[**SOLVED**] 2.3.12 REenable ad hoc wifi networks under ICS - wpa_supplicant

Search This thread
Jul 31, 2012
Lagos
pls help

pls help i made a very grave and stupid mistake(out of anxiety)i did not make a back up of the original wpa_supplicant file that was in system/bin before replacing it,now my WiFi is stuck at turning WiFi on,need help as to what to do and how to go about it as i am an android noob

inder2809

Aug 24, 2012
ICS on the Prime, for many, took a step back and now claims "ad hoc networks are not supported". So, many of us who have been tethering the last few weeks via a tethering app now cannot as ICS is seeing the network as ad hoc and is now reporting that is not supported. I personally used wireless tether under Honeycomb every single day on my Prime. Now, for me, and many, we cannot. I have a whole growing thread in the general area and it really seems this is the root of the issue for those of us that do not have built in wifi hot spots and use a tether app.

So, is this something a dev can sort out? How to get back ad hoc network support under ICS on the Prime? I have seen topics on it in google like this one, but this "fix" did not work.

(BTW - if a mod thinks this is not in the right place and wants to move it to the General thread, please just delete this as there is already a thread there, but a help request in the dev area seemed logical. If not, sorry.)

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

IT HAS BEEN SOLVED 2.3.12

Based on a post I read the other day, and that I was asked to test today, I decided to try 1 more time and it worked!! But not how I expected. I tried 3 tests... the final one worked!!

So, here is the process:

1. root is required AND make sure you have your file system app (like Root Explorer) set to make files R/W so you can edit/rename/set permissions
2. turn off wifi
3. go into system/bin and rename wpa_supplicant2 to wpa_supplicant2.bak - that's right folks.. it is NOT wpa_supplicant but wpa_supplicant2 that is running the show
3. download the wpa_supplicant file found here post #24 in my other thread
4. unzip it
5. rename it wpa_supplicant2 NOT wpa_supplicant
6. move it to system/bin and paste it
7. set permissions to xxx, x, xxx (columns) - see more details below if confused
8. go back and start up wifi
9. turn on wifi analyzer and you will see (*)AndroidTether with no red Ad Hoc notation!!
10. click to connect
11. surf and tether away!!

No rebooting needed, it is instant

I am using the good old original Wireless tether 2.0.7 app I always used! None of those beta releases and picking settings and blah blah

Yes, I was able to connect right back to my local wifi with no issues as well!

PLEASE hit the thanks button, I worked long and hard on trying to get this to work

#7 details if you don't understand permissions settings

When you set permissions (long press the file) a pop-up opens and it shows 3 columns with 3 checkboxes in each. Each "x" is to be checked

Read...Write...Execute
x..........x..........x
x......................x
x......................x
Hey Buddy..there is no wp_supplicant2 file /bin has got just two files starting wid "wpa" wpa_supplicant and wpa_cli :((

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ICS on the Prime, for many, took a step back and now claims "ad hoc networks are not supported". So, many of us who have been tethering the last few weeks via a tethering app now cannot as ICS is seeing the network as ad hoc and is now reporting that is not supported. I personally used wireless tether under Honeycomb every single day on my Prime. Now, for me, and many, we cannot. I have a whole growing thread in the general area and it really seems this is the root of the issue for those of us that do not have built in wifi hot spots and use a tether app.

So, is this something a dev can sort out? How to get back ad hoc network support under ICS on the Prime? I have seen topics on it in google like this one, but this "fix" did not work.

(BTW - if a mod thinks this is not in the right place and wants to move it to the General thread, please just delete this as there is already a thread there, but a help request in the dev area seemed logical. If not, sorry.)

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

IT HAS BEEN SOLVED 2.3.12

Based on a post I read the other day, and that I was asked to test today, I decided to try 1 more time and it worked!! But not how I expected. I tried 3 tests... the final one worked!!

So, here is the process:

1. root is required AND make sure you have your file system app (like Root Explorer) set to make files R/W so you can edit/rename/set permissions
    2. turn off wifi
    3. go into system/bin and rename wpa_supplicant2 to wpa_supplicant2.bak - that's right folks.. it is NOT wpa_supplicant but wpa_supplicant2 that is running the show
    3. download the wpa_supplicant file found here post #24 in my other thread
    4. unzip it
    5. rename it wpa_supplicant2 NOT wpa_supplicant
    6. move it to system/bin and paste it
    7. set permissions to xxx, x, xxx (columns) - see more details below if confused
    8. go back and start up wifi
    9. turn on wifi analyzer and you will see (*)AndroidTether with no red Ad Hoc notation!!
    10. click to connect
    11. surf and tether away!!

No rebooting needed, it is instant

I am using the good old original Wireless tether 2.0.7 app I always used! None of those beta releases and picking settings and blah blah

Yes, I was able to connect right back to my local wifi with no issues as well!

PLEASE hit the thanks button, I worked long and hard on trying to get this to work

#7 details if you don't understand permissions settings

When you set permissions (long press the file) a pop-up opens and it shows 3 columns with 3 checkboxes in each. Each "x" is to be checked

Read...Write...Execute
    x..........x..........x
    x......................x
    x......................x
    hxxp://tabletroms.com/forums/ice-cream-sandwich-adam/4262-working-ni-adam-ics-adhoc.html

tested and works fine on my 10.1 tab running ICS
    YMMV

-edit- tried to add as attachment
    While I understand that it's easier to just talk to a dev over IRC, I really hope a working solution can be released here soon.
    I seriously wish people would research the true issue before just posting up that "it works"... there is a whole HUGE thread that explains why it does not AND IF IT DOES why it does work for you and not others.

Not only that... there are whole trial and error tests with ALL versions of Wireless tether - including all beta versions.
    check post 1.. directions and screenshot are in place!!

(please hit the thanks button :) )