[All XDA Members] Requests to Moderators and Admins

Search This thread

xtal191

Feb 18, 2011
Hey I'm trying to get in to iphone-developers using the import xda account but keeps failing and asking me to enter id and passwrod again

Any help please?

milski65

Oct 15, 2010
Orange
Hey all. Question. I'm having consistent connection problems to favorites when I try to open. No other sites I have issues with. Security warning. Anything I can do to fix it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

N

NOOK!E

Bug report

@svetius @bitpushr @the_scotsman

It could just be me and my connection, but all of the images uploaded by users but hosted by XDA (Signature Pictures, Profile Pictures, Avatars [when in profile], Social Group icons) are either not appearing or appearing as black-outlined boxes with the image's caption inside.

:confused:

Last edited:

the_scotsman

Assistant Forum Admin
Staff member

It could just be me and my connection, but all of the images uploaded by users but hosted by XDA (Signature Pictures, Profile Pictures, Avatars [when in profile]) are either not appearing or appearing as black-outlined boxes with the image's caption inside.

Yep, we're currently doing some upgrades/maintenance on our servers, which means some of the avatars, attachments etc will be intermittent for a while. They'll be working again soon :)

bitpushr

Retired XDA:Administrator

It could just be me and my connection, but all of the images uploaded by users but hosted by XDA (Signature Pictures, Profile Pictures, Avatars [when in profile], Social Group icons) are either not appearing or appearing as black-outlined boxes with the image's caption inside.

Yes as @the_scotsman said, I was doing some server maintenance and had to take those offline for a bit. For most people the CDN cached them. It should be back in working order now, we may have a brief period again when this is happening tonight (EST).

D

Darth

Attachments

• 1422658368487.jpg
    1422658368487.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 187

riahc3

Oct 28, 2009
There needs to be a "What device do I get" section:

A thread dedicated to this has its problems.

First off, its huge. You cant look at someone that maybe has the same requirements as you and see what other people said about it. A typical example is a lot of people that want to switch to a Nexus phone. It would be easier to search for that in that section, see what people say and then not have to make the same thing again
Second, way too many posts. Similar to one but if the thread is on page 1000 and some posts a thread saying "What phone do I get?" later another 10 people post the same thing and we are on page 1001. Everything on page 1000 gets lost because noone looks thru them. You would have to double post.

A dedicated section where people can post threads on what device they are look for wouldnt clutter the forums and would let everyone express what they are looking for.

The XDA forums are getting WAY WAY too cluttered:

Back when XDA started out, it was pretty big but more or less guidable. Now.....its just a joke.

Looking for someone is basically impossible in the all section. My personal improvement would be something like the Steam forums.

They have thousands of games but they are put into a "grid like" view. Apply the same thing here and you can even add a + icon next to each device and it would expand the usual General, Q&A, Dev, etc.

Its just getting too much bloat and it takes a hit on page loading (and I imagine the servers/database as well)

D

Darth

First off, its huge. You cant look at someone that maybe has the same requirements as you and see what other people said about it. A typical example is a lot of people that want to switch to a Nexus phone. It would be easier to search for that in that section, see what people say and then not have to make the same thing again
Second, way too many posts. Similar to one but if the thread is on page 1000 and some posts a thread saying "What phone do I get?" later another 10 people post the same thing and we are on page 1001. Everything on page 1000 gets lost because noone looks thru them. You would have to double post.

A dedicated section where people can post threads on what device they are look for wouldnt clutter the forums and would let everyone express what they are looking for.

Back when XDA started out, it was pretty big but more or less guidable. Now.....its just a joke.

Looking for someone is basically impossible in the all section. My personal improvement would be something like the Steam forums.

They have thousands of games but they are put into a "grid like" view. Apply the same thing here and you can even add a + icon next to each device and it would expand the usual General, Q&A, Dev, etc.

Its just getting too much bloat and it takes a hit on page loading (and I imagine the servers/database as well)

Just my thoughts on this...

The question itself should not even really need to be asked, not on a website dedicated to Development. People that frequent XDA should know that it's up to all of us here to read, research, learn and read. If someone is interested in a Nexus 6 let's say...... Then go to the Nexus 6 section and do some research.

I don't get why someone would want others to make their decision for them, or expect others to tell them all about the Nexus 6, when we have a section dedicated to the device.

So, there is a dedicated thread in general on this, and other threads created daily in the different device sections. An entire section on this would be threads and threads of nearly the same thing. I don't see it happening. And again, XDA is a development site, not a review site. ☺

And as far as XDA Developers being cluttered to the point of being a "joke"..... What you are suggesting is another whole section of non development clutter. ?

Again, just my opinion here. But I believe in researching ones self. Not asking others to feed you info to sway your decisions. ?

Last edited:
N

NOOK!E

@bonerp, you have a couple of options to hide the sidebar:

• If you ever are able to switch over to Mozilla Firefox, you can use @anazhd's sidepanel hider userscript to hide the sidebar.
  • Because for now you have to keep IE8, you can get rid of the sidebar by changing the forum theme. Scroll down to the bottom of any XDA page, and on the bottom left, you will see a small text-box-looking menu that currently says "XDA 2015". Click on it and select "XDA 2013 Beta - 1024". Now, you have no sidebar.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

riahc3

Oct 28, 2009
Just my thoughts on this...

The question itself should not even really need to be asked, not on a website dedicated to Development. People that frequent XDA should know that it's up to all of us here to read, research, learn and read. If someone is interested in a Nexus 6 let's say...... Then go to the Nexus 6 section and do some research.

I don't get why someone would want others to make their decision for them, or expect others to tell them all about the Nexus 6, when we have a section dedicated to the device.

So, there is a dedicated thread in general on this, and other threads created daily in the different device sections. An entire section on this would be threads and threads of nearly the same thing. I don't see it happening. And again, XDA is a development site, not a review site.
You are wrong on so many levels.

This websites foundation was based on development. Before 2009 , I was here, mostly as a lurker. Afterwards, I joined and saw this as a helpful places but strictly for development. There was very little layway for non development questions. Most would get ignored, wouldnt be get front page, etc.

You have to notice that people only talked about one OS here: Windows Mobile. There was some Symbian talk, Some BlackBerry talk and others but thats about it. The core was Windows Mobile.

This website has changed drastically over the years. Its core without a doubt is still development but now the Windows Mobile version of 2009 is in 2015 Android and its so many different distributions. I repeat that development is still the core of the site but now people have so many questions, requests, problems, etc.....that it would be impossible for XDA to lock down the way it locked down in 2009.

Picture it with a question: In 2009, how many people had a Windows Mobile device? Because "development" on the iPhone was really young while Windows Mobile already had a large lead and several dedicated developers for it. On top of that, what was the price range for both WM and the iPhone? Very large. Skip to 2015, we have $50 Android phones that can be developed for.....EVERYONE has one, not limited like in 2009.

This goes back to more and more people, developers and non, joining the site looking for information about their device or developing for their device. Because this is like a chicken and egg game: Who came before the developers with knowledge or knowledge for the developers?

And as far as XDA Developers being cluttered to the point of being a "joke"..... What you are suggesting is another whole section of non development clutter.

Again, just my opinion here. But I believe in researching ones self. Not asking others to feed you info to sway your decisions.
I dont know off the top my head but I am most sure that the "non development clutter" now has WAY more activity than the development clutter. Thats why everything needs to be reorganized.

On top of that, you said this is a developers site; The web developing here is HORRIBLE. It looks pretty of course, but load times, server load, database performance, all feel slow and chunky. We need to focus on that, not looking pretty.

D

Darth

You are wrong on so many levels.

This websites foundation was based on development. Before 2009 , I was here, mostly as a lurker. Afterwards, I joined and saw this as a helpful places but strictly for development. There was very little layway for non development questions. Most would get ignored, wouldnt be get front page, etc.

You have to notice that people only talked about one OS here: Windows Mobile. There was some Symbian talk, Some BlackBerry talk and others but thats about it. The core was Windows Mobile.

This website has changed drastically over the years. Its core without a doubt is still development but now the Windows Mobile version of 2009 is in 2015 Android and its so many different distributions. I repeat that development is still the core of the site but now people have so many questions, requests, problems, etc.....that it would be impossible for XDA to lock down the way it locked down in 2009.

Picture it with a question: In 2009, how many people had a Windows Mobile device? Because "development" on the iPhone was really young while Windows Mobile already had a large lead and several dedicated developers for it. On top of that, what was the price range for both WM and the iPhone? Very large. Skip to 2015, we have $50 Android phones that can be developed for.....EVERYONE has one, not limited like in 2009.

This goes back to more and more people, developers and non, joining the site looking for information about their device or developing for their device. Because this is like a chicken and egg game: Who came before the developers with knowledge or knowledge for the developers?

I dont know off the top my head but I am most sure that the "non development clutter" now has WAY more activity than the development clutter. Thats why everything needs to be reorganized.

On top of that, you said this is a developers site; The web developing here is HORRIBLE. It looks pretty of course, but load times, server load, database performance, all feel slow and chunky. We need to focus on that, not looking pretty.

Well, you're certainly entitled to your opinions of course. ?

This isn't a discussion thread, so I won't comment further than my opinions above, and Admin will see your feedback. However, your post isn't really what this thread is intended for...... a more appropriate thread for your ideas/concerns is likely here,

[All XDA Members] Feedback/Recommendations for XDA

That is the thread for recommendations and will get you the best attention.

Cheers! ?

vanessaem

Retired Senior Moderator / Recognized Themer
Jun 7, 2010
Missouri City

I don't think we will be able to do anything about threads getting too cluttered. We just have way more people than we did when you first started. I do agree that there are a lot of "Which device should I get?" threads. However, I doubt creating a separate section will fix that. One reason is people will still create those threads outside this section anyway. Plus, what's to stop people from posting multiple threads asking about the same device in this section? It's already happening without this proposed section.

Last edited:

the_scotsman

Assistant Forum Admin
Staff member

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hi, can you create a new thread with the name: WP12 PRO, and move all post between me and PYCON in the WP12 PRO thread please.​

Hello and good morning, @SwedishForenger

Certainly, I could but I don't understand why I should become owner of such a thread? Why don't you create the thread and in turn request the move of the respective posts?

Regards
    Oswald Boelcke
    Hello and good morning, @SwedishForenger

Certainly, I could but I don't understand why I should become owner of such a thread? Why don't you create the thread and in turn request the move of the respective posts?

Regards
    Oswald Boelcke

Thanks for your reply.
    Yes of course, I'm sorry, I just assumed that as an admin or Moderator you had access to such tools to create threads for me, and move posts directly, since I as a regular user cant move post etc..

I created the thread here:

Good afternoon, @SwedishForenger

Just to be sure that I move the correct post and not to leave it to my guess, could you provide me with the numbers of the posts that are supposed to be moved.
    Or do you indeed mean that all of your posts and all of @PYCON's posts in that thread should be moved to the new ones?

Regards
    Oswald Boelcke

Thank you.
    Yes, move it all. It became clear to me after a while, that it was the WP12 pro he was asking for help on, on my thread on WP17 pro. I will redirect him to the new thread.
    Thanks for your reply.
    Yes of course, I'm sorry, I just assumed that as an admin or Moderator you had access to such tools to create threads for me, and move posts directly, since I as a regular user cant move post etc..

I created the thread here:

Good afternoon, @SwedishForenger

Just to be sure that I move the correct post and not to leave it to my guess, could you provide me with the numbers of the posts that are supposed to be moved.
    Or do you indeed mean that all of your posts and all of @PYCON's posts in that thread should be moved to the new ones?

Regards
    Oswald Boelcke
    Thank you.
    Yes, move it all. It became clear to me after a while, that it was the WP12 pro he was asking for help on, on my thread on WP17 pro. I will redirect him to the new thread.
    Accomplished.

Would you mind to check if I moved the correct ones or missed one?

Regards
    Oswald Boelcke
    Rather than sending a PM to an individual Moderator, please feel free to ask questions in need of Moderator or Admin assistance. We will all be monitoring this thread, and someone will reply without much delay. In order to hopefully address some of the possible questions, please review the following points which frequently come up:

• Username Change - Send a PM to either MikeChannon or the_scotsman in the first instance. Be sure to include what you would like your name changed to, and also why you want it changed. Providing that information in the initial PM will save us a reply asking for it. There is no official limit on name changes, but keep it reasonable or you'll be stuck.
    • New Forum Requests
    • Operator or Country Flag Incorrect/Missing

If you are not a moderator or admin on the forums, please do NOT respond to any posts in the thread. This includes the incredibly tempting. Given the overall size of XDA and potential ramifications, we need to ensure that only people authorized to speak on our behalf do so. Please, and thank you in advance.

Edit done to OP for updates by CJK

This thread hereby replaces (requests) From the Users to the Mods & Admins, which has been closed and archived. There will be zero tolerance for off topic posting in here. Regardless of forum reputation, warnings and/or infractions will be issued to anyone disregarding such a simple request. There will also be no flaming of members posting in here. Report it, and move along.
    Last 3-4 of my 6 post reports have been dismissed without even getting "review"ed (I checked back the post by clicking on "report post" button and it doesnt even show "this post has been reported" notice). What could be reason to this? I want to think that it is not personal...

They were reviewed. Sometimes moderators take no action, as they think that none is required. It's not personal, don't worry about it :)
    Last 3-4 of my 6 post reports have been dismissed without even getting "review"ed (I checked back the post by clicking on "report post" button and it doesnt even show "this post has been reported" notice). What could be reason to this? I want to think that it is not personal...
    Hello and thank you for the forum! I can't add to My Devices that I have a Xiaomi Redmi 4A. A bug in the forum software?
    I am unable to private message anyone on xda website, only the option to send by email.

What do you mean?

What way are you trying to send a Private message?

You can go to your PM Inbox and New Private Message, and send a PM to anyone.

But if you click on someone's username in the forums, and you don't see the Private Message option, that person has disabled allowing other members to send them a PM.