Sony Ericsson MBW-150 OLED repairs

Search This thread

netstat_EVO

Feb 15, 2011
I have recently picked up a SE MBW-150 Music Edition... Just to be plagued with the super dim OLED screen issue.

From what I have read, there seems to be two major issues with these watches that are deal breakers for most people, as SE won't repair/replace your device unless it is still under warranty (kind of hard to do since they are out of production).

1) Battery issues. Status: solved, thanks to XDA members

2) Fading/dead OLED display. Status: doesn't appear that anyone has tackled this problem yet.

So, after being plenty pissed that the gift I had just bought myself was broken. I decided to get past it and make the best of it.... And take it apart.

--------------------------------------------------------------
If you don't like reading, start here.
The top part is just me being long winded.

There are two pieces of good news...
1) It still works after I got done snooping around inside and put it back together.
2) I think I have sourced replacement OLED displays.

I am waiting for the display panels I ordered to be shipped, and I will be the first guinea pig to see if my solution works.

After that (providing that everything goes well) I would be willing to offer repairs on a first come first serve basis for a nominal fee (cover parts, shipping, and buy me a beer lol).

If you don't like reading, stop here... Lazy.

So all in all, I really have some hope for extending the life of a product that all of us paid way to much for to get just enough life out of to get out of warranty. I really don't see how Sony Ericsson can do this to us in the first place, charge top dollar and then out right refuse to service them if they are out of warranty.

Once I get the panels in, I will post pics of before and after.

Hopefully after will be a pic of my MBW-150 Music with a working display... But there is always the chance of it being a pic of melted pieces, char marks, and bandages... Lets hope for the first one :)

30-Mar-2011 Update:
4-8 week for delivery of initial order of red oled displays.

31-Mar-2011 Update:
Added information on OLED displays I am trying
to work with. Link to post

Last edited:

netstat_EVO

Feb 15, 2011
Just an FYI.

The displays I am getting are red OLED.
having the music edition, I wanted orange, like the OEM screen but I couldn't find them anywhere. Red seemed like it would semi match the color scheme.

The brightness rating was lower on red, but predicted lifespan was almost double that of the other colors.

netstat_EVO

Feb 15, 2011
UPDATE FROM SUPPLIER:
4-8 Weeks for delivery.

UPDATE FROM ME:
Prices are looking good. My initial order was only two displays (one for the watch, and one in case I screw up). Total price with displays and shipping was just under $30 US.

hausman

May 22, 2006
There's a set of 96x16 for $15 on Ebay; I was thinking they might be similar to the originals for my Executive edition (says blue). I haven't disassembled my 150 yet to see if they're the same display, but the specs mentioned hot bar contacts. My soldering skills wouldn't lend themselves to something like this, but definitely keep us posted on how this works. I would love to get my 150 working again. I hope you manage to solve this issue!

netstat_EVO

Feb 15, 2011
There's a set of 96x16 for $15 on Ebay; I was thinking they might be similar to the originals for my Executive edition (says blue). I haven't disassembled my 150 yet to see if they're the same display, but the specs mentioned hot bar contacts. My soldering skills wouldn't lend themselves to something like this, but definitely keep us posted on how this works. I would love to get my 150 working again. I hope you manage to solve this issue!

Just looked up the eBay one.

Those use a tab connector, not solder-on. And ribbon location is wrong. Good find though, I am constantly looking for alternatives in case mine won't work.

netstat_EVO

Feb 15, 2011
look at this it will help you I hope...

Already have that. But thanks.

Their internal photos are public through the FCC. But they applied for, and received, a permanent confidentiality status on the parts list. Which, from what I can tell, only screws us on the screen as all markings on the chips and other components are readily visible.

netstat_EVO

Feb 15, 2011
Been thinking about why I was holding back on specs for the displays I have on order...

Mostly holding back in case I was completely off the mark on these actually working, and didn't want to look like a dumb ass if it failed... But that doesn't make any sense, if it fails I will look like a dumb ass regardless of if people know what components I was using or not lol.

So, in the spirit of XDA, and getting things done as a community, here's what I am using.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disclaimer!!! - I don't know if these will even work yet!
If you further break your broken watch by using these,
it is NOT MY FAULT. Proceed with caution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Truly Semiconductor TOB9M0023-R-E / OEL9M0023-R-E
96x16 pixel, 0.8" diagonal size, 31-pin, red OLED display.

Link to technical brief

Edit: Also, you will see in the tech brief that these are available in red, yellow, green, blue, and white... If they end up working this leaves us some new found room for customization. :)

Edit Edit: sample photo from manufacturer.
OEL9M0023-B-E-2.jpg

Last edited:

netstat_EVO

Feb 15, 2011
More info.

While I had an electrical engineer in my office today, I decided to pick his brain on this whole project... his verdict was that he is certain that the Truly displays will work, which leaves the only potential issue left to be fitting the face of the display into the black plastic behind the face of the watch. (Hopefully it fits right in)

Awesome news?

tektor

Apr 2, 2009
Waiting with bated breath

Looking forward to hearing your results. And I thought I was a fan of the MBWs!
I have 3 of them, one with the dim oled.
Anyone know where to get a replacement band for the Classic?

Thank you!!

JimSmith94

Jul 21, 2007
Midlothian, TX
Smart Watches
Android Wear
Looking forward to hearing your results. And I thought I was a fan of the MBWs!
I have 3 of them, one with the dim oled.
Anyone know where to get a replacement band for the Classic?

Thank you!!

I have three of these myself, also one with the dim LED. In the OpenWatch thread, someone posted a link to replacement Music Edition bands here: http://www.gigatel.hu/G21654. It's not in English so I can't tell if they offer the other bands or not. Maybe they're the same anyway.

Someone else bought an aftermarket tan one that looks good: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=7240435

benjilu

Apr 5, 2011
I would be interested in repairs/replacement of OLED display as well as i have the executive edition and realize how important it is when it's NOT working properly!!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    New OLED

Hi! I got to change the display!
    I used RGS08096016B001.
    Ritdisplay firm.
    DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg
    four times click bottom-right button after that one click top-right button
    Hey :)

What do you think about: Monochrome yellow 96x16 oled graphic display ??

You can see this oled on ebay. Would be work with MBW-150 ??

... i have info for you :)
    Display on ebay is OSRAM/PICTIVA...i have purchased it from the seller in white color.
    Seller say, that display must be same as my original...BUT NOT!!!
    Display is connected from another side, is larger , and show pictures like mirrored.
    Driver is SSD1303

img2709j.jpg

BTW...after hard searching on internet i have found manufacturer of original display.
    It is RiTdisplay company...so i have contacted him and here is reply....not good reply :(

Dear Sir,

After check the product --P13707 , the project was EOL before 3 years ago.
    I'm afraid that you need to find other item and change design.

regards,
    Joanne Tien
    RiTdisplay Corporation
    Seen the first link, didn't think it applied because it looks like the FPC is facing towards the camera as well as the PCB. It was my understanding that the OLED FPC had a much finer pitch than the one shown in the first video. The second video does not apply much at all due to the OLED having windowed leads vs the standard leads on the SE display.

Very happy about the step by step instructions you gave for disassembling the watch though! :D Where did you purchase the displays from?

Also, you were able to remove the old display without damaging the PCB contacts?! you must post pictures! I'm very interested! :)

I ordered the displays from http://sales.trulydisplays.com/ using the part number for the white display linked to earlier, OEL9M0023-W-E.

I took this picture with my phone and it's a little blurry, plus the forum resized it. While some of the display leads were broken in the process, I think you can see that the contacts on the watch are intact.