[USB-Tethering] Wired Tether for Root Users

Search This thread

yaz813

Nov 7, 2009
This does work on dwangs 1.13 ... however it broke the cell network I was unable to get cell signal or network so it did me no good. I am working on way to fix this but I have not done dev for any phone in a long time, so it may take me a while to find out what is doing this.
thank you. if you come up with something please let me know. i think i would prefer a line connection instead of the wifi tether. plus i really like dwangs rom.

AverageCanadian

Jun 7, 2009
shocks, I was really hoping for a usb tether solution. wifi tether drains my battery more quickly than the usb connection can re-charge my phone.

Keep up the good work.

lbcoder

Jan 21, 2009
doesnt seem to work with macs

I haven't actually tried this since I h8 apl UI, but something along the lines of one of these should work for you:

http://docwiki.gumstix.org/index.php/Setting_up_USBnet#USBnet_on_Mac_OS_X

http://bugcommunity.com/wiki/index.php/Start_Guide_Mac_OS_X_10.5

Note: What you are looking for is a conventional "usbnet" driver that works for macosx.

What you'll find is that apl doesn't actually support much hardware. For whatever reason, they are pretending to be a hardware manufacturer, when in fact, they are strictly for SOFTWARE. If they don't sell the hardware, chances are that it *probably* won't work on their crippleware OS.

usbnet has been built in to the linux kernel for YEARS and to make it work on any modern distro, you literally just have to PLUG IT IN -- networkmanager will take care of the rest automatically.

jthmz

Jul 21, 2009
Whenever i use this or the cyanogen built usb-tether i usually always get limited or no connectivity or it connects and when i launch my browser its as if i have no connection it comes in bursts that last for minutes at a time. Has anyone else gotten this? If so are there any fixes?

Nov 25, 2009
Any idea how I can get the USB-tether to connect to games on GGPO? I know it's not my router, I was able to get on and play just fine when I had a traditional PCI wireless card with the same router and ISP. Any messing about with IPtables I could do?

This app/driver rocks btw

stevetigersix

Feb 10, 2008
Windsor
if i connect my phone ( htc magic rooted running a custom rom ) to my wifi network, then connect via usb my phone to my laptop/desktop then activate wired tether, does the laptop/desktop use my wireless connection from my phone to connect to the web or does it use my 3g?

harry_m

Feb 25, 2009
if i connect my phone ( htc magic rooted running a custom rom ) to my wifi network, then connect via usb my phone to my laptop/desktop then activate wired tether, does the laptop/desktop use my wireless connection from my phone to connect to the web or does it use my 3g?

===> the laptop/desktop uses the wireless connection (wifi) from my phone to connect to the web (if the phone is connected via 3G a laptop/desktop uses the 3G connection).

bonesy

Jan 28, 2009
Cornwall, united kingdom
im having some trouble with this? im trying to use your kernel with my ramdisk, which at the moment is working through 3g+ connection but my wifi isnt? im using your wlan.ko also tried with mine but no joy.

If i apply your update i get the same results?

kmartburrito

Mar 17, 2006
Denver, CO

You could quickly confirm by doing a speedtest at speedtest.net and pay attention to the ping value. Cell pings are usually quite high, sometimes in the 300s. With WiFi you should get less than 100, probably closer to 50.

marty22877

May 28, 2009
i'm trying to get this to work and it's saying it cant reach my dhcp server, this is when i'm doing an ipconfig -renew. any idea why?

chinoto

Jan 25, 2011
I had already rooted and applied genocide kernel to my Epic 4G, so it worked without any hassle when connected to Ubuntu 10.10.
But I was curious, is there a way to ssh into the phone through the tether? I have it set to 10.10.1.252/30 and tried connecting to it, but that didn't work as seen below:
Code:
damian@damian-laptop:~$ ssh 10.10.1.252
ssh: connect to host 10.10.1.252 port 22: Network is unreachable
If I can get ssh to work, then I could use sshfs to look at my entire phone without the lag of going through our wireless access point. I'm using SSHDroid to create the ssh server.

EDIT[08/22/2011]: I figured this out a long time ago, I was supposed to do
Code:
ssh root@10.10.1.254
And for mounting my phone's filesystem I do:
Code:
sshfs root@10.10.1.254:/ ~/mount/ #Requires that mount be exist in your home directory of course

Last edited:

kalikool123

Jul 25, 2011
How can I inatall the patch???

This is what I have done :

1: copied "adp-1_6-kernel-update_usbtether_r3.zip" to SD card.

2: switch the phone in recovery mode.

3: Gone to the option apply update from SD card selected the zip file.

4: When I Press the middle button to apply changes , it says, tryng to update, and then Installation aborted ;-(

I aint no expert.
your app was simple and looked cool. The system is detecting the connection and a new network connection is created but I cant browse on the phone.
I am using windows 7 ultimate.

my phone is galaxy mini(GT-S5570)
ANDROID VERSION : 2.3.4
Kernel version : 2.6.35.7

please help

Top Liked Posts