My Verizon Mobile App just asked for superuser permission

Search This thread

hairdewx

Feb 28, 2009
Updated today, 4/8/2014

I tried to make a phone call and My Verizon Mobile asked for superuser permission. I denied it.

What is going on?

Reactions: bigbaluka

bigbaluka

Feb 14, 2014
Spokane Washington
Why Might this App Need SU Permissions?

Updated today, 4/8/2014

I tried to make a phone call and My Verizon Mobile asked for superuser permission. I denied it.

What is going on?

Me too!! I updated it April 8, 2014 and immediately after the update I got a request for SuperSu privileges. I’ve been with Verizon since the beginning and I love their coverage but I’m seriously considering another carrier. With locked bootloaders, their refusal to allow certain unlocked phones on their network, (Nexus 5, Many versions of Galaxy Sx, and the list goes on) and now this! Not to mention their egregious disregard of the Privacy Act of 1974 while collecting data for God knows who,(I’m sure the list is longer than we know). Of course I may be being cynical as I don’t know the reason for the SU request, but this app thus far, has served its function well without any SU permissions. I’d love to see some informed speculations on why this app is doing this.

Novakingwai

Mar 10, 2013
I haven't gotten this, but I haven't updated. I'm running a custom ROM. Are you guys using stock? There is an Xposed Module called Root Cloak that you can hide root access from certain apps.

pkopalek

Feb 11, 2010
Buffalo, NY
It's possible that this is a way for Verizon to see that your phone is rooted so that they can screw you over on any warranties.

Galaxy Note 2 guy here with a mostly-stock ROM going on.

Same here, and it appears to be this way across the board for users.

I gotta make sure my girlfriend doesn't click 'Grant' on her S4. Could be bad news bears.

bigbaluka

Feb 14, 2014
Spokane Washington
No Stock ROM Here

I haven't gotten this, but I haven't updated. I'm running a custom ROM. Are you guys using stock? There is an Xposed Module called Root Cloak that you can hide root access from certain apps.

I’m using a custom ROM and got the SU Permission request right after I updated My Verizon Mobil or I may have launched the app. I’m on a Verizon Galaxy S3 I-535 with … Alliance ROM Build 22. I change ROMs sometimes but this is the first ROM with this updated version My Verizon Mobil.

BigMcGuire

Nov 29, 2010
California
Verizon has waged war on all the rooted users!!!! If Ask Root user violation = true, lol. They're cutting into the ad revenue! No more forced adware, profits decreasing! Must force adware on users who buy their own phones!

WeThePeople13

Jan 5, 2012
I am set to auto allow..... now what?? I allowed it and nothing happened...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

BigMcGuire

Nov 29, 2010
California
I am set to auto allow..... now what?? I allowed it and nothing happened...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

I think we can safely say that Verizon doing this is not going to be something in your best interest. Probably nothing will happen now but I imagine they could use this in the future to single out rooted users. Big companies move slow, but almost always one can assume moves like this will only be a negative for us rooted users.

M

mdorrett

Mine did the same thing. Granted SU permision. The way I see it is I payed full retail off contract and do not carry warrantee so it don't matter lol

Galaxy Note 3 Stock Rooted Xposed
Galaxy Gear Rooted Null Rom
Suck It Nerds!

bigbaluka

Feb 14, 2014
Spokane Washington
I decided I don't need the convenience of this app. Did a clean install of Alliance ROM and did not include My Verizon or any Verizon apps in the selectable options during Aroma installation. Thanks Beans for an extremely customizable ROM!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

adoublearonn

Aug 26, 2007
Detroit, MI
https://gist.github.com/Tortel/10276327

That is the code which was in the comments of that article. It does look like it is gathering rooted status as part of all your phone's info to send back to Verizon.

Whether hitting deny makes it return "NO" or not is confusing because I tried the command in the terminal emulator and when you deny root it does not return "permission denied" which is what it looks like is required to set rooted to NO. When I run the command and deny root it just gives no response.

Sent from my SM-N900V using xda app-developers app

Reactions: Zlatty

speedtek

Jun 22, 2010
This happened on my Galaxy S4 today. I denied it the first time it popped up, then a couple hours later I went to hang up after talking to my wife and the popup was there again - and it just so happened that "Allow" is right where the End Call button is! I noticed it right as I hit the button. Not happy.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Updated today, 4/8/2014

What is going on?
    It's possible that this is a way for Verizon to see that your phone is rooted so that they can screw you over on any warranties.
    https://gist.github.com/Tortel/10276327

That is the code which was in the comments of that article. It does look like it is gathering rooted status as part of all your phone's info to send back to Verizon.

Whether hitting deny makes it return "NO" or not is confusing because I tried the command in the terminal emulator and when you deny root it does not return "permission denied" which is what it looks like is required to set rooted to NO. When I run the command and deny root it just gives no response.

Sent from my SM-N900V using xda app-developers app
    Seeing as how I work for verizon wireless tech support and I already did a write up on this and most people in the thread haven't been answered. Here is my previous answer, feel free to ask more.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/24p1ny/psa_my_verizon_mobile_superuser_request/

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 PM ----------

Mine did the same thing. Granted SU permision. The way I see it is I payed full retail off contract and do not carry warrantee so it don't matter lol

Galaxy Note 3 Stock Rooted Xposed
    Galaxy Gear Rooted Null Rom
    Suck It Nerds!

I work for Verizon Wireless technical support, if you pay off the device full retail it still carries a 1 year MFG warranty for a replaement over the phone, also if you have extended warranty, total equipment coverage, or total mobile protection the extended warranty is still valid all the time.