No need to tether Wifi... Bluetooth tether works

Search This thread

ixobelle

Jul 16, 2010
I have a droidX, and was syncing the two devices to push a file across them when I saw bluetooth tethering... it works flawlessly. I never even heard about this during all the "screw the data plan, I'll wifi tether my tablet" hoo-ha.

Basically: sync up a phone with the tablet so they see each other.

Then go into bluetooth settings on the Xoom: settings > wireless and networks > bluetooth settings > paired devices > (YOUR PHONE)... and click the wrench icon. There's a tether option right there sitting in broad daylight... no need to even have a rooted handset I guess?

works great for me.

baller status.

arrtoodeetoo

Dec 31, 2010
Cool! That's great for those of us with OG Droids who can't use infrastructure mode.

I'm curious though. If I'm tethering via bluetooth, will I simultaneously be able to use my bluetooth headset with the XOOM, or my Droid for that matter?

rquellet

Sep 17, 2010
I have a droidX, and was syncing the two devices to push a file across them when I saw bluetooth tethering... it works flawlessly. I never even heard about this during all the "screw the data plan, I'll wifi tether my tablet" hoo-ha.

Then go into bluetooth settings on the Xoom: settings > wireless and networks > bluetooth settings > paired devices > (YOUR PHONE)... and click the wrench icon. There's a tether option right there sitting in broad daylight... no need to even have a rooted handset I guess?

works great for me.

baller status.

Good lord! This actually freaking works! I'm typing this post from my Xoom that is bluetooth tethered to my droidx. Thank you google for this crazy easter egg :)

rtc1036

Feb 25, 2011
Ok, I may be dumb and not really familiar with bluetooth, but can I get some help with this? I've got them paired, but how do I get them to connect?

epik151

Feb 23, 2011
so does this mean anyone with a smartphone data plan should not need the pLAN for xoom?

I dont see a tether option.

Same with me, paired but not connected.

Verizon fascinate.

Last edited:

Droid4All

Apr 12, 2010
I'm trying to connect to my OG droid and I am having trouble connecting as well. It pairs just fine. To the users having trouble, are you rooted with a custom rom and kernel? I'm trying to narrow this issue since others on the same mobile device are having success.

Alpha Axl

Jun 16, 2010
Do you have to be rooted (on the phone side) to be able to successfully do this? I have a Droid X and tried tethering my PSP the other night and no luck, might be a similar situation.

blozout

Nov 14, 2009
Why not just use "wireless tether" form the market? Or does it not work on the Droid X? I was using it to tether my Xoom to my Evo running on Sprints 4G....

arrtoodeetoo

Dec 31, 2010
WiFi Tether doesn't work for some of us because Android doesn't connect through ad-hoc. The bluetooth solution sounds like our only option aside from wired tethering.

Alpha Axl

Jun 16, 2010
Why not just use "wireless tether" form the market? Or does it not work on the Droid X? I was using it to tether my Xoom to my Evo running on Sprints 4G....

My Droid X works fine with my laptop, but not with certain devices. My Xoom is being delivered later today and I'll let you know how it goes. =P

WiFi Tether doesn't work for some of us because Android doesn't connect through ad-hoc. The bluetooth solution sounds like our only option aside from wired tethering.

Is Bluetooth as relatively fast as WiFi?

BHack

Jun 13, 2010
Pair but can't connect with EVO.

Anyone wanna shed some light here? Is it just the Droid X this works with?

rquellet

Sep 17, 2010
The DroidX has trouble with data connectivity(3g) with the current release Wireless Tether app. There is a prerelease 2.07 that fixes this. I am now wifi and bluetooth tethering without data disconnects. Download the release from the wireless tether website.

Reactions: Droid4All

parrotheadmjb

Feb 21, 2009
The DroidX has trouble with data connectivity(3g) with the current release Wireless Tether app. There is a prerelease 2.07 that fixes this. I am now wifi and bluetooth tethering without data disconnects. Download the release from the wireless tether website.

I tether my droidx to my Xoom to use its unlimited data. Works fine, most of the time, but I do have to stop/start wifi tether on my droidx occasionally.

Droid4All

Apr 12, 2010
Update: I downloaded the experimental apk on the wireless tether's site and installed it on my Droid. My Xoom is now able to use my Droid's data via bluetooth option. JACKPOT!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

works great for me.

baller status.
    OK I finally got this working. Here is what I did to spell it out.

1) make sure you have the latest wireless tether app from market. Do not use the experimental like previously stated cause it doesn't have the blue tooth in there
    2) configure the wireless tether app to use blue tooth and not wifi
    3) turn on bluetooth and discovery on the OG Droid
    4) discover the of droid from the xoom and pair both
    5) now turn on the wireless tether (bluetooth) on the of droid
    6) now back on the xoom, click the wrench on the droid paired line and select the tether profile. It should connect and show a larger bluetooth icon down by battery.

You should now be working. Cheers!

Sent from my Xoom using XDA App
    I'm using the built in hotspot in CM7 on my Evo and do not have a problem. I tested it on the store demo before picking the Xoom up.

I haven't tried the bluetooth tethering yet but is there a battery or speed benifit over wifi tethering?

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium App
    Bluetooth by definition uses less power than wifi. The Max speed is limited to around 800kbps on my droid x. Wifi tethering brings my Max speed up to 1500kbps(my avg 3g Max speed). Bluetooth tether can also be initiated from the xoom without having to start the tether app on my phone. That is really convienient.

So, I dont know the actual battery life difference other than bluetooth should use less.
    Atrix and Xoom hook up

Reezy23 asked for a specific solution on hooking up the Atrix and Xoom. This may be old news, but I finally got my Atrix and Xoom tethered last night and checked it again this morning and it hooks right up. The following sequence is what initially enabled the tether connection, however, today, I find I can cut out many steps which I will summarize at the end.

First, getting the Atrix and Xoom to pair was not an issue, however, getting them to "connect" was the problem. After they have beeen paired but not connected, I shut off both the wi-fi and bluetooth on both the Atrix and Xoom and then started the Wireless Tether App (version 2.07) on the Atrix. The only boxes I activated in the Wireless Bluetooth app menu was the "Use Bluetooth" and "Discoverable" boxes. Start the Wireless Tether app and touch "Yes" to turn on the "Bluetooth permission request" box that pops up on the Atrix. Then, go to the Xoom and make certain the "Bluetooth tethering" box is checked under the "Tethering and portable hotspot" setting on the Xoom. Then, turn on "Bluetooth" on the Xoom and select "Bluetooth settings." Touch (hold for a moment) the "wrench" by your "Atrix paired device but still not connected" and another box should appear that says "Tethering." Touch the "Tethering" and it should say it is connecting and then it will change to "Tethered", and a blue Bluetooth symbol will appear in the notification area. At that point you are good to go. If you check the "Paired devices" on your Xoom, it will now say it is paired with the Atrix. However, on the Atrix, it never does say it is paired.

Today I find that if I have Bluetooth on both the Xoom and Atrix and the Bluetooth tethering enabled on the Xoom, all I have to do is start the Wireless Tether app on the Atrix, touch the "yes" button to the Bluetooth pemission request that come up, go to the Xoom and press the wrench on the Atix pairing, touch Tether, and it hooks up. For all the trial and error to get it going, it sure is a breeze once it makes the first connect.