Killing Sprint and turning the phone in a mini-tablet?

Search This thread

gatsu_1981

Jan 4, 2009
nerd-tech.it
Hello, that's something that I am not able to achieve.
How I can completely kill the phone signal, telling to Android that the phone is just a tablet, so it doesn't even try to bring it up?

Sorry for the strange question, but I have bought a BAD ESN from America for using it as a GPS device and multimedia player in my car, but the battery on standby is really bad.
I have a Samsung Galaxy Chat and I am using it as a working phone, so when it is on standby wifi is disconnected, no data etc.
It does have a tiny battery but on standby it runs for much days without depleting the battery.

But on the Spring Galaxy something is really wrong. Before downloading a Spring Diagnostic app and turning as much as possible off, the battery would deplete in one night (100% to 15% in 8 hours...). Now it deplete a 15% in one night, but it's still too much.

I tried in the past weeks to uninstall phone.apk, mms.apk, telephone providers, setting hw.nophone to true on build.prop to true... But it only killed the phone settings and I couldn't even switch the phone on airplane mode, so the battery was still depleting really fast.

Any idea? I tried on stock rom, cm 10.1 and now on paranoid android.
I noticed that the Samsung Galaxy tab 7 is just the same as the Galaxy nexus... It could be used something from there? http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/P3110_Info

Last edited:

amf100

Jan 30, 2011
Not to be sarcastic, but Airplane Mode? That turns the radios off. You can still turn on wifi and gps individually, as well as bluetooth.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

gatsu_1981

Jan 4, 2009
nerd-tech.it
R: Killing Sprint and turning the phone in a mini-tablet?

I already said that I couldn't even switch airplane mode when I removed apks... So it means that I know what airplane mode is ;)

Now it IS in airplane mode just with wifi on (off on screen off, on when I turn the device on) but still it takes a little more than a day and half to deplete my battery.

Inviato dal mio Galaxy Nexus con Tapatalk 2

amf100

Jan 30, 2011
Well, you can always get to airplane mode by holding the power button. Figured you knew that lol. Seems you got to it. Perhaps you shouldn't expect more than you're getting out of it. This phone us not known for its prolonged battery life lol. The time you're getting without the mobile radio on in comparison to having the radio on should be drastically different. Can't make it do what it can't do.

Reactions: CRIME INC.

gatsu_1981

Jan 4, 2009
nerd-tech.it

I have a GSM one too.
I will try to let it stay in airplane mode for an half day for having a comparison.

icreative

Mar 25, 2008
Odessa
My Galaxy Nexus eat a lot of energy too. But i have verizon with FC12 radio because i can set up evdo at Ukraine on it. Maybe have some ideas how to optimize?

gatsu_1981

Jan 4, 2009
nerd-tech.it

I am a developer (just not yet an android one) and I was asking for developing suggestion if it would be necessary...
I think that my next step will be to search in the Galaxy 7 cyanogen documentation and try to build something custom.

jeremerw

Apr 13, 2011
Is there a such thing as a tablet interface in Jelly Bean anymore? I thought they made it the same as the phone? I use a ToroPlus as a WiFi device by dialing *#*#4636#*#*, choosing phone options and scrolling down and turning off the radio as some else has mentioned. It reverts to on when you restart the phone though. Battery life is much better with it off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Coycaine

gatsu_1981

Jan 4, 2009
nerd-tech.it
Maybe for you it's a noob question, but I didn't ask how to disable the cell signal, I managed to do it.
I asked what is different between a ROM for a tablet and a ROM for a phone. I wanted to know some deeper level stuff.
Sorry if it does seems a noob question, english is not my primary language.

Is there a such thing as a tablet interface in Jelly Bean anymore? I thought they made it the same as the phone? I use a ToroPlus as a WiFi device by dialing *#*#4636#*#*, choosing phone options and scrolling down and turning off the radio as some else has mentioned. It reverts to on when you restart the phone though. Battery life is much better with it off.

I don' really remember. I tried some android tablet, those had the "peoples" app, but I don't really remember if there is the chance to actually call someone with the android dialer (even with skype or SIP).

BTW: thanks, you are one of the few that actually read my post and tried to help.
As I said, battery life is much better now with something removed instead of just the apk deleted away, but the battery (without anything going on as sync, or wifi, or cellular line) is really shi*ty... That's why I started this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

efrant

Retired Senior Moderator & Developers Relations
Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
Ok, thread cleaned.

If you don't have anything to contribute, don't post.

And if someone posts in the wrong forum, just report it. There is absolutely no reason to post in the thread (and bump it while doing so). By replying, you are contributing to the problem, and may get yourself in trouble for offensive posts.

Reactions: killersloth

gmfeny

Mar 21, 2007
Ok, thread cleaned.

And if someone posts in the wrong forum, just report it. There is absolutely no reason to post in the thread (and bump it while doing so). By replying, you are contributing to the problem, and may get yourself in trouble for offensive posts.

Why was my reply deleted? I suggested a car charger

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

gatsu_1981

Jan 4, 2009
nerd-tech.it

Why was my reply deleted? I suggested a car charger

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Maybe because I didn't ask for battery charger or extended battery? And btw, I already have an official Samsung dock that's working for my GSM and sprint nexus

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well, you can always get to airplane mode by holding the power button. Figured you knew that lol. Seems you got to it. Perhaps you shouldn't expect more than you're getting out of it. This phone us not known for its prolonged battery life lol. The time you're getting without the mobile radio on in comparison to having the radio on should be drastically different. Can't make it do what it can't do.

Dial *#*#4636#*#* then scroll down to radio and turn it off..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app
    Ok, thread cleaned.