{KERNEL-SOURCE} GoDmOdE-EVO-2.6.29 {Make Shift Kernel}[SENSORS-LIGHTS-PANEL-FIXED]

Search This thread

toastcfh

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 11, 2009
Lakeland, FL
THIS SOURCE WILL WORK ON ALL CURRENT HTC EVO'S!!!

i found the board files for the EVO a while back but wanted to wait til we at least had the release RUU to release it. now the actual kernel itself isnt a EVO kernel. its actually an Incredible kernel source with the EVO board files in it. that said i had to mod the board files a little to get it to compile. anyhow link below and remember to fork as it helps github and everyone. thanx :D

GoDmOdE-EVO

Commit log:

Sat May 22, 2010 - First-commit-0_o = first commit :p

Sat Jun 19, 2010 - Fix the wimax LED, capella prox sensor. Add epson panel support for supersonic
(panel_type=0), which is present on
hardware revision 3. Implement 9bit spi.
- by Joe Hansche (maejrep)

Sun Jun 20, 2010 - Add some more epson vs novatec fixes - by Joe Hansche (maejrep)

Mon Jun 21, 2010 - Fix proximity sensor and Implement wimax LED control. These commits also fixed issues with all other sensors, and enabling them to all work!!! - by Joe Hansche (maejrep)

THIS IS A UPDATE.ZIP THAT CAN BE USED WITH FRESH ROM, TO BOOT THIS KERNEL WITHOUT WIPING. PLEEEEEESE DO A NANDROID BACKUP BEFORE FLASHING THIS UPDATE.ZIP. SO U CAN JUST NANDROID RESTORE UR DEVICE BACK TO NORMAL AFTER UR DONE PLAYING ;) . ANYHOW CAMERA IS NOT WORKING AND THERE SEEM TO BE WHATS THOUGHT TO BE VSYNC ISSUES. ANYHOW ENJOY!!!

http://link.geekfor.me/godmodefreshhh

of course dont turn this thread into a this is broke can u please fix it thread. :rolleyes:

:D

IF U WOULD LIKE TO HELP OUT OR BUILD UR OWN KERNEL FROM THIS SOURCE, PLEASE FORK. THIS IS ADVISED BY GITHUB AND ALSO BY ME. AS IT MAKE PULLING CHANGES TO AND FROM BRANCHES MUCH EASIER. THIS IS A GOOD THING FOR U AND ME. IF I MAKE A COMMIT U WANNA ADD U CAN EASILY SYNC UP WITH ME AND VICE VERSA. WORKS OUT GREAT FOR EVERYONE AND KEEPS US COMPLETELY OPEN, AFTER ALL WERE ALL ON THE SAME TEAM.

Last edited:

rekphiv

Oct 7, 2008
Im a little too buzzed atm. What exactly is this and what does it mean for us?:confused: explain and ill understand it in the A.M.:p

toastcfh

Feb 11, 2009
Lakeland, FL
so far i know a lot of good devs coming over. im pre-ordered so as soon as it shows up at best buy ill be struggling for root again. ;)

joeykrim

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 9, 2009
can this kernel be loaded onto one of the google I/O event EVOs to test?

joeykrim

Jan 9, 2009
The device isn't root yet ;)
now i see the catch 22...sorry im new to all this and dont have an EVO to experiment with...
could this kernel be combined with the standard ramdisk into a boot.img, packaged into a signed update.zip and installed through the stock recovery?

chuckhriczko

now i see the catch 22...sorry im new to all this and dont have an EVO to experiment with...
could this kernel be combined with the standard ramdisk into a boot.img, packaged into a signed update.zip and installed through the stock recovery?

No. You can't flash anything worthwhile until the phone is rooted. Once this happens expect this forum to explode.

toastcfh

Feb 11, 2009
Lakeland, FL
No we need root and the ability. To flash a custom recovery. Basically. The catch 22 is we need root before we can do anything custom

Shidell

Jan 21, 2009
By flashing an updated NBH, doesn't that overwrite both the Kernel and the OS on the NAND? If so, couldn't we replace the Kernel with one with root, and also provide for our own (AOSP, etc.) builds of Android?

Essentially, I'm wondering what the breakdown process is for recovery. The bootloader (Power + Volume on boot) is stored on the ROM, so regardless of "bricking" your device, you should always be able to get back to the bootloader to recover, correct?

If that's the case, what stops us from simply building an NBH with the current (locked) Kernel, but with modified system files for our own ROM?

joeykrim

Jan 9, 2009
By flashing an updated NBH, doesn't that overwrite both the Kernel and the OS on the NAND? If so, couldn't we replace the Kernel with one with root, and also provide for our own (AOSP, etc.) builds of Android?

Essentially, I'm wondering what the breakdown process is for recovery. The bootloader (Power + Volume on boot) is stored on the ROM, so regardless of "bricking" your device, you should always be able to get back to the bootloader to recover, correct?

If that's the case, what stops us from simply building an NBH with the current (locked) Kernel, but with modified system files for our own ROM?

we're thinking alike here. some of this terminology is new to me and some isnt. hopefully this makes sense. im gonna reword but ask the same question as above (at least i think same question) plus another question. im doing a lot of research and tryin to word things correctly...

this might be the same question as above, are we able to trick the supersonic RUU released here into loading our own rom.zip file (NBH)? (we were able to do this with the samsung moment)

if not, are we able to use the fastboot-bootloader mode (samsung moment doesnt have this) to install a custom recovery? if so, we are then waiting on a custom recovery to be developed?

Shidell

Jan 21, 2009
I think we are heading down the same path. :)

My understanding is that flashing a new "ROM" via NBH will replace both the Kernel and the OS (Android) files on the NAND, as both live there. The only item that lives in the ROM itself is the bootloader, which should always persist. With this understanding, even if you totally destroy your Kernel and/or Android OS, you should always be able to power the device to bootloader mode (Power + Volume) to flash (and therefore replace/restore) a new Kernel/OS to your phone.

If that's the case, then root access isn't necessary. All root access will allow us to do is some fancy side operations, like running a ROM (OS) manager inside Android--and who really wants to do that? Most of us want to be able to load a single custom build of Android, optimized and designed the way we want, right?

My thought process is this:

HTC should be releasing the EVO Kernel source on developer.htc.com by the official launch. With that, we can compile the Kernel ourselves (if we can't otherwise find it compiled) and theoretically bundle that with our own OS compilation of Android into a .NBH. This .NBH could then be flashed via the bootloader, replacing both the stock OS and the Kernel with what we've bundled.

This would seem to mean we wouldn't have root access, but we wouldn't need it, as we could simply update the OS files, build an .NBH, and provide it to users to flash. This could mean that custom distros would be a single contained file--one file to flash and that's it, you're updated.

Thoughts? Is this accurate?

If this is the case, we should start looking at the Kernel and the .NBH format rather than obtaining root, because once we understand the .NBH, we can load whatever we want (including a Kernel with root access, if desired.)

toastcfh

Feb 11, 2009
Lakeland, FL
I think we are heading down the same path. :)

My understanding is that flashing a new "ROM" via NBH will replace both the Kernel and the OS (Android) files on the NAND, as both live there. The only item that lives in the ROM itself is the bootloader, which should always persist. With this understanding, even if you totally destroy your Kernel and/or Android OS, you should always be able to power the device to bootloader mode (Power + Volume) to flash (and therefore replace/restore) a new Kernel/OS to your phone.

If that's the case, then root access isn't necessary. All root access will allow us to do is some fancy side operations, like running a ROM (OS) manager inside Android--and who really wants to do that? Most of us want to be able to load a single custom build of Android, optimized and designed the way we want, right?

My thought process is this:

HTC should be releasing the EVO Kernel source on developer.htc.com by the official launch. With that, we can compile the Kernel ourselves (if we can't otherwise find it compiled) and theoretically bundle that with our own OS compilation of Android into a .NBH. This .NBH could then be flashed via the bootloader, replacing both the stock OS and the Kernel with what we've bundled.

This would seem to mean we wouldn't have root access, but we wouldn't need it, as we could simply update the OS files, build an .NBH, and provide it to users to flash. This could mean that custom distros would be a single contained file--one file to flash and that's it, you're updated.

Thoughts? Is this accurate?

If this is the case, we should start looking at the Kernel and the .NBH format rather than obtaining root, because once we understand the .NBH, we can load whatever we want (including a Kernel with root access, if desired.)

ok.. the bootloader isnt gonna let us flash anything that isnt for the phone that ive heard of at least. the bootloader is only gonna let us flash rom.zips signed by htc unless we have a engineering spl. if we had that we could fastboot whatever we want. but it is also my understanding that the new engineering spls will not let us flash to certain major partitions (ie rocovery, and boot) anyhow this i think was an issue for the desire that modaco rooted and he found a way around it. we need a recovery for sure. as starting a new with no backups and such would be nothing more then a pain. we should focus i think on obtaining a engineering SPL from someone nice who wants to hook us up or a exploit of some sort. we need to gain read/write access to system, boot and recovery partitions. we do that and we can do what we want with the device. were not gonna be able to just flash a kernel, boot.img, system, or update.zip thats not official without the ability to gain access to the recovery partition.

in an exploit we would have root user status and we would have write perms on system at that point we could possible add flash_image to bin, chmod it and use that to flash a new recovery. write access is all we need. if ur idea was possible all we would need to do is flash a distro with root access and then flash the recovery partition with a custom recovery. a custome recovery will give us the ability to flash, backup and restore whatever we want. so long story short we need root user status in any event so we can gain access to recovery partition.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm looking for the latest and greatest kernel for the HTC EVO 4G from Sprint. I purchased my wonderful EVO on June 4th 2010 and this kernel was the best thing known to man at the time.

Where can I get an updated version of this? I won't run anything on my phone except either HTC's kernel or ToAsTcFh kernel.
    Please help me find ToAsTcFh's latest kernel thread?
    Hi ToAsTcFh!
    Super fast, very responsive, can I get it with sbc ?
    What does cfh stand for?

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

Cowboys From Hell, where have you been?

pantera-cowboys-from-hell-poster.jpg