone is laughing hard at the Google offices with the bug they've "reported".
"Yep, we're going to modify our runtime environment because their app doesn't run with it.".

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

philipepi

Sep 8, 2011
let me put this here...

0K4JaM7.jpg

richteralan

Aug 3, 2010
Hong Kong
Seriously I don't get why people like Whatsapp.

There are many alternative out there such as Viber or Line which provides better interface and actually adhere to Google guidelines.

kowcop

Dec 8, 2011
I read somewhere that an old version works and the new one doesn't because of the included libs.. I don't use whatapp, but couldn't someone just grab the latest APK, open it in 7zip and remove the libs?

zorkek

Jan 17, 2012
Seriously I don't get why people like Whatsapp.

me too, I've to use it just because all my friends are using it. I wish everyone could use hangouts (never had a crash here), but unfortunately the iOS version is kinda slow (on iphone4 at least).

it looks like WA team is really lazy, look at the iOS version! iOS7 was released to developers months ago and still, it has the iOS6 interface lol.
I'm afraid the same is gonna happens here for the Dalvik/ART switch.

hope I'm wrong ofc.

Smando

Jun 24, 2008
I think is not a lib problem:

Version 2.10.768(no libs in apk) installs fine but not work, "software too old error"

Version 2.11.12(no libs in apk) error during installation

Version 2.11.93 libs in apk and error during installation

So, we can try to solve "software too old error", a star point can be this class: "com\whatsapp\g.smali"

or we can try to solve the installation error on version 2.11.12, now i'm on dalvik, there is anyone on art can post logcat of installation of 2.11.12?

Reactions: flasherruts

qwerp_

Oct 8, 2010
Good news, I manage to get version 2.11.42 running under art. The trick is however, you need to first switch back to dalvik, install it, then switch back to art again.

Go give it a try. Works for me.

One catch, the attach photo from gallery not working, but still can share from gallery to whatsapp, just not from whstsapp to pick from gallery. I can live with that.

The latest version I got running is 2.11.50

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Per the hints from Google, I was able to get current versions of WhatsApp to install under ART by overriding one of the verifier checks.

Here is the procedure to replace libart.so and clean up any partially-installed WhatsApp package, tested on a Nexus 5 running AOSP 4.4:

Code:
    adb root
    adb remount
    adb shell "rm -rf /data/data/com.whatsapp"
    adb pull /system/lib/libart.so libart.so.bak
    adb push libart.so /system/lib/

If something goes wrong it may well result in a bootloop, so if you need to restore from backup, boot to recovery and use:

Code:
    adb shell "mount /system"
    adb push libart.so.bak /system/lib/libart.so

Source changes: https://github.com/cernekee/android_art/commit/fc2ac71d0d9e147c607bff9371fe2ef25d8470af

Note that I have not tested this on a Nexus 4 (despite this thread's current location).

Update 2013/12/07: Google's official fix is posted here. This was included in KK 4.4.1.
    let me put this here...

0K4JaM7.jpg
    So, according to the devs of whatsapp, ART doesn't support their app... Do they understand what a runtime environment means? I'm guessing someone is laughing hard at the Google offices with the bug they've "reported".
    "Yep, we're going to modify our runtime environment because their app doesn't run with it.".

Shah, exactly. It's like asking Linus to change Linux so it can run Outlook 2013.

"Hi,