KitKat - the 4.4.2 update - discussion thread

Search This thread

kude87

Jan 2, 2013
Denver, CO
Ok... but to be clear, was your phone build JSS15J.1605VRUEMJ9 ?

I have yet to see anyone with this build who has rooted successfully.

I know you say your SDM won't let you read your about phone, but hopefully you still know what build you have.

Thank you so much for this. If you confirm you have same build as mine. I will try it. Then I just run it as normal, freezing SDM 1.0. And can even delete amazon crap etc, right?

forgive my naivety.... I have never done anything like this before. I'm just a mom with an awesome phone who wants to keep it that way.

I was under the impression that saferoot worked perfectly fine on 4.3. I'm on a custom TW rom now so it's already rooted, but I've rooted an S4 on 4.3 no issues. Similar situation.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

TonikJDK

Dec 9, 2012
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Yes, I am on that build. Just unfroze to make sure. I think you might be confusing rooting and unlocking. No one hard unlocked the bootloader on this version. But root is no problem.

Daciple

Jan 31, 2011
Ohio
daciple.wordpress.com
Yes, I am on that build. Just unfroze to make sure. I think you might be confusing rooting and unlocking. No one hard unlocked the bootloader on this version. But root is no problem.

Supported. It has been quite easy to obtain root. But yes unfortunately Knox holds its name well & the bootloader is still locked down good. Overall enjoying the benefits from root are still there. Just no custom recovery or flashing ROMS or mods are achievable. safestrap is in alpha now though. So those things are coming possible to a extent

Sent from my Note II using N3BULA2!

mrraya

Dec 12, 2012
we may not be able to unlock the bootloader but safestrap is already being tested so custom roms are going to be running soon

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

funnyperson1

Jul 17, 2007
Any clue from anyone as to when we might see a 4.4.2 tw rom?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Apparently there was a leak of 4.4.2 for the international version. I'm sure an enterprising dev could port it to our device. My guess is that the official international version comes out in April and the Verizon version comes out in like October after the Note 4 is released...

satseaker

Feb 10, 2011
If you want tether or root I would stay away from kit kat til the devs have really been on it, almost all the other devices that already have kit kat are locked down to beat all.

akroeger1984

Oct 18, 2012
Salem
Awesome, less than a month away. L18 any plans to develop a tw rom using 4.4.2?

Rudy_Ruettiger

Mar 17, 2011
I'm surprised we haven't seen a leak yet. Beanstown just released some sort of special note 3 leak a couple of days ago.

stephjmort

Mar 17, 2014
Ok, thanks so much for verifying your build for me. I think I am going to take the plunge. I have a few more questions. Remember the most I have ever done is sideload apps and clean app caches, so this is a big big deal for me. My questions are the following:

1. I have about 140 apps installed on my phone, can I perform this Kingo root without any special preparation? Will I lose anything?

2. I just follow the directions on the Kingo site right? no command prompts no funky programming. I just download the root, plug in the phone, set to debugging, and do everything in order stated on their instructions, being careful with cords and connections and battery and making sure nothing is touched while it's doing it... and that's all I need to do?

3. If yes to above... Superuser will just be there? I don't need to install that? Then, I use superuser to access stuff? How do I find the apps I want to remove that are system installed apps. Since I have root, can I just go to my app manager and will the delete option be there since I am rooted, or do I access them only through superuser, or titanium. I am confused about that aspect. I think I have an old Chinese tablet with a resistive screen that is running 2.1 that came to me rooted, I should go check that out... but this device is so much newer, not sure it will be the same.

And don't worry, I won't delete anything important, but I do want to delete, not freeze Amazon mp3, Amazon, google music, google books, NFL... stuff like that. I will probably leave the verizon stuff there just in case, and use Titanium (which I realize I must download) to freeze the SDK as you suggested. I use apex launcher, and have so many apps hidden it's SICK... there is so much bloatware on here. Once I unhide them, I'll see how much more crap I have that I forgot about. But I DETEST football, so the NFL one just irks me. It's like an insult to me that it's on ther when I didn't put it there myself.

That's the thing, it's the principal of the thing. I want the ability to choose what is on MY device. Which is why I hate apple... when I used to love them back in the day. they are still beautiful refined devices though....

Thanks in advance for walking me through this, I am VERY SCARED, but don't know anyone locally who can do it for me.

rufflez2010

Mar 13, 2010
Hopefully the camera get fixed for aosp roms cm11. It works but frequently needs a reboot.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts